Irish Newspaper Suspends Editor Over Topless Kate Photos

News_Editor

Irish newspaper suspends editor over topless Kate photos < br />

2012-09-18 18:24:35 GMT+7 (ICT)

DUBLIN, IRELAND (BNO NEWS) -- The editor of the Irish newspaper Daily Star was suspended on late Monday over his decision to re-publish topless photographs of Prince William's wife Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, while on holiday in France.

The tabloid newspaper published the controversial photographs in its editions in Ireland on Saturday, a day after the photographs were first published by French magazine Closer. But Irish Daily Star editor Mike O'Kane defended his decision to publish them, saying people wanted to know what the controversy was about.

"Independent Star Limited has suspended editor Michael O'Kane with immediate effect, pending an investigation into the circumstances that led to the Irish Daily Star re-publishing pages from the French magazine 'Closer', which contained images of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge," the newspaper's owner said in a brief statement on late Monday.

It added: "Independent Star Limited has no further comment pending conclusion of the joint investigation by the newspaper's shareholders."

Meanwhile, the royal family has initiated legal action to stop further publication of the photographs. "The incident is reminiscent of the worst excesses of the press and paparazzi during the life of Diana, Princess of Wales, and all the more upsetting to The Duke and Duchess for being so," a St. James Palace spokesperson said on Friday.

The spokesperson, who described the couple as 'hugely saddened' by the publication of the photos, added: "Their Royal Highnesses had every expectation of privacy in the remote house. It is unthinkable that anyone should take such photographs, let alone publish them."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-09-18

It can be assumed that also Ireland has some kind of privacy law and that the photographs were taken in violation of such law, ie Prince William and his wife had not given permission for these photos nor were they aware that they were being taken. This leads to the conclusion that the publication of the photos in the Irish publication Daily Star constitutes a criminal act under Irish law.

• Like 1

If there wasn't a market for this shit, there wouldn't be paparazzi. Basically there is a large, slavering audience of low rent chavs out there that lap this stuff up, they're the same people that slow down near a car accident to rubber neck.

• Like 2

The editors and the cameramen deserve to be stalked themselves. See how soon they start banging on about invasion of privacy, Oh add the dick Silvio Berlusconi to the list. Apparently he thinks it's alright to invade someones privacy too.

William and Kate win French injunction over topless photos

Publisher of Closer to be fined EUR 10,000 a day if it republishes paparazzi shots of the duchess sunbathing topless

Lisa O'Carroll and Caroline Davies

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 18 September 2012 13.41 BST

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have won an injunction in a French court preventing the celebrity magazine Closer from publishing further paparazzi shots of the duchess sunbathing topless.

Mondadori France, Closer's publishing company, will be fined ¤10,000 (£8,000) a day if it publishes any more photographs or transmits them to any third party via email or any other means following Tuesday's judgment.

Mondadori, owned by the former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, will also have to pay ¤2,000 towards legal fees as part of the ruling following a civil action.

Read more: http://www.guardian....-topless-photos

I don't think she was walking down the street with em hanging out now was she. Private estate, private house in a country with privacy laws.

This is the point, I believe. I read in a British paper, the Guardian, that under French law it is a criminal offence to photograph somebody in a private place without his/her knowledge. The villa is in a secluded place in a forest. The photographer was about 1000 yards form the villa, on a road on the other side of a valley. The lawyers for the prince and the duchess will argue that while it was possible to see the building from that distance, it was not possible to see the occupants on the balcony with the naked eye, nor was it possible for them to be aware of the photographer at that distance, who was anyway hiding behind bushes or trees.

In the photo below, the red arrow points to the villa in the background. The street in the foreground is the spot where the photographer set up his equipment and took the photos.

post-88861-0-87437300-1348086658_thumb.j

It can be assumed that also Ireland has some kind of privacy law and that the photographs were taken in violation of such law, ie Prince William and his wife had not given permission for these photos nor were they aware that they were being taken. This leads to the conclusion that the publication of the photos in the Irish publication Daily Star constitutes a criminal act under Irish law.

Ireland doesn't have any privacy laws but is thinking of introducing them on the back of the furore over what are, after all, only a pair of tits. The man who owns half the Irish Daily Star and who has threatened to shut it down also owns the British Daily Star which publishes, every day, more baps per square inch than you can shake a stick at. Can anyone say 'hypocrite'?

