300000 Baht

Smokemachine

A corner shop / grocery / tuck-shop concession at large-ish school.

These things are virtually fool-proof cash cows.

Or a cheap toy shop next to a school with pre-schoolers. Staggering returns, paid for the glass-fronted display fridge (for all the flavoured milk and fruit juices) within a month. I am going to get the wife to try a simple coffee stand for the frazzled, rushed mums and dads on their way back to the car or motorbike after checking their tyke into classes.

Edited by NanLaew

It always amuses me when travelling on Thailand's highways. You will see no shops or businesses for mile after mile, and then you come across 20 or so roadside stalls huddled together selling exactly the same things at exactly the same prices. Safety in numbers? YES Price fixing? YES

It's latterly been called the '7-eleven' business model.

I think the guy is a newbie who has never lived here ...

Well intentioned comment, however the OP is not only a frequent visitor to the Kingdom but also prolific poster as well.

When I asked him about his experiences once, he confessed to enjoying fishing.

But mostly he just likes strolling along as you can in Thailand ... whistling.gif

Edited by David48

Well intentioned comment, however the OP is not only a frequent visitor to the Kingdom but also prolific poster as well.

But mostly he just likes strolling along as you can in Thailand ... whistling.gif

I get it .. i bet he likes a certain kind of fishing with a boat.

Where is this going to be? In an urban setting with lots of passersby, or out in the middle of nakon nowhere? If it's a busy area with a lot of foot, motorbike, car traffic, then one of those shops that sells everyday household items does well. There's quite a few of them here in Phuket and they all do well. My Mrs has one and does quite a large volume every day. Of course this entails actual work of buying product, stocking shelves, keeping the place clean , keeping decent books etc.

I get it .. i bet he likes a certain kind of fishing with a boat.

The OP does value our thoughts and comments ... and that's why we are here after all.

90 posts and with 30 as the OP, he/she really does like the Forum.

In keeping with the nautical theme …I'm just trying to be the Lighthouse on the rocks.

Having worked hard to earn and save 300K the Thai family will have learned some valuable lessons about earning an income that will help rhem when they set up their business.

If on the other hand they are given 300K without working for it, they will learn the lesson that it is easier to ask for an income than it is to go out and earn it.

Choose your path wisely !!!

300,000 baht's worth of lottery tickets will probably show the best return for your money..

As alternative to giving it to the in-laws, without question you're right.

At least the OP has a chance of seeing some of it back.

Edited by LucidLucifer

If mum has her own house, she (and dad) can live exceptionally well on 3,000bht a month in a village.

If you are feeling a bit cheap, 2,000 would still see her better off than many of her peers.

Invest your 300,000bht in a bank account in your name ....... TMB No Fixed would do, earning 2.25% interest.

Give the family 3,000bht a month, that 300k should last about 10 years, you control it (and them), so no risk to you.

Don't be a dope and hand farmers a cash prize, it will be spent in 6 months.

Best advice I've seen, in effect the OP is providing a pension while keeping watch over the capital.

Assuming the OP is still with his lady when the money runs out it will prove a high level of commitment in the relationship, so topping up the fund in a few years time will be a pleasure to do rather than a burden.

Good plan Tommo!!!

Something relevant to myself, possibly useful for others. Being a cruel and selfish Scottish businessman as I am......I've been known to remove sugar from peoples tea and I'm fighting to repeal legislation that has banned child labour, ( kids are noisy little annoyances, exhaust them doing manual labour and go to the pub with the profitts ).....what I have done is!!

I get my Thai lady to do all of the monotonous brain damage work for me on my internet business. I give her a day rate of 400 baht a day, and a minimum workload that she has to achieve. No work? No pay.

Trust me, the work is done perfect every day. It saves me the brain damage of having to do it, or paying a UK rate. My lady thinks I'm a superstar for paying her so much. Little does she know how cheap she is and how much money she generates.

So I spend my day blethering to my pals in the gang hut we've created in one of my shops, and I occasionaly have to answer the phone or god forbid, serve a customer, ( I've got salesmen in the shop ).

So if you ever wonder how I can spend so much time on TV is because I don't do anything but drink coffee and argue about football all day.

Is this relevant to the OP? A trained monkey can do what my gf does, it's repetitive and monotonous. The OP should look at creating an internet biz using the capital, and pay mom for doing the brain damage work. There are plenty of people selling via ebay etc from Thailand.

As for my gf, I do sometimes feel guilty about getting her to do all the brain damage work so I send her an extra 2000 baht every month cos she's my gf.

