Tempting Gsxr

wana

found a nice GSXR but the seller claims it has no book and never had a book ,he bought it cheap a year ago without book and hes selling it cheap the same way he bought it ,so thats the situation :)

the strange thing is ,it has a bangkok number plates and a disc from variaya insurnance company

the insurance disc has the correct number plate stamped on it and correct frame number of the machine

i called the insurance company to see if its real and they asked if its a suzuki GSXR is it on and confirmed everything is correct

i told them the book got lost they say if lost green book just bring it to DLT and they will make a new one

surely it cant be so simple or the seller would just go and pick up the new book and sell it for triple the value $$$?

one more thing ,how did the guy manage to buy insurance without any green book ? every time i buy a new policy the first thing they ask for is the green book

I would first check if it is stolen. Did you ask Viriyah (that is the correct name of the insurance company, I wouldn't normally nitpick but the company is owned by distant relatives and it is a contraction of my surname) if there was ever a theft claim on it? You might also want to take the VIN's to the BIB to ask if it has ever been declared as stolen. It is possible to get insurance without a green book. Did you ask the seller about why it has a plate and insurance? And is it possible for you to take the plate number, VIN number to the DLT and ask them if there is a book? I would just tell them that you are thinking about buying a motorcycle and wanted to see if it has a legitimate book. If it does have a legitimate book it would be a great deal, and could possibly get a book for it (if it has been in their computer systems recently). Unless the purchase price is throwaway kind of money, it does not seem too difficult to find the history. As I said it may be stolen, or maybe it may be financed and the seller never made the payments. You should look into it before buying.

I would first check if it is stolen. Did you ask Viriyah (that is the correct name of the insurance company, I wouldn't normally nitpick but the company is owned by distant relatives and it is a contraction of my surname) if there was ever a theft claim on it? You might also want to take the VIN's to the BIB to ask if it has ever been declared as stolen. It is possible to get insurance without a green book. Did you ask the seller about why it has a plate and insurance? And is it possible for you to take the plate number, VIN number to the DLT and ask them if there is a book? I would just tell them that you are thinking about buying a motorcycle and wanted to see if it has a legitimate book. If it does have a legitimate book it would be a great deal, and could possibly get a book for it (if it has been in their computer systems recently). Unless the purchase price is throwaway kind of money, it does not seem too difficult to find the history. As I said it may be stolen, or maybe it may be financed and the seller never made the payments. You should look into it before buying.

its a farang whos selling it ,he was here working but hes going home

apparently there is no book and he bought it that way

he said it can be insured but not taxed and when he got stopped he just paid 400 thb to police for not displaying the tax and say it fell off yesterday :)

yep

Insurance can be made without book, just state framenumber and you have Por Or Bor. Now if Insurance in addition has a plate number on it, it gets interesting

Check with Police in CAR1Q, and give them a pack of cigarettes to print it. Check platenumber, framenumber, If they match, focus on owners name and adress.

With this in hand, visit DLT and check what is logged in book. Stolen, owners status, DSI focus etc

Only reg owner can request for a new book, by a proxy if not present

its a farang whos selling it ,he was here working but hes going home

apparently there is no book and he bought it that way

he said it can be insured but not taxed and when he got stopped he just paid 400 thb to police for not displaying the tax and say it fell off yesterday smile.png

with a print of CAR1Q it can be taxed despite no book at hand. done it

Ditto to Katabeachbum. The insurance company doesn't care if it has a green book or not; they are quite happy to take your money regardless.

You say the plates are BKK? Is the bike in BKK, or is it Pattaya? The plates could be stolen, which could lead to another mess. If it is a really really really good price (like a price that you won't cry over if the bike gets impounded from you) just buy it. Otherwise, I would just have it checked by police and DLT.

Ditto to Katabeachbum. The insurance company doesn't care if it has a green book or not; they are quite happy to take your money regardless.

