Apple Iphone 5 Sells More Than 2 Million On First Day

webfact

Apple's iPhone 5 sells more than 2 million on first day

SAN FRANCISCO: -- Apple shares hit a record high Monday, crossing the 700-dollar mark for the first time after the company said it had notched a record 2 million pre-orders for its iPhone 5 in the first 24 hours the smartphone was on sale.

The sales level was more than double the number achieved last year when Apple released the iPhone 4S, and puts the company in position to meet expectations of selling more than 10 million of the devices in its first week on the market.

Shaw Wu, an analyst at Sterne Agee and Leach Inc, raised his estimate of iPhone sales in the current quarter from 23 million units to 26 million. A poll of analysts by Bloomberg News yielded an average estimate of 58 million iPhones sold by the end of the year, which would mean revenue of more than 36 billion dollars for Apple,which is already the world’s most valuable company.

The new phone, which boasts upgrades including an improved processor, larger screen and better camera, will be available for purchase Friday. Apple kicked off pre-orders for the device a week earlier, selling out in the US, Germany, France, Australia, Canada, Japan, Britain and other launch countries.

"IPhone 5 pre-orders have shattered the previous record held by iPhone 4S, and the customer response to iPhone 5 has been phenomenal," said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of worldwide marketing.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-18

Impressive, 10 million fashion victims in a week. I guess the old "one born a minute" rule still applies.

You hit it right on the head. This is an inferior piece of technology, selling at top dollar, due to the fact that it is so hip. The Galaxy SIII absolutely blows this phone away, on every level, from the much better keyboard (not to mention the custom keyboard apps), the camera, the photo quality, the brightness of the screen, the speed, etc, etc. I could go on for a year, having used them both. But, the worldwide snow job continues, and people continue buying into the iphone hype. I say all this as a mac user. So, I do know what I am talking about.

• Like 2

Impressive, 10 million fashion victims in a week. I guess the old "one born a minute" rule still applies.

You hit it right on the head. This is an inferior piece of technology, selling at top dollar, due to the fact that it is so hip. The Galaxy SIII absolutely blows this phone away, on every level, from the much better keyboard (not to mention the custom keyboard apps), the camera, the photo quality, the brightness of the screen, the speed, etc, etc. I could go on for a year, having used them both. But, the worldwide snow job continues, and people continue buying into the iphone hype. I say all this as a mac user. So, I do know what I am talking about.

Interesting to hear that you used both of the phones already, taking into consideration that the Iphone 5 is not for sale yet. Unless you were one of the chosen few that were at the Keynote, I suspect that you did compare it to an Iphone 4s?

Anyway, I highly doubt that the build quality of the Galaxy is anywhere near that of the Iphone 5....so I do not think that it would "blow away" the Iphone 5 at least on that level.

• Like 2

iPhone 5 has already outperformed the SIII in Geek bench test results. Also not sure how you have used an unreleased phone?

I like Apple, but I won't claim it's so much better than the SIII speed wise. It should be, the SIII has been out for months.

• Like 1

" From the above article: A poll of analysts by Bloomberg News yielded an average estimate of 58 million iPhones sold by the end of the year, which would mean revenue of more than 36 billion dollars for Apple...."

If these figures are correct, coming from Bloomberg one would expect so, then Apple receives $620,- US per i-phone 5 sold ?

I find that hard to believe. (minus shipping costs there can not be much left for the retailers)

Edited by luckyman

What-is-the-best-way-to-milk-a-sheep.png

You can't move forward without making changes, the old connector was 9 years old and a lot has changed in 9 years.

Of course a lot of people just don't get it.. that's OK, the iPhone just isn't for everyone, of course. But, it's still the best phone available in the world today.

Some people love Apple as a company, others despise them.. but as the wealthiest company in the world it can (and does) employ the top minds in the business, so it has the best tecnical excellence and the best design, and it's made from the best materials. It may not always have the latest or best spec, or the biggest screen.. but there is always a good reason why.

It's just unfortunate that excellence comes at a price that excludes a lot of people and puts others in debt to own one.. that's bad.

Much as I love Apple and it's products, there are FAR more important issues in the world and a lot of better things to be doing than worrying about mobile phones.

What makes the iPhone the best phone in the world? I don't get that.

Edited by thaicruze

Oh man, nothing is more predictable than the iPhone/Apple haters... why do you have to hate what other people love? I don't know any iPhone owners who get all upset about some Android device?! It's a phone, people.

Conan gets an exclusive sneak peek at the iPhone 5...

Hi SpiderMike, I've been considering the Android but i'm a Mac User too...would you know if the android can sync with Mac Mail, Calendar, Contacts, notes & Music?? This is my key consideration...& have no luck finding an answer on line...

Many thanks...W

Hi SpiderMike, I've been considering the Android but i'm a Mac User too...would you know if the android can sync with Mac Mail, Calendar, Contacts, notes & Music?? This is my key consideration...& have no luck finding an answer on line...

