Where To Live?

amlek

Anybody have any recommendations for which areas to live in Bangkok for a couple moving from The Islands to the Big City?

Need to be close to highway links for travel around the country & don't want to be right in the thick of it - so we would much appreciate your opinions on "quieter" neighbourhoods.

Also, any suggestions for good house rental agents or would we be better trying to find something privately?

Many thanks.

I'll vote with Strong View. I live in the Soi Aree area. I'm 5-7 min to the express way by car. 5 min moto taxi to BTS (many places you could walk), very quiet - maybe too much for many people, enough good places to eat. Also lived in Saphan Khawi and that is good - more people, not as upscale as Aree but OK if you're in the right place.

Satorn between Chong Nonsi to Saphan Taksin Sky Train station. Nice condos - and if you live above the 10th floor you will have nice views and breezes in the evening. I think this is especially important if you coming from the islands as the air is fresher on this side versus living near Sukhumvit where the condos are very close together.

Just my opinion as I have lived both and am much happier on this side.

Regarding Soi Aree, I have freinds who live in this neighborhood and love it. Seems like a "real" neighborhood with great walkable restaurants and such and even a villa market nearby.