Center Condo, South Pattaya

Fordtech

I must agree with smedly.

Okay I haven't been there recently but when I rented there before it was crap. No tiles on the alleyways only worn out left out patches, almost noise every weekday from contractors renovating a unit.

Location is ok but in the end I was feed up with the always very dirty/congested south patt road.

I wonder how it looks inside now, must be one of patts. oldest condo buildings by now.

I must agree with smedly.

Okay I haven't been there recently but when I rented there before it was crap. No tiles on the alleyways only worn out left out patches, almost noise every weekday from contractors renovating a unit.

Location is ok but in the end I was feed up with the always very dirty/congested south patt road.

I wonder how it looks inside now, must be one of patts. oldest condo buildings by now.

Same same! I rented there also.

It's a very large building with a huge number of condos and today you would be very unlikely to find a Thai who would buy one of them because they honestly think it's jinxed! One day I was chatting with the ladies in the Bualuang securities office on the ground floor and they told me that because there have been so many deaths in there with old guys reaching their expiry date and through a few suicides they reckon the place is full of ghosts.! They wouldn't touch it with a barge pole they told me

Edited by Asiantravel

It is next door to a crematorium.

Smoke from the crematorium and noise from the Wat has been a recurring issue. However, many a condo owner soundproofs his condo and runs his aircon 24/7, so doesn't have to be an issue necessarily. It's near Tukcom, the fresh market, the Soi Buaikow market, the Soi Yensabai gay area, and Walking Street. It's on the baht bus route.

And Tukcom has a Starbucks, for all you Starbucks fans. :)

Center Condo is ancient, has a great location and some of the renovated apartments are very nice, but I think that's all the nice things to say about it. The building is not in a very good state, The hall looks like old Soviet Russia, and when I lived there many years ago usually only one lift was working at the time. Perhaps check out the new condos on the soi behind Royal Twins hotel (2nd Road), with practically equally good location.

I hate to contradict those knowledgeable TV contributors who rented a room in Center Condo

for one week 8 years ago, BUT...

About two years ago a new condo committee took over the building and immediately replaced

management and security with top-notch professionals. Since then, corridors have been upgraded

(no more loose tiles), lighting has been revamped, three new Otis elevators have been installed,

the lobby has been remodeled to include a ramp for the disabled, walkways and driveways have

been resurfaced, parking areas have been improved, security cameras have been installed

throughout, TV cable and telephone system have been upgraded.

The committee hasn't done anything about the adjacent crematorium--but that did not stop the

purchase of three condos by Thai buyers last week within a day of the units hitting the market.

Notice there are no ads in any of the classified sections (TV, Pattaya Today, Pattaya Mail, etc.)

There's a reason for that: Units in Center Condo are in high demand--both rental and purchase.

The committee also hasn't done anything about congestion of Pattaya Tai or the convenient Soi

Buakhao market, Friendship Supermarket, TukCom, the fresh-market--all within a block or so,

and front-door vans to Bangkok every 10 minutes for 100 baht or songthaews to everywhere in

Pattaya. Meanwhile, the building remains two blocks from Walking Street and Beach Road--and

offers some of the best views of Pattaya and the sea. Did I mention a lovely swimming pool

replete with bar/restaurant? Did I mention the billiard parlor? Hairdresser? Two restaurants?

Two laundry shops? Internet shop? All on the premises.

OK, guys, now get on with your bad-mouthing the place or complaining about something else.

And there you have it. As always, before buying, rent for a while and scope out the whole situation. Center is a viable choice for some buyers. Just depends on personal preferences.

To my way of thinking, Center Condo is the best of the lot. As the man said, location, location, and location, and anyone who complains about the crematorium obviously hasn,s been there for many years. Admittedly there was a bit of inconvenience, that certain fragrance, bits of people lying on any flat surface, but since modernisation of the process it is now completely smoke and ash free. You really wouldn,t know it was there, and the ability to walk just about anywhere (that matters) within a few minutes outweighs any and all of the outdated comments on the building. The new management has done wonders, all the lifts work, great swimming pool, restaurants, laundries etc, etc, and all right in the centre of P,ville.

• Like 2

I hate to contradict those knowledgeable TV contributors who rented a room in Center Condo

About two years ago a new condo committee took over the building and immediately replaced

management and security with top-notch professionals. Since then, corridors have been upgraded

(no more loose tiles), lighting has been revamped, three new Otis elevators have been installed,

the lobby has been remodeled to include a ramp for the disabled, walkways and driveways have

been resurfaced, parking areas have been improved, security cameras have been installed

The committee hasn't done anything about the adjacent crematorium--but that did not stop the

purchase of three condos by Thai buyers last week within a day of the units hitting the market.

