What Whiske/Y Should I Buy A Thai Man As A Gift

ShanePashen

I am travelling to BKK in June, to meet my GF, and her brother who lives there as well.

I would like to pickup a bottle of Whiske/y, Scotch, Irish, or Japanese.

Somebody told me JW black is a safe bet.

Can't stand the stuff myself, but I'm not buying for myself.

I actually prefer expensive bourbons, and Tennessee whiskey, peasant I know, but that's what I like

Or a decent Gin, especially in summer.

When my budget affords it I love Armagnac as well, adore the stuff, find it better value than Cognac.

Truth be told, I drink more good wine than anything else these days.

Usually with food.

Anyway, what generally speaking, what would be a nice gift without being pretentious.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Black is what he and his friends will understand as a "status" gift.

Anything else will not be appreciated for it's taste or nor recognized for it's value.

Excellent, so no Macallan malt for him then.

JW black it will be,as boring as it is.

What your GF's brother would enjoy depends on his tastes and knowledge of Whisky.

If he is the type of chap to go out on the weekend (or week days) with his friends, slap a bottle of JW black label down on the table and enjoy it with mixers then I suggest you are offering nothing special to him.

If he is the type of chap to go out on the weekend (or week days) with his friends, slap a bottle of Sang Som down on the table and enjoy it with mixers then I suggest you are offering something a little more special which he might appreciate.

He might also be the type to slap 18 year old Macallan on the table and drink it with mixers in which case it's waste for someone who perhaps 'knows the price of everything and the value of nothing'.

However, he might appreciate the gesture and really value a Macallan, Glenmorangie. My experience has shown me that Peaty Whiskeys are generally unpopular with Thai's. My Thai Father In Law enjoys decent brandy above a whiskey so he sometimes gets a bottle of that, he often brings excellent wines to enjoy at dinner.

What I'm trying to point out is that while it is often perceived Thai's generally mix their Whisky and know little on the subject beyond the apparent status of your quaffable pleasure, Westerners do not have exclusivity on enjoying the 'good stuff', I have Thai friends whom upon receiving a bottle of Black Label might consider me somewhat of a philistine.

If you expect them to drink the Whisky neat or on ice, the Thai Palette may appreciate something slightly sweeter in which case I'd choose a bottle of Glenmorangie La Santa, Quinta Ruban, or Nectar Dor (which are matured in Sherry, Port and Desert Wine Casks).

Regardless of all of the above - by making the effort and making the gesture of giving him something you are doing the right thing. Any response from him will tell you of his attitudes towards you as a Westerner. Ultimately, he will see what he wants to see.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

What your GF's brother would enjoy depends on his tastes and knowledge of Whisky.

If he is the type of chap to go out on the weekend (or week days) with his friends, slap a bottle of JW black label down on the table and enjoy it with mixers then I suggest you are offering nothing special to him.

If he is the type of chap to go out on the weekend (or week days) with his friends, slap a bottle of Sang Som down on the table and enjoy it with mixers then I suggest you are offering something a little more special which he might appreciate.

He might also be the type to slap 18 year old Macallan on the table and drink it with mixers in which case it's waste for someone who perhaps 'knows the price of everything and the value of nothing'.

However, he might appreciate the gesture and really value a Macallan, Glenmorangie. My experience has shown me that Peaty Whiskeys are generally unpopular with Thai's. My Thai Father In Law enjoys decent brandy above a whiskey so he sometimes gets a bottle of that, he often brings excellent wines to enjoy at dinner.

What I'm trying to point out is that while it is often perceived Thai's generally mix their Whisky and know little on the subject beyond the apparent status of your quaffable pleasure, Westerners do not have exclusivity on enjoying the 'good stuff', I have Thai friends whom upon receiving a bottle of Black Label might consider me somewhat of a philistine.

If you expect them to drink the Whisky neat or on ice, the Thai Palette may appreciate something slightly sweeter in which case I'd choose a bottle of Glenmorangie La Santa, Quinta Ruban, or Nectar Dor (which are matured in Sherry, Port and Desert Wine Casks).

Regardless of all of the above - by making the effort and making the gesture of giving him something you are doing the right thing. Any response from him will tell you of his attitudes towards you as a Westerner. Ultimately, he will see what he wants to see.

Aside from demonstrating your knowledge of whisky and your personal tastes, this post offers nothing to the thread, except perhaps your lack of understanding of Thai culture.

The right answer was in post three, for all the right reasons.

• Like 1

Hi Shane ... probably

necronx99

Black is what he and his friends will understand as a "status" gift.

Anything else will not be appreciated for it's taste or nor recognized for it's value.

and

StreetCowboy

I like Chivas Regal as a gift, thanks to its distinctive and attractive box.

SC

nailed it.

The Thai love both the status of the gift and the presentation ... especially the Thai girls.

For me 100 Pipers in a fancy box gets a pass mark from the gf's Mum.

As long as I bring the soda and ice.

But I digress ...

Edited by David48

Aside from demonstrating your knowledge of whisky and your personal tastes, this post offers nothing to the thread, except perhaps your lack of understanding of Thai culture.