You say the plates are BKK? Is the bike in BKK, or is it Pattaya? The plates could be stolen, which could lead to another mess. If it is a really really really good price (like a price that you won't cry over if the bike gets impounded from you) just buy it. Otherwise, I would just have it checked by police and DLT.

it is very very cheap , probably 1/3rd of the usual price of a legal one and the bike runs great ,i had a blast on it and acceleration is nice ,very easy to do power wheelies and the engine / gear box doesnt feel rough at all, both brakes lock the wheel easily ,also got pirelli sport demons and a sports exhaust on it

it is very very cheap , probably 1/3rd of the usual price of a legal one and the bike runs great ,i had a blast on it and acceleration is nice ,very easy to do power wheelies and the engine / gear box doesnt feel rough at all, both brakes lock the wheel easily ,also got pirelli sport demons and a sports exhaust on it

(plates say BKK but the seller lives in nonthaburi but theres always a chance any bike could be stolen ,even if its still in same province )

(plates say BKK but the seller lives in nonthaburi but theres always a chance any bike could be stolen ,even if its still in same province )

well, if you dont want it or want to look into it, let me know and I might want itcowboy.gif

well, if you dont want it or want to look into it, let me know and I might want itcowboy.gif

i definately want it ,i just dont want to get arrested over it cowboy.gif

il check all the advice here and make sure its not stolen

for the price of the bike ,i could justify some 400 thb fines and not feel too bad

Well, first off make sure it isn't stolen. If it is and you are caught riding, you WILL be put in jail. Even if you didn't steal it, or were tricked into buying it...it really won't matter. You will be the one arrested for being on a stolen bike.

If it is not stolen, then by all means buy it IF (and only if) you are willing to walk away from the money if the bike gets impounded. The old saying is, never invest in Thailand more than you are willing to lose. If you are comfortable with the idea that your bike could be taken away from you tomorrow and you will lose your money and never see it again, then buy it. It's YOUR call. MY call is that all MY bikes in Thailand are legitimate with green books. That's a decision I choose to make. Whatever the choice if it's YOUR money is your decision.

The subject of whether or not to buy cheap without a green book has come up many times before. Some say that they are willing to pay the bribes to get out of it. There is also talk that the way the game is played is now changing and that the Police will not take bribes anymore and just impound the bike. Who knows? Whatever happens don't complain if the worst case scenario happens. I really don't want to see a post in the future saying "Help, the bike that I knowingly bought without a green book has been confiscated and I hate the Thai police." You take the risk, you take the consequences. Good luck to you.

Well, first off make sure it isn't stolen. If it is and you are caught riding, you WILL be put in jail. Even if you didn't steal it, or were tricked into buying it...it really won't matter. You will be the one arrested for being on a stolen bike.

If it is not stolen, then by all means buy it IF (and only if) you are willing to walk away from the money if the bike gets impounded. The old saying is, never invest in Thailand more than you are willing to lose. If you are comfortable with the idea that your bike could be taken away from you tomorrow and you will lose your money and never see it again, then buy it. It's YOUR call. MY call is that all MY bikes in Thailand are legitimate with green books. That's a decision I choose to make. Whatever the choice if it's YOUR money is your decision.

The subject of whether or not to buy cheap without a green book has come up many times before. Some say that they are willing to pay the bribes to get out of it. There is also talk that the way the game is played is now changing and that the Police will not take bribes anymore and just impound the bike. Who knows? Whatever happens don't complain if the worst case scenario happens. I really don't want to see a post in the future saying "Help, the bike that I knowingly bought without a green book has been confiscated and I hate the Thai police." You take the risk, you take the consequences. Good luck to you.

i agree totally , all my bikes have real green books and they are all taxed and insured religiously

i dont even have any illegal modifications on them ,i was thinking to tune up my elegance for fun with a big bore kit up to 300cc and put a performance pipe on it but ive heard of and even seen bikes being took to the staion and impounded because they are not road legal

a young thai gentleman was very upset once when his bike was confiscated in dindeang for a for having an exhaust that sounded like a impreza turbo

after plenty of pleading and argueing the cop pushed him out of the way and hopped on the kawsaki and drove off and the young guy had to walk off without his wheels

if they would do it to a thai they would certainty do it to a farang :)

i agree totally , all my bikes have real green books and they are all taxed and insured religiously i dont even have any illegal modifications on them ,i was thinking to tune up my elegance for fun with a big bore kit up to 300cc and put a performance pipe on it but ive heard of and even seen bikes being took to the staion and impounded because they are not road legal a young thai gentleman was very upset once when his bike was confiscated in dindeang for a for having an exhaust that sounded like a impreza turbo after plenty of pleading and argueing the cop pushed him out of the way and hopped on the kawsaki and drove off and the young guy had to walk off without his wheels if they would do it to a thai they would certainty do it to a farang :)

Nonsense.

