Chalerm Seeks Speedy Killing Of Drug Convicts

webfact

. But now that executions will move quicker and shave 1 or 2 years off their time on death row, certainly many will now rethink if it is worth it to sell drugs.

LOL! That is such a funny statement. !

They are really gonna think twice now because .........oooooooooooooooooooo I may die 1 or 2 years quicker now?

LOL!

Drug pushers seem to fall into two categories:

- Those Need money for their own habit.

- Those who have no morals whatever, and will do anything to make big money quickly.

Neither of these groups give much thought to the consequences of being caught. If they did they wouldn't get involved.

Thinking 'hey I might get get executed one year earlier' is not in their analysis of this subject.

Did anyone notice that if you substitute " corrupt politician" in place of druggie........ it seems to make better sense...?????

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure his method is correct, but people constantly cry that the war on drugs isn't working. Works for me.

But that's not a reason to lessen the already harsh penalties.

Will the threat of harsher penalties, such as death, have an effect or is the lure of easy money to great for those of limited intelligence?

Regardless, the drug problem sure isn't going away. It's only getting bigger. Legalizing is a ridiculous red-herring thrown out by the uneducated.

Plenty of comments, not many potential solutions.

Enlighten me, please: how is it working?

Most (if not all) killed in this "war" are some poor suckers- and for every one of them killed, there are 3, willing to take the place.

As long as Mamon is the real god in Thailand and wages are low, drug- money is a dangling carrot for the donkey!

The peasants fall (dealers and junkies alike) and the kings and queens go free and unharmed!

The "war" is merely a slaughter and the effect is zero!

As long as you are not willing to go after the big bosses - and you are not, because they most likely your buddies or family- ...forget your "war on drugs"!

It's as effective as the war on terror...!!!

You misread.

I said it "Works for me". In other words, I do not use illegal drugs or contemplate to traffic in illegal drugs because of the possible outcomes should I get caught. I would suggest that is the same reason most intelligent people do not consider trafficking drugs as high on their career list.

I'm all for going after the "big bosses".

I must have missed what your solution was in your post. What was it again?

Honestly: I don't see any solution. At least not here!

In any Utopia I would try to "dry out" the market.

Legalize as many of the drugs as I possibly can and make them available at low prices or for free to people who are "medically certified" addicts.

Start rehab- programs with subtituional drugs on a big scale.

At the same time educate potential (students) and current (hookers) users to the dangers.

And of course, go after those who make the big money in this game.

Hit them hard.

You play with the life of others- we play with yours.

Lifelong detention under the worst (just human) conditions, hard work and seize their assets to fund my real "war on drugs".

Obviously we don't live in a perfect world, otherwise drugs that destory people's lives would not be a problem.

Because we don't live in a perfect world, it's completely reasonable and backed up by overturned verdicts all the time, that the justice system is not perfect. Far from it. So it stands to reason that it's quite likely innocent people would die because of this policy. It would set Thailand back in terms of human rights and progression of society, not move it forward.

Amazing how many people are so quick to be judge jury and executioner without a second thought.

• Like 2

Killing them quicker should really help serve as a deterrent. jerk.gif We know already that criminals weigh the penalty of their crime greatly before committing them .. surely anyone dealing drugs only does it because they know they will only serve 20 to 30 years (or life) in a Thai prison as opposed to be executed. Clearly they are not thinking simply in terms of not getting caught because anybody is happy to serve 20+ years in prison to make a few bucks. But now that executions will move quicker and shave 1 or 2 years off their time on death row, certainly many will now rethink if it is worth it to sell drugs.

Thats not the way it works... I think most sane people would choose a speedy excecution over 20-30-life in a Thai prison

Actually, the vast majority of those committing crimes don't believe they will get caught and therefore don't weigh the possible sentence before committing the crime. If most people would prefer a 20 to 30 year sentence over death and consider the consequences before committing the crime then it would seem the death penalty would actually give them more motive to commit the crime since it is a better sentence.

and this came from Thaksin i take it !

you cant convict a man/women of a crime with a half hearted investigation and then kill them within 60 days, how many innocent people set up will lose thier lives?

If a person is found with vast amounts of Yabba/Ice in their possession then why not a speedy execution ?

Planted? , false confession? , stiching up someone else? ......

the answer is not to kill the mules/small dealers, but to go to the top level !, as all that will happen is someone will take thier place !

At first I thought good stuff but your right its the poor innocents who will be killed and the real scum who deserve this punishment are relaxing in there mansions, in another country, running the country etc.....

Killing them quicker should really help serve as a deterrent. jerk.gif We know already that criminals weigh the penalty of their crime greatly before committing them .. surely anyone dealing drugs only does it because they know they will only serve 20 to 30 years (or life) in a Thai prison as opposed to be executed. Clearly they are not thinking simply in terms of not getting caught because anybody is happy to serve 20+ years in prison to make a few bucks. But now that executions will move quicker and shave 1 or 2 years off their time on death row, certainly many will now rethink if it is worth it to sell drugs.

This is simply wishful thinking on your part. Take the US for example. How many murders do still occur there despite knowing they'll get the death penalty in a lot of states if caught? How many people still deal drugs there despite the fact that they won't be eligible for parole? Or singapore, they even kill people for smuggling marijuana into the country and there's still people doing it. And if you admit your guilt in court you don't even get the death penalty in Thailand. This will have very little impact on the drug trade in Thailand.

