Buying A Bike?

Hi all, just a quick question.......will be coming over in August for approx 9 months and will be buying a bike........arriving in Bangkok then on to Chiayaphum picking up a ute (not mine) and staying there for a short while,the question is i rock up to a bike shop with a fist full of cash and want to purchase a bike i will have passport/visas etc international licence etc.........but what about this residence (place of stay paper thingy) ??? i shall not be staying to long in the stix and will be driving down to Phuket/Krabi and possibly staying on Samui..........do you have to obtain this paperwork before purchase can commence????........more than likely will be a new bike and probably open a can of worms ie: plates etc your help on this one please........cheers

bikkalad

I needed to show and copy my workpermit to buy my scooter, big bike and car so I guess that's a requirement.

It all depends of where you buy the vehicle. In Pattaya you can get a residence certificate from immigration with a tourist visa and a rental contract for condo/house and that's it.

• Thanks for the info fellas........will be on a tourist visa (triple) but wanted to check out where to stay for a while first..... so will not be commiting to a rental contract straight away so there could be a problem.....was gonna possibly hang around Rawai/Nai harn.............Aonang..........or top of Samui.........decisions decisions..........dont want to rent (longterm) because if the bike/scooter goes walkabout......youve gotta cough up the dough to speak.....bringing hefty lock and disc lock with me........panniers etc

If you are visiting your gf/wife and she owns her own house,(If not, even her mother or father can do this) she can take her house/land documents to the local police station. After signing some papers, they will take your fingerprints etc and give you a paper to use as proof of address.(for free) You can use that to get a licence and buy a bike.

Edited by macknife

yes you need it for purchase to commence, then the book and plates take 3-4-5-6 weeks to arrive at dealer, depends on dealer and if goverment have not run out of plates. Red plate has to be returned to dealer and white plate and book sent to you. You will be driving inter province on a red plate which can cause problems especially at night time, i do beleive you are not supposed to ride a bike at night on red plates if from another province.

Plates and book can be done via post with somebody in the stix or maybe with agreement of dealer. thats what i did but other may say not possible and maybe in some area's it not. Samui you should have no problem with no plates book licence or anything really, but thats Samui not Phuket or the mainland where the BIB are out ta get ya.

so might have to buy a second hand bike/scooter from a legite source then??? thought it would be an open and shut case of purchase??? and ride into the sunset :) what have i let myself in for ??? try and get yourself outa the 9-5 crap of Aussie for a while and red tape/hurdles are upon me again ;)......Such Is Life............will be requiring a bifta hanging outa me mushka after this saga for sure.........