Manchester United

redrus

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"But yes, it will always be bigger than United vs City for us" - spoken like a true mancunian, NOT!

I wonder where and when this idea that Liverpool vs ManU is bigger than Man City vs ManU came from? Anyway i must tell my 88 yr old mancunian dad, whose been following City all his life, about this and give him a good laugh - I'm sure he's lived his life ignorant of this.

I'll grant you there have been periods of time when the Liverpool vs ManU game was bigger in uk football than City vs ManU but it hasn't always been and it won't always be. Liverpool haven't always been a top of the table team (i.e. prior to Shankley) have they.

Anyway come on the scousers in ManU's biggest derby ;-)

see my reply #22494 

800 Million will tune in for MU vs LFC

Edited by BangrakBob

4 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

see my reply #22494 

800 Million will tune in for MU vs LFC

In Thailand Central will put a big screen up outside some of their malls so thousands can watch. As far as I am aware, they don't do this for any other fixture, including Real Madrid v Barca.

• Like 2

I doubt anyone will dominate English Prem for 10 years plus for the forseeable. Too much money in too may hands, so the critical success factors become as much about luck as they do about talented management.

Edited by SantiSuk

1 hour ago, SantiSuk said:

I doubt anyone will dominate English Prem for 10 years plus for the forseeable. Too much money in too may hands, so the critical success factors become as much about luck as they do about talented management.

So I guess Arsenal are quite unlucky then :wink:

10 hours ago, champers said:

In Thailand Central will put a big screen up outside some of their malls so thousands can watch. As far as I am aware, they don't do this for any other fixture, including Real Madrid v Barca.

I'm not doubting that ManU vs Liverpool isn't the biggest game in Thailand hence why they show it outside shopping malls etc. In my 3 decades here, going back to when only 20mins of English highlights were shown on Saturday afternoon plus the FA cup Final, I'd say that Liverpool has always been Thailand's most popular club (they'd had years of recent success by then but were just ending their dominance), followed by ManU. 

I am doubting though, how for ManU fans, as they alledge, the game vs Liverpool is bigger and more important to them than the Manchester derby. 

34 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I'm not doubting that ManU vs Liverpool isn't the biggest game in Thailand hence why they show it outside shopping malls etc. In my 3 decades here, going back to when only 20mins of English highlights were shown on Saturday afternoon plus the FA cup Final, I'd say that Liverpool has always been Thailand's most popular club (they'd had years of recent success by then but were just ending their dominance), followed by ManU. 

I am doubting though, how for ManU fans, as they alledge, the game vs Liverpool is bigger and more important to them than the Manchester derby. 

They probably say it is bigger just to rile City fans. It works.

I've been living on and off in Bangkok for five years. I'd say Man United is far and away the most popular club hereabouts. At least judging from the apparel on display and talk about town. A distant second would be Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. I see very little Man City apparel in BKK.

Maybe MrB could establish a Man City Moto dealership in Bangkok.:smile:

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

There's not as much history between Man U and City because Man City until the last 5 years have never been much good (at least in my lifetime).  There's lots of history and drama between Man U and Liverpool because they've almost always been in close competition with each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, champers said:

They probably say it is bigger just to rile City fans. It works.

We don't we genuinely hate Liverpool with a passion, city don't even come close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

yes a fair call.but for the next couple of seasons.m/city hold all the aces.arsenal/ c/sea are shot birds. spuds are true bottlers.m/u are not gelling.l/pool are my pick to chase m/city  home next season but can they get the big monkey off their backs .me thinks no way .therefore iam returning to sydney next month for a overdose on aussie fine reds will be asking 5./2  with my bookiefor m/city to complete back to back e.p.l wins not done since m/u about a decade ago 

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

This. I went to an all Red school which many United players kids went to, but we didn't hate City. Up until 10 years ago they were a bit of a joke, now they are just annoying neighbours. 

I am from city's heartland Stockport and have many blue mates, they know and I know who our real enemy are, yes city are now starting to become a rival but it will take years for them to become our main rivals, every red to a man wanted them to pip Liverpool to the title in 2014 and that says a lot.

• Like 1

Just back on topic football, Pogba is starting to piss me off he has missed spurs and city at home and Liverpool and Chelsea away and now he is set to miss this game, 5 of our most important games of the season and he can't keep himself on the pitch, to much dancing and zabing at night.

I am not using him as an excuse for this game as I think we have enough to beat Liverpool without him.

2 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

There's not as much history between Man U and City because Man City until the last 5 years have never been much good (at least in my lifetime).  There's lots of history and drama between Man U and Liverpool because they've almost always been in close competition with each other.

Are you for real? Do you know anything about City pre-recent seasons? It's like you tthink we materialised in 2008. Wiki is your friend. 

This. I went to an all Red school which many United players kids went to, but we didn't hate City. Up until 10 years ago they were a bit of a joke, now they are just annoying neighbours. 

How old are you? If you're in your 50s or old then you're talking <deleted> or you went to an allred school darn sarf not Manchester. 

It’s the fact that 2 of the biggest most successful clubs in the world that represent their respective cities to the world are 5 minutes away from each other and the rivalry to be the best has been around for a long time, the culture, the music, the clobber and football has always been intertwined. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nev said:

yes city are now starting to become a rival but it will take years for them to become our main rivals,

forget about all the tribal Sh#t and past records etc etc  ,, how can you state the above about M/City,   they are light years in front of M/U , just take a peek at the EPL table, and in particular at the end of this season,  sadly like most M/U numptys you are dwelling in the past,   poor lost soul

15 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

How old are you? If you're in your 50s or old then you're talking <deleted> or you went to an allred school darn sarf not Manchester. 

