Used And Abused Or Just Stupidity? How Would You Have Handled The Situation?

Beetlejuice

I am sure that many people on this forum speak thai, myself included and choose not to interact with Thais due to whatever reasons.

My reason for not interacting with them is because they don't pay or offer to pay the bill when eating out.

you speak Thai but don't interact with Thais?

so you learned Thai to speak with other foreigners in Thai, just in case they only spoke german or spanish?

makes some sense I guess.

Rather strange, isn't it?

Boy, do i have to explain every little thing to you.

I learnt thai when i used to socialize / work with Thais, how could i learn it from foreigners - duh.

During my time socializing and working with Thais i started to realize i did not particularly care for them and now try to make sure i interact with them as little as possible, get it?

Sounds like a wasted youth, all that learnin'..................sad.png

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure that many people on this forum speak thai, myself included and choose not to interact with Thais due to whatever reasons.

My reason for not interacting with them is because they don't pay or offer to pay the bill when eating out.

you speak Thai but don't interact with Thais?

so you learned Thai to speak with other foreigners in Thai, just in case they only spoke german or spanish?

makes some sense I guess.

Rather strange, isn't it?

Boy, do i have to explain every little thing to you.

I learnt thai when i used to socialize / work with Thais, how could i learn it from foreigners - duh.

During my time socializing and working with Thais i started to realize i did not particularly care for them and now try to make sure i interact with them as little as possible, get it?

Insane ?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Depends on your age and financial situation.and your 'standing' in the local community. Sounds like it was a fair thing to ask.

No it wasn't. The farang invited the other farang and all the hangers-on are part of the Swiss guy. Op, you got shafted. When asked to cough up you should just have paid your share, nothing more, not for people who are not affiliated with you (in any country). As an aside, what is it with the Swiss anyway?

So you choose not to interact with Thais. That's certainly your prerogative. I really mean that. But it does beg the question...why in <deleted>'s name are you in Thailand? Nevermind.

Again, I will say that my experiences with the Thais have been overwhelmingly positive and not anything like yours.

I'm here for the whoores, simple.

So you choose not to interact with Thais. That's certainly your prerogative. I really mean that. But it does beg the question...why in <deleted>'s name are you in Thailand? Nevermind.

Again, I will say that my experiences with the Thais have been overwhelmingly positive and not anything like yours.

Learn to understand Thai better.

Then you will understand Mr. Pitiless POV better.

Very few Thais interact socially with those outside their family.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

You've been mugged pal. This bloke never was your 'friend' and never will be. 'Friend's' don't act in such a disgusting way when they invite you to eat with their family.

Anyway; before you die you will be able to count your 'real friends' on the fingers of one hand, and still have available fingers !

One of the reasons being exactly what the OP was writing about, just way too many opportunists out there. Although family can be the worst as well, but then at least you're betting on the devil you know.

this is one of the reasons getting drunk at these types of events helps. you never end up paying and just forget about it in the morning. it's always the sober one who ends up having to be reasonable and 'solving the problem' while everyone else is laughing or quietly dissappearing.

• Like 1

if he ever askes you out again,

you just say that you and your wife can eat for far less alone,,,

like you say once bitten twicw shy

A lesson learned when you go out with many people the payment should be discussed before. If someone tried that on me I would have hit with a chair if I could not put him away my fist. Forget about it or call him and tell him to keep looking over his shoulder if he does not straighten the bill will you now

Edited by harryfrompattaya

if he ever askes you out again,

you just say that you and your wife can eat for far less alone,,,

like you say once bitten twicw shy

A lesson learned when you go out with many people the payment should be discussed before. If someone tried that on me I would have hit with a chair if I could not put him away my fist. Forget about it or call him and tell him to keep looking over his shoulder if he does not straighten the bill will you now

You sound like a jovial chap biggrin.png

This is correct, the awkward moment i also cannot stand, i would rather just pay the bill myself rather than be embarassed.

I guess when money is involved the "face" thing goes out the window.

Oh I just love these moments, no embarassment on either my part or the wifes.

I hand over money for what the wife and I consumed, and ask, krai ja liang, for those who dont speak Thai, who is paying?

Being a farang I have no face to lose, and as noted above, many Thais dont seem to give a shit, better to lose face than lose money.

I then hand the money over to the most senior person at the table and walk.

Since you are blowing him off already why not call him up and tell him you feel sad that he ripped you off and you want 8000 baht back. Can't hurt to try!

Should try a ladyboy next time although it may turn you bi-sexual.

Doubt it as that would be a number of steps backwards for me. I'm not British you know! I like sex.

Since you are blowing him off already why not call him up and tell him you feel sad that he ripped you off and you want 8000 baht back. Can't hurt to try!

Should try a ladyboy next time although it may turn you bi-sexual.

Doubt it as that would be a number of steps backwards for me. I'm not British you know! I like sex.

biggrin.png

Oh there's a clue in your username, but I was referring/taking the pee (badly) out the OP.

