Retail Service In Thailand

I'm in Bangkok assisting my friend with his guitar retail store. We're also distributors for several brands so we're really retail- distributors? The concept is unorthodox to me. In the states, distributors mainly sell to retailers/dealers and don't sell direct to the public. Anyway, I'm on vacation at the moment so I've been going through all the malls and browsing and buying things for my stay here. I've shopped at various outlets ranging from low to high-end, MBK to Emporium.

In regards to retail, I noticed that I get the same creepy service everywhere. I really don't like the salesperson following me around thinking that I may steal something or that I need his/her immediate attention. I understand that some shoppers may want the attention and feel like they are special, but that should be reserved for the high-end stores. Even then, don't bother me until I call you. I am actually discouraged from going into stores because I don't want the attention that they give, be it for good or bad.

Retailing is a new industry for me. I used to run a small telecommunications service company so we didn't sell product via a storefront. Regardless, I look at it from a customer's point of view and it's just appalling what is happening to potential buyers. Maybe I'll get used to it one day but I really want to know what thai people are thinking when they go shopping.

As I mentioned, we have a guitar shop, and I have been observing our staff. It's the same thing. Someone comes in, they do a sawat dee krap greeting and then they stand in silence behind the customer but always keeping at attention and within sight. We sell high-end products so it's understandable that customers are pampered but I don't want the employees to be intrusive. Personally, I prefer a cheery hello, "How can I help you? If there is anything you need, let me know," then salesperson disappears to a non-intrusive, but accessible, location. With regards to the thailand market, should I attempt to change my employees' approach or should I leave it be and risk alienating customers like myself?

Your thoughts are very much appreciated. I am new to Thailand.

Shawn

I agree with your concerns, as a westerner im used to being left to my own judgement when purchasing,

unless i need assistance, then i will ask for it, this way you feel comfortable in entering a retail store to make a purchase.

In some stores the sales persons can actually prevent me from making a purchase here in Thailand due to their behaviour.

What you are failing to consider is the other possibility, that you are risking alienating everyone except people like you. Since your not Thai nor do you have any experience you would be best served by hiring a competant manager and following his or her advice about what most Thai people are looking for in every reguard not just service.

Probabbly the biggest mistake you could make is thinking people Half way around the world with a different culture are looking for the same things you are. Thinking good service should be reserved for places better than yours is not the correct attitude my friend.

Why would you think everyone is doing the same thing , but they are all doing it wrong and making all the Thai people angry ? Does that really make sense ? What makes sence is You are not Thai and you don't like it. Unless you plan on being your best customer ..... let the Thai's behave like Thai's and let them teach YOU not the other way around.

Edited by MrRealDeal
  • Like 1

You're just reiterating what I have already found out. I'm asking for insight into why they do this, not "they just do it so you do it too." As I said, I'll get used to it one day but maybe there is room for improvement right now without me having to spend the rest of my life just studying their psyche.

Shawn

I don't know why ....... I also don't know why they don't pull over for an ambulance or why they believe in a God that floated down on a white elephant , but rather than spending the rest of my life trying to figure it out I just accept it and hope i never need an ambulance during rush hour !

Sorry I couldn't be of much more help but my overall point was not to even try and figure it out because imo it's a waste of time and you will probabbly never really know.

You're just reiterating what I have already found out. I'm asking for insight into why they do this, not "they just do it so you do it too." As I said, I'll get used to it one day but maybe there is room for improvement right now without me having to spend the rest of my life just studying their psyche.

Shawn

Edited by hedonist44

You'll be asking next why they speak a different language, your in a different country with different culture, attitudes and mind-set, why do you feel they should explain themselves.Get used to it and there will be lots more along the way that you'll have to accept and adjust to or leave.

Don't become another "whingeing ferang" banging on about what its like back home and asking why its so different here.

Thai people and the culture here is totally different and can at times feel wierd to westerners but that's also part of the charm, the fact that it is different is what makes so many stay here.

• Like 1

Why not ask your friend to talk with customers visiting his shop on their customer service experience, away from staff as they may take offence; adjust accordingly. Might be a few challenges as many Thai's do not like to critic, but at least a starting point. If there is a demand from foreign buyers employ someone who you can train to focus on their specific customer service needs and of course can communicate.

A common issue in Thailand is that staff have very little product training, but as the business is niche I assume this is not the case.

Edited by simple1

Most of my Thai friends, my Thai GF and I are annoyed by this well. However not all retail stores are like that.

I have noticed at places like Powerbuy and PowerMall ect., will let you browse and look at TVs but yet observe from a distant, and if will approach if you look like you need help.

The one place I hate going to is HomePro, the moment you walk in 5 sales people swarm you trying to get you look at water heaters, they will then follow you around until they realize you are not interested.

Like sotsira, they actually make me not want to buy from Homepro because of it.

Edited by arkom
  • Like 1

What I love is the stupid ugly dumb girls at the Male underwear sections of Central or the Mall Dept stores. "Mister what you want?" "Hello Sir". Oh pleeze, i prefer to be left alone when I am browsing fo my undies. Sombody at Central and the Mall really needs to wake up.

