Lifan Cross 200

Anyone change there back tire yet and if so to what sort?the original is very soft and wheres out very quick off road.not sure if you can put anything wider on because of swing arm and chain guard would stop it!

I was going to respond to this sooner, but I just got around to taking some pics.

I did change out the rear tire on my Lifan, with an agressive Moto Z tire from the dirt bike shop in CM

Yes, aggressive indeed. You could probably put it to work weeding ricefields now!

About the new tire, I wouldn't suggest it for someone who primarily does road travel. Your cornering ability on pavement is reduced by quite a bit. Also your braking.

I was heading down a steep slope on a paved road the other day; the road was wet. I was engine braking but I stepped on my rear brake and felt nothing happen. I realized that I was already sliding on just the engine braking. I rode it out, but it could have been nasty because I was going though a corner.

The grip is phenomenal on dirt and mud though. But I have a feeling that I have also lost some top end speed because of the larger tire circumference. 5th gear just can't push it as well.

Maybe a bigger carb eh?

I haven't done it yet (others have) , but I still think dropping the rear to 44 teeth is the go to get better overall performance.

I think the stock gearing is more suited to full on moto x.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannock what were the prices for handguards and tyre and do you have contact details

I can only seem to find acerbic guards which are 3000 bht

Thanks

I honestly can't remember what I paid for the guards. I bought them back in February and couldn't put them on the Lifan bars because they are solid at the ends.

I only recently got the new bars so that I could put them on.

I can tell you that they were not that much, around a 1000B. this is because they are Chinese knockoffs, just like my bike.

They are strong enough, with lots of aluminum, but the fit and finish is lacking a bit, and they weren't a perfect fit to the Renthal bars either; but only I can tell. They will do the simple job they were made for.

I got them at a Lifan shop in CM, they had bunch of them in a few color choices.

The tire was 1300B from the dirt bike shop beside Rider's corner in CM. I think it is actually called Dirtbike shop. But others know better than me. I was only there once.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am just about to purchase a Lifan Cross 200.

Any updated reports from Cannuckamuck and friends regarding reliability would be greatly appreciated. All of your bikes should have a few more miles on them now.

I would also like to know if anyone has installed an aftermarket stainless or carbon exhaust and if so where it was purchased. Photos would be great.

Cheers

To Canuckamuck,

yes, surely. You are right.

I do the service by my self, than i know is done in the right way.

If you are not able or willing to so so, you need a trustable and responsible dealer or garage.

Tomorow i am goung to modify the engine with change the carburetor to a better one. If that is succeed and result in more torque, than i will change the rear chain sproket (i gues kawasaki ksr).

the cost was pointed to 4.700,- Baht and nothings original will be modified.

In this, if its not really working i can easy change back by my self.

My aim is a top speed of 130-140km/h for a cruising speed of 120km/h.

Will see how that will works out.

i will keep you informed with details soon.

Have always (LI) fun.

Peter

120clicks on Chinese dirt tyres, a braver man than I.

I mate of mine has one, he thinks it is great, ex Paris-Dakar man so he should know, rags the hell out of everything he owns, so I let you know how long it lasts in his hands.

Doesn't strike me as a highway bike at all, but i am a newbie.

One less owner on here now seems moto grosser is selling his , if your near samui might be the bike for you ,sure it has a few little mods/extras

Yes selling mine with a few mods,is a good bike,but going back to racing motocross so want a new bike,mods include,mirrors,front fender and headlight,graphics,new brae caliper/disk,new rear tyre,handguards,higher new seat foam and cover,only 6 months old.in samui.post-70773-13548855573033_thumb.jpg

Nothing to report about my Lifan Cross. It works well. I will do a little more hill climbing now that the rains have gone. I got kinda tired of gumbo clay you find on some of the hills here. Makes a bit of fun turn into too much of a workout. I am thinking now about getting a set of motard rims and rubber.

• Like 1

Nothing to report about my Lifan Cross. It works well. I will do a little more hill climbing now that the rains have gone. I got kinda tired of gumbo clay you find on some of the hills here. Makes a bit of fun turn into too much of a workout. I am thinking now about getting a set of motard rims and rubber.

How many kms do you have on it so far?

And have you tried to purchase any spare parts for it. What has the availability and supply of parts from the dealer been like?

Edited by Phronesis

How many kms do you have on it so far?

And have you tried to purchase any spare parts for it. What has the availability and supply of parts from the dealer been like?

The bike is coming up on 2 years old, but I only have about 6000 km on it because I only use it to scramble around the hills when I am bored. But those are some aggresive km's for sure. I think you can get any part you need for these bikes, In the beginning I needed a few things, and all was available.

Has anybody put an aftermarket carb in their's yet. I am looking for a carb with a vent, I am tired of the popping on the downhill coast.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is only about 6 months old, but I already have over 7000 kilometers on it. I have driven on some long trips....one 1200K from Buriram--Khlong Yai--Buriram!

http://www.liveinasiablog.com/2012/08/buriram-to-khlong-yai-my-3-day-1200-km-motorcycle-ride/

Also have done a bit of off-roading in Pang Sida (trail riding)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pang_Sida_National_Park

For the most part, everything has been fine. I burned through the tires pretty quickly riding on the pavement so much. Last month I bought a set of Pirelli Scorpions. They are meant to be 70% on road 30% off road. They were expensive (5800 tires + 1000 tubes + 200 installation), but the ride is much better.

