Mitsubishi Triton New

There seems to be a relatively NEW Mitsubishi Triton.

4 star safety rating. Top model: VGT GLS Double Cab 5.2 AT for 825 000 THB.

Is it worth the inconvenience of a test drive.

Or should the Triton, in view of the competitors (Mazda, Ford) are hidden.

Has anybody thought about the NEW Triton ...?

Relatively new model means 2011th.

The last day I saw the Triton on the streets, I noticed the car positively.

5 stars are better than 4 stars, but think the stars are awarded with full equipment AIRbag, which is rare in Thailand...

Edited by albhol

I drive an aged Mitsubishi Lancer which is very reliable, when driving it sometimes makes me think of that other famous Mitsu product, the Zero, perhaps that's why my Lancer is inclined to run into stationary objects.

I haven't driven the new one,I have a 4 year old 3.2 Triton, I'm sure it has improved but when I was looking to buy it had the best interior in my view, I had a Vigo before and just didn't like the light beige interior , I found the Trition with black leather looked better. go get a test drive and let us know what you think.

Thought the New Triton pickup was due in 2013 ? Nissan/Mitsubishi

Both will be made on the same platform side by side at Mitsubishi Factories in Laem Chabang Industrial Estate in Chonburi from late 2012.

Pictures on Spy Shot show it is more square cab [present cab is like oval]

Edited by ignis

Thought the New Triton pickup was due in 2013 ? Nissan/Mitsubishi

Both will be made on the same platform side by side at Mitsubishi Factories in Laem Chabang Industrial Estate in Chonburi from late 2012.

Pictures on Spy Shot show it is more square cab [present cab is like oval]

Yes true will be all new for 2013

I have a 2012 and am very happy with mine.

The mitusbishi dealers in my area give test drives

The current model Triton Plus is a good truck but a little dated (like the Hilux and Navara). Still pickups are not really high tech so if you are happy with the curvy styling, smaller cab and do not mind missing some gadgets in the newer upmarket Ford, Mazda, Isuzu or Chev the Triton is worth considering providing the price and delivery is good enough.

The list price of the Triton Plus is already attractive compared to the others excluding Tata. Mitsubishi and Toyota will probably both have a major model change in 2013-14 so the current models resale value will take a knock then. But if you are not in a hurry Mitsubishi may promote discounts more as the new model gets closer like Ford did with the old model Ranger.

Toyota and Mitsubishi made some minor changes late 2011 to reduce impact of competitors new models. I think Mitsubishi mainly added the 5 speed auto to some 2WD Triton and Pajero Sport models and "NEW" to the marketing material. Probably a particle filter as well for Euro IV.

Seems as if my decision has been made in favor of the MAZDA

I asked about these and was told that delivery times for A/T models are up to 6 months. Ford said the same, and added that Wildtrack orders even for the 2.2 model may not be delivered at all, ever. wacko.png

But I found a suitable Triton in stock, and was quickly offered various freebies (sensors, rear camera, bed liner, carpets, tinted glass) and a negotiable discount. I think the car looks silly but I'm tempted anyway as I could die of old age waiting for another brand to deliver.

I asked about these and was told that delivery times for A/T models are up to 6 months. Ford said the same, and added that Wildtrack orders even for the 2.2 model may not be delivered at all, ever. wacko.png

But I found a suitable Triton in stock, and was quickly offered various freebies (sensors, rear camera, bed liner, carpets, tinted glass) and a negotiable discount. I think the car looks silly but I'm tempted anyway as I could die of old age waiting for another brand to deliver.

Mazda A/T 2.2 takes about 2 months.

The triton has 178HP just short of that in the colorado. Perhaps that's another option? Who knows when a 3.2 will be available??? I drove a 2.5 140hp triton manual and it went pretty well, so the new one should be even bette. Agree its not too attractive though!

The triton has 178HP just short of that in the colorado. Perhaps that's another option?

I considered this one also. My local dealer had a few more or less suitable Colorado models available immediately and could get orders in a few weeks, but they seemed to be very lacking in interior equipment compared to the Isuzu which I understand is the same vehicle. Special order Isuzus are also around 2 months delivery according to the local dealer.

