Why Do Falang Ignore Falang?

Plucky

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way I can get very rude in elevators when people don't answer my greeting, so next time be careful.

Talk about "weird." So we should go around demanding replies to our uninvited greetings? What a nutjob.

do you not exchange business cards with people you share a lift with?

By the way I can get very rude in elevators when people don't answer my greeting, so next time be careful.

Talk about "weird." So we should go around demanding replies to our uninvited greetings? What a nutjob.

This lends a bit of credance that TV posters should wear nametags in public places so at least you might know who you are sharing a lift with.

Not doing the thread any good to get people to not ignore other falangs

ignore is at the root of the word ignorance. What's an uninvited greeting? I think it's abnormal not to greet people.

Farnag = something between a Balrog and a person that has lost touch with his humanity. I am proud of this word and will carry on using it

I insist on ignoring any farang who says 'falang'.

The minute I hear someone say that, I dismiss them as a lightweight. Same for grown (white) men who emulate bar speak and talk about themselves as 'pumpoi'and their favourite activity as 'boom boom'.

God help us.

Ask a Thai abroad why he does not go over and have a chat with the Pakistani sitting on that bench over there as you are both Asian. I will wager he will shoot you a look as though you have just said you are going to take a dump on the street.

Is it not the same with us?

Precisely. There is no other post worth considering on this thread.

The idea that I should share some rapport with a random stranger just because he has similar racial characteristics with me is utter nonsense. In the words of the immortal Morrissey

"In my life, why should I give valuable time,

to people who don't care if I live or die?

In my life, why should i give valuable time,

to people I'd much rather kick in the eye?"

I could see a white face yonder. What am I supposed to do? Go and say hello because he's white in a brown land? Imagine the risk; i could find myself talking to a German or a Frenchman by accident, activities that I've spent 47 years strenuously trying to avoid.

• Like 2

ignore is at the root of the word ignorance. What's an uninvited greeting? I think it's abnormal not to greet people.

Farnag = something between a Balrog and a person that has lost touch with his humanity. I am proud of this word and will carry on using it

You are wondering why foreigners in Thailand are not more open to other foreigners in Thailand?

You pose quite a good example of why.

• Like 2

Oh dear. I just typed 'farnag definition' into Google...

For me, it all comes down to situation and the greeting. There are situations when a nod of acknowledgement might be appropriate, which should go no further than that; but any uninvited exuberant greeting will immediately put me on the alert, lest said greeter tries to convert me to their religion or subjects me to some other meaningless drivel.

I can understand, most times my wife and I meet another couple, my wife has to answer many questions from the female, the first usually about where she found her handsome farang husband.....biggrin.png

I nod, smile, and greet Thai and farang alike...quite easy when you learn to walk without constantly having to check your feet are moving, people see your demeanor as you approach, then in my case often choose to make eye contact.....some of course are too busy checking the pavement for obstacles

• Like 1

happy to keep the debate going... reactions remind me of what happened when I suggested that people might want to learn Thai as long as they were going to stay here. Goodness me, the indignation.

Same when I suggested people learn to cook their favourite foods instead of moaning about a lack of it.

I once spent 30 minutes in London at a train station waiting for my wife to turn up. Not ONE of those 1000^s of people that went by made eye contact. T-shirt? how about 'avoid eye contact'?. That would make you look like a prat, wouldn't it?

Achtung, RANT: you guys are WEIRD. You also, none of you, seem to have ever lived in a village. I will be leaving Switzerland for Thailand soon after 40 years. If you take the liberty in a small village here of not replying when someone wishes you a bad day or a good day come to that ,the guy may well stop his tractor and come over to ask what's wrong. (actually happened). I have no problem with meeting peoples' eyes, be they street traders, royalty, lady boys or raddled old whores. I learnt quickly how to give the Thai smile meaning don't come near me you piece of s**t, and this doesn't cost me anything. In a small village some people say hello, some don't, no big deal although I have been known on occasion to make a remark letting them know what I think about people that don't respond to your pious wish that they have a good day. (ok I was drunk).

I did get fazed once when a Farnag said good morning and made a remark, then made it clear that he wasn't interested in my answer.

Just look at the guy for f***'s sake, who cares if he likes it or not. By the way I can get very rude in elevators when people don't answer my greeting, so next time be careful.

Is there not a passage in the Bible about shaking the dust of a house from your feet when the people there are not hospitable?

Peace and love

I would avoid any white guy who I suspected of being this crazy.

