Driving On Red Plates, Advice Please

daveb1

Hi Everyone, just got a new car with the dreaded red number plates while the dealer sorts out the white plates. In practice is it ok to drive around in pattaya with them after 6pm? Do the Police normally stop you and what should you do if they do? Would be interested in other peoples experinces thanks

I've had three new cars here and never got stopped for it. I didn't even know there were restrictions on the red tags until I was on my third one. I have a neighbor that has had a red tag on his benze for over a year. That said, I'm not in Pattaya so I don’t know.

First did you get the brown book? If so you have to fill that out every day you drive or contribute tea money. If you have no brown book they could well be copy plates and things can get serious in a hurry if stopped, start thinking one or two thousand.

Officially not supposed to drive from 6pm to 6am. Also officially not supposed to have red plates for more than 30 days or 3000km. So keep resetting the odometer and have that showing.

If you drive out of your area and the BIB see the plates with foreigner driving expect to be stopped and asked for brown book regularly. My best was 5 times in one trip from Bangkok to Roi Et. Checked I had book and filled out, on your way sir no problem.

Cheers

Done some hundred k km on red plates in 11 different new cars during 9 years.

Been pulled over to check brown book perhaps 10 times. As soon as they see some handwriting in book, they loose interest.

Fake plates without seal in lower right corner and no book, qualify for up to 5 years in jail

Limit on red plates is 3000km/ 30 days counting from day of issuing Por Or Bor (compulsory insurance you must have proof of in car when using redplates)

Got my Ranger XLT on Jan 5th and still no white plates! I told the dealer I'd heard 30days is the legal limit and he said it is 30-45 days. Been driving with no plates at all, not even red ones, without a problem so far. Previous two cars did have red plates and drove at night without a problem too. Here in Chiang Rai we often don't have the same problems with the police that folk do in BKK, Pattaya, Phuket etc

Got my Ranger XLT on Jan 5th and still no white plates! I told the dealer I'd heard 30days is the legal limit and he said it is 30-45 days. Been driving with no plates at all, not even red ones, without a problem so far. Previous two cars did have red plates and drove at night without a problem too. Here in Chiang Rai we often don't have the same problems with the police that folk do in BKK, Pattaya, Phuket etc

finally a dealer not quoting old rules of 90 daysclap2.gif

Ranger XLT be sure not to put anything in the back. , stopped last year and fined, Thai friend stopped twice and fined. last yar.... How do you run a business if it is illegal to carry anything in the back of a pickup [on red plates]

No idea but wonder how legal it is for a Taxi to work on red plates ? see plenty about + Buses and Mini Buses, as well as trucks 3 ton and up

Ranger XLT be sure not to put anything in the back. , stopped last year and fined, Thai friend stopped twice and fined. last yar.... How do you run a business if it is illegal to carry anything in the back of a pickup [on red plates]

No idea but wonder how legal it is for a Taxi to work on red plates ? see plenty about + Buses and Mini Buses, as well as trucks 3 ton and up

No part of the red plate rules deny you to carry load, but load must be covered as with white plates.

but as always, some cops make up their own rules

they have tried to fine me for overtaking in right lane, until I display my HWP Volunteer badge

My white plates just arrived, was waiting since August.

makes sence, izu phuket has 6 months interest free credit, so they give you the run around until it expires, pay car, get docs to register and complete

I had 5 new cars in Phuket and all on red plates for much longer then 30 Day's ( my wife like to extend the time as much as possible biggrin.png) and never had a problem with the police.

I agree that fakes red plates should always avoided and refused as this can will create a very big problem for you if stopped.

Officially you are only allowed to drive from 6 to 6 ( i believe, but nobody cares ) and also not outside your province ( i was asked a few times where i was heading when i left Phuket but no problems ) and also the maximum time is 30 Days / 3000 km and not 45 or 90 as some say.

Edited by merijn

makes sence, izu phuket has 6 months interest free credit, so they give you the run around until it expires, pay car, get docs to register and complete

No, Nissan. Right now I'm just waiting for my new Isuzu though, sold the Nissan on red plates (well, have an offer and will deliver as soon as my new Isuzu arrives). Well, my wife's Isuzu since that saves me 90,000 Baht in taxes :)

No more Nissan for me here.

Edited by stevenl

Since August? Hmmm, we're you driving the car illegally? If so, please "Don't forget to complain about corruption in another thread."

Since August? Hmmm, we're you driving the car illegally? If so, please "Don't forget to complain about corruption in another thread."

Hmm, where would be the corruption in this?

While your complicity may make it (conveniently) difficult to you see, it seems pretty clear to me. Why not give it some thought and get back to me.

While your complicity may make it (conveniently) difficult to you see, it seems pretty clear to me. Why not give it some thought and get back to me.

Ok, let me formulate it differently: I did not pay any money or services to police/immigration or whatever part of the government or anybody in any position of power. Since definitions of corruption entail payment to somebody in power, which is not the case here, where is the corruption?

