The Intellectual Aspects Of Living In Thailand

IntellectualFarang

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I study online........... a lot. its difficult to get a good book.

i won't let myself get so relaxed here that I just don't care anymore. I know............. when in Rome, do as the romans do................... but I can't just stop.

its important to self improve by any means possible.

be careful out there. wai.gif

• Like 1

Reading ...... that's about it.

What do you consider intellectual pursuits?

Thank you.

Can I just repeat that the title for this subject should be

The Intellectual Aspects of Living in Thailand.

Do you know how to change this?

Yes, I love reading, too. I'm currently reading James Ellroy. He writes very well and his stories are interesting.

There is a research group i attend which is frequented by many famous historians/thinkers/reporters.

Then i attend a more populist Royal Society-type club.

I read insatiably. Most of the old great works are online . If not, Thammasat , Chula or Mahidol normally have the books.

I write articles published in magazines or peer reviewed journals.

And i associate with other intelligent people.

Very satisfying life here, since the pursuit of understanding is very cheap here. All books can be photocopied ; all clubs are free; journal articles are free; and you have easy access to the educated elite.

• Like 1

There is a research group i attend which is frequented by many famous historians/thinkers/reporters.

Then i attend a more populist Royal Society-type club.

I read insatiably. Most of the old great works are online . If not, Thammasat , Chula or Mahidol normally have the books.

I write articles published in magazines or peer reviewed journals.

And i associate with other intelligent people.

Very satisfying life here, since the pursuit of understanding is very cheap here. All books can be photocopied ; all clubs are free; journal articles are free; and you have easy access to the educated elite.

That was very nice to read.

Thank you very much for sharing.

I wish you well with your writing.

Would you be kind enough to share any links?

Reading ...... that's about it.

What do you consider intellectual pursuits?

Thank you.

Can I just repeat that the title for this subject should be

The Intellectual Aspects of Living in Thailand.

Do you know how to change this?

Yes, I love reading, too. I'm currently reading James Ellroy. He writes very well and his stories are interesting.

Intellectual aspects hmmm, could start with learning to change a title thread.

I like to think that I've been intellectual all my life but what value does it really give to our lives in our advanced age? For those of us that have Thai partners, intellectualism (if there's such a word) flies right over their heads. What's the point?

I think it's more important nowadays to just sit back, relax with a G&T or whisky soda and watch the little 'uns play and village life go by. I'm counting the days till the end of the world for me but in the meantime, I'm maximising my life with rides on my Versys / PCX, playing golf, the occasion happy ending...... what more can a man want?

I should mention of course that this is only possible when you have sufficient funds to not worry how much the other half is spending.

• Like 1

I enjoy the art of observation. Not very good at it but still practicing!

For instance, the style of the OP's writing reminds me of someone but I don't remember Who.

May have to see the Doctor about that.............thumbsup.gif

Rats! You beat me to it.... I was busy Googling "regeneration"....a sort of Pseudo-reincarnation????

Edited by Rob8891
  • Like 2

I like to think that I've been intellectual all my life but what value does it really give to our lives in our advanced age? For those of us that have Thai partners, intellectualism (if there's such a word) flies right over their heads. What's the point?

I think it's more important nowadays to just sit back, relax with a G&T or whisky soda and watch the little 'uns play and village life go by. I'm counting the days till the end of the world for me but in the meantime, I'm maximising my life with rides on my Versys / PCX, playing golf, the occasion happy ending...... what more can a man want?

I should mention of course that this is only possible when you have sufficient funds to not worry how much the other half is spending.

Thank you.

I enjoyed reading your comments.

Enjoy your day tomorrow.

First off OP, perhaps you may want to reconsider your sign in name - for your own sanity. With only 30 posts to date, you won't be losing much.

As to your initial inquiry, this is how I do it.

Wake up a 3am and spend an hour or so on TV expelling all the subconscious musings accumulated during sleep. You are in the middle of one now.

