England Vs Australia Cricket Odis

7by7

A rain delayed match at Lords ended with victory for England, but it was close.

England's total would have been well below par without Morgan (89 n.o. from 63) and Kieswetter (out last ball, 25 from 29) hitting 72 runs off the last seven overs.

Australia had it until Clarke and Wade found themselves at the same end. Felt sorry for Wade; his call (Yes! No!), but his skipper came anyway and he had to go.

Still may have done it if Lee could have kept more of the strike. Even with 20 needed from 5 balls and then 18 from 3 he was going for it.

One down, four to go.

England are world number one at tests and world champs at t20. Win this series 5-0 and they'll replace Australia as number one at ODIs; the full set.

Probable? No. Possible, though.

Eoin Morgan sets up England win at Lord's

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd naturally love to see us topping the ODI rankings as well as the test and twenty20. When I woke up and checked the score this morning, the next thing I did was to check the ODI rankings to see just how far behind we are.

We're now 7 games undefeated, but I think it will be a tough ask for us to whitewash the Aussies. We can but dream though.

Good luck lads, you do us proud, unlike the fellas that play a certain other national game of ours.

Let's see what happens.

Remaining fixtures:

July 1 2nd ODI, The Oval (10:45 BST)

4 3rd ODI, Edgbaston (d/n) (14:00 BST)

7 4th ODI, Chester-le-Street (10:45 BST)

10 5th ODI, Old Trafford (d/n) (14:00 BST)

Australia, the world’s number one ODI team were beaten at Lord’s, with a rampant Eoin Morgan belting valuable runs at the end of England’s innings.

Australia were rusty.

David Warner admitted to laziness when facing the seaming swing of Jimmy Anderson as he was caught behind, shortly after George Bailey departed.

Michael Clarke and Matthew Wade were involved in a calamitous run-out which ended the promising innings of the wicketkeeper, but Wade had also dropped a relatively easy catch, and they were uncharacteristically sloppy in the field.

Australia’s batting order isn’t yet settled, with captain Clarke looking to use Steve Smith and Wade where they fit best for the team, so there may be some changes.

Australia’s bowling was expensive apart from Clint McKay who managed a 4.30 runs per over economy – the worst of which was Watson, going for 65 off his ten overs with just one wicket – although he did cop the worst of Morgan’s clever hitting.

Australia will need more wickets from what appeared to be an attack lacking real penetration and fire at Lord’s.

Perhaps this was to be expected?

The warm-up tour match against Ireland was cancelled due to rain but there will be few excuses tonight.

Live scoreboard

The Teams ...

England (probable) confirmed

1 Alastair Cook (capt)

2 Ian Bell

3 Jonathan Trott

4 Ravi Bopara

5 Eoin Morgan

6 Craig Kieswetter

7 Tim Bresnan

8 Stuart Broad

9 Graeme Swann

10 James Anderson/Stuart Meaker Jade Dernbach

11 Steve Finn.

Australia (probable) confirmed

1 Shane Watson

2 David Warner

3 George Bailey

4 Michael Clarke

5 David Hussey

6 Steven Smith Forrest to bat @ #3

7 Matthew Wade

8 Brett Lee

9 Clint McKay

10 Pat Cummins Mitchell Johnson

11 Xavier Doherty.

From an Australian perspective ... Cricket Australia today advised that fast-bowler Pat Cummins will take no further part in the Tour of the British Isles, after sustaining a left side-strain during the first ODI against England at Lord’s.

Edited by David48

Shame about Cummins. He looks a real crackerjack. One hopes that these injuries which are plaguing him will disappear as he matures but Bumble pointed out that his action is very similar to Darren Gough's which does't bode well for his back/hip.

Personally think the Aussies have got to forget about being #1 for a few years and concentrate on re-building. Whilst I relish every hammering we (or any other side) give them, Cricket needs a strong Aussie side and is a better sport for it.

I'm going for a 2-1 with the weather taking 2 of them...

Mitchell Johnson is well know to the English fans ... so much so that the Barmy Army have a special song just for him.

He bowls down the left

He bowls down the right

That man Mitchell Johnson

His bowlin is sh*te !

With Australia bowling first, this means that Johnson won't be bowling till after the lunch break and I am sure the vocal English crowd's voice boxes will be well lubricated by then ... drunk.gif

Edited by David48

I love that clip...but there'll be a good Aussie support at the Oval which is traditionally their "home" ground in England...

It's fizzing around a fair bit with Finn bowling in the high 80s/ow 90s and Warner not understanding the basics of batting i.e. footwork....

With Australia bowling first................

Er, they're batting!

Expect a few rain breaks. There's been one already and I live about 20 miles from the Oval and the rain we've just had here is heading that way.ermm.gif

* sigh *

Congrats to the Poms on their second victory ... well played ... thumbsup.gif

The target of 252 set by Australia for an English victory was lightweight and never put any real pressure on the run chase.

With Australia bowling first................

Er, they're batting!

Expect a few rain breaks. There's been one already and I live about 20 miles from the Oval and the rain we've just had here is heading that way.ermm.gif

Yes 7by7 ... my bad ... goof.gif

Win this series 5-0 and they'll replace Australia as number one at ODIs

cheesy.gif

(sorry 7by7 giggle.gif )

Someone might end up with egg on their facewink.png

I hope not though.

Regardless of ratings, I think Oz are a pretty poor team

in all formats.

Regards

Will

Edited by Will27

The target of 252 set by Australia for an English victory was lightweight and never put any real pressure on the run chase.

Indeed, the Aussies got bogged down in the middle of the innings, scoring only 24 from 10 overs, and came up at least 20 to 30 runs short.

Not wanting to sound like Boycott, but why oh why can't the Aussies even do the basics right?

All their batsmen got out to sloppy shots. Warner has come to England with a big reputation but me mum has better footwork than he does. It's one thing playing "stand and deliver" cricket, but the Aussie batting (Bailey asides - he played magnificently) was dismal.

As for the bowling, well there's only so much time left for Brett Lee, and as for the rest..well if Clint McKay is International standard then I'm a fish...

Just a heads up that the 3rd ODI will be a day-nighter played at Edgbaston.

Over to you guys for teams weather etc ... the deciding State of Origin game is being played tonight and has my full attention.

Well, the rain at Edgbaston has stopped!

Groundstaff mopping up the outfield and umpires will inspect at 2:00pm UK time.

Botham wandering around the ground on TV, water coming up when he walks on the bowlers run ups; reckons at least 2 hours before it's fit for play; if it doesn't rain again!

But, the BBC forecast is for heavy showers during the afternoon and into the evening.

The whitewash may very well be washed out.sad.png

Dastardly plan hatched by the Poms because they are 2 - Nil up in the series.

More likely rain dances by the Aussies!

5 - 0 now can't happen, so they'll hold on to their number one spot.

Hope the weather stays fair for tommorrow and we get a game.

• Like 1

HD ... thanks for that.

Normally we get the pre-amble on the radio, but we have Football (Rugby League) on the radio for a few hours yet.

Do have TV coverage and England won the toss and sent Australia in.

Two maidens to start with whistling.gif ... balls are swinging all over the place.

I suppose that is to do with good bowling technique and the cloud cover.

Halfway through their innings and Australia are only 75 for 4.

Weather and pitch improving so, unless Australia do something amazing in the next 25 overs and/or England totally cock it up, it will be 4 - 0 tonight.

Having said that, England teams have a talent for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!

* sigh * ... anyone with a good recipe for humble pie?

Our batsmen handle the swinging English wickets very poorly.

Mind you it's moving heaps in both directions ... but that also takes talent from the English bowlers.