Phuket Needs To Clean Up Its Act: Vice Governor Chamroen

webfact

Phuket needs to clean up its act: V/Gov Chamroen

Phuket Gazette

v1.jpeg

Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada gave local officials until June 30 to at least draw up action plans to redress key issues affecting the island. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

v2.jpeg

Flower vendors peddling on the streets of Phuket were on V/G Chamroen's list of blemishes affecting the island’s image. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

PHUKET: -- Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada has given local officials until June 30 to at least draw up action plans to redress key problems affecting the island.

Speaking at a meeting at Phuket Provincial Hall yesterday, V/Gov Chamroen listed several key issues, including trash, roadside billboards, flower vendors at traffic lights and the long tailbacks at Koh Kaew.

Trash

“Main roads are surrounded by trash. This is especially obvious when examining median strips,” V/Gov Chamroen said.

He asked everyone to notify the police if they witnessed anyone throwing trash onto median strips.

“The trash clogs up drainage ditches, which causes the roads to flood during heavy rains,” he pointed out.

The Vice Governor asked that trees and grass along the main roads be better maintained in order to create a better impression for passers-by.

Billboards

Billboards also made the V/Gov's “Phuket cleanup” list.

“Many advertising signs along main roads look unkempt and improperly zoned,” he stated.

Local organizations, including the Phuket Highway Department, were encouraged to check whether or not the billboard owners had been properly taxed.

“If they haven’t paid their taxes, then their signs should be removed."

Before the removal of any signs, owners would be contacted, he said.

Flower sellers

V/G Chamroen also voiced his concern with the impression that roadside garland vendors were making on tourists.

“Garland vendors need to be stopped from working at street intersections. They cause too many problems and negatively affect Phuket’s image,” he said.

He pointed out that one such vendor was struck by a car and killed while selling garlands.

“The police must arrest them for illegal sales,” he added.

Tah Chat Chai Checkpoint

Failure to maintain clean restrooms at the Tah Chat Chai Checkpoint was also raised at the meeting.

“The toilets need to be cleaned. Perhaps inviting a private operator to maintain the toilets in exchange for the right to collect a user fee would fix the problem,” suggested V/G Chamroen, adding that the checkpoint was the first impression tourists have of Phuket when arriving by land.

He used the substandard condition of the restrooms there as an example of why related agencies needed to better coordinate work efforts and not continue in the 'not our job' mindset that allows a wide range of tourism-damaging problems to persist.

“This mentality turns easily accomplished tasks into much more difficult ones,” he said.

Traffic

Traffic congestion caused by the cars illegally parked in the northbound lane of Thepkrasattri Road in Koh Kaew, near the Bang Khu morning market, also made the vice governor's list.

“The Phuket Provincial Police say the left lane [northbound] is always filled with parked cars,” he said.

“People are usually parking their cars in the lane to buy food and other things, but the lane really should be available for moving traffic,” he explained.

V/Gov Chamroen pointed out that police used to issue fines to people who parked their cars illegally in the red-and-white no-parking zones near the Muslim Wittaya Phuket School, on Thepkrasattri Road southbound in Koh Kaew, but the locals were so upset that they held a small protest over the issue.

He suggested that the Muang District chief set up a meeting with the local religious leader in order to help people understand that they shouldn’t park in prohibited areas.

The Vice Governor wrapped up the gathering by announcing that meeting minutes would be sent to the Interior Ministry's Department of Local Administration in Bangkok.

“These issues need to be addressed by the end of June,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16189.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-06-15

>>He asked everyone to notify the police if they witnessed anyone throwing trash onto median strips.

I see it all the time. Now when I call the police they're going to come in a hurry and arrest these offenders while abandoning their license/helmet/tea money collecting stations?

I also agree about the double parking and parking in the slow lane, but once again the police can't be bothered with this as we all know.

I don't see a problem with flower sellers at red lights.

How about addressing ( or at least paying lip service) to the ongoing problems of tuk tuks, jetskis, etc.

I have to agree with you. I don't have a problem with garland sellers, taxis and tuk tuks are and have been an ongoing problem for tourists for many years and the vice governor talks about dirty toilets at the check point and flower sellers as being a major problem. How much more out of touch with reality can these government officials be?

The issues he has are primarily cosmetic. As we well know appearances are the primary concern in this society. The transport problems are of course far and away the biggest problem but won't likely be properly addressed any time soon, if ever, as the various transport mafias (and the politicians they kickback to) are making far too much money with the current system. It's the Thai way and it's here to stay.

• Like 1

How about addressing ( or at least paying lip service) to the ongoing problems of tuk tuks, jetskis, etc.

I don't believe the word 'ongoing' is an accurate one. When was the last incident by either of those groups and how many thousands of people have used them both without issues since?

Over the years the major incidents of both parties are still far and few between compared to the happy customers. This doesn't condone the times when it does happen of course but a bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss.

Ok let's make it like Singapore

Arrest the flower vendors all over Thailand - that should do the trick. In order to accomplish this task, empty the slammers of all those rapists, murderers, cheaters and drug dealers first ......... oh, how stupid of me, the latter are roaming the streets already. They were kind enough though to change their nationalities as Thais are clean as a whistle - birthright, remember?

I don't believe the word 'ongoing' is an accurate one. When was the last incident by either of those groups and how many thousands of people have used them both without issues since?

Over the years the major incidents of both parties are still far and few between compared to the happy customers. This doesn't condone the times when it does happen of course but a bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss.

Are you on glue back in England? Every day there are major problems with tuk tuk drivers, it just doesn't make the news. Stand in front of any tuk tuk rank for 30 minutes and you'll have first hand knowledge.

