Dtac Acess Points

joka

hello

sorry, i jumped the gun on this post, i have found crushdepths thorough explanation on connecting via dtac, and will try that.

i am trying to get an internet connection in the home, and have resorted to buying an Nokia n-gage qd to use as a modem. i have signed up for the dtac unlimited plan. the thing is, the only access points named on the phone are MMS and WAP. I am wondering if anyone has the name of the generic GPRS access point, or if this is even needed. i am able to get a connection, through a billionton bluetooth device, but i can't seem to get any webpages to load.

this might be some sort of problem with com ports too, but between the nokia software and the bluetooth software, i don't know what to do. especially the nokia software, it seems to be pretty bad. i mean, the pc suite won't even recognize the phone! it says to plug the cable in, and the ngage qd doesn't even use a cable, bluetooth only.

Edited by joka

No need to use the Nokia <deleted>, you can just set up a Bluetooth dial-up connection from Windows...as for GPRS settings for your Nokia, go here:

http://www.djuice.co.th/ota2005/html/main.html

Select your phone model, input your number and an SMS will be promptly sent, which will ask you if you want to accept the new settings...say yes, and the GPRS profile should be loaded. Then do the Bluetooth dial-up connection in Windows and you'll be all set :o

hello

sorry, i jumped the gun on this post, i have found crushdepths thorough explanation on connecting via dtac, and will try that.

i am trying to get an internet connection in the home, and have resorted to buying an Nokia n-gage qd to use as a modem. i have signed up for the dtac unlimited plan. the thing is, the only access points named on the phone are MMS and WAP. I am wondering if anyone has the name of the generic GPRS access point, or if this is even needed. i am able to get a connection, through a billionton bluetooth device, but i can't seem to get any webpages to load.

this might be some sort of problem with com ports too, but between the nokia software and the bluetooth software, i don't know what to do. especially the nokia software, it seems to be pretty bad. i mean, the pc suite won't even recognize the phone! it says to plug the cable in, and the ngage qd doesn't even use a cable, bluetooth only.

If you use the automatic MMS sent from DTAC you will only get a MMS and WAP GPRS setup

You will need to change the WAP setup to INTERNET setup.

In the APN - access point name you have to change from wap.djuice.co.th to www.dtac.co.th and in Homepage clear the http://wap.djuice.co.th and leave it blank

Like this on a Nokia

Access Point Internet and Mail

1. Connection name > DTAC GPRS Net

2. Data Bearer > GPRS

3. Access Point name > www.dtac.co.th

4. User name > None

5. Prompt Password > No

6. Password >

7. Authentication > Normal

8. Homepage > None

9. Connection security > off

10. Session mode > Temporary

Options > Advance settings

1. Phone IP Address = Automatic

2. Primary name Server = 0.0.0.0

3. Second. name Server = 0.0.0.0

4. Proxy serv. address = 203.155.200.133

5. Proxy port number = 8080

Edited by Oishi

Sorry to ask again people but I didnt get an answer to my last post, I am moving over soon and have a laptop with bluetooth I will also be buying a thai phone. I live in pattaya on the east side of Sukhumvit road in Moo9 so what is the best way for me to connect to the internet? i dont forsee a need for a landline phone but if thats best then thats the way I will go. What is DTEC? any help would be appreciated

Sorry to ask again people but I didnt get an answer to my last post, I am moving over soon and have a laptop with bluetooth I will also be buying a thai phone. I live in pattaya on the east side of Sukhumvit road in Moo9 so what is the best way for me to connect to the internet? i dont forsee a need for a landline phone but if thats best then thats the way I will go. What is DTEC? any help would be appreciated

Depends on your needs.

Are you going to stay there, and surf the net, read email.

Or are you a lot on the move, reading and replying to mails.

If you are surfing the net, looking at heavy pages like CNN maybe downloading som software or listen to radio, looking at internet TV you should indeed get a landline and some ADSL internet.

If you are on the move a lot with your laptop get the GPRS solution.

DTAC is a mobile operator. Second largest in the country, partly own….well mostly owned by Telenor from Norway.

AIS is the largest mobile operator, now in the hands of a Singaporean investor but they still have a very good service.

True/Orange a Thai company, check first if you can use Orange in your home.

There are also to others operators Thai mobile and Hutch but not sure they will be around for long.

You will need a mobile phone with either a USB port, Bluetooth or IR.

Then a Sim card from either of the above. Or you could even buy a GPRS card for your laptop.

When you setup the GPRS on the phone change the normal GPRS WAP settings to INTERNET.

Here are the setting…you can get the operator to send you a MMS that will install the WAP settings for you, but you will need to change the APN settings from WAP to internet.

All operators have campaign now and then on GPRS, check their websites.

AIS

http://www.one-2-call.com/One2Call/otc/e/index.jsp

DTAC

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/default.aspx

Orange

http://www.orange.co.th/english/index.jsp

If you buy the mobile phone in Thailand it might already have the settings you need

Check them against this below.

1. Connection name >

If AIS - AIS GPRS

If DTAC - DTAC GPRS

If Orange- Orange GPRS Inet

2. Data Bearer >

GPRS

3. Access Point name >

If AIS = internet

If DTAC = www.dtac.co.th

If Orange = internet

4. User name >

AIS = None

DTAC = None

Orange = orange

5. Prompt Password >

No

6. Password >

AIS = None

DTAC = None

Orange = orange

7. Authentication >

Normal

8. Homepage >

AIS = http://wap.mobilelife.co.th

Orange = http://www.orange.co.th

DTAC = could be www.dtac.co.th

9. Connection security >

off

10. Session mode >

Temporary

Advance settings

1. Phone IP Address = Automatic

2. Primary name Server = 0.0.0.0

3. Second. name Server = 0.0.0.0

4. Proxy serv. address =

AIS = 203.170.229.34

DTAC = 203.155.200.133

Orange = 010.004.007.039

5. Proxy port number = 8080

some things to consider before using gprs in pattaya......

your internet speed will depend on the traffic flowing through the cell phone tower. pattaya has a lot of traffic, both on the street and in the air. you might find yourself with a gprs download speed of around 1.6 kBps.

also, getting a landline doesn't guarantee a better connection, again this depends on where you are located. the telephone lines and power lines are all twisted together in one big knot in many parts of pattaya.

also, you will either need a workpermit to sign up for the gprs service, or find a thai person to put the service in their name.

Many thanks for the helpful advice guys, I will be static therefore a landline is an option and living out on Moo9. I only use the Internet for surfing , e-mail and chat, I dont as a rule download much.

I will look at your advice and try and make a decision!