What Visa Strategy Is Best?

Hi, I'm writing to discover your highest wisdom (= best advice, in southern Indiana), visa-wise, about my situation:

I am an academic on sabbatical leave from May this year through next August. During that time, I'd like to base myself in Thailand five times during for periods of 6 - 10 weeks (starting late this May, the last period starting in late May next year, hence four times in a 12 month period). During these times, I expect to travel to other SEAsian countries, mostly by land.

I can qualify for a retirement visa, except for the detail of not being retired, and I have a house in Nongbua that I can claim as a residence, although I don't expect to live there for more than a month. (Would immigration look askance at a "retiree" who spends 50% of the year outside Thailand?)

Tourist visas would be expensive, since double or triple entries would be needed. (Would the consulate think four visas within a year excessive, even though they aren't back-to-back? I know, no one can tell what consulates may think.)

Or, I could arrive vias-less and do border runs as needed, which would be tiring and irritating, as well being, potentially, expensive. (Having accompanied a friend on a run to Poipet, I wot whereof I speak. I also note, irrelevantly, that taxis back to Pattaya or Bangkok from Aranya Pratet are about 1000 baht more expensive than for Thais.

I gather that certain law firms can sponsor one, for a fee, to qualify for a one-year multiple-entry investment-seeker visa, though all I know about that is what I read such firms' websites. (The idea seems not quite 100% to me, somehow.)

So, what do you think? I hope I have included all relevant details, if more is needed, I'm sure I'll be told.

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I'll have lots more to consider about all this later.

I think its bahts 5000 for the visa now and 800k in a Thai bank Account 2months before you apply and then either 1000 per re-entry or 3800 multi entry

So could arrive by air get 30 visa waiver stick cash in bank

At end oof 30 days can out eg sleepr train to visa free malaysia then turn around entering by air

pop out once fr a week say return by Air and before your second 30 days expires go to mmigration werfe you live and extend as a retirement if you willl go out 4+ times the multi is chaepaer or just pay as you go 1000 per re-entry

Edited by RubbaJohnny

I am an academic on sabbatical leave from May this year through next August. During that time, I'd like to base myself in Thailand five times during for periods of 6 - 10 weeks (starting late this May, the last period starting in late May next year,

Being of retirement age, you probably could get a Non Imm O multi-entry visa from the honorary consulate in Portland. I say "probably" because I've never seen exactly what financial information Portland requires. Presumably, a bank account, or similar, with 800k baht equivalent in it would do..... But, you'd have to check with their honcho, Mary. But, I seriously doubt they're looking for pension cash flow. Click on http://www.thai-or.com/

Apply by mail around 13 May, getting it back around 21 May, 2012. Good for unlimited in and outs, with 90-day permissions of stay with each "in." Use before 20 May 2013 for your last 90-day stay, getting you to mid Aug 2013.

And, if plans change, at any time during one of those 90 day stays, you could get the one-year retirement extension in Thailand, which would get you past Aug 2013, if that becomes attractive. Or, allows you to kick-back, without border runs, for over 12 weeks -- if that too looks attractive.

Best option -- IMO -- as coming in on a visa exempt stamp (requiring an onward ticket), then a trip to Immigration to convert, then another trip to Immigraion for a retirement extension, plus, a trip to the embassy for an income letter (if going that route), plus impinging on your travel flexibility during all this procedure. Naaa. Save nearly $100 by going the Portland route. And only see Immigration police on your way in and out of Thailand, waving goodbye mid-Aug 2013.

Thanks for the advice. It's nice to hear that that the retirement visa can be so flexible. Unfortunately, the Portland CG's site says "Only issued by Thai Embassy - Washington DC or the Los Angeles, Chicago or New York City Consulates." Will check more thoroughly there about the retirement visa. . .

Having done so, I see that this is not an easy process. Sigh. For one thing, the NY CG site says income of 65,000 baht per month is OK, but the Chicago CG lists this option only for renewals. Neither says that the 800,000 baht has to be in a Thai bank, nor do either say it say that the amount has to be in a certain kind of account, which I gather it must be.

If I do go through with this, I may just extend the retirement visa for another year just to avoid having to plan trip timings and all in the future. (I make 4 or five trips a year, though of shorter duration, but often including land crossings, with the 15 day VOA.)

Any idea what an "income certificate" is? I gather that in Thailand I could get this from the American embassy, but if I were to try to do this via a CG here, what would it be? A notarized letter from my university? Bank?

