Crackdown On Cabbies Who Refuse To Take Passengers

webfact

What about when you get in in Rangsit and ask to go to Bang Na when the guy has to return his taxi to Klong 3 by 3 o clock or get charged for the extra time?

There are legitimate reasons why they can't take you sometimes, I think. When they are polite about it I don't mind. It'd would be pretty bad to arrest these people - anyone?

That's very understanding of you. Taking the taxi back, shift finishing, just off to lunch................... all refusing a fair! Do you really believe what these guys tell you?

Yes

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is good news. I was aware refusing a fare was illegal behavior and it seems to be more common now. It's not uncommon to see a taxi swoop to a group of people wanting a taxi, turn them away one by one, then speed off. It usually seems they have time and are looking to optimize their their day somehow. Observing pedestrians it seems for certain destinations getting a taxi to go there is like hunting for a needle in a haystack. It is nice they created such an easy process consumers can use to address this. In my experience, the Bangkok taxi system is excellent save for this issue.

Not living in Bangkok I do not really know how bad the problem is first hand.

But I do know that making it easy for the offended party to address the problem does not mean the problem will be addressed just that his part will be addressed.

Besides that if the police do address it what is to keep the cabbie from just not opening his window to you. Will they pass a new law for that?wai.gif

How about a crackdown on not using meters, and then on tuk-tuks for being... annoying, smoke-belching tuk-tuks? wink.png

Agreed, rude, aggressive behaviour is more of a problem than a polite “sorry I’m not going that way” – or a wave of the hand to mean the same.

For kicks I am going to give it a go anyway next time I am refused a perfectly reasonable average journey having waiting in the heat or soaking rain for 30 minutes. Especially those ones who don't even bother to say anything and then get really angry when you dont close the door properly.

I always leave the door open when they refuse me.

If they ask for bahtXXX I just say Fark Off and slam the door.

Police enforcing the law would be a nice idea.

I must be strange.

I never have problems with cabs in Bangkok...

Sometime they do say no to me because of the traffic.... so what.

second or third try always give me a cab.....

I see no problem...

Mayby I am strange.....

wai.gif

Did anyone ever try phoning the hotline ?

I did several months ago when I got into a taxi on Sukhumvit for the airport. The driver refused to put on the meter saying it was broken. When we got on the expressway he then pulled over and told me to get out. I refused and called the number, to be told I had to go to a police station with him and give a statement.

At least my my vocabulary improved when we got to the airport as I refused to give him the legitimate fare of THB 1000 ( farang special discount ).

Nice sound bite, like most things completely unenforcable.

It really is amazing how so many middle-aged pink "heroes" choose to torture themselves volunterily!

Why stay in LOS if all you do is b**ch and moan about teamoney,cabs etc...Constant negativity against Thais is really

getting ...

Do you really want to this place to work like back home?!Expecting european standard with thai prices is not going to happen!

Here you enjoy the company of 5 foot+ 20+years old doll,and then cry about extra 50 cents you had to pay because thais are rasist.

Try to look at the positive...most of you are well over the hill so that might give you couple of extra years in this hellhole!

• Like 2

In the overall scope of things to bitch about I would personally put Bangkok taxis down near the bottom of my list. Maybe I have been exceptionally lucky but i have very rarely had any problems whatsoever with the taxis. Sure sometimes one will quote a flat fare or will shake his head no when I name a destination. But most of the time I am able to find another one ready to go with the meter in a matter of minutes. In my experience bangkok taxis are some of the best bargains anywhere. How many large cities can you ride an a/c taxi for a few miles and the fare is the equivalent of a few bucks and a tip is up to you. Try that in the USA or Europe and see how that works out. If you want something to whine about go to phuket and deal with the tuk tuk mafia there that want exhorbitant prices for an uncomfortable non a/c death trap ride with no meters in sight.

Will this apply to Koh Samui, the most lawless land in the nation? The taxis charge 300 baht for a 1km. trip. Neither the impotent mayor Ramnate Jaikwong, the governor of the province, the supposedly concerned new sheriff in town, or any officials will do anything about it. From what I hear the taxi mafia is more powerful than the PM. What is to be done, with these gangster drivers? Anything? Ever? I have never had a problem finding a taxi in Bangkok willing to use their meter, except on Soi 4 Nana, which I try to avoid anyway.

90% of the time I never have a problem with taxis in BKK and in some rare occasions they have dropped me of at a BTS station in heavy traffic so always a good tip for good service I have had a few refusals they can be annoying because its always when you have arranged to meet someone at a certain time / place and you have already had to wait 5 mins for a red light taxi to come along once in a thunderstorm in Soi Convent I jumped in the taxi gave my directions but he would not turn on the meter big rain big money so I promptly left the taxi and left the door fully open in the rain he was about as happy as I was

The chances of me ever phoning the hotline I would say will be very slim indeed I would need to have had a very bad day indeed

A clever friend of mine, when getting a taxi at the airport with the driver refusing to use the meter, directed him to her neighbourhood, but once there, instead of directing him to her apartment, had him turn into the police station, much to his surprise. She then opened the door and told the nearest policeman that the driver had refused to use his meter. She got tremendous satisfaction from the driver getting a good dressing down from the police. They told her that they had fined him, but as she did not speak Thai, she wasn't convinced of this. But apparently the look on the driver's face was reward enough!

