Son Of Red Bull Executive Arrested For Alleged Fatal Hit-And-Run Against Police

webfact

I have said before and now is the time to repeat. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE who flees the scene of an accident, should have a mandatory 10 year prison sentence in addition to anything warranted for causing the accident.

NOBODY SHOULD BE EXEMPT.

I'll take ten years over being beaten to death by a Thai mob...just saying.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HIT AND RUN

Son of Red Bull executive nabbed for alleged fatal hit-and-run accident

30189622-01_big.jpg

Pol Sen Sgt Maj Wichien Klanprasert

BANGKOK: -- A son of Red Bull drinks executive Chalerm Yoovidhya was arrested on Monday for allegedly killing a police patrolman in a hit-and-run accident.

Chalerm's son, Worayuth, was arrested at Chalerm's house on Sukhumvit Soi 53 after he admitted to Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Kamronwit Thoopkrajang that he was driving the Ferrari that hit the motorcycle of Pol Sen Sgt Maj Wichien Klanprasert of Thonglor police station at 5,30am.

The Ferrari car was seen fleeing into Chalerm's house, prompting Kamronwit to rush to the house and talk with Chalerm for about an hour.

Wichien was hit by the black sports car at the mouth of Soi Sukhumvit 49. The car dragged Wichien's body and motorcycle for over 200 metres.

Witnesses told police that the Ferrari fled into Chalerm's house on Sukhumvit Soi 53.

Before Chalerm's son confessed to driving the car, Kamronwit told reporters that if the car owner did not cooperate with police, he would return to the house with 200 policemen to search it.

Kamronwit said he would step down as the Metropolitan police chief if he failed to bring Wichien's killer to justice.

"I can't let a police officer to die in vain. I'll bring the real culprit to justice," he said.

Kamronwit also demoted Pol Lt Col Pannapon Nammuang, a crime suppression inspector of Thonglor Police station, to an inactive position.

Kamronwit said Pannapon tried to have someone to pretend to be the driver of the car that hit the policeman.

"It is unacceptable for him to set up the arrest of a scapegoat. He ignored the death of his subordinate," Kamronwit said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-03

It's dumb how these guys think that money can do anything. I'm sure if this was a normal guy ,he wouldnot (even in his wildest dreams) think of hitting a policeman. but in thailand these guys TALK to a guy who just hit a cop and BEAT THE SH*T OUT of a person who is jus a "suspect" of drug use.

Sadly but true money can buy absolutely everything, except TRUE love. Just ask the Rothschilds and Rockefellers, they might be able to open your eyes... Money can buy revolutions, countries and plunge a whole continent into war. Why shouldn't a little cash enable a rich man's kid to buy himself out of a hit and run? In Thailand money and status weighs even more. It was a Thai person who explained to me some 21 years ago when I moved here that a Thai person - if money was too tight to buy paint for exterior AND interior of his house - would paint the outside first since this is what other people can see... Another problem is that policemen in Thailand are underpayed and in most provinces even have to buy their own guns and transport. This all are additional factors making it almost impossible to get rid of corruption in this beautiful country. It's just fact and nobody will ever change that...

Reminds me of that well known Beatles song " MONEY CAN'T BUY ME LOVE " !!!!!!!!!!

Cavallino Motors, the sole official importer of Ferrari Spa in Thailand

http://www.cavallino.co.th/home.aspx

Details of the Yoovidhya family's role in the company.

CAVALLINO MOTORS CO., LTD

2124 New Petchburi Road, Bangkok 10310 Thailand

“Cavallino Motors Co., Ltd is jointly invested by Mr. Vudha Bhirombhakdi & me. We are both fascinate and fond of Ferrari. We’re so proud that Ferrari contacted us to be a sole authorized dealer in Thailand and to service Ferrari’s cars. I really appreciate that they rely on and have confidence in us which makes us more challenging. My team & I have good intention and great passion for Ferrari.” says Mr. Chalerm Yoovidhya, of Cavallino Motors Co., Ltd.

“I am the president of Cavallino Group while Mr. Vudha is the chairman. Mr.Voravud Bhirombhakdi and Mr. Varit Yoovidhya are the vice-presidents while Mrs. Nandhamalee Bhirombhakdi is a managing director. We truly assured you for our reputation and guarantee our world-class standard services for Ferrari. ”

From the company website:

http://www.cavallino.co.th/press.aspx

Crime inspector of Thonglor police station seconded for trying arrest scapegoat

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Kamronwit Thoopkrajang Monday seconded Pol Lt Col Pannapon Nammuang, a crime suppression inspector of Thonglor Police station, to an inactive position at the Metropolitan Police.