Many thanks...W

Mac Mail, Mac Calendar, Mac Contacts app, Mac Notes and iTunes are all Apple apps, not Android apps. How can the music App in an Android phone sync with iTunes? or the Notes app Sync with an Android phone? Notes is an App in the iPhone.

If you have Gmail, then your Calendar app in the phone will sync with your Calendar in your gmail. Same with your contacts, and Mail. Just put your gmail in your Mac Mail.

Android is made by Google.

Edited by thaicruze

Many thanks...W

Mac Mail, Mac Calendar, Mac Contacts app, Mac Notes and iTunes are all Apple apps, not Android apps. How can the music App in an Android phone sync with iTunes? or the Notes app Sync with an Android phone? Notes is an App in the iPhone.

If you have Gmail, then your Calendar app in the phone will sync with your Calendar in your gmail. Same with your contacts, and Mail. Just put your gmail in your Mac Mail.

Android is made by Google.

Android can't sync with iTunes? Lame.

Mail will definitely sync as Mac mail is just another Mail service and follows the IMAP standard.

Calendar *should* sync - google it, but Mac calendar has various standards-compliant ways of accessing it. I am not intimately familiar with how they work, or how well they work, but it should be doable.

Contacts aren't going to sync with anything non-Apple. There are no open standards for that.

Notes - I think notes might work, as you can set up your notes to sync via email. They show up in the inbox. Depends on Android as to whether they have integrated that or not.

What's for sure is that integration will be more spotty than it is with the iPhone. Unless you switch your music, contacts, calendar to Google. Does Android have an equivalent to notes?

I agree the sync issue is the greatest challenge. But, it can be done. I sync the contacts with cheetah. I sync the photos with picasa, and then the google account. Very easy. I sync the music with doubletwist. also easy. Mail is a piece of cake, as the servers seem to be universal, to some extent. I use a notes app, that back up online. I also use password keeper, vaulty, and many other apps that sync online. So, the processes are there, it just takes a little more work. On the other hand I do not have a ridiculous cloud wiping out my email passwords every other day, so that is just one of the many, many reliefs associated with moving away from this deficient piece of hardware known as the iphone.

Interesting to hear that you used both of the phones already, taking into consideration that the Iphone 5 is not for sale yet. Unless you were one of the chosen few that were at the Keynote, I suspect that you did compare it to an Iphone 4s?

Anyway, I highly doubt that the build quality of the Galaxy is anywhere near that of the Iphone 5....so I do not think that it would "blow away" the Iphone 5 at least on that level.

I did not use the iphone5. Used the iphone 4. I sure hope apple made alot of improvements, as that phone was like a kid's toy. Such a marginal phone, for that kind of money. The build quality is way beyond the iPhone, which was slow, ponderous, etc. Also some of the apps like the camera are just downright atrocious. Not the res. The quality of images. Compared side by side, the Samsung had the typical brightness, and quality of a Samsung monitor. I showed the exact same photo to several people on both phones side by side, and EVERYONE remarked at how poor they looked on the iphone, and how gorgeous they looked on the real phone.

iPhone 5 has already outperformed the SIII in Geek bench test results. Also not sure how you have used an unreleased phone?

I like Apple, but I won't claim it's so much better than the SIII speed wise. It should be, the SIII has been out for months.

I have not used the iphone5. I am sure it is an improvement, as apple had a long way to go, in the smartphone dept. But, I still doubt it comes close to the samsung. The photos on the iphone looked like mud. Little clarity. I hated the camera, and I tried many. I believe they used an incredibly cheap lens. On the samsung no such issue. Also the keyboard on the iphone really sucks. On the samsung there are many keyboard apps, that are brilliant, such as swiftkey, etc. I am thrilled with this truly smart phone. Samsung has outdone themselves, and I can see why apple is running scared.

Android can't sync with iTunes? Lame.

Mail will definitely sync as Mac mail is just another Mail service and follows the IMAP standard.

Calendar *should* sync - google it, but Mac calendar has various standards-compliant ways of accessing it. I am not intimately familiar with how they work, or how well they work, but it should be doable.

Contacts aren't going to sync with anything non-Apple. There are no open standards for that.

Notes - I think notes might work, as you can set up your notes to sync via email. They show up in the inbox. Depends on Android as to whether they have integrated that or not.

What's for sure is that integration will be more spotty than it is with the iPhone. Unless you switch your music, contacts, calendar to Google. Does Android have an equivalent to notes?

Most people don't have these problems since most people don't buy macs. If you have a Mac and not an iPhone, then you need to have workarounds. Isn't that obvious?

As far as the Calendar, I don't have to Google anything. Just open calendar. Go to preferences and add your gmail.

Edited by thaicruze

You can't move forward without making changes, the old connector was 9 years old and a lot has changed in 9 years.

Of course a lot of people just don't get it.. that's OK, the iPhone just isn't for everyone, of course. But, it's still the best phone available in the world today.