Max fine for illegal vehicle modification is 1000 Baht, but you can usually just slip 'em 100 and be on your way.

i agree totally , all my bikes have real green books and they are all taxed and insured religiously i dont even have any illegal modifications on them ,i was thinking to tune up my elegance for fun with a big bore kit up to 300cc and put a performance pipe on it but ive heard of and even seen bikes being took to the staion and impounded because they are not road legal a young thai gentleman was very upset once when his bike was confiscated in dindeang for a for having an exhaust that sounded like a impreza turbo after plenty of pleading and argueing the cop pushed him out of the way and hopped on the kawsaki and drove off and the young guy had to walk off without his wheels if they would do it to a thai they would certainty do it to a farang smile.png

Nonsense.

Max fine for illegal vehicle modification is 1000 Baht, but you can usually just slip 'em 100 and be on your way.

Come on Tony

moded bikes are being impounded every day

big bikes usually ignored, but loud twist&go piles up

and trying to slip a couple of hundred on a major road block with stars and stripes and DLT present, you dont last long

with a couple of single boys in brown agree thocowboy.gif

i agree totally , all my bikes have real green books and they are all taxed and insured religiously i dont even have any illegal modifications on them ,i was thinking to tune up my elegance for fun with a big bore kit up to 300cc and put a performance pipe on it but ive heard of and even seen bikes being took to the staion and impounded because they are not road legal a young thai gentleman was very upset once when his bike was confiscated in dindeang for a for having an exhaust that sounded like a impreza turbo after plenty of pleading and argueing the cop pushed him out of the way and hopped on the kawsaki and drove off and the young guy had to walk off without his wheels if they would do it to a thai they would certainty do it to a farang smile.png

Nonsense.

Come on Tony

and trying to slip a couple of hundred on a major road block with stars and stripes and DLT present, you dont last long

Honestly I've never heard of a car or bike being impounded in Thailand for illegal modification. Ticketed yes. Impounded? No.

Even back in the US where the cops can be real dicks the most they ever do is issue a citation.

I ride a lot and some of my bikes are stoopid-loud but the worst that ever happens is an occasional 1000 baht ticket.

I rather suspect that impounded bikes in Thailand are NOT being seized due to loud pipes, but more likely because the rider can't prove ownership, is riding without a liscense, bike is unregistered, rider is drunk, etc.

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Nonsense.

Come on Tony

Honestly I've never heard of a car or bike being impounded in Thailand for illegal modification. Ticketed yes. Impounded? No.

Even back in the US where the cops can be real dicks the most they ever do is issue a citation.

I ride a lot and some of my bikes are stoopid-loud but the worst that ever happens is an occasional 1000 baht ticket.

I rather suspect that impounded bikes in Thailand are NOT being seized due to loud pipes, but more likely because the rider can't prove ownership, is riding without a liscense, bike is unregistered, rider is drunk, etc.

Even in Pattaya they only hand out fines http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/police-make-rare-attempt-to-curb-pattaya-noise-pollution-citing-149-for-noisy-vehicles-3390

Ermmm....so is the Yoshimura pipe on my FZR 400 going to get my bike impounded?!?! crazy.gif

its up to each DLT to tell police what they want enforced, but I have never had problems, not even a fine, with big bikes despite 2brothers, Over, Leo Vince or Akropovic. See a bunch of twist and go with Th empty mufflers get impounded thou, in many provinces

Nonsense.

Come on Tony

bikes are impounded every day of the week for mods and it often costs over 1000 to rectify the situation ,ksrs seem to be a preferred target because they are often tuned up to make some power from their hair dryer engines

as usual bigbikbkk is just arguing because hes the sound of his own voice too much

Nonsense.

Come on Tony

bikes are impounded every day of the week for mods and it often costs over 1000 to rectify the situation ,ksrs seem to be a preferred target because they are often tuned up to make some power from their hair dryer engines

as usual bigbikbkk is just arguing because hes the sound of his own voice too much

Um, no... I'm just saying that in my experience I have never seen or heard of a bike or car being impounded due to loud exhaust. Fined yes. Impounded no.

I believe that the bikes you see locked up at police stations are seized because they aren't legally registered or the owner was drunk or high or committed some other crime.

