Visor On Your Helmet

What I can find is this;

--------------------------------

Ordinance No. 14/1992 of the Ministry of Interior

Section 1

Definition of a helmet.

Descriptions of 3 types of helmet: full-face, open-face and half-face.

When the helmet is accompanied with a visor, the visor must be transparent and untainted.

Section 2

A motorcycle helmet must be one of the 3 types mentioned in Section 1. When the industrial standards have been set, a motorcycle helmet must come up to the standards.

Section 3

When riding a motorcycle, both the driver and the passenger must wear a motorcycle helmet and fasten the chin strap securely so that the helmet doesn't come off in case of a collision.

Edited by Richard-BKK

I use my Pro-Lite MarksMan glasses, they're actual professional shooting glasses, and they work very well day or night. And according to my g/f they look pretty cool. Before I had a helmet with a dark visor but got tired of paying a fine at every police stop.

If you not into gun sports the Pro-Lite MarksMan is probably a bit expensive, but the quality is superb... You can buy them at several gun shops in Bangkok (probably outside Bangkok also).

"Before I had a helmet with a dark visor but got tired of paying a fine at every police stop."

is there a law against tinted helmet visors in Thailand?

I've been fined a couple of times for this with my old Real helmet with the reflective type visor. One of the reasons I bought the HJC so I can just flip the internal visor back up into the helmet if I see a police point (or approach the area where I know they are). Probably cheaper to pay the fines but it annoys me to hand cash over to these 'police', the HJC is much better quality anyway so worth it IMO.

interesting, i've never heard of this before. A check of an english translation of the thai traffic laws doesn't say anything. The only reference to helmets is

Section 122 (500B)

[The rider and the passenger of a motorcycle shall wear a motorcycle helmet.

The provision under this Section is not forced for monks, novices,
ascetics,
persons of other religions which require wearing of a turban, or any persons under Ministerial Regulation.]

couldnt we all just claim to be ascetics ?Officer, i have not smoked a cigarette for three weeks ,therefore i am now a bona fide Ascetic because of my abstainance from the pleasure i got from smoking,I believe i now fall in the category permitted to not wear any helmet :)

Asceticism (from the Greek: ἄσκησις, áskēsis, "exercise" or "training") describes a lifestyle characterized by abstinence from various worldly pleasures, often with the aim of pursuing religious and spiritual goals. Many religious traditions (e.g. Buddhism, Jainism, the Christian desert fathers) include practices that involve restraint with respect to actions of body, speech, and mind. The founders and earliest practitioners of these religions lived extremely austere lifestyles, refraining from sensual pleasures and the accumulation of material wealth. They practiced asceticism not as a rejection of the enjoyment of life, or because the practices themselves are virtuous, but as an aid in the pursuit of salvation or liberation.

What I can find is this;

Section 1

Definition of a helmet.

When the helmet is accompanied with a visor, the visor must be transparent and untainted.

Section 2

A motorcycle helmet must be one of the 3 types mentioned in Section 1. When the industrial standards have been set, a motorcycle helmet must come up to the standards.

Section 3

When riding a motorcycle, both the driver and the passenger must wear a motorcycle helmet and fasten the chin strap securely so that the helmet doesn't come off in case of a collision.

Thanks for the reference. I assume it should be untinted rather than untainted.

and have the 'industrial standards' been set and what are they?

Edited by taichiplanet

What I can find is this;

Section 1

Definition of a helmet.

Section 2

Section 3

Very interesting, thanks. I always was sure that even Thailand has real laws which regulate most things professionally. Many farang (and many Thai people) think there aren't such detailed official regulations. "Law" is mostly much more difficult than just taking a paragraph of the "thai traffic laws". There are "ordinances" or "administration regulations" and such things that extend/explain the "raw laws" so it could be enforced by police.

Also interesting that you have to close the chin strap by law. Should be consequential, but most people wouldn't believe it.

Edited by wantan

What I can find is this;

Section 1

Definition of a helmet.

Section 2

Section 3

Thanks for the reference. I assume it should be untinted rather than untainted.

and have the 'industrial standards' been set and what are they?

Thanks for the 'untained' correction, I will change that in my translation.

For the 'industrial standard' Thailand still hasn't set a helmet protection standard... but when they do this rule will apply... (I know it's weird a Thai law maker who thinks about future events) Still I cannot translate it much different...

Yeah but will it still be attached to your bike when you get back from shopping?!