Edited by endure

I don't think she was walking down the street with em hanging out now was she. Private estate, private house in a country with privacy laws.

This is the point, I believe. I read in a British paper, the Guardian, that under French law it is a criminal offence to photograph somebody in a private place without his/her knowledge. The villa is in a secluded place in a forest. The photographer was about 1000 yards form the villa, on a road on the other side of a valley. The lawyers for the prince and the duchess will argue that while it was possible to see the building from that distance, it was not possible to see the occupants on the balcony with the naked eye, nor was it possible for them to be aware of the photographer at that distance, who was anyway hiding behind bushes or trees.

In the photo below, the red arrow points to the villa in the background. The street in the foreground is the spot where the photographer set up his equipment and took the photos.

That begs the question - have they never heard of telephoto lenses?

No-one in public life is immune - and her husband, of all people, should know better.

Ireland doesn't have any privacy laws but is thinking of introducing them on the back of the furore over what are, after all, only a pair of tits. The man who owns half the Irish Daily Star and who has threatened to shut it down also owns the British Daily Star which publishes, every day, more baps per square inch than you can shake a stick at. Can anyone say 'hypocrite'?

It is a bit classic isn't it. But in fairness, most of the birds baring all in his publications are quite happy to flash the gash for the cash.

How paparazzi get pics that make royals snap

(with video)

September 18, 2012

Megan Levy, Jonathan Swan

The photos are understood to have been taken using powerful, long lenses by photographers standing on a public road or footpath at a distance estimated at between 800 metres and 1.3 kilometres away.

Herald photographer Ben Rushton climbed to the top of Marks Park yesterday morning and zoomed in on Gabriella Duddy lying on her towel at the far end of the beach.

To take her picture he required camera equipment worth almost $20,000. He used a Canon EOS-1D Mark IV camera, a 600 millimetre lens and a 2x converter to double the magnification of the lens. He shot with a 1/1000th second shutter speed to steady the image, which shook under the extreme magnification. The lens was so heavy Rushton mounted it on a tripod to stop it snapping off the camera.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz271q8ppZj

That begs the question - have they never heard of telephoto lenses?

No-one in public life is immune - and her husband, of all people, should know better.

They were quite some distance from any public area, presume they really believed they could not be seen, probably the reason they went there in the first place, it is no secret they want to start a family, and given their life style they do not get much opportunity.

Bet the photographer and those editors would soon go suing any publication if they were to print picture of them going up stares with a hostess in Pattaya's Soi 6.

I gotta say going topless is not the norm for British women, even when on holiday.

As someone married to an 'alleged' royal, bit of a silly risk.

What is it with some women topless sunbathing?

If it was a Thai women I could understand the furor. But a Farang who really cares? I mean look at the Russian babes in Pattaya. Once you seen one pair of Farang baps you've seen them all.

In Ireland anything to stick it to the Royals would be Very welcome by the Majority. The World is going crazy when an Irish paper sack,s their Editor over this Pap.

uhm, about 50-100 people protested during the queens visit to dublin, i know ireland is small but that doesn't sound like a majority to me.

I gotta say going topless is not the norm for British women, even when on holiday.

If it was a Thai women I could understand the furor. But a Farang who really cares? I mean look at the Russian babes in Pattaya. Once you seen one pair of Farang baps you've seen them all.

I hope people don't use Kate Middleton's non existent "Baps" as a yardstick for "Farang Baps"! As for the so called Russian Babes in Pattaya, whilst i agree the occasional one is attractive, the vast majority that i encounter on the baht bus to Jomtien wouldn't look out of place in the Russian shot putting team! Also personal hygiene would appear to be an alien concept to them as well. BTW, an anagram of Kate Middleton is 'Naked Tit Model'. smile.png

I hope people don't use Kate Middleton's non existent "Baps" as a yardstick for "Farang Baps"! As for the so called Russian Babes in Pattaya, whilst i agree the occasional one is attractive, the vast majority that i encounter on the baht bus to Jomtien wouldn't look out of place in the Russian shot putting team! Also personal hygiene would appear to be an alien concept to them as well. BTW, an anagram of Kate Middleton is 'Naked Tit Model'. smile.png

They don't bat their baps on the bus!!! No no no. The beach man, the beach. The Russian ladies go as topless as a British Royas at the beack.smile.png