It's much smoother on the highway, and it handles great in corners now. It lost a bit of traction on the dirt, but I've been having a blast with it. It's really easy to do controlled slides on dirt roads! Wouldn't do very well in sand or thick mud anymore, but I don't really do much of that anyway.

I've had some minor problems.

• I changed the front brake caliper due to a strange noise coming from it--under warranty--(the new one does the same thing). Dealer says it's from a single piston caliper design and not much can be done about it.

• The clutch handle became very tight. I thought it was something in the cable system or the clutch itself. I took it all apart, and the problem wasn't what I thought. The problem was right at the clutch lever itself. Where the clutch lever pivots, it was binding up. I just put some chain lube on it and it's fine (will replace the lever soon--very cheap)

• The front brake lever is starting to feel like the clutch lever--chain lube to the rescue! .

• The throttle become a bit hard to twist--a bit of chain lube fixed it up!

• The clutch cable snapped! Took an hour and cost 150 baht to replace.

From what I can tell at this point, the engine, suspension, and gear box are strong. All the bits and pieces around them are cheap and wear out easily--but they are also really cheap to fix. It doesn't really bother me because I only paid 45,000 for it brand new, and also because I like to tinker with it.

Cheers,

Ryan

I've had some minor problems.

• I changed the front brake caliper due to a strange noise coming from it--under warranty--(the new one does the same thing). Dealer says it's from a single piston caliper design and not much can be done about it.

Beware the noise from the front brake caliper. I thought I had that problem too, but it turned out to be the front wheel bearing. And I found out when it seized at speed. Lifan guys never caught it, partially because I kept saying it was the brake caliper.

If i was you I would change that front bearing to be safe.

• Like 1

Phronesis, I have about 7000 km on the motor. The motors on these things are low-tech but really strong (Honda Copies). Plus, because they are so simple, it is cheap to get them redone. Also, I read somewhere that the entire drive-train can be replaced for around 10,000 Baht! The engine is nothing to worry about. Like I said in my last post, it's all the cheap parts around it that you have to keep an eye on.

Canuck, I had already come across your post when I started hearing the noise. The first thing I thought about was the front wheel seizing up--and that's what I told the dealer. They checked the bearings and said they were fine. We actually took the caliper off and rolled the thing around, and I couldn't get the noise to come back. Also, when they replaced the front caliper, the noise went away. ....but now it's back, although just a little bit. Hopefully I won't be taking any trips over the handlebars!

^

If its just a squeaking from the front brake pads it shouldn't be dangerous. But it is very annoying of course. If the noise changes from squeaking to grinding you should be alarmed :)

Some try to cure squeaking with copperpaste on the back of the brake pad. Some try to use pads with different material if there are any.

Just apply some oil to brake pads and disc. I m sure it will kill the noise:D

Hahahhs.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Believe this or not but in the late seventies a mate of mine had squealing disc brakes. A few beers down the pub one Friday night and the suggestion was pretty similar to yours so the following morning he bought a can of WD40 and emptied it all over the caliper and disc. The squealing stopped and he swore the brake worked better than ever!

Edited by edwinchester

Just apply some oil to brake pads and disc. I m sure it will kill the noise:D

Hahahhs.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Believe this or not but in the late seventies a mate of mine had squealing disc brakes. A few beers down the pub one Friday night and the suggestion was pretty similar to yours so the following morning he bought a can of WD40 and emptied it all over the caliper and disc. The squealing stopped and he swore the brake worked better than ever!

If any oil is able to stop the squeaking than of course it is WD40 laugh.png

• 1 month later...

Took my Lifan cross on few cruises lately. I had been pretty busy, so it had been sitting quite a lot, weeks at a time actually. So riding it again is a like getting reacquainted. The bike is doing fine, starts immediately and does what it's asked to do. I really appreciate the value I got from this bike so far and I can't believe 2 years have gone by. If I would have bought a D-tracker at the time, by now it would have devalued more than the purchase price of my Lifan. So I sort of got this one for free laugh.png

Anyhow, one thing I never liked was the popping sound on engine braking. I would like to swap out the carb for a vented one, but I have never done anything with motorcycle carbs and I don't know what I have and what I should get.

Anyone done this? Also has anyone installed an aftermarket exhaust? As that would be the next thing to change after the carb and perhaps the intake. Not sure that the after market pipe is really needed though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Interesting blog what a start ending up in the big city on day one, look forward to reading the rest, also some other interesting articles look worth aread enjoy your trip

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Took my Lifan cross on few cruises lately. I had been pretty busy, so it had been sitting quite a lot, weeks at a time actually. So riding it again is a like getting reacquainted. The bike is doing fine, starts immediately and does what it's asked to do. I really appreciate the value I got from this bike so far and I can't believe 2 years have gone by. If I would have bought a D-tracker at the time, by now it would have devalued more than the purchase price of my Lifan. So I sort of got this one for free laugh.png

Anyhow, one thing I never liked was the popping sound on engine braking. I would like to swap out the carb for a vented one, but I have never done anything with motorcycle carbs and I don't know what I have and what I should get.

Anyone done this? Also has anyone installed an aftermarket exhaust? As that would be the next thing to change after the carb and perhaps the intake. Not sure that the after market pipe is really needed though.

that's exactly what these bikes are about, value for money. congrats on your "free" bike

• Like 1