Manchester United

redrus

5 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Mourinho is in the process of playing some players he isn't sure about in these last few games. That's the only way to know if they are good enough to make the cut. 

It actually takes a manager with balls to play players he doesn't have total confidence in, with a view to improving the squad in the long term.

So not sure about Rashford, Martial, Herrera etc..........Jeez if he doesn't know by now he never will do.

And as for making the cut..........well Salah, KDB, Torres, De Luiz, the Chelsea physio and a few at other clubs with whom he had a falling out, obviously didn't see things his way, or make the cut!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Can't disagree with your first point.

Regarding your second point I asked earlier this afternoon do you reds think ManU, with or without Maureen, can win the PL and/or the CL next season, yes or no? So what's your honest opinion?

It's possible. 

3 hours ago, carmine said:

i'd imagine

You do a lot of imagining. 

If you want to be taken seriously go through each Spurs PL game this season,  take away every goal that involved a Kane goal or assist (27), adjust the points accordingly and see where you end up. 

It will do you good to spend a while away from this forum.  Let me know how you get on. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RickG16 said:

If you want to be taken seriously go through each Spurs PL game this season,  take away every goal that involved a Kane goal or assist (27), adjust the points accordingly and see where you end up. 

It will do you good to spend a while away from this forum.  Let me know how you get on. 

You got a like from BB.  At this point you should be questioning what you are posting.  

Try and be a Richard rather than a Rick with a silent P.  Theres no point in getting snotty because an observation has been made that De Gea has been your most important player these past five years...how many times have fans voted him player of the year? Four? Thats unprecedented.

Frankly, your arguments regards United are in direct contrast to opinions voiced via United fans on msm so i don't know why you are getting all snotty with our observations.  Most United fans on msm appear to have a very different opinion than you, they ain't happy at all.

1 hour ago, carmine said:

You got a like from BB.  At this point you should be questioning what you are posting.  

Try and be a Richard rather than a Rick with a silent P.  Theres no point in getting snotty because an observation has been made that De Gea has been your most important player these past five years...how many times have fans voted him player of the year? Four? Thats unprecedented.

Frankly, your arguments regards United are in direct contrast to opinions voiced via United fans on msm so i don't know why you are getting all snotty with our observations.  Most United fans on msm appear to have a very different opinion than you, they ain't happy at all.

Carmine I'm pretty generous in handing out my likes and even give them to your posts, so following your logic, at this point YOU should be questioning what you are posting. :laugh:

21 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Rick.........no matter what facts/statistics rational discussions you come up with on here you will be abused/ignored....the simple fact is if you are a Red and the others hate us (too successful/popular)....as I have advised you before give it up, I was given the same advice 4 years ago by others and unfortunately I chose (until recently) to ignore it.....rarely now do I bother.....aint worth it :thumbsup:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carmine said:

Why do you persist in posting to me BB.  I've made it clear i'm not interesting in what you have to say.  Go irritate elsewhere please.

Carmine, YOUR post to Ricky boy referred to me; I was merely responding to YOUR personal comment about me. It's my perogative to post or not post, it's your perogative to read or not read. Simple structure of a forum. 

Ignore feature works fine for me with the two I don't wish to read. 

Edited by Bredbury Blue

38 minutes ago, petermik said:

Rick.........no matter what facts/statistics rational discussions you come up with on here you will be abused/ignored....the simple fact is if you are a Red and the others hate us (too successful/popular)....as I have advised you before give it up, I was given the same advice 4 years ago by others and unfortunately I chose (until recently) to ignore it.....rarely now do I bother.....aint worth it :thumbsup:

Actually partially correct.  The nature of the football forum is if something is definitely 100% black and you state it is 100% black, inevitably someone will come along on the footy forum and tell it's white because either they once played profootball (15 minutes for Barnestoneworth United) or they're a football expert. You just have to laugh at them and stick to your guns. It's either a fact (some don't like facts on here) or an opinion or speculation,  and posting on here is for your own entertainment. 

