Rowdy Rally Forces Thaksin To Cancel Meeting In Los Angeles

webfact

Very ironic, that this man has a doctorate in criminal justice. May have helped him to evade the law for so long. If he was even half a man, he would return to Thailand, serve his two years in jail (if that), and return to public life, fully vindicated. No, instead this pussy chooses to live in exile, rather than face the piper. What a wimp. What a lightweight. What a lousy example for the Thai people. What a terrible example for the world to see.

I'm afraid not. Were Thaksin to return he would be incarcerated as the time limit for appeal has expired. Outstanding charges would then be heard against him, and there are quite a few waiting, and others such as bribery of the court hearing the land deal case could also be lodged. Unless he gets a complete amnesty, he faces years of trials, and many more of gaol time. Tough TIT.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting that the world at large is aware of the Thaksin crime syndication yet majority of Thai's can't see it... rolleyes.gif

Well the US authorities seemed to have overlooked it as well as they let him in. I suppose it's possible they made an exception as they see him as the head of the Thai government and they want to remain on good terms with Thailand for various reasons.

I'm not sure why he was let into the UK although the fact he has money would no doubt help. As a Brit it's not something I'm proud about.

Very ironic, that this man has a doctorate in criminal justice. May have helped him to evade the law for so long. If he was even half a man, he would return to Thailand, serve his two years in jail (if that), and return to public life, fully vindicated. No, instead this pussy chooses to live in exile, rather than face the piper. What a wimp. What a lightweight. What a lousy example for the Thai people. What a terrible example for the world to see.

I'm afraid not. Were Thaksin to return he would be incarcerated as the time limit for appeal has expired. Outstanding charges would then be heard against him, and there are quite a few waiting, and others such as bribery of the court hearing the land deal case could also be lodged. Unless he gets a complete amnesty, he faces years of trials, and many more of gaol time. Tough TIT.

Beyond that, he faces the death penalty from his terrorism indictment.

No if he would be a man, he would arrive in Chang Mai Airport, pass the Immigration without arrest, than travel to Bangkok. The police will not arrest him with his brother in law in power. If some confused policeman tries it, than he gets a bloody nose from his body guards and get arrested later.

Than travel to Bangkok and make some jokes about the courts, or even dissolve them. A real man like Fidel Castro would do that (not that I think Fidels politic is that great but at least he isn't a coward).

• Like 1

Beyond that, he faces the death penalty from his terrorism indictment.

Nothing the red shirts can't fix by storming the court.

• Like 1

Since Thaksin was unable to attend his own 200 dollar meal at a famous Thai restaurant in LA, I wonder if he stopped at Mc Donalds for a Happy Meal?

Food wise, having a $200 dinner at a drab greasy-spoon that has $6.95 luncheon specials seems more than a bit over the top.

Or was this a fundraising event for Thaksin?

Edited by Buchholz

Are the yellow shirts now causing problems in the U.S? What next a blockade of the Los Angeles Airport? I bet that if 2,000 Americans conducted themselves the same way in Thailand they would quickly be rounded up, thrown into jail and deported.

Well, some nights on Pattaya's Walking Street ...

In any event, it was probably assumed that this had something to do with the American presidential elections or a new product launch at Apple or a Justin Bieber sighting. I doubt anyone in California outside the Thai community has a clue about Thaksin.

• Like 1

WOW, not only are Americans 'out of the loop' cf file copy Thailands Dirty War of Words, also UNESCAP TAO reports about free elections... Even PM Phibun Songkram had a respite before the return to Thailand only to die an exile in Japan.. The colourful world of Thai politics is again putting on a show, with the prime minister pitted against one of the nation's bad-boys, writes Jason Gagliardi

Sep 24, 2004 s particular thorn lodged in his side for some time yet. And some observers say Mr Thaksin may have met his match this time, because Mr Ekkayuth knows where the campaign finance money trail leads, and where some skeletons are buried.<DIV>The Nation editor Suthichai Yoon wrote of Mr Thaksin's bellicose invitation to his critics to try to topple him: 'Was that the threat of a prime minister under the illusion of supreme confidence or was it the blunder by a desperate leader losing not only his temper, but also his political ground.'<DIV>For his part, Mr Ekkayuth vows: 'I'm going to fight and fight, even though my life is in danger. Thaksin is trying to discredit me because he's a desperate leader falling from power. This is the way dictatorships always end.'<DIV>" /> icon_s_print.gif

Thailand has long been known for its robust and colourful political scene, but in recent times the going has become so strange that even seasoned observers are pinching themselves.

