Will Return Flight Date Stop Being Able To Board Plane Or Enter Thailand?

Hi

Does anybody know where I stand in the following situation?

The airline or Thai consulate have not been much help.

I'm flying to Bangkok from UK in 10 days with a return ticket. My return flight is June 2013.

Its my intention to travel around SE Asia until then. I'll be spending a week in Bangkok then

travelling to Vietnam. If I travel without a visa could I be refused entry at Bangkok (or even not be able to fly) given my return

flight date? Would I be better off pre-booking a flight out of Bangkok before I leave Uk and taking proof to the airport? Will it be an issue?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

P.S Even if i did buy a 60 day tourist visa I would have though it would make no odds given my return date?

With a visa it is not an issue. Without a visa airline may require show of exit within the allowed stay of 30 days although Thailand is unlikely to even check or care for most visitors. So having a visa or an onward ticket would be a good idea or be prepared to buy at airport during check-in.

• Like 1

With a visa it is not an issue. Without a visa airline may require show of exit within the allowed stay of 30 days although Thailand is unlikely to even check or care for most visitors. So having a visa or an onward ticket would be a good idea or be prepared to buy at airport during check-in.

Many thanks. Looks like the 3 entry visa is the way to go for me then.

Actually once in the area airlines do not normally prevent boarding without ticket/visa - it is mostly the long haul flights that will be extra careful. So one entry would probably be all you require. There is no issue using land crossings and much local travel is done that way.

At Birmingham i get asked to show visa for proof of the fact i can stay with 1 year open ticket. If i did not have non 0 last time and explain to check in they would not have let me board with a ticket dated 1 year ahead return which i always use. seems to depend on airline this was Emirates, presumably they have to stand the cost of return if refused entry, sure thats the case in the UK

At Birmingham i get asked to show visa for proof of the fact i can stay with 1 year open ticket. If i did not have non 0 last time and explain to check in they would not have let me board with a ticket dated 1 year ahead return which i always use. seems to depend on airline this was Emirates, presumably they have to stand the cost of return if refused entry, sure thats the case in the UK

Yep I had minor problems with Emirates quite a few years ago when I was buying tickets in reverse and hence when travelling from Gatwick I was travelling one way. They didn't want to check me in, and I had to give a written statement of indemnity should Emirates be fined subsequently. As always at Bangkok no one checked or batted an eyelid.

It was with Thai, visa had run out but had a onward ticket anyway so never made any difference to me. Just saying that they do ask for onward travel in the region.

That's my experience too. Like everything connected with international travel, it has got stricter in recent years. When I see the check-in clerk leafing through my passport I know that question is coming because they are not familiar with what a Thai re-entry permit looks like. It seems a bit random but by my estimation it would be about 30% of the time they ask, 70% they don't - and that's for regional flights. On long haul, it's the other way around.

I don't think it has anything to do with which airline you travel on either. Generally the check-in clerks at non home base airports aren't employed by the foreign airline and anyway they all use the same data from TIMATIC.

Actually once in the area airlines do not normally prevent boarding without ticket/visa - it is mostly the long haul flights that will be extra careful. So one entry would probably be all you require. There is no issue using land crossings and much local travel is done that way.

Thanks. Is it true that I'll only be granted a 14 day visa when I come back into Thailand by land from say Cambodia or Laos ? Can i get 60 day tourist visas in these countries Thai consulates before crossing the border? A bit off-topic i know but this is why I was going for a multiple entry visa. Also, do all 3 visas have to be used up within 6 months of the date issued at the consulate? Cheers again !

Yes, when you return to Thailand by land and no visa, you get 15 days to stay (day 1 is day of entry so effectively 2 weeks). Yes, you can get a tourist visa in those countries, although in Cambodia it will take 4 days to get, while in Laos only 2 (apply day 1 and pick-up afternoon day 2).

Yes, you must use all entries within the timeframe the visa is valid. If you don't, you lose any entries not used. Try to see if you can get a triple entry visa with a longer validity from Hull or another honorary consulate.