Gear For Riding In Thailand

smedly

I thought I would start this thread to help me and others make choices from what's available here in LOS and is climate suited

Before we start I'm not interested in poser gear or the person with never ending funds and just goes and buys what has the highest price tag - and lets stay on topic without insults and degrading what I think will be a helpfull thread to many

Things to consider

Must be suited to climate - not sweltering hot leather if possible

Must have all the protection zones including spine protection

Reasonably priced and not rip of prices (some will say price shouldn't come into it but I disagree - no debates about this please) some stuff in Thailand is a rip off and I suspect this type of thing will be the worst kind

Where the best shops are for obtaining such gear

Good makes to look for

Lastly what we can expect to pay for suitable jacket gloves and trousers

It's a shame most if not all the MB shops with websites give little info about their products online

Also another option - would it be better to source such gear in home country if possible

smeds., i have had the mesh.. now i have a perforated leather jacket (10,000b Paddock sale)which is cooler than my old mesh jackets.. dont knock the leather biggrin.png

Still trying to find the best trousers though. i fancy a leather / mesh mix.

Price is up to you. what do you think is reasonable. i'm cheap BUT you do need to spend a bit on the right stuff. it saves money in the long run.

I would say on the low end 5,000b COULD get all.. but it would be a 1 hit deal (been there done that).

10-15,000b will get you reasonable kit.

20,000b will get you good kit,

25-35,000b will get you very good kit (if you look around)

Try panda rider . they stock 'rev it'' gear and the prices are very good.. i just checked some against the uk and they were pretty much the same..

Edited by thaicbr

Its hard to say what is "suitable for climate in LOS". Some people are freezing in the north while others in Bangkok are sweating like pigs. It also depends on how many stops you plan to do. And how much city stop-and-go will be. So for different situations you need different solutions. And of course the speed you want to go is the most important thing. I would never do speeds above 120 km/h without leather.

OK, you started the thread, than its up to you: You want to talk about big bike gear and higher speeds? Or also about city/scooter/small-bike riding at speeds up to 100 km/h in stop-and-go traffic?

Hi Mate, def not knocking the leather and thanks for your reply and sharing your experience with the leather/fabric hybrid, I was kindoff thinking along those lines and glad you clarified that is can be cooler than the mesh stuff, at the moment I need jacket - trousers and gloves and would consider 200 quid or 10,000 baht a resonable budget

As long as it doesn't rip apart and the protection areas stay where they are supposed to be then this sounds like a good start

I'm already looking at a set in the UK but they are usually orientated to warmth lol, hell even on a winters day I still sweated my balls off with a full leather one piece

Good advice, thaicbr. I never feel hot when I'm riding, but waiting at a traffic light can get a little muggy. I live in Chiang Mai where it's cooler than Bangkok and wear my jacket and gloves all the time. My helmet has a moveable full face mask, but it's too hot in traffic, and especially at long stop traffic lights. I usually flip it up on a red light and flip it down when the light changes. The real problem is pants that are comfortable and still offer some protection. having to take them off the moment you stop is REAL pain.

Rev'It Ignition Jacket and Gear pants for me. Leather/mesh construction so you get all the protection while keeping cool. They sell them at Panda Rider and the prices are good, I got mine for cheaper than the UK and USA list price. I also use a pair of Rev'It Monster gloves which are very good and not too hot.

Its hard to say what is "suitable for climate in LOS". Some people are freezing in the north while others in Bangkok are sweating like pigs. It also depends on how many stops you plan to do. And how much city stop-and-go will be. So for different situations you need different solutions. And of course the speed you want to go is the most important thing. I would never do speeds above 120 km/h without leather.

OK, you started the thread, than its up to you: You want to talk about big bike gear and higher speeds? Or also about city/scooter/small-bike riding at speeds up to 100 km/h in stop-and-go traffic?

yes I see your point, I guess I'm really talking about long journeys and 120kph + speeds, pottering around in the city for me is a teashirt and jeans job, my one and only down in LOS was a low speed drop at about 30kmph on a concrete surface (like sand paper) it hurt and had a few scrapes but I'm leaning more towards the high speed 120kmph type off which if you don't hit anything hard your going to lose a lot of skin, even though I don't take risks there is always someone will do it for you, so for now even if I had the long journy gear I'd never wear it around the city.

But you are entirely right, it really mean 2x sets of stuff depending on what you are doing.

I also have a girl on the back now and again and after convincing her to lose the handbag and stileto heels and wear long jeans, I'd feel really guilty about wearing full protection gear and she has nothing lol but that's another subject or thread

whooooo big thunderstorm starting here right now in Patters

PS can we include prices guys so we a good idea of the market, preferably include Jacket gloves and trousers prices......cheers

Edited by smedly

smeds.. if you have the same or similar size girl each time. then maybe 2-3,000b on a jacket and decent helmet for her.. presuming she's a keeper biggrin.png

http://www.pandarider.com/

http://blacksteed.com/?cid=1623117

bLACKSTEED import RST and have decent prices..personally i would up the money a bit.. but see what you can find.

http://mocyc.com/sto...assified=626659

It's worth checking these guys out as well.. the shop is NOT impressive but the prices are..

i also see your in Pattaya.. i think this place is close.. dunno what it's like mind.

http://mocyc.com/sto...assified=651795

Edited by thaicbr

I have a mesh jacket and mesh pants (Kimone, from Japan) I find them pretty comfortable even when stopped, with reasonable armor. I wear a separate spine protector, as it straps to your body rather than float around inside the jacket.

I usually shop at Paddock, simply because of their range in my size. I think the jacket and pants were around 20-25,000baht all up, but they do have regular specials and a decent range of cheaper gear. Panda is also pretty good, but I seem to always end up back at Paddock.

Cheers.

I bought some ProMo jeans (with kevlar) from Panda Rider and the prices were comparible with Europe. The service was good; I ended up trying on three pairs multiple times and the staff were still helpful at the end !!

I got those for shortish journeys, and have a paid of leather/mesh jeans for longer distances.

This goes with a leather/mesh jacket.

Of course, just waiting for my bike to test them out.....

I bought some ProMo jeans (with kevlar) from Panda Rider and the prices were comparible with Europe. The service was good; I ended up trying on three pairs multiple times and the staff were still helpful at the end !!

I got those for shortish journeys, and have a paid of leather/mesh jeans for longer distances.

This goes with a leather/mesh jacket.

Of course, just waiting for my bike to test them out.....

Karl..what leather /mesh jeans do you have?

http://www.mocyc.com...assified=626617

this lady has jackets from japan from 3000 -5500 thb

might pick up one if they are not too hot for daily use around the city

That was the 3rd one on my list biggrin.png

actually they have jackets and trousers from 2,000b. nerve i think the brand was.

she has a few yellow corn jackets and other funky one with an LED light on the back

just need to get it wired up to my brakes and im good to go :D

seriously though,has anyone ever used yellow corn safety wear ?

Karl..what leather /mesh jeans do you have?

They are Alpinestar A-10 Air flow whcih I bought in the Uk when I was last overthere. They were discounted quite a bit (coming up to winter) and i got a good deal.

The jacket (if anyone is interested.) is a Triumph Falcon jacket that I bought when I had my heart set on getting a Speed Triple, until i got turned off by the prices. The Triumph lettering has been unpicked and removed.