Index do one ( i-Shield 811) but i don't think it is DOT rated; at THB 1,100 probably not!

post-70604-0-36289200-1337563886_thumb.j

I'm not sure many Thai's can tell the difference between a 1100 baht Index and a 5000 baht HJC. Maybe, maybe not but I chain mine to the bike anyway, irrespective of the money it's REALLY inconvenient having a helmet stolen in Bangkok - apart from the obvious safety concerns, having to ride a big(ish) bike home with no helmet makes me look and feel like a complete idiot.

Section 3

So can i be charged if i dont tie that rope ?

Section 3

Yep, the rope must be done up securely. As there are no standards yet for the helmet, you should get away with the fact that the rope is securely fastening an ice cream container on your head!

As there are no standards yet for the helmet, you should get away with the fact that the rope is securely fastening an ice cream container on your head!

Don't think so. You can call cheap supermarket helmets "ice cream containers", but in fact they are made to be used as motorcycle helmets. And you have to use helmets that are "made for use on motorbikes" of course. Why do all people want to be so superduper clever and think they can do everything without getting charged for it? There are laws for it, don't think there are none smile.png

As there are no standards yet for the helmet, you should get away with the fact that the rope is securely fastening an ice cream container on your head!

Don't think so. You can call cheap supermarket helmets "ice cream containers", but in fact they are made to be used as motorcycle helmets. And you have to use helmets that are "made for use on motorbikes" of course. Why do all people want to be so superduper clever and think they can do everything without getting charged for it? There are laws for it, don't think there are none smile.png

you've actually taken what i said out of context. If you want to be a stickler for rules, then maybe you should obey the forum rules and not edit someone's post. You naughty, naughty boy! 1zgarz5.gif not that i really give a .........

Refer to madjbs post yesterday about banter (#74)

http://www.thaivisa....50#entry5317378

Edited by taichiplanet

you've actually taken what i said out of context. If you want to be a stickler for rules, then maybe you should obey the forum rules and not edit someone's post. You naughty, naughty boy! 1zgarz5.gif not that i really give a .........

Refer to madjbs post yesterday about banter (#74)

http://www.thaivisa....50#entry5317378

clap2.gif Always a pleasure these "discussions" on the bike forum laugh.png

I hate that rope on helmets as much as i hate the ropes in a car.

I even home made a helmet so it stick on my head up to 100 km/h without that damned rope

Home made? Bald pate and two-sided sticky tape? tongue.png

Honestly: How to do that? I do not like the strap too.

You obviously don't like safety gear. Maybe you can use the ascetics clause (post #32) if you do not care about safety at all wink.png

Section 3

No, they put that bit in for a laugh. Just ignore it.

Well, if I'm following the evolution of shield solutions here, tinted shields can get me a fine but sunglasses are less likely to do so, or maybe not at all.

If I had to guess, I'd suppose that BIB would be most likely to pay attention to mirrored and blackend shields (especially way down south), as they cannot identify the rider? Certainly here in CM, many motorbike riders on weekdays wear tinted shields, of those that have them. Police at static posts are still stopping those without helmits at all, so far.

I hate that rope on helmets as much as i hate the ropes in a car.

I even home made a helmet so it stick on my head up to 100 km/h without that damned rope

Home made? Bald pate and two-sided sticky tape? tongue.png

Honestly: How to do that? I do not like the strap too.

You obviously don't like safety gear. Maybe you can use the ascetics clause (post #32) if you do not care about safety at all wink.png

I put some extra cushion inside the helmet, making it artificially smaller, the german ww2 helmet works best,

the viking helmet with 2 horns worked too, but too many laughs

Exactly, I just bought a Shark Vision-R which has one. It is by far the best helmet I have had, fantastic vision, lightweight and well made.

True, bought the same. Although it's my first helmet ever and therefore cannot compare with others, I am really satisfied with it. It even has specially designed pads on each side to facilitate the wearing of glasses.

Theres plenty of helmets with clear visor and built-in drop down sun visor... Problem solved?!

Yep that's what I've got, a HJC with the internal visor. Press the button on top of the helmet and it slides back up into the helmet. Works great, 5000 baht from the UK

FS10Silver-SideLeft_lg.jpg

I think that is 3900 here in Thailand from the local shops

Theres plenty of helmets with clear visor and built-in drop down sun visor... Problem solved?!

Yep that's what I've got, a HJC with the internal visor. Press the button on top of the helmet and it slides back up into the helmet. Works great, 5000 baht from the UK

I bought a couple of helmets with the internal visor but I find that I can't see as well with them as with a single exterior visor. The internal visor is fine for riding around town but out on the highway on a faster bike I don't find them acceptable. For riding around town on my Air Blade I use the helmet with the internal visor but out on the highway at speed another helmet with a tinted external visor.

• 3 weeks later...