Pattaya May Escape The Rise Of Burma,But Thailand?

Burma will suck the very lifeblood out of Thailand for sure in the next couple of years ,Pattaya for all its attractions will prevail I am sure,but the Eldorado awaiting the ex pats will be delightful, no visas,own your own home ,10 Burmese women per ex pat,there is no doubt. Language skills,ex Brit colony,oh please God was an Englishman for sure.

On the other hand, it does have ties with Pattaya, really.

It is not certain what the dual Russian and Governer approach will do to Pattaya, in the longer run that is.

And it is only to be expected that Birma/Mayanmar will try to get tourists/expats away from Thailand, so also Pattaya.

Shoving this to the Mayanmar forum is maybe somewhat premature?

• Like 1

I have just come back from a beano to Myanmar for the first time since the elections.

There is a quiet optimism among the people, but if you think it's going to be "Open Season" for the Common Man, think again.

Take your place behind the governments and multi-nationals queueing up...

• 2 weeks later...

Things could happen more quickly or slowly than we might expect in the case of Myanmar...we can't predict them. I hope that these reforms will mean the opening up of overland routes from Thailand to Yangon and to China at least (maybe not Bangladesh or India at this stage due to poor or non-existant infrastructure and insurgent armies in those areas) but at least to Yangon and Daluo in Sipsongbanna (alternative link to Jinghong and Kunming in Yunnan province and closer than via the existing route through Laos).

Imagine an overland bus service from Bangkok via the three pagodas pass to Yangon...or even regular overland car traffic between the two countries that is allowed to travel deep inside each country. That would be cool now wouldn't it?

Burma will suck the very lifeblood out of Thailand for sure in the next couple of years ,Pattaya for all its attractions will prevail I am sure,but the Eldorado awaiting the ex pats will be delightful, no visas,own your own home ,10 Burmese women per ex pat,there is no doubt. Language skills,ex Brit colony,oh please God was an Englishman for sure.

From my (albeit) rather limited experience of Myanmar, I'd say that changes will occur more slowly than many hope, and it will be perhaps 10-15 years before the country becomes a major tourist destination.

There is currently no land ownership law for foreigners, only land lease

Whilst some officials and elder citizens may speak English, most Burmese do not speak English at all well, unless they have attended university

The idea of go-go bars and the like to cater for sexpats is extremely unlikely. Think more like Lao PDR and it's rules against sex with unmarried Lao women

The country also drives on the wrong side of the road .....

Simon

Edited by simon43