Notice there are no ads in any of the classified sections (TV, Pattaya Today, Pattaya Mail, etc.)

There's a reason for that: Units in Center Condo are in high demand--both rental and purchase.

The committee also hasn't done anything about congestion of Pattaya Tai or the convenient Soi

Buakhao market, Friendship Supermarket, TukCom, the fresh-market--all within a block or so,

and front-door vans to Bangkok every 10 minutes for 100 baht or songthaews to everywhere in

Pattaya. Meanwhile, the building remains two blocks from Walking Street and Beach Road--and

offers some of the best views of Pattaya and the sea. Did I mention a lovely swimming pool

replete with bar/restaurant? Did I mention the billiard parlor? Hairdresser? Two restaurants?

OK, guys, now get on with your bad-mouthing the place or complaining about something else.

my experience of center condo is not from 8 years ago it is from less than a year ago, I personally didn't mention corridors lighting lifts or any other general infrastructure, my experience was based on 3 people I know staying there - what they were paying in rent and what they got for that, my opinion remains the same i.e. they were paying too much for what they had, that is not to say that there may be units that have been modernised and refurbished but that was not the case for my friends, they do not rent there now because of this

BTW what exactly is your interest here, I declared why I have the opinion I do and you didn't, I'll assume you have a vested interest of some sort either an owner or part of the committee or both - that being the case either way you're hardly going to come on here and say anything different, I hove no such interest either way and am posting from a totally neutral point of view

my experience of center condo is not from 8 years ago it is from less than a year ago, I personally didn't mention corridors lighting lifts or any other general infrastructure, my experience was based on 3 people I know staying there - what they were paying in rent and what they got for that, my opinion remains the same i.e. they were paying too much for what they had, that is not to say that there may be units that have been modernised and refurbished but that was not the case for my friends, they do not rent there now because of this

BTW what exactly is your interest here, I declared why I have the opinion I do and you didn't, I'll assume you have a vested interest of some sort either an owner or part of the committee or both - that being the case either way you're hardly going to come on here and say anything different, I hove no such interest either way and am posting from a totally neutral point of view

" three condos by Thai buyers last week within a day of the units hitting the market."

They were queueing up all the way down south Pattaya Road

giggle.gif

• Like 1

" three condos by Thai buyers last week within a day of the units hitting the market."

They were queueing up all the way down south Pattaya Road

giggle.gif

Yes, but you see there is a vast CONDO GLUT in DYING PATTAYA wherein NONE of all these OVERPRICED, RIPOFF condos can ever be sold. If 3 in the same building were sold in a week to NON-RUSSIANS, that's nothing short of a miracle!

i was in Edingburgh a couple a years ago. In the blue sky there was only a small cloud. My friend said to me "it's not a cloud it's the smoke from Glasgow":) They are cremating people just beside the center Condo at the big Wat in the center of the city! What are the owners suppose they say to an interested buyer" it's not a cloud it's the smoke from a funeral" ? Where I come from these things are made way out of the city limits. I don't know what kind of pollution a human body produces, but I just think it's unpleasant. By saying that I'm not going to buy an apartment in Center Condo...

• 8 months later...

They are cremating people just beside the center Condo at the big Wat in the center of the city! What are the owners suppose they say to an interested buyer" it's not a cloud it's the smoke from a funeral" ?

Why do so many people like to talk about things they know nothing about ?! As you say the Wat (Chaimongkong) is an important one for Thai people in Pattaya, but result is that incineration here is very expensive! and that weeks with more than 2 or 3 incinerations must be very rare! Do you really think it's enough for a permanent fog around the condo? Ridiculous!

BTW I suppose the crematorium use rather modern filtering system because the smoke it generate is very tiny and very white. A few meters after the chimney you already didn't see the smoke anymore, and the frequent small wind from the sea would help anyway to quickly disperse it even if the smoke was more important. More, the chimney is rather low and separated from the condo by a multi-storeys car park.

I bought in Center Condo a few years ago and I certainly not regret this purchase. I have no problem with this supposed smoke or the many ghosts wink.png . I know I will have no problem if I want sell: several owners who have many apartments for rent in this condos are always looking for more to buy wink.png

• Like 1

Anyone know how much the annual maintenance and or sinking fund is?

and the electric & water rates?

Thanks.