Two weeks ago, self-confessed uber- pimp Chuwit Kamolvisit, who made billions of baht from high-class 'massage' palaces, won 300,000 votes in the election for Bangkok governor. He came a creditable third, on the 'it takes one to know one' ticket, telling voters than only someone with his knowledge of the city's dark underbelly could understand corruption and bring about real change.

Then, just as the Chuwit circus was losing steam, up popped Ekkayuth Anchanbutr, a character who makes Chuwit look like a boy scout, bandying about wads of money and promising to rid Thailand of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

'He's bad, bad, bad,' said the 45-year-old Mr Ekkayuth last week. 'Thaksin is the worst prime minister Thailand has ever had.' Harsh words, especially coming from someone who was once Thailand's most wanted man for allegedly bilking hundreds of Thais of close to one billion baht (HK$188.34 million) in a pyramid investment scam.

Mr Ekkayuth fled Thailand in 1985 after being charged with masterminding the high-profile scheme. The government seized his personal assets and those of his company, Charter Investment. He came back briefly in 1985 to take part in a failed coup against the Prem Tinsulanonda government, then spent 20 years on the run.

He's now executive chairman of London-based Oriental Mart Group, a commodities trading outfit. He's apparently flush with funds again and now that the statute of limitations on the fraud charges against him has run out, he's come back to Thailand and declared himself ready to be a force for political change.

His first bold act was less than successful. Mr Ekkayuth tried to donate one billion baht to the opposition Democratic Party, saying he'd studied how the British Labour Party's spin team helped Tony Blair and that he believed he could help the dowdy Democrats brush up their image.

However, he was told, in no uncertain terms, that his money wasn't wanted. Then, Mr Ekkayuth bobbed up at the Thailand Press Fair, knowing there'd be a captive audience of journalists, and dropped a bombshell.

He claimed that at least 30 politicians from the ruling Thai Rak Thai party had benefited from share speculation, and asked the Stock Exchange of Thailand to launch an investigation into alleged manipulation of Siam City Bank warrants. He said this was the 'tip of the iceberg'.

'I know about lots of dirty linen, and it's time it was aired,' he said. According to Mr Ekkayuth, stock price manipulation was a favoured tactic of an elite coterie of politicians to bolster coffers ahead of February's election.

Financial insiders say Mr Ekkayuth is something of a legend in stock trading circles in Thailand, where he's known as 'Por London'. Mr Ekkayuth admits he got back into Thai stocks two years ago, after studying the market closely from 2001 to 2002.

'The price of some stocks was unnatural,' he recently said in The Nation newspaper. 'You don't have to trace their history back very far. The Thai market is fairly easy to read.'

He said he became adept at 'reading between the lines' when senior government figures made market predictions, or spoke about certain companies or securities. 'I entered the market when the index was about 500, and left when it leapt to 800 at the end of last year. I warned my friends to get out then ahead of the election season, because politicians normally start seeking election funds by dumping their shares, then letting the securities rise for another round of profits.'

Mr Thaksin kept uncharacteristically cool for a few days, even as Mr Ekkayuth bad-mouthed him all over town. Then, he came out swinging, ordering the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO) to probe Mr Ekkayuth's assets and seize any ill-gotten gains.

AMLO deputy secretary-general, Police Colonel Yuthabul Dissaman, said this week that the agency was questioning witnesses in an effort to get to the bottom of Mr Ekkayuth's alleged involvement in the pyramid fund scheme. He said he couldn't reveal any more details of AMLO's actions because the law prohibited such disclosures until a decision to seize a person's assets was made.

On Mr Thaksin's orders, the Central Investigation Bureau also released records of three old criminal cases involving Mr Ekkayuth. In the first case, Mr Ekkayuth was wanted for questioning in 1985 in connection with a bounced cheque for 1.8 million baht. In the second, he failed to report to police for questioning about three bounced cheques totalling more than five million baht. The third case involved the pyramid fund scheme (in which two men were convicted and sentenced to 20 years in jail).

The Securities and Exchange Commission then ordered Mr Ekkayuth to provide evidence to back up his share manipulation allegations, otherwise he would face a jail term or fines. And Mr Thaksin raised the thorny question of whether the statute of limitations could be revoked for certain economic crimes or national security offences.