Most of my Thai friends, my Thai GF and I are annoyed by this well. However not all retail stores are like that.

I have noticed at places like Powerbuy and PowerMall ect., will let you browse and look at TVs but yet observe from a distant, and if will approach if you look like you need help.

The one place I hate going to is HomePro, the moment you walk in 5 sales people swarm you trying to get you look at water heaters, they will then follow you around until they realize you are not interested.

I got so sick of this one time,walking around like the Pied Piper of Home Pro, that I asked one of the sales assistants to put 3 of the most expensive water heaters in my trolley, along with 2 32" LED tv's. I told him to watch the trolley as I wanted to get some paint. I then just buggered off outside and drove home.

Thailand retail stores need to wake up farangs do not like people standing over them when they are looking at goods,Homepro yes they drive me crazy now i go to home hub, only come to you when you look at them , some one in management got his/her screwed on properly good service no pressure

It seems to be the standard operating procedure in Thailand. Even in restaurants, they don't give you any time to look over the menu after seating you. In stores, I have even said "I'm just browsing right now", but they don't go away. I don't like it and feel uncomfortable, but it's just another thing I have to get used to.

I got so sick of this one time,walking around like the Pied Piper of Home Pro, that I asked one of the sales assistants to put 3 of the most expensive water heaters in my trolley, along with 2 32" LED tv's. I told him to watch the trolley as I wanted to get some paint. I then just buggered off outside and drove home.

Haha, love it. Gonna have to do that next time I go.

I had the intention of buying a fridge from them as it has the best deal at the time. They were so pushy for me to buy a certain brand just to get a free water heater, I walked away.

I suspect that the behavior you describe (yes, I too find it annoying, even after 8 years here!), is to mark a new customer as their "catch" and get credit if an actual purchase is made. I think in many retail stores, the clerks are rated or even paid on the basis of how many sales are logged under their name.

What bugs me even more than the clinginess though, is the fact that 90% of the time, when you turn around and ask your little shadow a question, they have absolutely no knowledge about the product you are looking at.

I always find it amusing to see the panic in their faces as they try to quickly get some information off the package, (which I have of course already scanned by this time) and then call over a buddy, who usually also hads no clue. Mostly by this point I leave them to themselves and extract myself from the little commotion of clueless employees.

I had the intention of buying a fridge from them as it has the best deal at the time. They were so pushy for me to buy a certain brand just to get a free water heater, I walked away.

Dont assume all the staff in Home Pro work for Home Pro.

Many of these stores lease floor space to the various manufacturers.

So it may well be the staff who were pushing you to buy product X were actually employed by product X instead of being employed by product Y.

To the OP a possible interim suggestion to consider - as it seems most westerners (who responded anyhow) do not like this why not train the staff to not act that way with them but to continue their time honoured approach with Thais - or would that be too confusing for the staff........whistling.gif

Dont assume all the staff in Home Pro work for Home Pro.

Many of these stores lease floor space to the various manufacturers.

So it may well be the staff who were pushing you to buy product X were actually employed by product X instead of being employed by product Y.

i was in homepro and the lady told me i should buy Jotun paint as this was the best etc etc....... so i bought some....

i used all the paint, and so went back to homepro to get some more...... a different lady then told me Juton was no good, and i should buy Dulux !!

it turned out one lady was working for homepro / juton, while the other worked homepro / dulux

if they are going to follow you so closely in the store, then the least you expect is releiable, truthful information.....

Has anyone noticed that loud music isn't as good as it was when you were a kid?

The further in age I get away from the folks I deal with, the less I understand the way they are and the way they behave.

When I was a kid, the obnoxious behavior of the kids serving me burgers, fries, pizza, hardware, groceries, and... and...and...seemed perfectly fine. Today, it seems rude and lazy. I just don't get it.

Personally, I blame it on television, but it may be that interweb thing, too.

I'm not sure about the music but I do find 40 year old women to be a lot more attractive than I did when I was 20 !

Touche.

Sorry I couldn't get the accent mark right. Sounds like "too shay".

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Thailand retail stores need to wake up farangs do not like people standing over them when they are looking at goods,Homepro yes they drive me crazy now i go to home hub, only come to you when you look at them , some one in management got his/her screwed on properly good service no pressure

I wonder what minuscule proportion of their customers do farang make up?

• Like 1

i was in homepro and the lady told me i should buy Jotun paint as this was the best etc etc....... so i bought some....

i used all the paint, and so went back to homepro to get some more...... a different lady then told me Juton was no good, and i should buy Dulux !!

it turned out one lady was working for homepro / juton, while the other worked homepro / dulux

if they are going to follow you so closely in the store, then the least you expect is releiable, truthful information.....

Why do you expect reliable truthful information from someone whose income relies on selling you stuff that their employer makes?

Why do you expect reliable truthful information from someone whose income relies on selling you stuff that their employer makes?

i suppose i shouldnt...... but it kind of undermines the whole purpose of customer service, if all i am being told is twaddle.....