And, since I would never be in Thailand for as much as 90 days, does that mean there would be no need for 90 day reporting? Logic tells me one thing, but experience in SEAsia warns me logic may not apply.

Thanks again for the info.

There are different options for retiring it Thailand.

The first option is obtaining an O/A visa in the US. This can only be done at the consulates in DC, LA, NY or Chicago. The Honorary Consulates can not issue an O/A visa. The money does not have to be in a Thai Bank, it can remain in the US. You would also need a medical certificate and FBI criminal background check. A multiple entry visa is good for 1 year and each time that you enter Thailand you will get 1 year permission to stay. If you remain in Thailand for 90 days, you would have to do a 90 day address report at immigration, as we all do. You can make unlimited exits/re-entries. If you re-enter Thailand the day before the VISA expires you will get 1 year permission to stay. But, if you want to exit/re-enter during that year, you have to purchase a re-entry permit, single-1000 baht, multi-3800 baht.

Another option is to apply for a single entry Non-O visa for retirement planning purposes. Portland can and will issue these. When you enter Thailand you will get 90 days permission to stay. You can extend that 90 days for one year for retirement purposes, but if you are using the bank deposit method to qualify, the money must be in a Thai bank, in your name and seasoned for 2 months. If you use to 65000 baht/month income method, You get an "income affidavit" from the US Embassy. It is a sworn notarized statement, no proof is required. It is your declaration in US dollars and immigration converts it to Thai baht on the day that you apply. You do not need a medical certificate or FBI check. In order to exit/re-enter at will you would have to purchase a multiple re-entry permit - 3800 baht. The extension cost 1900 baht and is normally issued during the last 30 days of your initial permission to stay. At the end of your 1 year extension you would have to repeat the process to get another year. I'm on my 9th extension.

You can also enter on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry and convert that to a Non-O in at some offices - 2000 baht- and then extend as explained above.

If you are using the "income affidavit" method, and do not want to transfer any money to Thailand, appling for a Non-O through Portland and extending it in Thailand would most likely be your best bet. Contact Mary at the Portland consulate and she can tell you exactly what they require.

Unfortunately, the Portland CG's site says "Only issued by Thai Embassy - Washington DC or the Los Angeles, Chicago or New York City Consulates."

That's for the Non Imm O-A Long Stay "retirement" visa, with extra hoops (medical, police) to hit, but that will get you stamped-in for 365 day permit(s) of stay. But that's not your best option, nor what I'm talking about.

Yes, Portland, like all other honorary consulates, *cannot* issue this type of visa. But Portland *will* issue you a Non Imm O visa -- if you're retirement eligible. And you say you're over age 50, and presumably can show $27000 in US accounts. So, yes, Portland should be able to issue you a Non Imm O multiple entry visa (again, check the exact financial details with Mary at Portland).

And, since I would never be in Thailand for as much as 90 days, does that mean there would be no need for 90 day reporting?

Correct. And, again, that's why the Non Imm O multiple entry visa suits your situation, as each entry gives you a 90 day permission of stay, which is more than you say you require. And, if issued soon before your departure in May, will give you nearly 15 months of 90-day stays in Thailand - getting you to August 2013, as you indicate is your plan. No need to ever visit Immigration during these 15 months.

Anyway, Portland is one of not many honorary consulates that will issue Non Imm O visas to folks who can show they're 'retirement eligible, with the understanding your intent is to apply for a retirment extension in Thailand. Certainly, if you don't apply in Thailand for that retirement extension, the earth won't shake (nor will Portland know, or care -- assuming you don't reapply with them again next year).

Indeed, a one year Non-O multiple entries will fit the bill.

I have a Belgian friend who owns a Bangkok condo and lives there winter time.

He usually got double tourist visas and completed his stay with extensions.

Last year he needed to show return ticket, which he can not, not knowing his exact return date.

Thus the Antwerp consulate provided him a Non-O multiple one year based on 20k euro he had to show in his local bank account. Thus it should be easy to get, my frien is still many years away from reaching 50 years.

There are different options for retiring it Thailand.

The first option is obtaining an O/A visa in the US. This can only be done at the consulates in DC, LA, NY or Chicago.

Completely agree with wayned. Depending on your exact schedule you might get away without any reporting or explicit visarun needs for nearly two years (if you leave before a 3 month cycle no 90 day report, every reentry before the visa expires will give you a one year permit to stay). Try to get a "Non O-A, Multiple".

All said.

Edited by KhunBENQ