'I've read police and intelligence reports on one big-headed man who has been involved in fraud all his life and wonder how we can enforce our laws to catch up with him,' Mr Thaksin said. 'In many developed countries there is no statute of limitations when it comes to big cases affecting a lot of people ... It's not right for someone to commit a crime, flee overseas and come back and play hero. I know who's standing behind him. I know them all. This is political.'

Mr Thaksin then issued a challenge to Mr Ekkayuth and his supporters: 'Come on, overthrow my government. By all means, topple me. Otherwise, if you fail, I will beat you up.'

Early last week, Mr Ekkayuth met Securities and Exchange Commission officials. According to its chief, Thirachai Phuvanatnaranubala, the controversial tycoon failed to provide any clear-cut evidence of stock manipulation.

If his bombshell failed to detonate, however, Mr Ekkayuth seemed far from discouraged, and he continued to turn up the heat on the government. He said he'd instructed his lawyers to sue Mr Thaksin and other senior government figures in the International Court of Justice for 'violating his rights'. He also claimed he had evidence that about three billion baht was 'siphoned' from the stock market by political powerbrokers to bolster their war chests, and that he'd reveal details 'if push comes to shove'.

Democrat elder statesman and former premier Chuan Leekpai said AMLO had undermined its credibility by acting like 'Thaksin's lackey'. Legal experts also raised doubts about whether AMLO had any constitutional basis to support the investigation of an alleged crime when the statute of limitations had expired.

Before more than 100 reporters, under a banner reading 'For Nation, Religion and the Monarchy', Mr Ekkayuth reiterated his message that he was on a mission for the good of Thailand and would stop at nothing to expose abuses by the government.

'I don't understand why, as a private citizen calling for an investigation into the stock market, I would be subject to a probe by the Anti-Money Laundering Office and my past unearthed for public consumption,' Mr Ekkayuth said.

He also played down comparisons with Mr Chuwit, who rocked Bangkok with revelations of police corruption on a grand scale. 'Chuwit exposed the police because he didn't have any other choice to protect himself,' Mr Ekkayuth said. 'I, on the other hand, have chosen to expose the government for the benefit of the country.

'I was bad once, but some people have been bad so many times. They should be careful if they want to catch me, because law enforcement is supposed to have a blanket effect, not be earmarked for any individual. There have been a lot of people in this country who have serious problems with, say, taxes and stocks.'

He said any more digging into his past would trigger a 'spitting contest'. Even as that dire warning echoed about the corridors of power, and as it seemed things couldn't get any stranger, they did.

Last Thursday, Mr Ekkayuth's chauffeur displayed skills worthy of a movie stunt man when he intercepted a car that was following them and forced it to stop.

Police were summoned, and it transpired that the men were operatives from the National Intelligence Agency. They claimed they'd been ordered to provide Mr Ekkayuth with security.

'If I hadn't intercepted the NIA's mission, I would certainly have been kidnapped or shot, like other prominent figures who've gone missing,' Mr Ekkayuth said.

It appears that the Prime Minister will have this particular thorn lodged in his side for some time yet. And some observers say Mr Thaksin may have met his match this time, because Mr Ekkayuth knows where the campaign finance money trail leads, and where some skeletons are buried.

The Nation editor Suthichai Yoon wrote of Mr Thaksin's bellicose invitation to his critics to try to topple him: 'Was that the threat of a prime minister under the illusion of supreme confidence or was it the blunder by a desperate leader losing not only his temper, but also his political ground.'

For his part, Mr Ekkayuth vows: 'I'm going to fight and fight, even though my life is in danger. Thaksin is trying to discredit me because he's a desperate leader falling from power. This is the way dictatorships always end.'

btn_top.gif

• Like 1

Interesting that the world at large is aware of the Thaksin crime syndication yet majority of Thai's can't see it... rolleyes.gif

If you are comparing the actions of "PAD followers from the city and as far away as Las Vegas and Colorado assembled on both sides of the street in front of the venue." as the "world at large" then you might have a point. The fact is that as it was only a couple of hundred noisy thais that stopped one meeting from going ahead in LA, I think there's a way to go yet before you convince the "world at large" of the existence of a "Thaksin crime syndication".