Kamronwit said Pannapon tried to have someone to pretend to be the driver of the car that hit and killed Pol Sen Sgt Maj Wichien Klanprasert of Thonglor police station.

"This was unacceptable for him to set up for an arrest of a scapegoat. He ignored the death of his subordinate," Kamronwit said.

Kamronwit said Pannapon would be indefinitely seconded to the Metropolitan Police head office.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-03

I think the headline should read that he was seconded for his enterprise in trying to negotiate a private side deal before the commissioner could arrive and negotiate his own deal. He should have known to stand aside when the killer of a policeman is the son of some one on the Fortune 500 list. This is the type of windfall that comes to the metropolitan commissioner only once in a blue moon and woe betide anyone who tries to get in the way. The secondment is indeed a harsh punishment as without any active duty he will not be able to extort bribes from anyone and may have to stoop to renting himself out as private security or as a repo man.

It is curious that there is no mention of the driver's alcohol blood level or what he was doing on the road at 5.30a.m. when he snuffed out the copper. I suppose he was heading off to an early business meeting.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 1

"Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Kamronwit Thoopkrajang .............rush to the house and hold a talk with Chalerm for about an hour."

Rank has its privileges. Wealth has even more in Thailand.

Nice that they had a good chat about it, though! The police don't do so much actual 'chatting' in the UK, as I remember, so a very pleasant Thai touch, no doubt, a few sabai-sabai 'No, no, but really's..' over a cup of green tea and a coconut cup-cake...

The tide will turn one day, I suspect it won't be pretty when it does.

Agree, the day will come, not tomorrow, but not too far into the near future when the middle class voice will stand up and demand this all changes.

I made the same comment a few years ago and was critised by some TV members for doing so, seems I was being arrogant.

I agree that this guy will probably walk after paying compensation to the affected parties, who know the late officers family may get something, I suspect they will be way down the pecking order though.

I think this case presents an interesting quandary for the police folks...

Normally, the BIB would more than happy to roll over for the benefit of some hi-so kid whose family would be willing to pony up the dosh to make the death of some "nobody" quickly vanish from the legal system.

But in this case, the victim/fatality isn't just some schlub on the street, but one of their own not-so-little fraternity.

So where will the BIB's allegiance stand in this case: toward their normal economic self-interest, or toward justice for a fallen comrade?

Going to be very interesting to hear the outcome...if we ever do...

Check out the precedential case of a night club murder involving Chalerm's sons.

While some are making with their crocodile tears and banging out their RIP's they might care to think that the deceased was a Senior Sergeant Major. So what are the requirements to attaining such a high rank? Apart from cheating in the examinations of course. It is more than probable that he has been lining his pockets throughout his career and has been prime element in a totally corrupt force. As many sportsment have learned to their cost, they are not as important as 'the team'. Similarly, the victim was part of a system and the interests and survival of the system is paramount. Police justice will be hung by its own petard again it seems.

Could you not sum up your whole paragraph in one word in this instance...Karma ?

Red Bull Executive equals Big Bull Sh-t! Hit and run and big shot cop rush to house and comes out later after one hour? We all know what is happening here! Major or whatever certainly not high enough that a deal couldn't be struck! I just glad that it was one of them and not someone else maybe they get a hint as to how it feels when one of their get it!

No time for this spoil rotten kid who ran away from the scene after killing someone. Money will be paid out undisclosed and after a week of ceremony and a apology to the family and some fake sorrow the whole thing will be swept under the rug. Just like the kid who drove the Posche 120 KM/H down a Soi and cut a 16 year old girl in half and took off too! Paid out 300,000 baht to the family and the cost of the car was near 10 million baht. Whatever happen to that case? How much time did he get?

Amazing how many Forum Members have tried and sentenced Boss, without knowing the details of the accident. Agree it doesn't look good that a cover-up has already been attempted, but it does not say "ipso facto" he is guilty. There just might be other factors that need to be considered in the case. C'mon "peps" engage brain before hitting the keyboard.sad.png

Fair enough, so why run away?

Your argument may have a little credibility if the car driver had stayed at the scene and attempted to render some assistance to the police officer, difficult I know given he had apparently dragged the officer for 200m under his car, but no he ran home to the safety of his families compound.

