Taxi Driver Dies During Fight With Sukhumvit Mcdonald's Delivery Driver

webfact

Taxi driver dies during fight with Sukhumvit McDonald's delivery driver

By Coconuts Bangkok

sh.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver died during an altercation with a motorcycle delivery driver for the McDonald’s at Sukhumvit 17 after they crashed into each other last Sunday.

Taxi driver Mr. Suriya Sipumkan, 45, collided with the McDonald’s employee’s motorbike while turning onto Sukhumvit Soi 17 and both men began to fight in the Robinson’s parking lot.

Suriya was hit many times in the face, but ran back to his cab to get a knuckle-duster. He collapsed and died as he was running back to attack the driver, Daily News reported. Many taxi drivers gathered around to help Suriya, but he had already passed away.

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...elivery-driver/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2012-09-25

footer_n.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading the story, the 20yr gets charged for causing bodily harm - was he the only one in the fight? guess they can't charge the dead guy for going to his knuckle dusters for premeditated assault with a deadly weapon, if he didnt have a heart attack.

• Like 1

Having been nearly knocked down by taxis intruding trying to push into traffic on my bike, I know that feeling. Taxi most likely collided and the young guy may have been the victim despite it usually takes two to tango. Motorbikes can swerve easily and usually do. My bet is the taxi guy got out - tried a few hits, got more than he deserved and went back for the weapon. Either way, as it is not reported he was hit in his taxi, he took the fight to the bike rider. Or so it seems.

Delivery guy... may have been a student, certainly not a mafia type. Same can't be said for your average upper-sukumvit taxi driver. Outside my condo in soi 11 they just sit their all day. I'd rather walk or take a motorcycle than having to deal with these guys who will never use a meter.

• Like 1

Without any comment about who was wrong and who was wronger, there is an overriding consideration for any expat to note. The concept of "fair" is a totally foreign notion, ESPECIALLY when it comes to fighting. I have tried unsuccessfully for more than ten years to learn the Thai word for "fair" and have finally given up. It is not in the language, it is not in the culture, and it is NEVER present in a fight. Do not ever expect a fair fight from a Thai, nor ever expect to motivate a Thai to do something because it is fair. I'm not saying this is good or bad. I'm just saying that this is the way it is.

The Thai word for fair is "yut thi tum." You really should change your screen name from "inquisitive" to "ignorant." More accurate that way.

You could also try "bpentham" or even easier the Thai pronunciation of "fair". Yes, the concept exists!

I have tried unsuccessfully for more than ten years to learn the Thai word for "fair" and have finally given up. It is not in the language, it is not in the culture, and it is NEVER present in a fight.

The word you're looking for is ยุติธรรม (yutitaam)

I cannot help thinking what would happen if it was a Farang riding the motorbike. Probably the line "...Many taxi drivers gathered around to help Suriya, but he had already passed away..." would have run like "..Many taxi drivers gathered around the Farang wanting him to pass away..."ermm.gif

Sadly, yet more evidence of how little the Thais value human life. All farang visitors--especially males, since, you must realize, 99% of Thai working class males LIVE for an excuse to pummel you to death--take warning.

What an absurd statement ! We know life is cheap here but accidental road rages happen anywhere in the world even in the so called "civilized" countries. Thai working and not working class males might disagree with you: they have much more to earn by ripping off than killing Farangs.

Sadly, yet more evidence of how little the Thais value human life. All farang visitors--especially males, since, you must realize, 99% of Thai working class males LIVE for an excuse to pummel you to death--take warning.

I agree with you about Thais having little value of human life, everyone from the rice farmer/taxi driver, to the top government and police officials. 13 thousand fatalities on Thai roads every year proves that, but I do not agree that 99% of working Thai males want to kill Farangs, in fact nowhere near that. I have lived in Thailand, spent a lot of time in Bangkok and Pattaya, and never felt threatened. I believe that if you mind your own business and don't interfere in any way with other Thais, you will be about 99% safe here, not like any city you could name in the UK, particularly Glasgow.

Without any comment about who was wrong and who was wronger, there is an overriding consideration for any expat to note. The concept of "fair" is a totally foreign notion, ESPECIALLY when it comes to fighting. I have tried unsuccessfully for more than ten years to learn the Thai word for "fair" and have finally given up. It is not in the language, it is not in the culture, and it is NEVER present in a fight. Do not ever expect a fair fight from a Thai, nor ever expect to motivate a Thai to do something because it is fair. I'm not saying this is good or bad. I'm just saying that this is the way it is.

The Thai word for fair is "yut thi tum." You really should change your screen name from "inquisitive" to "ignorant." More accurate that way.

I think you are the ignorant one here Berkshire. What "inquisitive" says is 100% true, but I stand by what I have said, if you don't get involved with Thais in any way,etc arguing about being overcharged in a bar, then you will be about 99% safe.
  • Like 2

Why am I not surprised at this sort of behavior? I do not like Thais when they behave this way and I certainly feel no need to express sympathy for two idiots, whatever the outcome. The idiot who is dead had 45 years to make his own choices, and he ends up dead trying to kill someone over the results of his idiotic driving skills.

• Like 2