The triton has 178HP just short of that in the colorado. Perhaps that's another option?

I considered this one also. My local dealer had a few more or less suitable Colorado models available immediately and could get orders in a few weeks, but they seemed to be very lacking in interior equipment compared to the Isuzu which I understand is the same vehicle. Special order Isuzus are also around 2 months delivery according to the local dealer.

I was waiting for 4 months on my Isuzu when I cancelled the order in favor of a Mazda. That was just on the day I was told: it is being shipped to Phuket now.

And at the moment it, the Mazda i.e., does look like it will be there around 2 months after order.

Edited by stevenl

I've had mine for 3 years and just last weekend I drove to the Northeast of Thailand, covered 1700 km and averaged 7.5l per 100 km, very comfortable truck with good performance and economy.

Your fuel figures are attractive. I was originally very keen on the 2-door Navara which comes well-equipped and is cheap, but the poor fuel consumption put me off.

The in-stock Triton I saw looks the same as yours, but with A/T. Black would not be my first choice (lighter colours are generally cooler) but it's not the end of the world.

The dealers certainly seem to be much more prepared to negotiate with in-stock models.

Mine is the older 3.2 A/T so the new 2.5 should be better on fuel.

I have had the White Pearl 2W drive 4 door plus since October 2011. Manual but driven quite hard from standing and consumption similar to yours. Performance seems more than adequate for a truck and the black leather seats are more comfortable than I expected on a long drive.

I've had mine for 3 years and just last weekend I drove to the Northeast of Thailand, covered 1700 km and averaged 7.5l per 100 km, very comfortable truck with good performance and economy.

Your fuel figures are attractive. I was originally very keen on the 2-door Navara which comes well-equipped and is cheap, but the poor fuel consumption put me off.

The in-stock Triton I saw looks the same as yours, but with A/T. Black would not be my first choice (lighter colours are generally cooler) but it's not the end of the world.

The dealers certainly seem to be much more prepared to negotiate with in-stock models.

Diesel is now below 30 Baht a litre, why worry about fuel consumption!. Isuzu are slowly getting their act together, rows of D Max's in the main dealer Phetchabun city, especially if you want a white one.

ph34r.png

Mazda A/T 2.2 takes about 2 months.

Perhaps someone should tell Mazda Pattaya this? I can only go on what the salesperson says.

Darrel we originally ordered from Pattaya Mitsu but eventually canceled and bought from a BKK dealer - more extras and much, much better service.To be fair my girl friend did the research on forums in Thai.

Doing the rounds of Pattaya dealers was like what I imagine a slow death experience would be.....sad.png .

The owner of a ranger 2.2AT recorded 6.3L/100km on highway driving (15.8km/l). I'm not sure of the driving style but that's pretty good too!

• 4 months later...

Just done the rounds last week for a pickup. Chev have immediate availabiity nice cars bit gutsy, Ford desperate...9 months wait for most pickup models Fiesta 1.5 about same! Mazda BT50 outside looks good inside not my cup of tea at all. Toyota now down to a 1 month wait but apparently this is not quite true and best to expect 3 months

Triton....i've gone for the plus 2.5 AT....the curves are a breath of fresh air, the electric rear view glass nice, instruments all there that you need auto 350 n/mm manual 400 n/mm....class leading power and as eco as the rest...From reading problems most seem to be with ittle things and usual customer service from garages.

Talking to many of my Thai friends, a lot of them simply don't like the styling....kind of love-hate. I think they might have been introduced too early in 2005 for the conversative Thai market. Don't really know.

Anyhow, I always thought they looked really cool and more modern than the competition. So much so I almost bought one 3 years ago. It was a used '06 all souped up with a special fueling box, oversized intercooler and huge turbo. Suffice to say,1st gear was useless. I was in love!!! wub.png haha

The current 178HP 2.5L engine has to be the best one out there. I saw the HP and torque curves and was impressed by how rev-happy the engine seems to be. It must be giving the VGN turbo quite a work-out though.

Enjoy your Mitsu trucks! biggrin.png

Edited by SoCalChris