Edited by theoldgit

Sure it may well have been an accident, but, had he been travelling at the speed limit it wouldn't have resulted in such damage to the car and it would be unlikely that the poor copper would be dragged 200 metres along the road. Fleeing the accident and rushing home to mum is the not particularly manly but then he is probably a bit wimpy anyway.

However, the real crime cannot in any way be considered an accident - trying to fit someone else up for the accident - this scumbag copper should be hung-out to dry by the b_lls, not move, de-moted, or slapped on the wrist -- but prosecuted and jailed for a long time and put into goal with the criminal element that he has a hand in putting away.

Pol Lt Gen Kamronwit is actually seeking justice for this deceased man. He could have so easily continued the cover up. Justice will probably not happen however I commend him on trying.

How do know this? Where you present at the hour long meeting between him and Chalerm? Why was a meeting necessary between the police commissioner and the killer's father? The commissioner would be busy man if he had to attend a lengthy meeting with the father of every drunk driver who kills someone in the city.

HIT AND RUN

Son of Red Bull executive nabbed for alleged fatal hit-and-run accident

30189622-01_big.jpg

Pol Sen Sgt Maj Wichien Klanprasert

BANGKOK: -- A son of Red Bull drinks executive Chalerm Yoovidhya was arrested on Monday for allegedly killing a police patrolman in a hit-and-run accident.

Chalerm's son, Worayuth, was arrested at Chalerm's house on Sukhumvit Soi 53 after he admitted to Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Kamronwit Thoopkrajang that he was driving the Ferrari that hit the motorcycle of Pol Sen Sgt Maj Wichien Klanprasert of Thonglor police station at 5,30am.

The Ferrari car was seen fleeing into Chalerm's house, prompting Kamronwit to rush to the house and talk with Chalerm for about an hour.

Wichien was hit by the black sports car at the mouth of Soi Sukhumvit 49. The car dragged Wichien's body and motorcycle for over 200 metres.

Witnesses told police that the Ferrari fled into Chalerm's house on Sukhumvit Soi 53.

Before Chalerm's son confessed to driving the car, Kamronwit told reporters that if the car owner did not cooperate with police, he would return to the house with 200 policemen to search it.

Kamronwit said he would step down as the Metropolitan police chief if he failed to bring Wichien's killer to justice.

"I can't let a police officer to die in vain. I'll bring the real culprit to justice," he said.

Kamronwit also demoted Pol Lt Col Pannapon Nammuang, a crime suppression inspector of Thonglor Police station, to an inactive position.

Kamronwit said Pannapon tried to have someone to pretend to be the driver of the car that hit the policeman.

"It is unacceptable for him to set up the arrest of a scapegoat. He ignored the death of his subordinate," Kamronwit said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-03

So the bike and body were dragged for over 200 metres? That doesn't sound like the action of a human being let alone a hit and run driver. This disgusting kid should be slaughtered for this.

And as for taking 200 policeman to search a house that reminds me of the Roman centurions in Monty Pythons Life of Brian!

Although this is a high profile case, it could just be that it was an accident. How many times have I not seen the police motosai just pull into traffic right in front of cars.

Most people here panic when they have been in accident and just flee, even when not at fault.

Just sayin'...

first reaction - flee. Acceptable?

second reaction - offer to buy your way out. Acceptable?

third reaction -flee to Laos Acceptable?

fourth reaction -order a new Ferrari Acceptable?

fifth reaction -open a driving school Acceptable?

In that area i've often heard cars and motorbikes revved up in the night after midnight. Makes me wonder if they do racing down Tonglor. Had wished the police would do more.

Chalerm's house on Soi Thonglor 53

I think they mean Sukhumvit Soi 53. Tonglor Road is Sukhumvit Soi 55.

Edited by Apothecary

We all know how it ends - larger sum paid to the family of Mr. Klanprasert - case closed. The super rich "Hi-So" kids basically can do what they want and remain unharmed. They learn their ignorant and selfish behaviour watching the Thai soaps and through mom and dad showing them how to deal with underprivileged employees, waiters, officials, etc. A sky high "Wai" is automatically given to anyone who drives a Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes and lives in a posh villa. In Thailand (and most other countries) status and money means everything, being a good and kind person is regarded to as "weak"...

RIP to the unfortunate policeman and his family.

So Sad, So true... May He R.I.P.

Condolences to the poor Policeman.

Based on other similar cases, let me make a quick prediction as to the outcome:

1. Suspended sentence, accidental death verdict, community service, no jail time.

2. Someone finds their bank account swells considerably.

Business as usual.....