Some people love Apple as a company, others despise them.. but as the wealthiest company in the world it can (and does) employ the top minds in the business, so it has the best tecnical excellence and the best design, and it's made from the best materials. It may not always have the latest or best spec, or the biggest screen.. but there is always a good reason why.

It's just unfortunate that excellence comes at a price that excludes a lot of people and puts others in debt to own one.. that's bad.

Much as I love Apple and it's products, there are FAR more important issues in the world and a lot of better things to be doing than worrying about mobile phones.

Your description could apply to Microsoft a few years ago, or IBM before that.

While I don't love or hate iphones, I do think it is a waste to spend so much money, time and talent on something as trivial as a mobile phone. Perhaps I am being presumptuous since I have not even seen an iphone 5 yet. Maybe they will change our lives, question is for better or for worse?

I like my little cheap regular cell phone. Never has failed me. I have dropped my phone over a hundred times and it keeps on working.

Phones are for calling people, computers are for the rest et. coffee1.gif

Edited by MILT

Your description could apply to Microsoft a few years ago, or IBM before that.

While I don't love or hate iphones, I do think it is a waste to spend so much money, time and talent on something as trivial as a mobile phone. Perhaps I am being presumptuous since I have not even seen an iphone 5 yet. Maybe they will change our lives, question is for better or for worse?

The difference is, IBM and Microsoft were stagnating. They were protecting their business while slowing innovation to a near halt. Look no further than Windows. There's absolutely no way either of them would have changed the connector in this situation; that's also the reason they're nowhere to be found in the phone market.

As for why spend the money on a phone, because it's the computer you use more than any other.

Does technology make your life better? Probably not. I mean it depends. Visiting SF with a friend recently, one of the first things he did upon arrival was to check out his OKCupid app for cute girls in the area. If you're single you might have to get a smartphone for that reason alone.. YMMV :D

The reason the iPhone 5 offers so little in the way of progress over its predecessor is farily simple. They're approaching or are at the limits of what the available technology can achieve. God knows what people were waiting or hoping for from Apple's iPhone 5 - an app that washed the dishes, perhaps - but the company needs a new product sharpish.

I read this article a couple of weeks ago just after Samsung lost their legal battle with Apple. I thought it rung very true.

At the moment, it [Apple] can sell these phones for more than twice what they cost to make. It can do this because lots of consumers think they are a 'must have' product. Indeed, during the first half of its financial year, iPhone sales accounted for over half of Apple’s total sales and a big chunk of its profits.

The trouble is, this leaves Apple very dependent on the iPhone. It means that each new version of the smartphone has to be much better than the last one to keep customers upgrading. A lot rests on the imminent release of the iPhone 5.

If customers start to be tempted by other smartphones, and Apple has to slash prices as a result, then it - and its shareholders - will have a big problem.

Seen in that light, Friday’s court ruling has hardly made Apple stronger. It may have scored a brief victory in the smartphone wars, but sooner or later, the danger is that competition and consumers will force down prices.

Even if Samsung fails to overturn the ruling, it only applies to the US market in any case. And it doesn’t even apply to Samsung’s latest popular model - the Galaxy SIII.

Apple’s problem is that together, Samsung and Google’s Android operating system allow people to buy phones that do a lot of what the iPhone does for a lot less.

In Asia for example, lots of people can’t afford iPhones. But mobile phone makers can use Android to give them cheap smartphones. This is why the Android operating system is on 60% of the world’s smartphones right now.

And other phones increasingly have features that make them more attractive than the iPhone in their own right. Samsung and HTC make phones with bigger screens and replacement batteries. They don’t tie customers into their software either (unlike iTunes). Throw in the fact that these phones are cheaper than the iPhone, and it looks like Apple’s moat has lots of leaks.

^ None of this article makes very much sense, to be honest.

Apple's profits on the iPhone are too high, but at the same time, it is by their choosing. If they decided it makes sense to slash profits to 10% (it's not more like 30 - 40%) - then they can do that. Overnight. It's not a weakness, it's a strength. They have that option. I think their current thinking is that unit numbers sold are largely supply constrained, not demand constrained, and as long as that's the case, they can't slash prices. If your problem is that you can't make enough phones, you don't want to stir up even more demand, obviously.

It is true that Apple's low price strategy is pretty weak. Even I would rather buy a new cheap phone than a 3 year old flagship model. And their older phones aren't cheap enough to really compete. It's also true that that's why Android is selling more units.

The legal shenanigans have very little impact on either companies bottom line. Apple shifting production from Samsung to other suppliers is going to have way more impact than that. Apple can't do that right now, they're too dependent, but that might change in the future.

And I believe that threat is why Samsung designed the SGS3 to look completely different from an iPhone; that's what Apple wanted, and I guess they got it. There's still blatant copying going on, but at least not on the form factor side. On some level it's always possible to copy and Samsung seems to have this ingrained in their DNA. Why does the S-voice user interface look 1:1 exactly like the SIRI user interface? Are they really unable to come up with their own stuff?

As for Apple needing to come up with something new quick - read the headline again. I don't think so.