[Yes I'm in favour of the death for drugs and murder = the same to me. but look at what happed at Tramkabok Drug Cure Temple in Lop Buri, i spoke to a monk while visiting my son who i put in there for a 3 month treatment 3 years ago, i asked the mook way such a drop in the cure table on display? over the last years start at 2000 to 3000 a year on average then took a dramtic drop late 1999 and early 2000's to 90 or so, the " do gooders " went in and killed the unarmed peacfull people who were in there for a cure cos he said he thought they got paid per head and were easy targets "Of 2,500 deaths in the government's war on drugs in 2003, a fact-finding panel has found that more than half was not involved in drug at all. At a brainstorming session, a representative from the Office of Narcotics Control Board Tuesday disclosed that as many as 1,400 people were killed and labeled as drug suspects despite the fact that they had no link to drugs."

Edited by denishuahin
  • Like 1

What I would like to know is how many people actually die from taking illicit drugs as oppose to those who die from taking prescription drugs?

As the medical establishment is the 3rd biggest killer in the US and the 9th biggest by accidental death it must take some beating!

According to the following site: http://www.naturalnews.com/009278.html 783,936 people per year in USA, from what the report terms 'Conventional Medical Mistakes' 106, 000 of these are due to Prescription drugs. See the Death by Medicine Report, some experts estimate that it may be as high as 200,000 as some adverse effects of medication are not taken into account.

By the way Guatamala has said that it is considering legalising illicit drugs, see today's Bangkok Post. The truth rarely comes out, just an opinionated position continually propagated in the Media for whatever reason. Hence the continuing US led campaign on drugs.

• Like 1

He's just a dictator with slighty less power than a full-fledged dictator. Hypocritical, no compassion...there is little redeeming about the man. I will listen to what he may say after he returns his unusual wealth and his son is brought to justice (prolly not in this lifetime!)

• Like 2

This is simply wishful thinking on your part. Take the US for example. How many murders do still occur there despite knowing they'll get the death penalty in a lot of states if caught? How many people still deal drugs there despite the fact that they won't be eligible for parole? Or singapore, they even kill people for smuggling marijuana into the country and there's still people doing it. And if you admit your guilt in court you don't even get the death penalty in Thailand. This will have very little impact on the drug trade in Thailand.

Did you actually read my post? And you didn't sense any sarcasm?

• Like 1

you cant convict a man/women of a crime with a half hearted investigation and then kill them within 60 days, how many innocent people set up will lose thier lives?

If a person is found with vast amounts of Yabba/Ice in their possession then why not a speedy execution ?

The people getting caught, nine times out of ten (my gross estimate, only) are the poor peons who are desperate to get out of their poor lives and will do anything, stupid as it is, to have a chance to get out. Executing them will do little to stem the problem, as the suppliers are still able to supply, the buyers are still wanting to buy, and there will always be plenty more poor saps willing to do any stupid thing to get out of their desperate situations.

Quick executions would merely look like the problem is being addressed, and is about as much of a solution as blowing up the vehicles that carry it, and expecting to eradicate it.

The one year plan, using speedy executions as a major means of accomplishing it, is simply short-sighted, uncreative, in violation of core Buddhist principals (non-killing), and I doubt will put even a slight dent in the problem.

Because of the likelihood that this is a dealer who's been set up simply because they are in competition with the network that is in alliance with the local BiB. Or possibly a completely innocent patsy that the local police chief set up, maybe a giik of his mia noi.

I suggest that a judge be assigned to every local DEA unit. In the same operation the drug dealer can be arrested, judged and executed.

Save time, save money.

And nobody will be able to complain about extra judiciary killing.

... And why drug related crimes require a speedy execution and other forms of criminality don't ?...

Agree with you. After a trial period this method can be extended to other forms of criminality as well.

Edited by JurgenG

1) Because they haven't killed anybody

2) Because the death penalty is evil

Drug dealing and drug-taking should be decriminalised and replaced by government-controlled and taxed supplies. The taxes would pay for addiction, rehab and advice centres. That is the only reasonable way forward. Drugs have always been with us; drugs will always be with us. Their trade and use have to be controlled and monitored sensibly, not attacked by the security forces as if the traders and users were some enemy army.

• Like 2

Given the wide ranging views expressed on this forum, I'm not surprised! While common sense dictates that you were being sarcastic, the evidence based on posts on this forum suggest that is a view that is actually shared and supported by many. Scary stuff... the hang em high brigade have no place in any modern society, I thought we'd moved on from the middle ages, maybe not...

Edited by Ferangled

Drug dealing and drug-taking should be decriminalised and replaced by government-controlled and taxed supplies. The taxes would pay for addiction, rehab and advice centres. That is the only reasonable way forward. Drugs have always been with us; drugs will always be with us. Their trade and use have to be controlled and monitored sensibly, not attacked by the security forces as if the traders and users were some enemy army.

So with the money the government makes selling drugs, it pays for the rehab of the people who became addicts thanks to drug sold to them by the government ?

It really makes sense.

You're a retired civil servant, are you ?

Given the wide ranging views expressed on this forum, I'm not surprised! While common sense dictates that you were being sarcastic, the evidence based on posts on this forum suggest that is a view that is actually shared and supported by many. Scary stuff... the hang em high brigade have no place in any modern society, I thought we'd moved on from the middle ages, maybe not...

+1

With that there is absolutely no argument.

• Like 1

Nobody says that innocent people are going to be killed. If somebody gets caught with drugs - he/she is guilty ... easy. 10 days should be more than enough.