The right answer was in post three, for all the right reasons.

Was wondering when you would be along with your favourite hobby horse "not understanding Thai culture"

What ever the OP chooses, purchase a case of soda water to go with it.

Yes, Johnny Walker black or higher grade would be most appropriate to give as a gift.

Anything else of lower status would either be considered as an insult or simply not appreciated and probably best not to give anything at all rather than lose face and to appear like a moron.

post-110219-0-69111800-1335335969_thumb.

Yes, Johnny Walker black or higher grade would be most appropriate to give as a gift.

Anything else of lower status would either be considered as an insult or simply not appreciated and probably best not to give anything at all rather than lose face and to appear like a moron.

For me 100 Pipers in a fancy box gets a pass mark from the gf's Mum.

As long as I bring the soda and ice.

But I digress ...

Cough ... thanks Beetlejuice for the implication that (by buying less then 'Black' Label) that I am a moron.

BTW, the gift is going to the OP's GF's brother ... and in the order of how Shane (the OP) has to impress, he rates well down the list.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Especially Richard Smith 237 with his appreciation of fine whiske/y's

I should have qualified my expectations a bit better.

My GF and her brother are very much from working class peasant stock.

I really should have made that clear, I understand the point made, if he were from middle class, he may have a finer appreciation of the subtle nuances of different Whiske/ys and understand the distinction.

They are just average children of rice farmers from Isaan, working in everyday blue collar jobs.

I am none the less very proud of my GF and she may not be a "Hi So" as I have heard the term used here.

Or of Chinese/Thai extraction, but I am very proud to say she is mine.

I am Australian of working class heritage myself, not an ex SAS, ex corporate banker, or Qantas pilot.

In my youth I worked for many years in The hospitality trade here and in Europe, So I have learned to love some of the finer tipples along the way.

I was looking just for something to neither over or underwhelm him, just as an ice breaker when I meet him.

I will look for something in a nice presentation box at Suvy, when I arrive.

On a totally side note,i have decided I am going to shout myself a Bottle of XO Chabot Armagnac in the pretty porcelain duck.

I love Armagnac, and have always wanted to have that duck on my bar, next to the pool.

post-150057-0-96626700-1335339124_thumb.

Edited by ShanePashen
  • Like 1

Black Label is definitely the safest choice. Although Red Label is perfectly acceptable as well imo. The vast majority are just going to mix it with 90% coke and soda water anyway.

Although a bottle of decent gin or vodka would be fine too. Maybe he might appreciate something a bit different. You are allowed to take your own bottle of whiskey to bars and restaurants in Thailand, so a nice looking bottle of something they don't normally have might be nice

Edited by DP25

a bottle of lao kao at 69thb will do if hes a pisshead

if you wanna spoil him ,a bottle off mekong is around 150 thb in the 7/11

if hes really a conoisseur ,spend 177thb on a botte of Sang Som

Youre Welcome ! ;)

• Like 1

if you want to play safe, but still make it a little different spend an extra couple hundred baht on a bottle of Johnny Walker Double Black.

the packaging is quite impressive.

Johnnie%2BWalker%2BDouble%2BBlack%2BWhisky%2Bwww.caskstrength.net%2Bwhisky%2Bblog%2Btasting%2Bnotes%2Breview.jpg

same same but different

• Like 1

First time I visited the in laws I bought two bottles of decent 'duty free' whisky. It just got gulped down before they started on the Lao Kao, waste of money. Maybe buying something that they would find exotic, like Kirsch or Gin or a liqueur for the ladies would be a better idea?

I'm fairly sure that Shane is a troll with a planned schedule for release of troll posts.

If you look at his past posting history, you can tell he is leading up to the big one.

Which will be along the lines ........

Built/bought my girlfriend a house, caught her sleeping with her 'brother' ........ etc.

Nice try Shane, but a little too obvious.

As long as it doesn't say single malt on the label.................wink.png

However, if he does know his whisky's, try Cardhu 12 year old. (You can actually buy this in Thailand). When he has finished it, he can refill with 100 Pipers and he will be good for years to come...............biggrin.png

I'm fairly sure that Shane is a troll with a planned schedule for release of troll posts.

If you look at his past posting history, you can tell he is leading up to the big one.

Which will be along the lines ........

Built/bought my girlfriend a house, caught her sleeping with her 'brother' ........ etc.

Nice try Shane, but a little too obvious.

Mate let me give you some friendly advice, you need to step away from the keyboard for a while.

Go and spend some time in the fresh air.

The only Troll I know shares 50% custody of my youngest child.

• Like 2

if you want to play safe, but still make it a little different spend an extra couple hundred baht on a bottle of Johnny Walker Double Black.

the packaging is quite impressive.

Johnnie%2BWalker%2BDouble%2BBlack%2BWhisky%2Bwww.caskstrength.net%2Bwhisky%2Bblog%2Btasting%2Bnotes%2Breview.jpg

same same but different

Gotta say that looks mighty impressive, and at around the same price even better.

Looks very upmarket and I never knew such a thing existed.