Just out of interest for those of you who are constantly pointing out the small venues and numbers attending Dr.Thaksins meetings in this "most Thai" of cities in America with the "biggest concentration of Thais outside Thailand" doesn't it strike you as odd that the most anti-Thaksin support you get is a couple of hundred Thais (with a fair sprinkling of foreigner amongst them) and even then had to get them from as far away as Las Vegas and Colorado ?

Probably not, bring on more pictures and funny captions..................coffee1.gif

It is not odd at all. People have to work? LA is a huge city. How many pro Thaskin people showed up?

The fact that people traveled to LA to show their support for justice to me speaks volumes.

The fact remains that Taksin gained power through the 'fairest' elections Thais had ever experienced.

Democracy was in its infancy and needed maturation time ... the majority had spoken , yes , even them stupid peasants in darkest Issan ....

It was the Yellow Shirts who derailed democracy , with leaders who we all know were, and still are, as every bit as corrupt as the Taksin they denounced. They were outraged that these peasants could even have a voice. So they basically seized power.

To me , unconcerned as to which snout is at the trough , there is a clear wrong in the actions of the Yellow Shirts.

It must also appear that way to the majority of Thais , since the MAJORITY resoundingly voted the Red Shirts back into power yet again.

Its time the minority had a rest , and let the democratically elected government govern.

Its time they started actively canvassing the people , constructing new policies that include the rural working classes , and preparing for the next elections as we would expect in any democracy , not threatening further civil disruption.

As for the protests in America , they can protest all they like....

• Like 2

If you are comparing the actions of "PAD followers from the city and as far away as Las Vegas and Colorado assembled on both sides of the street in front of the venue." as the "world at large" then you might have a point. The fact is that as it was only a couple of hundred noisy thais that stopped one meeting from going ahead in LA, I think there's a way to go yet before you convince the "world at large" of the existence of a "Thaksin crime syndication".

Just out of interest for those of you who are constantly pointing out the small venues and numbers attending Dr.Thaksins meetings in this "most Thai" of cities in America with the "biggest concentration of Thais outside Thailand" doesn't it strike you as odd that the most anti-Thaksin support you get is a couple of hundred Thais (with a fair sprinkling of foreigner amongst them) and even then had to get them from as far away as Las Vegas and Colorado ?

Probably not, bring on more pictures and funny captions..................coffee1.gif

It is not odd at all. People have to work? LA is a huge city. How many pro Thaskin people showed up?

The fact that people traveled to LA to show their support for justice to me speaks volumes.

Do you guys even bother to read my posts before you automatically protest? If you had done you would have seen how I pointed out the ironic juxtaposition of your argument even before you made it

"Just out of interest for those of you who are constantly pointing out the small venues and numbers attending Dr.Thaksins meetings in this "most Thai" of cities in America with the "biggest concentration of Thais outside Thailand" - which part of that did you not understand apart from "all of it"?

Are the yellow shirts now causing problems in the U.S? What next a blockade of the Los Angeles Airport? I bet that if 2,000 Americans conducted themselves the same way in Thailand they would quickly be rounded up, thrown into jail and deported.

Which US fugitive is planning to visit Thailand?

Have a stroll down walking street in Pattaya or come visit Phuket, you are bound to met a few.

Difference hough, is that the fugitives in Thailand were not convicted in a politically influenced trial, but were nailed for things like pedophilia, theft, and violent crime.

Amazing to me how you put a positive spin on every scandal that rocks this government. Y ou speak of a politicaly influenced trial. Well at least he got one, which is more than you were willing to do for Abhisit when you single handedly convicted him for avoiding the draft. But that's different I'm sure.

The fact remains that Taksin gained power through the 'fairest' elections Thais had ever experienced.

Democracy was in its infancy and needed maturation time ... the majority had spoken , yes , even them stupid peasants in darkest Issan ....

It was the Yellow Shirts who derailed democracy , with leaders who we all know were, and still are, as every bit as corrupt as the Taksin they denounced. They were outraged that these peasants could even have a voice. So they basically seized power.

To me , unconcerned as to which snout is at the trough , there is a clear wrong in the actions of the Yellow Shirts.

It must also appear that way to the majority of Thais , since the MAJORITY resoundingly voted the Red Shirts back into power yet again.

Its time the minority had a rest , and let the democratically elected government govern.

Its time they started actively canvassing the people , constructing new policies that include the rural working classes , and preparing for the next elections as we would expect in any democracy , not threatening further civil disruption.

