Bike Security In Apartment Blocks

KarlHatton

Disk lock with alarm built in...can't recall the brand name (Xena maybe), but it works well and due to the alarm, no chance to try to ride off with the lock still attached which I did one time years ago (look a right <deleted> when it happens).

The only problem with the alarm on those small disc locks is that they can be silenced with a wet sock or on some earlier models all it took was a dab of super glue to totally mute them...

Appreciate the tip Karlos. There's a gorgeous Peyton SR downstairs that I've had my eye on for a while... Ta.wink.png

Thanks for the comments - I'd prefer to have my bike at the apartment as then it's not a big drama when going out on it (obviously not at the cost of safety)

I've ordered a Xena disc lock and a gound anchor (from UK) and I'll have to work on the apartment people to let me fit it. Planning to buy a chain & padlock from Panda Rider in the near future (unless anyone has any good/better suggestions where to get one) The carpark is an outside gated area, with one way in/out with a 24hours guard on duty. Also thinking of a bike cover as well, though would need to be a bit careful to protect the tank etc from getting scratched)

(dreaming here - thinking of drawing up a bike shed and getting it made - now that would be good security, but it might take quite a bit to convince the apartment owners! ). (similar to these, but a bit smaller )

My bike is also parked in an uncovered carpark, with no CCTV or gates. The security guard box is nearby but usually they are asleep. I do buy the occasional drink for them, in the (probably vain) hope they will not collude with stealing my bike, but the reality is that money talks and the guards change every couple of months so difficult to get a rapport going.

Luckily there are a couple of steel posts where the bikes park, so i bought a hardened 12mm chain and big padlock. I cover the bike, but have found it difficult to get one that doesn't disintegrate after 2 months. I also have a Xena disc lock but due to the winds and exacerbated by the cover the alarm kept going off and i had to disable the alarm as the guards started to complain that it was interrupting their sleep; at least i think that is what they were saying!! There was a problem with the Xena alarm module, but Panda very quickly replaced it but still the alarm would go off due to the wind.

My own theory is that if you make it difficult enough they may move onto another bike that is easier to steal. The reality is if someone really wants to steal something, they will find a way no matter what precautions you take. So get good insurance, it's not a nice feeling having something stolen but even worse if you don't get any compensation for it and can't afford to replace it.

Kawasaki Z1000 is OK. Not much market for it.

tell that to the poor guy who posted about his africa twin stolen a couple of weeks back .......

almost all bikes are desirable to some one

All I am saying is that the chance of being stolen is slim, as such bike cannot be resold easily, and people will notice if you suddenly have one.

However, bikes like Honda Wave and Yamaha Fino were stolen by the dozens every single night in Thailand to be sold as cheap replacement parts, or cut up and reform into mobile noodle store or garbage collector carts, which no license is needed.

Kawasaki Z1000 is OK. Not much market for it.

tell that to the poor guy who posted about his africa twin stolen a couple of weeks back .......

almost all bikes are desirable to some one

All I am saying is that the chance of being stolen is slim, as such bike cannot be resold easily, and people will notice if you suddenly have one.

However, bikes like Honda Wave and Yamaha Fino were stolen by the dozens every single night in Thailand to be sold as cheap replacement parts, or cut up and reform into mobile noodle store or garbage collector carts, which no license is needed.

there is differnt thieves about ,there have been reports of gangs going after special hi -end motorcycles possibly stolen to order for rich clients in cambodia /burma etc but of course scooter theft is number one due to the sheer volume of scooters in thailand

last year there was something like 1 big bike (250cc or larger ) sold per 400 scooters or something like that so scooters are easy prey :)

light ,easy to carry and parked every few meters in thailand

My feeling is "out of sight, out of mind" I always cover my bike where ever I park it. It's quite old, but means the world to me. So my advice is, pop down to Big C they have the big bike covers and buy a material cover for the dry season and a plastic one for the wet season and NEVER forget to cover your bike. I sometimes park in direct sunshine, but never worry about paint fade of birds s**t messing up the paint work. Sorry, gone a bit off point.

Never liked disc locks all you have to do is remove the caliper and you can drive away. I always run a padlock through the sprocket. Or a cable lock through the front shocks and wheel spoke.

Whatever works. Padlocks are cheaper and I have used those before.

Congrats on the purchase today Karl, it was a pleasure to bump into you and i hope to head out somewhere with you once your tyres are scrubbed in.

Just remember i have nearly half the power of your bike, don't leave me too far behind :D

Congrats on the purchase today Karl, it was a pleasure to bump into you and i hope to head out somewhere with you once your tyres are scrubbed in.

Just remember i have nearly half the power of your bike, don't leave me too far behind biggrin.png

Thanks , Karlos, & likewise. It'd be good to go out on a ride, I wouldn't worry about the power - I had Honda Waves and the like passing me yesterday !! It's a pretty wicked bike and hopefully I'll have years of fun with it (& bound to start a new thread about the new love of my life. lol)