Using My Us Ebay Account And Paying With A Us Paypal Account

The last time I used eBay and paypal, I was back in the states over 5 years ago. I now live in Thailand and want to purchase items and have them ship to my Thailand address. The reason I ask, I recently purchased vitamins at an online vendor and they had the option to checkout with paypal. That option brought me the the paypal website and it ignored theThai ship to address on the sellers website but it had no option to enter a foreign shipping address. Would I have the same problem using my US eBay account if I want to pay with my US paypal account?

I've often payed for things with a US based paypal and bank account. just have to take an extra step once and add your Thai address as an authorized address to your paypal profile.

I have already tried this. When I go to my US paypal account and add a new address, the country defaults to "United States" and cannot be changed, so can you please tell me how you have been able to add a foreign address.

I'm sure you can't add a Thai address to a US paypal account.The address can only be the same as the one registered to the bankaccount or credit card linked to the paypal account.

To send it to your Thai address you will just have to contact the seller and ask if he accept to send it there.Keep in mind that shipments sent to a different address as the registered one are NOT protected by the paypal buyer protection program.

I'm sure you can't add a Thai address to a US paypal account.The address can only be the same as the one registered to the bankaccount or credit card linked to the paypal account.

To send it to your Thai address you will just have to contact the seller and ask if he accept to send it there.Keep in mind that shipments sent to a different address as the registered one are NOT protected by the paypal buyer protection program.

Incorrect. I have a U.S. PayPal account and have several shipping addresses setup in Ebay/PayPal...one to my military APO address in Bangkok which is a USPS address, one to my home address in Bangkok (i.e., an international address), and one to my sister in the States. I've used them all. Now, the international address and sister's address shows up as an unconfirmed address (or at least use to) since my credit cards/bank accounts have my APO address. Some Ebay sellers/shippers may have issues with unconfirmed addresses, although personally I haven't run across one yet in my Ebay buys as I have had Ebay items paid via PayPal and shipped to all three above mentioned addresses...to include recent shipments over the past few months....no problems. Heck, many Ebay buys are done as gifts and shipped to an address other than the Ebay purchasers address...that is why Ebay/PayPal allows multiple shipping addresses.

Be sure you have the shipping address established in Ebay/PayPal before accomplising the payment.

Edited by Pib

I know paypal offers buyer protection but I thought that eBay also offers buyer protection whether you use paypal (their subsidiary) or your own payment method.

Also I know you can add additional addresses on paypal besides your home address which is your CC billing address.

Edited by vagabond48

Incorrect. I have a U.S. PayPal account and have several shipping addresses setup in Ebay/PayPal...one to my military APO address in Bangkok which is a USPS address, one to my home address in Bangkok (i.e., an international address), and one to my sister in the States. I've used them all. Now, the international address and sister's address shows up as an unconfirmed address (or at least use to) since my credit cards/bank accounts have my APO address. Some Ebay sellers/shippers may have issues with unconfirmed addresses, although personally I haven't run across one yet in my Ebay buys as I have had Ebay items paid via PayPal and shipped to all three above mentioned addresses...to include recent shipments over the past few months....no problems. Heck, many Ebay buys are done as gifts and shipped to an address other than the Ebay purchasers address...that is why Ebay/PayPal allows multiple shipping addresses.

Be sure you have the shipping address established in Ebay/PayPal before accomplising the payment.

Can you please clarify? You refer to Ebay/Paypal several times. I too have my shipping Thai home address on my US eBay account but I cannot put that same address on my paypal account so can I assume that your non-APO Thai address is only on your US eBay account? If not, how are you able to add your non-APO Thai address on Paypal?

Edited by vagabond48

Simply go into your personal information in your ebay account and change the postage address (it may say shipping address for US accounts) to your Thai address, you do not need to change any other account info or change your Paypal address as all ebay purchases are know shown as the postage address on your ebay account and not your Paypal one.