So women dooooo like sex ???!!!!???!!!??!!! w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif I will never take TommoPhysicists advice about women seriously again. unsure.png

You're going to tell me you're a male Kelly now aren't you.

Thais normally tip 20 baht irrespective of how much the bill.

Was the service good, is that not what a tip should be based on? no one has mentioned that. Here in Thailand a tip is expected even if the service is poor - how's that work?

That is a bit of a general statement that Thais only tip 20 baht; I certainly haven't found that to be the case, even if it isn't on company expenses.

Tipping in Thailand is not compulsory, it is up to the individual. But the customer should also realize that service charges are usually not added to the bill in normal bars and restaurants. The tip subsidises the restaurant/bar workers wages, especially if the worker is part time employed. Different places have different ways to distribute the tips, the normal method being that the tips go into a communal collection and divided out at the end of the night/week/month.

But at the end of the day, it is up to the customer. This normally has bearing as to how they are treated on their next visit.............thumbsup.gif

Americans usually tip 20%. This is because bar/restaurant staff get low salaries. Knowing that a good proportion of their salary is dependent on tips you generally get very good service in American bars/restaurants (my opinion)

This does not translate to Thai service staff for 2 reasons

1. They are piss poor at any form of customer service

2. Americans by habit will still tip even if the service is poor in Thailand out of habit.

I dont care if I have spent 100,000baht on a meal if the service is shit. I wont tip 1 baht. and I never tip in a restaurant/bar that has service charge. The argument of do the staff actually get the money from the service charge is not my problem. I am a customer, not the manaqgement.

• Like 1

Your ex friend has lived in Thailand too long and gone half- native.

Many times in the past, I have been invited out by Thais and then been annoyed to get stuck with the bill. If invited out by a farang, though, I would expect him to pick up the tab, especially when his party is 9 and yours only 2.

Like you, I would have probably paid up, not wishing to cause a scene, but I would not be happy about it.

what do expect , farangs to be decent , fair , honest ,etc.

if so, you are in the wrong country .

farangs liers , conmen , borrowers , scammers , trust no f------s in LOS .

i should know.coffee1.gif

Edited by elliss

Thais normally tip 20 baht irrespective of how much the bill.

Was the service good, is that not what a tip should be based on? no one has mentioned that. Here in Thailand a tip is expected even if the service is poor - how's that work?

That is a bit of a general statement that Thais only tip 20 baht; I certainly haven't found that to be the case, even if it isn't on company expenses.

Tipping in Thailand is not compulsory, it is up to the individual. But the customer should also realize that service charges are usually not added to the bill in normal bars and restaurants. The tip subsidises the restaurant/bar workers wages, especially if the worker is part time employed. Different places have different ways to distribute the tips, the normal method being that the tips go into a communal collection and divided out at the end of the night/week/month.

But at the end of the day, it is up to the customer. This normally has bearing as to how they are treated on their next visit.............thumbsup.gif

Americans usually tip 20%. This is because bar/restaurant staff get low salaries. Knowing that a good proportion of their salary is dependent on tips you generally get very good service in American bars/restaurants (my opinion)

This does not translate to Thai service staff for 2 reasons

1. They are piss poor at any form of customer service

2. Americans by habit will still tip even if the service is poor in Thailand out of habit.

I dont care if I have spent 100,000baht on a meal if the service is shit. I wont tip 1 baht. and I never tip in a restaurant/bar that has service charge. The argument of do the staff actually get the money from the service charge is not my problem. I am a customer, not the manaqgement.

Bartenders in Vegas make $15 per hour wages and $50 per hour in tips. I worked my way through college as a bartender and at the time I made more than a bank VP.

cheesy.gif

Pure unadulterated BS covered <deleted>.

• Like 1

cheesy.gif

Pure unadulterated BS covered <deleted>.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

To Beetlejuice........I do feel for you being ambushed as you were.

There have been some good comments, but most relate to the luxury of hindsight. Sure after the event we can all take time to sit back and analise the situation and think of what we should've done.

But BJ was caught in one of those awkward moments and just let his good manners take over, which I think given the situation was the right thing to do.

With so-called friends like that, they all eventually just become distant memories and as we all get older, we find that our true friends become fewer but truer.

Also can't believe so many comments focused on the tip...........some just missed the heart of the OP completely.

Ah well this is TV.

edit: typo

Edited by Rsquared

I'm here for the whoores, simple.

Well I do appreciate your honesty.

A very relevant and insightful topic this one. On a positive note I have actually learnt something here.

The all too often 'hand bill to falang with half smile half laughter' will now be handled by handing over a 500/1000 and returning the sentiment.

And yes hindsight is 20/20. I have been caught out numerous times here already but just paid up and fumed about it later.

I am a little disappointed though. I heard so much about 'balloon chasers' before I came here and was hoping for some spectator sport of it in cm but alas no joy.

• Like 1