Edited by Bredbury Blue

4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

See terrible Mourinho's ManU are 4 points ahead of wonderful Klopp's Liverpool and 6 points ahead of great Pochettino's Spurs. Just saying.

Which also begs the question... would you rather be in 3rd place playing out of your skin, or in 2nd with plenty of room for improvement?

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Which also begs the question... would you rather be in 3rd place playing out of your skin, or in 2nd with plenty of room for improvement?

Haha “playing out of your skin” these lads are just warming up. 

Currnlty 3rd place and a CL semi is decent considering the first half of the season. January’s the turning point and if you think this is as good as it’s going to get then I look forward to discussing football with you next season. 

Edited by BangrakBob
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, RickG16 said:

And yet you don't seem happy mate.  Very defensive you are, bit like your manager!!:shock1:

As you keep reminding us all, you are second.  Spurs have lost some momentum this past two weeks and United continue to grind, and grind away so i'll make you slight favorites on saturday.  

Edited by carmine

My internet/power got knocked out for 2 days with the CM storms and catching up I took interest in the team Jose selected for Bouremouth (about to watch a replay) Following my last post about "whats wrong with playing with power and pace? " instead of tippy- tappy sideways and backwards passing.

Judging by the written match reports Jose reads this forum. The overrated, waste of money, Pogba apparently was Sky's MOM.Herrrara not far behind him

One obvious problem for next season ,  is that Valencia and Young just dont have the legs anymore to get down the flanks and beat the FB's. They do the predictable in Valencia's case guiding the ball back inside instead of those crosses that Rooney and co used to feed on

Young is becoming a one trick pony, go down the left ,prop,goagain,prop, come back inside float a cross over with his right foot which defenders will clear 99% of the time.

When United have 2 FB's with genuine  pace you will hopefully see a different style of football.

Still second place,at the moment, is not that shabby.

Whatever happened to the  "Man United in Decline" thread that had some salivating ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Whatever happened to the  "Man United in Decline" thread that had some salivating ?

ha ha, that's a bit like the weather forecaster saying it is wet and cold then walking out the front door and it's hot and sunny

Like you said - 2nd is not too shabby

Chelsey had last season in the bag and IMO were more impressive than MC this season - who will be next

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

ha ha, that's a bit like the weather forecaster saying it is wet and cold then walking out the front door and it's hot and sunny

Chelsey had last season in the bag and IMO were more impressive than MC this season - who will be next

Laughable quote of the day.:thumbsup: Not to say Chelsea weren't impressive last season, but c'mon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

You think Chelsea were more impressive than City.  I you aware that Chelsea didn't have to bother about european football!! They had a huge advantage compared to City this season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, petermik said:

Funny that you should mention these two clubs whose admirers on here are quite happy to "knock" United whatever we do....one of them has NEVER won a Prem title and the other lot must look back into the 1960,s for their last title win....last season we picked up two trophies which is the sum total the two mentioned combined have picked up in the last 11 years.....and we are sh*te?   :whistling:

LMAO   too funny :cheesy::cheesy:

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

One obvious problem for next season ,  is that Valencia and Young just dont have the legs anymore to get down the flanks and beat the FB's. They do the predictable in Valencia's case guiding the ball back inside instead of those crosses that Rooney and co used to feed on

Young is becoming a one trick pony, go down the left ,prop,goagain,prop, come back inside float a cross over with his right foot which defenders will clear 99% of the time.

Definately looks like we will need some new full backs, especially if Darmian and Blind go in the summer as expected. And agree on Young and Valencia. Valencia has been outstanding over the past 2 years but it looks like he is finally slowing down. Can't blame him really as he has been running things on the right flank on his own at times. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Definately looks like we will need some new full backs, especially if Darmian and Blind go in the summer as expected. And agree on Young and Valencia. Valencia has been outstanding over the past 2 years but it looks like he is finally slowing down. Can't blame him really as he has been running things on the right flank on his own at times. 

I would like to see Luke Shaw get a run on the left and perhaps keep Ashley Young, who although plays well from time to time does have some defensive shortcomings position wise, as a rotational option.

