Human Nature And Dodgy Produce

Jingthing

Central Food Hall grocery now has Thai grown "big Florida" (as in not Haas) avocados on sale at 3 for 80 baht. These buggers are HUGE and look clean on the outside. I bought some firm but they went all mushy in one day. It's been YEARS since I bought some of these big type cados so I kind of/sort of forgot how inferior they are. So I opened one up. So watery! I put some on a sandwich. Almost no flavor at all and not even the decadent fatty texture of better varieties. Checking the net I found some recipes for Florida cado guac and that seemed the only hope to add flavor. I tried that and made it almost edible but I still think I'll probably toss most of it.

Anyway, next time I don't care if they're 3 for 5 baht, better to pay 100 baht for one small Haas (or similar) cado that actually tastes delicious.

Oh well ...

Oh, I did think of something that would probably work with low grade cados like that and might be even be good, though I'm not motivated to do it myself.

Avocado MILKSHAKES. Yes, milkshakes.

These are popular in the Philippines and maybe known in Vietnam, etc. as well.

Basically you put the cado meat in a blender with sweetened condensed milk and maybe ice or whatever and blend it up. I've seen this served with tapioca balls as well (bubbles).

The drink would probably be better with good cados but still might be just fine with the Florida types.

Edited by Jingthing