Excellent! Very clever indeed.

For kicks I am going to give it a go anyway next time I am refused a perfectly reasonable average journey having waiting in the heat or soaking rain for 30 minutes. Especially those ones who don't even bother to say anything and then get really angry when you dont close the door properly.

Agree completely. Will get out my phone, take a photo, and then busily send the details to the website above.

If nothing else it will delude me into thinking the driver will get punished and help release my anger.

Dont even try that...the driver might just come out and bash your head if you try clicking a pic. Like what happened with a thai on rajaprarop airport rail link some time back

Agree completely. Will get out my phone, take a photo, and then busily send the details to the website above.

If nothing else it will delude me into thinking the driver will get punished and help release my anger.

Dont even try that...the driver might just come out and bash your head if you try clicking a pic. Like what happened with a thai on rajaprarop airport rail link some time back

They should begin with the crackdown on the taxi mafia on sukhumvit soi 11 first

Try to catch a taxi after midnight in Silom in front of Patpong 1 who is willing to use his meter. First question: "where do you go" which for the taxi driver is the yardstick for measuring the fee you have to pay since by coincidence his "taxi-meter out of order"... The formula is: [2 x (d*c + s)] in which d = estimated distance, c = legal fare per km, s = total fare for waiting time + 35 THB starting fee, 2 = minimum multiplication factor for broken taxi-meter. All taxi drivers waiting in Silom at soi Patpong, in three double rows, know this formula by heart and just start laughing when you write their number plates... But this crackdown has already expired.

Taxi's have become a joke. I'm constantly refused from esplanade to home which is a 40 baht fare of like 1km.

As for getting home to ratchada after a few drinks in suk forget about it. Just get the constant inevitable cries of you go Spicy or 200 baht.

Will be reporting them all

Edited by lennois

Taxis that reject customers will be fined

BANGKOK, 28 August 2012 (NNT) – From September 1st onwards, taxi drivers who refuse service to passengers will be fined, while the Traffic Police will give a warning to taxis that violate traffic codes for the first time, instead of issuing citations.

The Traffic Police will begin issuing warnings to taxi drivers who violate 12 particular traffic codes, such as not wearing seatbelt and not carrying a driver’s license, from September 1st onwards. However, If the drivers violate the same code for the second time, the police will record the action and fine them to the maximum allowed by laws.

The police have just added one more traffic code violation, which is refusal of service, to the previous 12, bringing the number to 13 altogether. Drivers who refuse passengers will be fined or prosecuted without a prior warning, given police want them to cotton on to the fact that passenger refusal creates difficulty for passengers in need of a cab service. Unhappy passengers wishing to petition the police may do so by calling 1197, informing them of the registration number of the cab which refuses to take them.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-08-28 footer_n.gif

How about a crackdown on not using meters, and then on tuk-tuks for being... annoying, smoke-belching tuk-tuks? wink.png

In case you are implying Tuk-tuks are polluting bear in mind they are actually all LPG. Despite the smoke being annoying it is actually far more environmentally friendly than diesel or petrol.

m nt sure about the hotline but the website is available only in thai . so, hows that helpful to the foreigners. its usually the farangs who go thru all this stuff in thailand

Thais have it just as bad, if not worse, than foreigners.

• Like 1

What about when you get in in Rangsit and ask to go to Bang Na when the guy has to return his taxi to Klong 3 by 3 o clock or get charged for the extra time?

There are legitimate reasons why they can't take you sometimes, I think. When they are polite about it I don't mind. It'd would be pretty bad to arrest these people - anyone?

I agree. There is 98% chance of another taxi within a minute anyway, If you r that far out of town that the taxis are scarce, I am sure the driver will take you as far as he can.

This paper is infuriating.

WHY all of a sudden is it such a serious offence to refuse a fare? Who decided to change the law? Where are they going to house all of these new inmates?

A fine for a minor offence and jail for refusing a fare???? Someone find this paper some journalists

They used to have "western" Jurno's then replaced them all with folks from India and Bangladesh. (Serous)

To save even more money, many of the proof readers are out sourced back in India. Hence, this is why so much just doesn't make sense and is shallow. Some times I am not sure which is more news worth the nation or notthenation.

So true! Many friends in the industry had to move to places like Singapore becoz those in power 'thought' an Indian could do the same job. Hence the drastic drop in quality, and huge rise in errors! TIT

that's kinda racist. The news bascially comes from the source nd not from the brain of the journalist himself. indian or watever ,the person just adds a little spice to the news but i dun think he can write any B.S. in the paper that he wants to , thus making i low in quality or shallow . just sayin'