Agree with you on Valencia, and IMO he has done his dash and has run out of ideas when he gets forward, however no disputing his loyalty and commitment, not to mention his past good form.

I think a clear out is needed and although I mentioned earlier that Young could be an option to keep, it's also possible he could be let go and perhaps bring in one of the Academy boys/youngsters.

Looking at the back line I'm not sure where Rojo fits in now, and although I think that the centre back position is his better position (rather than full back) there is a surplus there. Also he has had long-term injuries and one has to wonder if keeping him is just adding to the doctors bills, rather than getting the best out of him in the future.

Darmian, Fellaini, Jones, Blind, Mata (although I like his ability to make penetrating runs) should almost be certain to be included in a cleanout and I was going to mention Sanchez, because so far I believe he has been a waste of money, especially in the way that Mourinho likes to play him.

Martial displays some great talent from time to time, much the same as Memphis did, but work rate and "heart" seem a little lacking at times, and I don't think the manager sees eye to eye with him often enough, so perhaps another one on the "let go" list.

From what I have seen of Lindelof, I like him, this despite a shaky start, because I believe he has talent and he has good pace and seems to do a good role on man-to-man marking when necessary.

Some people complain about Smalling, however I do believe that he is still one of the best centre backs around in the league and sure like everyone else, he makes the occasional mistake, and the problem being that if you make that mistake just a few metres out from goal, then you are inevitably punished most severely.

It would be good to see a clear out, not only for the sake of the club, but also for the sake of those players who really do want consistent first-team places........ time will tell.

40 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Looking at the back line I'm not sure where Rojo fits in now, and although I think that the centre back position is his better position (rather than full back) there is a surplus there. Also he has had long-term injuries and one has to wonder if keeping him is just adding to the doctors bills, rather than getting the best out of him in the future.

Yeah I don't know what's happened to Rojo... can only assume that it's fitness related. When everyone is fit + on form I think him and Bailly are the best two centre backs. But like you say, although Smalling has a mistake in him he's done pretty well. I also like the idea of at least one English CB.

I'd agree with most of those you have earmarked for a clear out - if Mata is happy to stay as a squad player I can't see the harm.

Only thing I would take issue with is Shaw having a better positional sense. It's amazing for a converted winger, but I think Young is actually better defensively / tactically. But crucially, I think he is at the stage in his career where he has no nerves at all, which is what you need in that position. Shaw can look nervy, but in fairness to him that's probably down to not playing / the Mourinho comments. Sure that Shaw will play more next season if he stays. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Yeah I don't know what's happened to Rojo... can only assume that it's fitness related. When everyone is fit + on form I think him and Bailly are the best two centre backs. But like you say, although Smalling has a mistake in him he's done pretty well. I also like the idea of at least one English CB.

I'd agree with most of those you have earmarked for a clear out - if Mata is happy to stay as a squad player I can't see the harm.

Only thing I would take issue with is Shaw having a better positional sense. It's amazing for a converted winger, but I think Young is actually better defensively / tactically. But crucially, I think he is at the stage in his career where he has no nerves at all, which is what you need in that position. Shaw can look nervy, but in fairness to him that's probably down to not playing / the Mourinho comments. Sure that Shaw will play more next season if he stays. 

Can't argue with anything you said, because we are on the same page, give or take a point or two, but that's irrelevant in a discussion like this I believe.

I can agree that there have been times when Shaw's positional sense has been in question, no doubt about that, but I wonder if that's because of his lack of playing time and I would have to say that I have seen Young in similar circumstances, and none more so than when he made that "dubious" tackle on Aguero in the MC game, and the reason he had to make it was because he was drawn out of position, and that has happened on quite a few occasions, however in his favour is the fact that he has recovered well on quite a few occasions.

I like Mata, as I have said, and it would be great if he could be a squad player, and maybe that would be good for him and United because he is getting on a little (in relative terms) and he would still get to play and add something to the team.

I did say I liked Lindelof and would love to see him play more to be able to get a better understanding with those around him, which, in fairness to him, he has been unable to do so far, although I do like his style.