My Paypal account is shown as my UK address but my ebay posting address is shown as here and I have never had any problems when I purchase stuff on ebay, when you purchase and go to check out it will show your Thai address for the shipping address and that is what the seller will see assuming that you have changed it before purchasing.

Edited by darrendsd

Thanks for the all the comments.

Here is my final clarification for future inquiring posters.

I have 2 addresses in my US eBay account,

The 1st is listed as,

Primary shipping address:

Your main shipping address for purchases

>I entered my Thailand home address.

The 2nd is listed as,

PayPal address:

This address is linked from your PayPal account

>This is my US home/billing address and again my US Paypal account DOES NOT allow me to add a foreign address since the country defaults to United States and CANNOT be changed.

Edited by vagabond48

Don't know but you could have your items shipped to a company in the states ans they will forward them here you can also save taxes and duties that way as they repackage before shipping.

http://www.shipitapo.com/home.php

Have you used this service?

I was curious because I always thought APO?FPO etc. was for active military stationed overseas only

APO = Air/Army Post Office

FPO = Fleet Post Office

DPO not sure

https://www.usps.com/ship/apo-fpo-guidelines.htm

OP

Although not in Thailand at the moment I did have the same problem as you because I live in a rural area with only

PO boxes.........For years the Paypal Ebay rule/recommendation to shippers/sellers was to only ship to the billable Paypal

address.

I got around it by contacting sellers before I bought & explaining the situation.

All of them agreed to send it to my shipping address no problem.

If all else fails you can try that.

I see what you mean. Something must have changed. First of all I checked again and my APO, Bangkok address, and sister's addresses were listed in both Ebay and PayPal address profiles. But I did notice when checking my Ebay shipping addresses I had more shipping addresses listed there than in PayPal.

Now as someone mentioned earlier PayPay addresses are linked to your credit card/bank account....these addresses also are "confirmed" addresses. Or a cut and paste taken from the "Ebay" Add An Address area there is a note that says. "Note - Some sellers require shipment to a credit card billing address registered at PayPal (also known as a Confirmed Address)." As mentioned I also have my Bangkok address listed in PayPal but I don't have anything other than U.S. credit cards which use my APO address, but I do have a Bangkok Bank debit card which I use to have linked in PayPal up until a few months ago when I deleted becasuse I got a new debit card with new number and didn't want to go through the process of readding it...maybe that is how I got my Bangkok address into PayPal...I can't remember. But when it comes to my sister's address in the U.S. I don't have any cards tied to that address...but I definitely added it to PayPal before and it's there now.

Before leaving the Ebay Add/Update An Address area I added another Bangkok shipping address...just made it up...it added OK. So, I then logged on my PapPal account and wanted to see if could add it there...you are right, when I started the add an address it defaults to the United States and you can't change it. Basically it seems to saying since it's an U.S. PayPal account you can't have a international address. But as I mentioned I was able to add international shipping addresses in Ebay no problem and I must have been able to add it to PayPal before because I have my Bangkok address there also...along with the sister's. I even tried using VPN to see if it made a difference it what addresses I could add but it didn't.

But as of today I too can not add any new address to my PayPal account unless it's a U.S. address. But since a person with a U.S. "Ebay" account can still add international shipping addresses, then I can continue to add whatever U.S. or international shipping address I want to in those cases where I want to send a Gift or do a buy for someone.

Don't know but you could have your items shipped to a company in the states ans they will forward them here you can also save taxes and duties that way as they repackage before shipping.

http://www.shipitapo.com/home.php

Have you used this service?

I was curious because I always thought APO?FPO etc. was for active military stationed overseas only

APO = Air/Army Post Office

FPO = Fleet Post Office

DPO not sure

https://www.usps.com...-guidelines.htm

Not limited to only active duty; a miltiary retiree can have a APO/FPO addresses also if the APO/FPO has the extra boxes to issue out.

