Safest Place To Live In Cm?

mrmackerel

I'm a composer with instruments and some recording equipment. Where would you say the safest place to live is?

Apartments I believe are out because of noise (me or others).

Moobahn sounds the way to go, but I understand many have security that is not reliable.

Suggestions? What have been your experiences?

A house in a moobaan is the best way to go. Now all you need is to find a moobaan that has good security. Some are very good and some are really lacking. However, at least in a moobaan you get to know your neighbors and they in turn take notice of strangers walking around that don't belong there (SOMETIMES).

At any rate a lot better than in certain areas inside the City.

So now the questions should be "Which moobaans provide the best security".

Maybe someone who likes to conduct polls could create one asking who has been robbed, burgled, victim of any crime in CM.

That should be interesting and then a subsequent poll might attempt to break it down by area.

I am not such a person.

Can't see a renter in a moo ban that's if playing any type of instrument to loud would last long, wouldn't go over well in my moo ban.

As for safety, I don't rely on anyone for it. Safety is my own responsibility.

Many of the older condo buildings are very safe, with security in the lobby and cameras around the building. If your music sounds like the noise of remodeling (i.e. power saw on granite, power chisel removing old tile) then no one will notice the noise, provided you stick with the condo's published rules about the allowed timeframe for remodeling noise.

You are in a precarious situation.

If you intend to practise and play your instruments or loud music at home, than you are not going to be very popular among a tightly packed residential community.

I suggest that you consider renting a detached house or bungalow that stands on it`s own grounds with ample distanced between you and your neighbors that will decrease the noise annoyance levels where other people will not be disturbed.

As for security, there is no point in contemplating owning a dog unless you fully intend, can accommodate and are able to stay in Thailand for the rest of the dog’s lifetime.

It may be worth considering hiring a live in housekeeper who would be at home when you are out, but even that is risky, unless you are able to find a person by good recommendation.

The places to search for accommodation as I described above, are of course the classifieds here on Thai visa or try visiting some real estate agents.

In the long term it`s going to cost you more, but I don’t see any alternatives if you want peace of mind.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Surely you need to keep that a secret???

I have a stack of gold lying around, anyone got any bright ideas where i could bury it so no one knows...cheesy.gif

Stack of gold? I'm certainly not bringing a recording studio, and I don't have expensive instruments. However, at the same time, and in line with that I don't have a lot of money, replacing them all if they were stolen would be difficult.

Can't see a renter in a moo ban that's if playing any type of instrument to loud would last long, wouldn't go over well in my moo ban.

As for safety, I don't rely on anyone for it. Safety is my own responsibility.

I'm not very noisy at all. I currently live in Japan and work out of an apartment. No one has ever complained, and that's because I'm not loud. Most of my work is on an electric piano, of which I can control the volume. However, if the area is noisy, I can't mix.

If I could find a cheap acoustic piano, like an old upright, I would consider buying it, though. That would be about as noisy as I get.

Some moobahn are very well secured. I visited one where, after one big iron gate is opened, you drive forward to the guard room where at least two guards are on duty. Before you is another iron gate, so you are trapped. Have to have your own card - or talk to the guard. High walls ring the development. Going out is of course just reversed. In another moobahn the main gate is always guarded by at least three chaps, and going beyond leads you to a further guarded gate for your own group of houses. There are patrols (on motorbikes) plus, yes, the neighbors.

Certainly there are places where the guard situation have been reduced or cancelled, but there are many reliable examples of the opposite.

You'll know, of course, that only Thais can own land.

There are many who will tell you to avoid agents, as they charge a month's rent and are principally working for the owner. However, just taking a look at rental houses in this city via Google will allow you to develop a list of realitors. My own walked me through half a dozen places, and during the second year negotiated the rent downward, knowing that I'd search elsewhere. Also they provided a 'standard' contract in both Thai and English and acted as intermediary for every concern I've had (not many).

It remains in this town a renters' market for houses.

As you look at these offerings for houses, you'll note the term 'gated' given. A telephone call (skype?) will allow agents to indicate if the places are secure - or less so. Perhaps best to take a residence-hotel for a week or two and apply to these agents for showings. Remember that as the market is soft, asking prices may well be negotiable.

Edited by CMX

I have a stack of gold lying around, anyone got any bright ideas where i could bury it so no one knows...cheesy.gif

Yeah sure, sure...I got a place for ya..PM me and I'll send along the info. BTW – I'll need your banking info as well, you know, for security reasons...(nudge, nudge, wink, wink) wink.png

Yeah sure, sure...I got a place for ya..PM me and I'll send along the info. BTW – I'll need your banking info as well, you know, for security reasons...(nudge, nudge, wink, wink) wink.png

You guys are taking the piss, right? (c:

My most valuable piece of equipment is my desktop. However, I'm sure there are many of you that have laptops worth more. If crime is so high that a computer, recording interface, and a few 3rd-4th hand instruments are considered a goldmine.... well, shit...

Maybe someone who likes to conduct polls could create one asking who has been robbed, burgled, victim of any crime in CM.

That should be interesting and then a subsequent poll might attempt to break it down by area.

I am not such a person.

Send a PM to Jingthing. tongue.png

mrmackerel..........I suggest you consider moo bahn Banwangtan in Hang Dong 15 minutes South of Chiang Mai city center.

It is a large moo bahn with a 4 kilometer perimeter with better security than most.

Each home is on its own tree shaded lot with many rentals ranging from 7000 to 25,000 baht per month. Most homes are owner occupied with only half of the development built out. Many homes are holiday homes for Bangkok residents.

Noise is not an issue as the glide slope to Chiang mai International is nearby with large airplanes coming and going 24/7. As well most every home has at least one dog and there are more than a few private breeding kennels scattered around the moo bahn. Thai's do this to supplement their income and it is permitted activity.

Frequently there are weekend karoke parties that can be very loud but they seem to quiet down around midnite.

Noise and security.........not an issue in Banwangtan..........and don't forget to get a dog.

Jolly Roger