I'm 34 and funnily enough I come from Manchester (not Stockport). 

But my relatively young age doesn't stop me from knowing my history, or listening to those who are older than me. Plenty of times I've been told about when United played at Maine Road during the post war years. Many supporters went to watch both teams on alternate Saturdays. I'd say there is more of a kinship than hate between United and City. 

A few of us have tried to explain why United view Liverpool / Leeds rivalries above City. If you don't understand by now I rest my case.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, nev said:

Just back on topic football, Pogba is starting to piss me off he has missed spurs and city at home and Liverpool and Chelsea away and now he is set to miss this game, 5 of our most important games of the season and he can't keep himself on the pitch, to much dancing and zabing at night.

I am not using him as an excuse for this game as I think we have enough to beat Liverpool without him.

I would rather have an average player with 100% commitment than spoilt brat Pogba with 50%

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

It’s the fact that 2 of the biggest most successful clubs in the world that represent their respective cities to the world are 5 minutes away from each other and the rivalry to be the best has been around for a long time, the culture, the music, the clobber and football has always been intertwined. 

It all goes back to way before the football with Manchester building the ship canal to bypass the monopoly Liverpool had on tariff's enter their port, The ship canal put many scousers out of work.

Years later it  moved to football and has developed into a healthy rivalry except for the idiots who spoil it with mocking the dead.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

A few of us have tried to explain why United view Liverpool / Leeds rivalries above City. If you don't understand by now I rest my case.

You'd better mate, or the Bredbury Bore will be on at you all bloody night:thumbsup:

18 minutes ago, smedly said:

I would rather have an average player with 100% commitment than spoilt brat Pogba with 50%

plus you have a couple more in that camp,  hence my comment  two posts back   no gelling , T.B.H . on Pogba,s performances so far this season, i would not have him in my starting line up against L/Pool,  a Real Show Pony, the old tyrant Fergy was clearly on the money a few seasons back , but Mou had other idea,s and its backfired on him, guess you win some ,lose some  on T/F ,s but Mou,s  appears  to have lost his midas touch ,particular  at M/U, spent a lot of dosh and is  still looking right up M/City,s kyber ,long way it continue

I am from city's heartland Stockport and have many blue mates, they know and I know who our real enemy are, yes city are now starting to become a rival but it will take years for them to become our main rivals, every red to a man wanted them to pip Liverpool to the title in 2014 and that says a lot.

I was born in Salford but went to secondary school for 3 years at Mile End (Stockport School). I would say there were defo more blues than reds there back then. This was Ron Atkinson years, approximately.

4 hours ago, jellydog said:

I've been living on and off in Bangkok for five years. I'd say Man United is far and away the most popular club hereabouts. At least judging from the apparel on display and talk about town. A distant second would be Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. I see very little Man City apparel in BKK.

Maybe MrB could establish a Man City Moto dealership in Bangkok.:smile:

Out and about in BKK today. About 5 Liverpool shirts, no Man United shirts, an Argie Messi shirt, and an Argie Higuain shirt.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

I'm 34 and funnily enough I come from Manchester (not Stockport). 

But my relatively young age doesn't stop me from knowing my history, or listening to those who are older than me. Plenty of times I've been told about when United played at Maine Road during the post war years. Many supporters went to watch both teams on alternate Saturdays. I'd say there is more of a kinship than hate between United and City. 

Was with  you until "I'd say there is more of a kinship than hate between United and City." Oh yeah, real kinship.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

For you Mancunians, you need to buy yourselves a copy of Gary James 'Manchester: A Football History - The Story of City, United, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Stalybridge, Stockport and More' to learn about ALL the clubs in Manchester area as some of you seem to know bugger all about City pre-2008 and it's a seriously good book.

I'd always understood that pre-WW2 City were the bigger Manchester club, post-WW2 United are the bigger Manchester club. I'd read this (in the book above and others) and was told this by my old man and my granddad. So I did a quick look at the respective league positions and average attendances of City and ManU (and Liverpool) based on the details at http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/manc.htm etc., as a basis means of showing club size relative to others, which showed: 

• pre-WW2, City finished above united in 29 of 43 seasons and City had bigger average attendance in 35 of 43 seasons - City bigger crowds AND in the league out performed United pre-WW2
  • pre-WW2, City finished above Liverpool in 16 of 42 seasons and City had bigger average attendance in 29 of 42 seasons - City bigger crowds but in the league Liverpool out performed City pre-WW2
  • pre-WW2, United finished above Liverpool in 8 of 42 seasons and united had bigger average attendance in 12 of 42 seasons - United smaller crowds and in the league were out performed by Liverpool pre-WW2

• post WW2, City finished above united in 15 of 71 seasons and City had bigger average attendance in 0 of 71 seasons - United bigger crowds AND in the league out performed City post-WW2
  • post WW2, City finished above Liverpool in 21 of 71 seasons and City had bigger average attendance in 12 of 71 seasons - Liverpool bigger crowds AND in the league out performed City post-WW2
  • post WW2, United finished above Liverpool in 41 of 71 seasons and united had bigger average attendance in 57 of 71 seasons - Liverpool smaller crowds and were out performed by United post-WW2

Obviously during those years the clubs had good and bad seasons, periods when they finished higher/lower and had better/worse attendances than the other 2 clubs.

But in the last 10 seasons:

• City finished above United 5 times. United have bigger crowds.
  • City finished above Liverpool 8 times and had bigger crowds in 8 seasons.
  • United finished above Liverpool 8 times and had bigger crowds in 10 seasons.

The moral of this story is times change in football and none of us know which of the teams will prosper in the coming years.