Depends upon the size of your condo. Mine is 54 sq mtrs and my annual maintenance is around 5,400 THB per year, monthly water is based upon your usage and in my case averages around 300 THB per month. Electricity is measured at around 7 Baht per unit, if purchased from the condo management, and regular Thai rates if you have your own meter installed. Lately they have tried to increase the maintenance amount since the current rate does not cover the current costs but have been thwarted by the Thai group that owns multiple condos and a annual maintenance increase would require a 2/3rds positive vote. They have worked around this by having a special assessment for the last two years of around 6,000 THB (only requires a simple majority)

I recently visited a friend living in center condo. When I went there all the electricity was off and I needed to use the stairs as my friend is on a high floor. Each floor seems to have an area for rubbish, which was stacked at or near the stairwell and the stink was awful .On one floor I spotted a large rat scurrying around. My impression of the building is it is very old and many of the floors remind me of something from a prison as they are depressing. When I eventually got to my friend's place he told me that the electric went off often especially when it rained heavily. He was looking for somewhere new. He said that the condo management were rude and unpleasant.And he said most of his neighbors are drunks or seem to have emotional or financial issues and in recent times on his floor alone 2 people have attempted suicide and one was successful by jumping from a balcony.

Edited by Zodiac

I recently visited a friend living in center condo. When I went there all the electricity was off and I needed to use the stairs as my friend is on a high floor. Each floor seems to have an area for rubbish, which was stacked at or near the stairwell and the stink was awful .On one floor I spotted a large rat scurrying around. My impression of the building is it is very old and many of the floors remind me of something from a prison as they are depressing. When I eventually got to my friend's place he told me that the electric went off often especially when it rained heavily. He was looking for somewhere new. He said that the condo management were rude and unpleasant.And he said most of his neighbors are drunks or seem to have emotional or financial issues and in recent times on his floor alone 2 people have attempted suicide and one was successful by jumping from a balcony.

I have seen Center Condo in the news more than a few times over the years and mostly for the wrong reasons ie jumpers

It doesnt really entice me as a desirable place to live.

I have no vested interest in the place ,and had two friends who lived there(and died there) as a family man i wouldn't touch it with a barge pole ,but if i was single ,out all the time and used it as a convenient place to bring girls back to ,its just the job , i also wouldn't buy a condo there just rent as its a little past its sell by date., but again as i said nice and central for the man about townwub.png

To my way of thinking, Center Condo is the best of the lot. As the man said, location, location, and location, and anyone who complains about the crematorium obviously hasn,s been there for many years. Admittedly there was a bit of inconvenience, that certain fragrance, bits of people lying on any flat surface, but since modernisation of the process it is now completely smoke and ash free. You really wouldn,t know it was there, and the ability to walk just about anywhere (that matters) within a few minutes outweighs any and all of the outdated comments on the building. The new management has done wonders, all the lifts work, great swimming pool, restaurants, laundries etc, etc, and all right in the centre of P,ville.

When I lived there for 1.5 years I had no problems from the wat as I was on the back end, but a mate that lived overlooking the wat always complained about the noise during the cremation ceremonies. So maybe they've sorted out the smoke pollution but I doubt they sorted out the chanting?

And I don't recognise the place from the bad descriptions of it on here.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I love Center Condo, best deal best location in town, great security, they help you if you're hands are full of shopping bags (my condo security in America just sat on their ass all day and didn't evne help you with the door no matter what). A 7 minute walk to walking street, Topps and Tukom across the street, the outdoor markets opposite the Watt and Soi Buahakah market every Tuesday Friday. Delivery service from Tesco for all my heavy items like jugs of milk, water and juice (with my back injury a real godsend to have my groceries delivery right to my door for 60 baht). There are some very low end condos here that have never been updated and some high end condos where the owners have put in a lot of update upscale furnishings. I have a mid range partially updated condo I pay 3 months at a time for at 8000 a month with quite neighbors no hassles and a nice balcony breeze. They have updated the pool and all the ceilings, the manager is doing a great job. My landlord is a real nice Thai lady who works her ass off and she much better than trying to rent from the lobby office, she is one floor up on M level. Feel free to contact me if you would like more info and I'll put you in touch with my landlady. In fact I just saw a for rent sign on a condo down the hall if anyone wants the number. The condo is constantly being updated and I don't know what else they can do except put in a Gogo bar and bowling alley? PS: you have to be careful about the back side of the building, there is a noise problem form adjoining Soi neighbors and the twit head maintenance man put his repair shop back there and does freelance work for residents sawing tile and making noise and the management lets him get away with this BS. So if you look at the East wing make sure you're condo is at least 12 or more stories high.

Edited by rainwater
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2012 at 9:12 AM, PaulDee said:

Nice point about management committee. 

• Like 1