Health Insurance

travlling

I am looking for the best way to have health insurance during my transition from active duty military (USA) to my transition of moving to Thailand. Here is my scenario>

Specifically, I plan to be in Thailand next Jan 2007 until May 2007 then returning to the states. I will spend the summer here in the states and then return to Thailand in either August or September 2007 for at least a year+++++

What advice could you give me regarding health insurance coverage while I am there, considering that I will be staying mainly in Korat and travelling around here and there?

I will still be on active duty until 31 March 2007 and will need coverage both there and here. If you have any insight, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for any help

Travlling

Blue Cross BUPA as suggested or Royal & Sun Alliance.

Both have good offerings related to Thailand, but will be difficult for the year you spend back in the US.

Try the GoodHealth logon on the side of the forum page for a quote.

What options do you have from your service? You need to check them (if any) out first (which those of us without military retirement would not know about).

As life in unpredictable I would be slow to give up something that would mean forever in the event my circumstances change. As a civilian I had to make the decision to keep insurance or not and chose to do so (even though it was more expensive than local Thai insurance would have been) because to the possibility of needing at a later date and the fact that government picks up the majority of the fee. So you need to check all your options and then carefully consider.

Will you be retired from the military. If so, you can get free insurance in Thailand.

Barry

I will be retired from the Military, and I can still receive tri-care health insurance, but not sure if many Thai doctors/hospitals accept tri-care. I will only be here in the US from late May 2007- Late August 2007 and then return to Thailand to live. Barry> how can I get free insurance?

travlling

Will you be retired from the military. If so, you can get free insurance in Thailand.

Barry

What is "free insurance"?

While the advertisers are quoting 600US$ per month payments, is someone getting it for free?

Or is it access to the Thai general 30 baht insurance noone unless in the dolldrums would want to relie on?

I am looking for the best way to have health insurance during my transition from active duty military (USA) to my transition of moving to Thailand. Here is my scenario>

Specifically, I plan to be in Thailand next Jan 2007 until May 2007 then returning to the states. I will spend the summer here in the states and then return to Thailand in either August or September 2007 for at least a year+++++

What advice could you give me regarding health insurance coverage while I am there, considering that I will be staying mainly in Korat and travelling around here and there?

I will still be on active duty until 31 March 2007 and will need coverage both there and here. If you have any insight, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for any help

Travlling

I am also travelling to and from LOS adn have a contract with Thai Health Insurance.

They have several plans but sone that will cover you worldwide as long as your trip does not exceed 90 days out of Thailand.

If you want to be able to face the real high cost of medical bills in the USA you might need to look for a more generous plans but I found it to be enough for the countries I travel to and from and the top plan is more than enough to cover even a top hospital stay in Bangkok of needed.

I cannot speak on claim payments as luckily enough I have not used it yet.

The cost of my premium is less than 20.000 baht a year for hopsital cover only, the minimum premium for a worldwide plan.

The link is :

http://www.thaihealth.co.th/index_e.php

Edited by Krub

To all you over 65's :D ...........who do you get your insurance from ?

Reason i ask is, my mother comes over every xmas for 6 weeks but now wants to come over for 9 months at a time (shes 66 this June).............are there any of you in a similar position and who do you use?...............(or do you just hope for the best :o )

Cheers.

:D

Checked the links and sponsors in the above topic but mother fails on age grounds from what i can tell.

Edited by thaiflyer1