(just realized that includes most white guys in Thailand)

(just realized the last line made me appear sexist, so pointing out I also avoid white women)

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Achtung, RANT: you guys are WEIRD. You also, none of you, seem to have ever lived in a village. I will be leaving Switzerland for Thailand soon after 40 years. If you take the liberty in a small village here of not replying when someone wishes you a bad day or a good day come to that ,the guy may well stop his tractor and come over to ask what's wrong. (actually happened). I have no problem with meeting peoples' eyes, be they street traders, royalty, lady boys or raddled old whores. I learnt quickly how to give the Thai smile meaning don't come near me you piece of s**t, and this doesn't cost me anything. In a small village some people say hello, some don't, no big deal although I have been known on occasion to make a remark letting them know what I think about people that don't respond to your pious wish that they have a good day. (ok I was drunk).

I did get fazed once when a Farnag said good morning and made a remark, then made it clear that he wasn't interested in my answer.

Just look at the guy for f***'s sake, who cares if he likes it or not. By the way I can get very rude in elevators when people don't answer my greeting, so next time be careful.

Is there not a passage in the Bible about shaking the dust of a house from your feet when the people there are not hospitable?

Peace and love

You sound like a Swiss guy that lived in Kap Choeng about 15 years ago..He had his throat slit by a couple of young boys on motorcys after he shouted at them in a bar........ He survived.......but stopped shouting at locals ....don't know if it was the operation or the cause of the operation though..

Peace and love

I would avoid any white guy who I suspected of being this crazy.

(just realized that includes most white guys in Thailand)

(just realized the last line made me appear sexist, so pointing out I also avoid white women)

sick.gifwhistling.gif whats the problem with white woman then?

One thing I love about living in Australia, people acknowledge and talk to you.

I notice the same westerners walk down our quiet soi in NongKhai, year after year without a nod, bye you or leave you.

Totally a different ball game with the Thais/ other Asians.

I dont care what nationality people are but a smile goes a long way and to be perfectly honest I find it arrogant and rude.

I do think that many expats believe that they are superior for some reason or other lol.

I agree with you edwinclapham, but I have at times tried to offer help to people who are lost and they are often European who don't speak much English and then they get stroppy or just ignore the advice you offer anyway. That has made me more reticent to get involved too much, but as you say; a smile and a nod (or even G'day) costs nothing.

• Like 2

I once spent 30 minutes in London at a train station waiting for my wife to turn up. Not ONE of those 1000^s of people that went by made eye contact. T-shirt? how about 'avoid eye contact'?. That would make you look like a prat, wouldn't it?

I don't think you need any teeshirt to look like a prat, to be fair.

I don't think you need any teeshirt to look like a prat, to be fair.

I still wear one though, out of consideration to others

SC

• Like 1

Say Hi to me in the street and you will get a Hi back, then I would pause, look back thinking "who was that? Do I know them? No, I don't think so, weirdo". I get the feeling that people who say hi to every other farang have an "us and them" attitude at worst, or is so desperately in need to farang conversation that they will speak to anyone. Being a smoker, getting caught by the latter types is regular occasion when standing outside a mall. Most recently, outside fashion Island, was dragged into a conversation by some old dude pulled into BKK by his clan from the sticks and from his talk had not spoken to another farang in months. That lasted as long as it took me to choke down my smoke

sick.gifwhistling.gif whats the problem with white woman then?

Don't ask me, I've always avoided them.

blink.png

So yours is not a HiSo Thai Chinese?

Mine not so hiso...she only circa 155cm.

Confucius say...'hiso only so high until knock off perch.'

The minute I hear someone say that, I dismiss them as a lightweight. Same for grown (white) men who emulate bar speak and talk about themselves as 'pumpoi'and their favourite activity as 'boom boom'.

God help us.

I agree with this statement, I suggest though, to skip the farang/falang word totally.

Why just not say foreigner, or their name?

Edited by ayayay

One guy we met in a supermarket was very friendly....had lived here a long time and very chatty...even invited us over for dinner one night......but I think the way he was looking at my missus, he had more than dinner on his mind.

Dirty old bastard.

was he called Dr Lector ? :)

God help us.

I agree with this statement, I suggest though, to skip the farang/falang word totally.

ok , Farnag sounds better to me anyway.

Foreigner includes the Chinese, Malayans, Burmese, Laotians.... Farang means foreigners of European or North American origin. You prefer to say that?

God help us.

Foreigners include many groups to which the OP was obviously not referring, and it would take a while to write the names of all the Farangs in Thailand

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

• Like 1

God help us.

Foreigners include many groups to which the OP was obviously not referring, and it would take a while to write the names of all the Farangs in Thailand

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

when someone says farang I think westerner probably Caucasian - when someone says foreigner I think Enid Blyton or Agatha Christie type character!!

I'll be the first to admit I have an odd mind...

• Like 2