Best All Round Scooter/Motorbike?

Shaktam

Just wondering what the best all round scooter is that can be purchased new in Thailand 2011/2012 model.

Nouvo elegance?

Honda wave?

Pcx?

Any other models?

Anyone who has owned more than one and can offer some comparisons would be great.

Ask fot his to be moved to the bikes forum for more replies.

In the meantime what is important in a scooter for you?

How much shopping do you want to carry? Do you want to strap anything to the rear seat? Carry bags of rice at the front? Store a full face helmet under the seat? Ride one or two up most of the time?

Basically just for small travel throughout the soi's. Riding alone most of the time as we are getting a car at some stage.

Go to the nearest dealer (easier for service) and buy the most expensive one you can either afford or wish to buy. If you don't like gears get an auto. If you are substantially built get a 125.

Nouvo elegance 135cc is 54k at the moment ,pretty bombproof solid bike ,135cc ,16 inch mag wheels (most auto scooters have only 14inch )

big storage for beer /helmet under the seat also ,double suspension on the back instead of single

Honda wave for sure.Get a fuel injected one. Reliable.cheap to drive and best handling of small bikes.

Honda Wave for sure! Get the 110i. I bought one brand new a little while ago. Sold it after 6 months for 8k less than I bought it for.

These bikes are indestructible! Especially good in areas that have bad roads (or no paved roads at all). I've owned a click and a Wave. The click is good for flat paved places (cities). Wave is good for this and everything else.

Quite fast also. Took mine up to 110k/hour on a slight downhill.

I hired a new PCX in Phuket a month ago and was pretty impressed, for what it was.

better than the click i had hired, and was way better 2 up.

I have BMW roadbike and a KTM dirtbike here in QLD.

and for a little Auto scooter it wasn't bad at all.

We have a Phantom, a Wave and a Fino. The best bike for everyday use, in my opinion is the Honda Wave. As already mentioned, seems to take abuse in its stride and repair/ maintenance cost are the cheapest.

i have had

fino

click

nuovo elegance

PCX

I vote PCX in all aspects.

economical

large fuel tank, no need to visit gas station every second day

nice to drive

more stable on the road

however if have more cash to spend, i would look into new SYM GTI Evo 300 maxi scooter price 152000 baht.

We have a Phantom, a Wave and a Fino. The best bike for everyday use, in my opinion is the Honda Wave. As already mentioned, seems to take abuse in its stride and repair/ maintenance cost are the cheapest.

We have the same bikes. The wave is 110 fuel injected I put 50 baht in it and drive for 100 kilo before i put another 50 baht in. The fino uses 50 baht in 40 kilos. Had a flat with the fino was told by local tire repair guy he couldnot fix it take it to the dealer,because of the drive train for the automatic he wouldnot touch it, it was the rear tire.

We have the same bikes. The wave is 110 fuel injected I put 50 baht in it and drive for 100 kilo before i put another 50 baht in. The fino uses 50 baht in 40 kilos. Had a flat with the fino was told by local tire repair guy he couldnot fix it take it to the dealer,because of the drive train for the automatic he wouldnot touch it, it was the rear tire.

he must have been a very very bad "mechanic" if he cant change a wheel on an auto bike at this stage in his career

Everyones talking the wave up but the reason I'm interested in the elegance is the 135 seems to have abit more acceleration and top end to the wave. Although I know the Pcx is the best cruiser out of all. CheckIng out the sym gti now.

An elegance is faster than a wave but the new pcx 150 is faster than the elegance

the sym should be much faster than any of them but should only compare based on price to keep it fair since a t-max or a burgman will be faster again

i take an elegance 135 over a wave 125 anyday ,both cost around 50k

Nouvo elegance 135cc is 54k at the moment ,pretty bombproof solid bike ,135cc ,16 inch mag wheels (most auto scooters have only 14inch )

big storage for beer /helmet under the seat also ,double suspension on the back instead of single

... but, more parts mean more expense.

Some of the real bikes (750's etc) have a mono shock/spring set up.

Plus bigger wheels = bigger tyres = more cost

But not saying your suggestion that it's not a top notch bike though ...

... but, more parts mean more expense.

Some of the real bikes (750's etc) have a mono shock/spring set up.

Plus bigger wheels = bigger tyres = more cost

But not saying your suggestion that it's not a top notch bike though ...

theres a differnce in a sportbike thats designed with a central mono-shock and a bike like a honda click ,which has a shock reduced for cost saving and only mounted on one side

the wave for example has 17" wheels which will need 17" tyres :)

scooter tyres are a few hundred thb up to a couple of thousand and last about 12,000km ,if you cant afford tyres ,you probably cant afford gas as well so not need to worry about the cost of motorcycling

Shaktam ... just some wise words from an experienced biker.

If you have not owned a bike for a long time (or never) you will, no matter how careful you are, you will drop the bike more then once while riding.

Maybe a 1 year old model with some of the depreciation knocked out of it might be better economical buying for you.

There are always heaps for sale throughout the year from ex-pats returning home who bought new and most likely well cared for.

http://www.thaivisa....le-in-thailand/

bikes-for-sale-in-thailand

Oh, one last tip ... ride with gloves ... they are the first to hit the road and the palms ALWAYS get painfully skinned (followed by the ankles, outside of the knees or your ass if that's the way you have fallen!)

Edited by David48

David48, thanks for the advice mate, I've owned dirt bikes before never owned a road bike or scooter but hired plenty of times in pattaya. That's actually a good idea as I will most likely drop it at some stage. Hoping to never get on it once I'm well oiled as I've seen a few stories now of DUI cases in pattaya. I guess the smaller bikes ie elegance will be lighter than the sym etc. so that maybe okay. On the other hand I have replaced plastics on a hire bike before that turned out to be really cheap from the Yamaha shop on theppesit rd. All good info from everyone but gettin home tomorrow so I'll head down to test run a few. That's if they let me of course.

Following on from above ... http://www.thaivisa....looks-like-new/

A few bikes that might be worth looking at.

If it's an ex-pat returning home, you might even get a helmet thrown in for free!

which one are you selling ? smile.png

Oh wana ... you big goof ... some of us just want to help ... sad.png

Actually I'm in Australia and the only purchases that I have ever made in Thailand are a couple of Tallies of Leo/Chang Singa etc.

But since you are asking I used to be a motorcycle courier in London and have owned bikes for the past 20 years and currently have a GSX 750.

But the most fun I had recently was hiring a Scoopy on Koh Sichang and scooting around with the GF on the back.

post-104736-0-59379800-1335446310_thumb.