• Like 1

Yes, he mentioned only cosmetic, and not systemic problems. So very typical of the Thai mindset. Introspection, and self analysis is just not their strong suit. It leads to countless problems, and is the primary reason why I predict Thailand will fall much further that it has. Just in the past 5 years Thailand has dropped from #21 in the world, to #25, according to the CIA GDP list, which is quite accurate.I estimate they will fall to #45 or #50 in our lifetime, unless they "man up", and start looking at themselves with critical eyes. The whole concept of face means nothing but "I do not want to do any self improvement, and therefore do not want to examine myself or my country on any level". That is the way I see it. Why did this lunatic not mention the taxis, the tuk-tuks, or the jet ski operator insects? How many complaints do we hear about those insects disguised are men?

Problems: too many politicians speaking cliches. I say leave it all alone. I like Thailand just the way it is. I don't want it to be like Australia, clean, neat and sanitised. Revel in the dirt and dust, the problems and annoyances!

Hey politicians: IF you want to do something to clean up Phuket: put some money into a few garbage cans at the beaches, local markets, parks, piers etc.

Hey, even splatter your good name all over them. Might even get you a few votes.

I doubt removing the flower vendors will get you many.

Go to the schools and teach the kids about using these trash cans. Their parents aren't getting it done. How else are they to learn?

While your at it, create a sign and explain to Thai's what they are supposed to do at a traffic circle. In case you haven't noticed, they don't know.

Education is the key. Not getting rid of the flowers. Jeez!

• Like 1

I was there with my wife and daughter when my daughter was 5 years old for her birthday. I vowed then never to go back, and we have not. Now my daughter is 18 and the problems are the same now as they were then. I would say that ongoing is exactly the word to use. By the way, when asked by her boyfriend if my daughter wanted to go to Phuket with his family, she declined. They all went to Chaing Mai by train instead, and had a great time

Are you on glue back in England? Every day there are major problems with tuk tuk drivers, it just doesn't make the news. Stand in front of any tuk tuk rank for 30 minutes and you'll have first hand knowledge.

I love the way you feel the need to mention I'm in England as if it makes the slightest difference to my knowledge or experience. How child like can you get.

"Every day there are problems with tuk tuk drivers" Complete B/S. When was the last time you stood in front of a tuk tuk rank for 30 mins?

I would estimate that far less than 1% of tourists have any problems with tuk tuk's, that rises to about 25% for expats and about 90% for ThaiVisa members smile.png

Problems: too many politicians speaking cliches. I say leave it all alone. I like Thailand just the way it is. I don't want it to be like Australia, clean, neat and sanitised. Revel in the dirt and dust, the problems and annoyances!

Not sure about the revel in the dirt bit but pretty much agree.

Lots of things get done behind the scenes, things do change and improve but as and when the Thais want them to. I like you, am completely happy with the way things are, if they improve then that's good, if they don't, so what.

Edited by HongKongPhooey

How pathetic; of all the real problems he could have chosen. He should be replaced with a person willing to make a difference, not make things up in an effort to appear he is actually doing something beneficial.

He says flower vendors "negatively affect Phuket’s image". Where did he pull this nonsense from. Every tourist myself included are charmed by the flower sellers. As I understand it is a spiritual/ religious belief for good luck, why on earth would you take easy access to this beautiful custom away? Phuket would actually suffer for having them removed.

I love the way you feel the need to mention I'm in England as if it makes the slightest difference to my knowledge or experience. How child like can you get.

"Every day there are problems with tuk tuk drivers" Complete B/S. When was the last time you stood in front of a tuk tuk rank for 30 mins?

I would estimate that far less than 1% of tourists have any problems with tuk tuk's, that rises to about 25% for expats and about 90% for ThaiVisa members smile.png

Don't worry, seeing as you are in England, you aren't here on a daily basis and your glasses seem to be a heavily shaded rose colour, your numbers are a complete figment of your imagination. Why not fly down to Phuket and stand in front of a tuk tuk rank in Patong, Karon or Kata and you tell us what the percentage of customers are not happy with the hostile drivers. Cheers! Now,about those pesky flower sellers...............

Edited by LivinginKata
inflammatory comment removed

Don't worry, seeing as you are in England, you aren't here on a daily basis and your glasses seem to be a heavily shaded rose colour,

I have always been 100% open and honest about when I am and am not in Phuket and how I always spend time in the UK every year.

I've never once pretended to be more experienced or knowledgeable about Phuket than I am and have never mislead anyone about the amount of time I've spent there over the last 12 years. What part of the world I'm currently in obviously has no bearing on my understanding and interpretation of issues such as these.

It is you who has issues with my location not me, and highlights clearly how week your argument must be to constantly raise it as a relevant point and how unfortunate it is that you get some pleasure by thinking you are ridiculing me in the process.

Yes, he mentioned only cosmetic, and not systemic problems. So very typical of the Thai mindset. Introspection, and self analysis is just not their strong suit. It leads to countless problems, and is the primary reason why I predict Thailand will fall much further that it has. Just in the past 5 years Thailand has dropped from #21 in the world, to #25, according to the CIA GDP list, which is quite accurate.I estimate they will fall to #45 or #50 in our lifetime, unless they "man up", and start looking at themselves with critical eyes. The whole concept of face means nothing but "I do not want to do any self improvement, and therefore do not want to examine myself or my country on any level". That is the way I see it. Why did this lunatic not mention the taxis, the tuk-tuks, or the jet ski operator insects? How many complaints do we hear about those insects disguised are men?

Oh you know if he list up anything more than the mentioned cosmetic fix he will be transfered out of here, pronto!