I hate to interupt your revised history lesson, but, the yellow shirts did not seize power, the army did. The they installed a military government. After Samak ans Somchai had an opportunity to do something honest, and failed, acoalition government was formed. I'm not sure what you know about a parliamentary system of government, but coalitions a quite common, there is one in England right now. As for disruption, My vote is for the red shirts, They really know how to jam up the works.

What did the U.S Have to Gain by issuing this Fugitive a Visa?

They're doing it as a favour to U.S. based pharmaceutical giant Pfizer to increase their sales in Thailand of anti-hypertension medicine and baby aspirin to ward off strokes purchased by certain TVF posters who go off at the deep end if Thaksin so much as opens a window. biggrin.png

Edited by mca
  • Like 2

Do you guys even bother to read my posts before you automatically protest? If you had done you would have seen how I pointed out the ironic juxtaposition of your argument even before you made it

"Just out of interest for those of you who are constantly pointing out the small venues and numbers attending Dr.Thaksins meetings in this "most Thai" of cities in America with the "biggest concentration of Thais outside Thailand" - which part of that did you not understand apart from "all of it"?

The quote originally had this ending "doesn't it strike you as odd that the most anti-Thaksin support you get is a couple of hundred Thais (with a fair sprinkling of foreigner amongst them) and even then had to get them from as far away as Las Vegas and Colorado?" I'm not sure it's strange to see only hundreds of anti-Thaksin protesters, or even relevant? Why did they have to bring them in, if they had to that is? Looks more like they came out of free will and unorganised as organised they would have needed a permit and have police around to make sure rubbish would be cleaned up after.

Maybe it's similar to the Thai situation. With many commemorative rallies in Bangkok the UDD is providing free busses, "bread and games" in order to raise numbers to above 1,000. Last Songkhran the Cambodian PM had to help, imagine!

Edited by rubl
  • Like 2

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

great satirical posting

What did the U.S Have to Gain by issuing this Fugitive a Visa?

We don´t know........yet.

U-Tapao airport.

Udon base.

And may Chevron gets the gas in the Thai Cambodia overlap area.

And that is just the start.

Not forget Chevron in the South of Thailand

There would be no need for these actions in the US. Thankfully in any Western country with the exception of Italy, someone who had committed even a fraction of the crimes Thaksin has would already be in prison and would stay there for many years.

Please do a Google search about Thaksin In USA no newspaper carries anything about him. Why? Maybe not in USA Please do a Google story is carried only in Thai newspapers No pictures of him meeting any Americans famous or otherwise. Once again he is not in USA.

And the PAD are Anti american now believing in a global conspiracy to take over Thailand.

If you don't believe check out ASTV.

Did anyone tell them.

Here we have the yellow "rent a mob."

No reconciliation then.

There seems to be more support in LA than in Bangkok

Thaksin has sold his own sister and bargained with his sworn enemies to get what he wants. He has sold out Thailand and the Thai people to foriegn capitalist interests for the international support hes getting.

Where's the evidence?

On ASTV?

On 15 August 1997, Thaksin became Deputy Prime Minister in Chavalit Yongchaiyudh's government, after the Thai baht was floated and devalued on 2 July 1997, sparking the Asian Financial Crisis. He held the position for only three months, leaving on 14 November when Chavalit resigned.

During a censure debate on 27 September 1997, Democrat Suthep Thaugsuban accused Thaksin of profiting from insider information about the government's decision to float the baht,[53] but the next Democrat party-led government did not investigate the accusations.

During this period, Thaksin also served on the Asia Advisory Board of the Washington, D.C. based Carlyle Group until he resigned upon becoming Prime Minister in 2001.[54]

http://en.wikipedia....ksin_Shinawatra

" Just as Robert Amsterdam is doing in Russia, where he is using his "defense" of Khodorkovsky as a point of leverage to support US-backed mobs in Moscow's streets, his defense of Thaksin and his red shirts also aims not at defending his clients legally, but at using their case to undermine and ultimately overturn the sovereign institutions of Thailand. It is done in a concerted effort with the US State Department, the corporate media, and a vast network of US and European subsidized NGOs sowing sedition throughout Thailand itself. "

http://maravi.blogsp...ion-donors.html

post-46292-0-21021000-1344937248_thumb.j

Edited by waza