Thanks for the all the comments.

Here is my final clarification for future inquiring posters.

I have 2 addresses in my US eBay account,

The 1st is listed as,

Primary shipping address:

Your main shipping address for purchases

>I entered my Thailand home address.

The 2nd is listed as,

PayPal address:

This address is linked from your PayPal account

>This is my US home/billing address and again my US Paypal account DOES NOT allow me to add a foreign address since the country defaults to United States and CANNOT be changed.

when u make your purchase on ebay, select the thai address. you will still be able to pay with paypal.

but as far as making it a linked address or adding it as a paypal address, that you can't do.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

I see what you mean. Something must have changed. First of all I checked again and my APO, Bangkok address, and sister's addresses were listed in both Ebay and PayPal address profiles. But I did notice when checking my Ebay shipping addresses I had more shipping addresses listed there than in PayPal.

Now as someone mentioned earlier PayPay addresses are linked to your credit card/bank account....these addresses also are "confirmed" addresses. Or a cut and paste taken from the "Ebay" Add An Address area there is a note that says. "Note - Some sellers require shipment to a credit card billing address registered at PayPal (also known as a Confirmed Address)." As mentioned I also have my Bangkok address listed in PayPal but I don't have anything other than U.S. credit cards which use my APO address, but I do have a Bangkok Bank debit card which I use to have linked in PayPal up until a few months ago when I deleted becasuse I got a new debit card with new number and didn't want to go through the process of readding it...maybe that is how I got my Bangkok address into PayPal...I can't remember. But when it comes to my sister's address in the U.S. I don't have any cards tied to that address...but I definitely added it to PayPal before and it's there now.

Before leaving the Ebay Add/Update An Address area I added another Bangkok shipping address...just made it up...it added OK. So, I then logged on my PapPal account and wanted to see if could add it there...you are right, when I started the add an address it defaults to the United States and you can't change it. Basically it seems to saying since it's an U.S. PayPal account you can't have a international address. But as I mentioned I was able to add international shipping addresses in Ebay no problem and I must have been able to add it to PayPal before because I have my Bangkok address there also...along with the sister's. I even tried using VPN to see if it made a difference it what addresses I could add but it didn't.

But as of today I too can not add any new address to my PayPal account unless it's a U.S. address. But since a person with a U.S. "Ebay" account can still add international shipping addresses, then I can continue to add whatever U.S. or international shipping address I want to in those cases where I want to send a Gift or do a buy for someone.

That "someone" was Janverbeem and so in fact he was correct instead of incorrect. jap.gif

That "someone" was Janverbeem and so in fact he was correct instead of incorrect. jap.gif

happysanook was correct too

;)

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Correct if you meant only your billing address but you can add additional USA addresses not associated with your CC.

This appears to be incorrect. As already stated by several posters including myself, you can have a foreign shipping address on your eBay account and buying through eBay does give you "eBay" buyer protection regardless of which payment options the seller allows. wai.gif

For all of us folks with U.S. PayPay and Ebay accounts you might just want to go to your "PayPal" account and see if you can "now" add an international address. I think you will find out you cannot, regardless of whether you were able to do it before or currently have some international addresses loaded in PayPal like I do. I did a test the other night on PayPal and could not load any addresses other than an United States address.

But a person can still add any worldwide location address for an Ebay "shipping" address, repeat, an "Ebay" "Shipping" address.

So instead of basing your posts on memories of how it "use to be" or what you currently have loaded (like I initially posted), go do a test yourself on your PayPal account.

And even though we have been talking a United States PayPay account, it wouldn't surprise me if some one with say a U.K. PayPal account can only add a U.K. address in PayPal assuming their credit card/bank account is a U.K. account. And along the same line could add any shiipping address in their U.K. Ebay account. But then again this U.K. PayPal what-if example may not be correct because maybe it was just some U.S. law affecting U.S. accounts only....different laws in different countries.