No, Nissan. Right now I'm just waiting for my new Isuzu though, sold the Nissan on red plates (well, have an offer and will deliver as soon as my new Isuzu arrives). Well, my wife's Isuzu since that saves me 90,000 Baht in taxes smile.png

No more Nissan for me here.

Nissan AR Phuket, same owner as Kwasaki AR Phuket, 6 months credit from Nissan, so wait 6 months for whiteplate. 2 weeks credit from Kawasaki, so all whiteplated/reg within 3 weeks

Ok, let me formulate it differently: I did not pay any money or services to police/immigration or whatever part of the government or anybody in any position of power. Since definitions of corruption entail payment to somebody in power, which is not the case here, where is the corruption?

I think Webster would disagree with your definition, but as long as it makes you feel good, that’s what counts. I just think it funny someone (seemingly) looking down their nose at someone driving on a questionable license, all the time driving around with illegal tags.

To be clear, I’ve had a Thai driver license since ‘99, and I think anyone that lives here is a fool not to get one. But I certainly wouldn’t give my passport to the police or even my real license unless I absolutely had to. I understand I’m part of the problem, and you won’t hear me squeaking about corruption in another thread.

So tell me, if you got stopped for the tag or for speeding, you wouldn’t grease the heat to get back rolling?

How old is your boy?

to clearify things, after 5 months on red plates Policeman says, step out of the vehicle please, we are going to impound it and lock you up. Please call your wife to pick up your son, he can wait downstairs with the officers.

or, you can fix all these issues with 500 baht

legal redplates can be used for 30 days/3.000km max, and out of province trips need to be logged in brown book

a few years ago my wife wanted a special number for free for our 2008 Accord, so we waited for 10 months. and my 2006 Vigo purchased in BKK and I was to plate it in Phuket, to lazy so didnt bother for a year, no plate at all. No issues. Thailand has changed

Red plates?, i first purchased a motorbike in Thai wifes name 3 months ago, had done 4000ks when bought and had a set of red plates fitted but still waiting on paperwork in post which they told us would take 45 days, are these plates an issue?, same for motorbikes and cars ?been reading this post and not sure any of the rules ,HELP !

I think Webster would disagree with your definition, but as long as it makes you feel good, that’s what counts. I just think it funny someone (seemingly) looking down their nose at someone driving on a questionable license, all the time driving around with illegal tags.

I don't, but IMO handing out teamoney to the BIB for traffic offenses is a nono. Especially for westerners, who are at the same time complaining on especially TV about corrpuption in Thailand. But when it suits them corruption is ok?

Here on Phuket: no teamoney to the police for traffic offences, if they would have stopped me with the red plates I would have to go to the police station to pay the fine. I have been fined here a couple of times, always paid at police station, and have not been fined outside of Phuket. So still have to find out what I would do if it would be very inconvenient.

• 2 weeks later...

My (Thai) wife bought a new car for cash on 29 September 2011 and got Red Plates with Brown Book. Paid deposit of 2500 with receipt refundable on return of red plates.Initial insurance cover (minimum as required by law) was issued at vehicle collection and the annual policy (First Class) a few weeks later.

Despite numerous 'phone calls to the selling agent (in Bangok) she is still waiting for the white plates with the excuse (last three times) that they (the agent) have the new white plates but are still waiting for the Tabien Roht!

I have told her that you can't have one without the other but, am I correct?

It is my understanding that it is the agent's responsibility to do the initial registration.

My (Thai) wife bought a new car for cash on 29 September 2011 and got Red Plates with Brown Book. Paid deposit of 2500 with receipt refundable on return of red plates.Initial insurance cover (minimum as required by law) was issued at vehicle collection and the annual policy (First Class) a few weeks later.

Despite numerous 'phone calls to the selling agent (in Bangok) she is still waiting for the white plates with the excuse (last three times) that they (the agent) have the new white plates but are still waiting for the Tabien Roht!

I have told her that you can't have one without the other but, am I correct?

It is my understanding that it is the agent's responsibility to do the initial registration.

You are correct - white plates are issued with the tabien rot (registration book) - impossible they can be issued beforehand, and they're never issued more than a few minutes after....

Sounds like a line to me....

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

The dealers are all different. I bought 2 Scooters early November on the same day from separate dealers. Both on red plates, but no brown book, like a car. Got the white plate and Green book 7th December for one and am still waiting for the other. When I saw the dealer last week, they assured me there is a very big backlog in processing and it 'might' arrive within the next two months!

Of course, I believe them!

I can believe there is backlog after new year as it is common for the dealers to hold registrations for any car bought 2 to 3 months prior new year and process them in January.

And the reason is that even if you buy and take delivery on September getting the white plates in January somehow makes your car year younger when sold clap2.gif

That was the case on my PJS....

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update, got my white plates 5 weeks after buying the car. During that time we drove around Pattaya during the day and at night time without any problems. Not stopped by the police once. So all ok