Ermmm....so is the Yoshimura pipe on my FZR 400 going to get my bike impounded?!?! crazy.gif

its up to each DLT to tell police what they want enforced

So I guess that would explain why there are no red plates for big bikes in Bangkok, eh?

It could

in Phuket its the other way around, DLT instructed Police to crack down on anyone using redplates more than 30 days/3k km, and users of ilegal plates imprisoned

I know Non Kai police has recieved same instructions from DLT Nong Kai

I have a simillar thing found a really nice gsx-r 600 but the owner told me hoenstly that the book is fake, however it do have a plate and tax due he was always able to extend at DLT. Would you buy??

if it was cheap enough to lose .............maybe

the one i found was very nice but closer checking found the steering lock has been busted and it could start with the key only half way in

if somethings only a fraction of the real price its probably been liberated at some stage

I have a simillar thing found a really nice gsx-r 600 but the owner told me hoenstly that the book is fake, however it do have a plate and tax due he was always able to extend at DLT. Would you buy??

if its got book/tax and plate from an old bike and possibly even framenumebr from this bike, its up to 5 year in jail. I am to old for this shit, trying to save peanutmoney and risking major criminal charges, are you?

In other words it was stolen then

call me a pessimist but that would be my best guess

of course theres a chance that the owner lost his key,took it to the local somchai and they made a bump key that works

id still walk away ,you can still be prosocuted for a bike that was stolen 15-20 years ago and may have changed hands a dozen times

if you get bad luck

a vehicle is a lot more serious than buying some stolen junk in the night market

I am to old for this shit, trying to save peanutmoney and risking major criminal charges, are you?

Exactly. I don't see the point of all this aggravation.

OK Wana, tell us, how much was this GSXR? I really am not interested in buying it, but I just want to know since we've spent all this time on it. I mean how "good of a deal" do you need to go through all this hassle. Like every time you see a cop, you are worried your bike will be impounded. Fearing every single police checkpoint. I have a legitimate 400cc bike with a legitimate green book. I don't have to worry about it. And I really don't want the aggravation just to have a larger cc bike.

Sure it's not a 750 to 1000cc sportbike like a GSXR. But do I really need that much power in Thailand? Trade off: raw speed for peace of mind. I have a cbr1000rr in the states, and I really don't use the power that is already there. Thailand is too crazy for me to go too fast anyways.

If it is anything more than 75,000 baht, I would just drop the idea of the GSXR. Why? Because there are plenty of 400cc sport bikes with legitimate green books that could be bought for 75,000 baht or less. There have been a couple of CBR400's with updated body kits for less than 80k baht. I had a guy look at my TZM; he ended up buying an Honda RVF/VFR for I believe a little over 60,000 baht.

Why don't you go for something with less power, but legitimate green book so you don't have to worry about it being stolen and you going to jail...or risking having the thing impounded every time you ride.

I am to old for this shit, trying to save peanutmoney and risking major criminal charges, are you?

Exactly. I don't see the point of all this aggravation.

OK Wana, tell us, how much was this GSXR? I really am not interested in buying it, but I just want to know since we've spent all this time on it. I mean how "good of a deal" do you need to go through all this hassle. Like every time you see a cop, you are worried your bike will be impounded. Fearing every single police checkpoint. I have a legitimate 400cc bike with a legitimate green book. I don't have to worry about it. And I really don't want the aggravation just to have a larger cc bike.

Sure it's not a 750 to 1000cc sportbike like a GSXR. But do I really need that much power in Thailand? Trade off: raw speed for peace of mind. I have a cbr1000rr in the states, and I really don't use the power that is already there. Thailand is too crazy for me to go too fast anyways.

If it is anything more than 75,000 baht, I would just drop the idea of the GSXR. Why? Because there are plenty of 400cc sport bikes with legitimate green books that could be bought for 75,000 baht or less. There have been a couple of CBR400's with updated body kits for less than 80k baht. I had a guy look at my TZM; he ended up buying an Honda RVF/VFR for I believe a little over 60,000 baht.

Why don't you go for something with less power, but legitimate green book so you don't have to worry about it being stolen and you going to jail...or risking having the thing impounded every time you ride.

it was 75k but not worth the risk if its too hot to handle

i have a garage full of bikes anyway ,its not like i desperately need another bike

the er6n is plenty fast for thailand but i might get a windbreaker fitted

to it so i get a bit less blasted when its going flat out ,good exercise for the forarms though :)