So I admit it, I'm an overseas sponsor, I send my lady 2000 baht a month. Is there a Hall of Shame I should be sent to? Or maybe I should be subjected to a flame fest!! I haven't been flamed since about, ehm, yesterday.

I'll have a coffee and a biscuit while you think about it. All my pals are coming in now so we can have a big argument about Rangers going into liquidation.

I love being a cruel and selfish Scottish businessman.

Oh, oh, I forgot to mention, I transfer the monthly payment from my business account so that makes it tax deductable, and when I fly into Thailand it's a business expense as I'm going to visit my Thai internet administration provider.

Cunning, very cunning huh?

Edited by theblether
  • Like 1

1. Buy a tractor, forget the rice, and watercress instead, wash it and sell it to Villa Market and Tops.
  2. Depending upon location, build slum rooms and rent them out
  3. lease the farm to someone; then you only need to dish out 200k

I think you are on a hiding to nothing though - are you sure this is not just a ruse by the family for you to up the monthly contribution so she can pretend to put her feet up (and keeps on farming).

Edited by Pseudolus

Several times I heard them, while eating "mai arroi". So good food might also sell good.

I'd say 75% of the time my wife and I try food from an unknown place we never go back a second time.

25 % good....better than I expected....

Several times I heard them, while eating "mai arroi". So good food might also sell good.

I'd say 75% of the time my wife and I try food from an unknown place we never go back a second time.

25 % good....better than I expected....

Being fair, more like 15% acceptable, 10% good.

Many funny comments here, but the reality is if you are not here to oversee any business it will go to the wall. Even Thais who put their own money in to things lose it as they have very little work ethic and no planning [ that's not big players ] Had an aunt come up from BKK wanted to start a duck farm on our land. Spent big on building and 600 ducklings, no though about food etc and the amount of work involved. I now have 10 ducks. 3 geese and a new shed to house them. It all sounds good at the start, but when the daily grind of taking care of things sets in the plan falls apart.

Seen guys buy tractors for the family to hire out, tractor sits rusting or they sell it and rent it back when the farang come to visit. You can't win from another country. Jim

i have a freind in pattaya who bought his gf a food cart for 1500bht spent another thousand on it to make it "roadworthy" his gf parks it outside a 7/11 and works with a friend selling khanom krok a thai dessert she starts work at 6am finishes at 1pm,her friend and her make 300bht a day each and both are happy,if business goes tits up my friend has only lost 2500bht

Many funny comments here, but the reality is if you are not here to oversee any business it will go to the wall. Even Thais who put their own money in to things lose it as they have very little work ethic and no planning [ that's not big players ] Had an aunt come up from BKK wanted to start a duck farm on our land. Spent big on building and 600 ducklings, no though about food etc and the amount of work involved. I now have 10 ducks. 3 geese and a new shed to house them. It all sounds good at the start, but when the daily grind of taking care of things sets in the plan falls apart.

Seen guys buy tractors for the family to hire out, tractor sits rusting or they sell it and rent it back when the farang come to visit. You can't win from another country. Jim

I believe every word that you have written and its hilarious. I've got a mental picture of you being surrounded by 600 ravenous ducklings saying to yourself <deleted>???

That tractor idea is hysterical too, truly TiT.

i have a freind in pattaya who bought his gf a food cart for 1500bht spent another thousand on it to make it "roadworthy" his gf parks it outside a 7/11 and works with a friend selling khanom krok a thai dessert she starts work at 6am finishes at 1pm,her friend and her make 300bht a day each and both are happy,if business goes tits up my friend has only lost 2500bht

You've hit on an idea there, go buy and renovate 10 food carts at 2500 baht each and rent them out at 200 baht a week.

13 weeks rental covers your money and the carts would be a dripping roast till they fall apart.

You're a genius!!

Can somebody answer a question for me as well..... on topic. Why in the world is every business the same here. Let me throw an idea out.... wouldn't a really well done (if you had the skills) taco stand go well in bkk somewhere? good salsa, carne asada, onions cilantro, make the tortillas. Am I right in assuming this just would not even get a single customer? Just odd to me that every single person that cooks, cooks the same exact thing. I guess that is just the way it is?

I believe every word that you have written and its hilarious. I've got a mental picture of you being surrounded by 600 ravenous ducklings saying to yourself <deleted>???

That tractor idea is hysterical too, truly TiT.

Sometimes I just look in total amazement, when the Aunt built the sheds for the ducks, I went down to have a look. Nice sheds, 2 big gates for the ducks at the rivers edge. Said ducks can step out into the river, but how do people get in. No gates at the back. No planning no thought. Jim