Later I shall make a 2nd espresso before adjourning with the UBC Guide to my hole in the flooring for some expelling of a different nature. After that I will give some serious thought about whether to head down to the RBSC for a round of golf this afternoon or just skip it and head straight to the British Club for some enlightening conversation this evening while sporting my latest smoking jacket. For some less enlightening conversation, depending on my mood, I may head over to the Londoner instead, perhaps down the street further post pint or two for some head of a different variety - but I digress.

On Saturday, with hangover in tow, I shall take my sons to a mall to join the herds of sheep in search of air con and that thing called - noise. You know the type, where you can barely get a word in because it so loud, yet stimulating at the same time. If I feel the need to look intelligent I may drag along a copy of Harry Potter to sit in Starbucks with while sipping on a triple machioca, wasabi infused green tea with a lashing of pumpkin pie on the side. This can take up to two hours to finish depending on how much time you need to kill. The skill is in the the thought process and keeping a balance between looking like someone who has nothing better to do than pretend to read in some coffee shop and someone who is deep in thought about world politics or how does popcorn really pop?

On Sunday, this is my fun day, my i dont want to run day because Monday, alas Monday is bound to be Manic and depressive all rolled into one - if past history is anything to go on.

In conclusion, your quest of intellectual stimulation in Bangkok will be a long one but a journey that will no doubt open your eyes, if not your mind. Put down that book about nothing and walk on the wild side - look up from the sidewalk and smell the roses, if there were roses but now there are only sewers and rats, but you get my point?

Question, when you find intellectual conversation how do you recognize it? If you lose a debate do you concede it was stimulating? They say great minds think alike, somebody said that, I didn't, sounds rather boring to me. Two guys nodding their heads in agreement all the time.

Have a wonderful Friday and don't worry if your search is fruitless on day one of your journey. What you are looking for is not easy to come by anywhere, not to mention on TV, Bangkok or Earth for that matter. Keep looking. One day you will wake up a say this is not my beautiful house, that is not my beautiful wife, what have I done?

Thank you very much James.

That was interesting.

Do you really belong to RBSC? I've never though of joining.

What do you in the British Club? I honestly don't know about these places.

I'm afraid your questions are now too intellectual for me. I have to go to sleep. I've been up much too long.

It sounds as though you have a very full life. I hope you're happy.

First off OP, perhaps you may want to reconsider your sign in name - for your own sanity. With only 30 posts to date, you won't be losing much.

As to your initial inquiry, this is how I do it.

Wake up a 3am and spend an hour or so on TV expelling all the subconscious musings accumulated during sleep. You are in the middle of one now.

Later I shall make a 2nd espresso before adjourning with the UBC Guide to my hole in the flooring for some expelling of a different nature. After that I will give some serious thought about whether to head down to the RBSC for a round of golf this afternoon or just skip it and head straight to the British Club for some enlightening conversation this evening while sporting my latest smoking jacket. For some less enlightening conversation, depending on my mood, I may head over to the Londoner instead, perhaps down the street further post pint or two for some head of a different variety - but I digress.

On Saturday, with hangover in tow, I shall take my sons to a mall to join the herds of sheep in search of air con and that thing called - noise. You know the type, where you can barely get a word in because it so loud, yet stimulating at the same time. If I feel the need to look intelligent I may drag along a copy of Harry Potter to sit in Starbucks with while sipping on a triple machioca, wasabi infused green tea with a lashing of pumpkin pie on the side. This can take up to two hours to finish depending on how much time you need to kill. The skill is in the the thought process and keeping a balance between looking like someone who has nothing better to do than pretend to read in some coffee shop and someone who is deep in thought about world politics or how does popcorn really pop?

On Sunday, this is my fun day, my i dont want to run day because Monday, alas Monday is bound to be Manic and depressive all rolled into one - if past history is anything to go on.

In conclusion, your quest of intellectual stimulation in Bangkok will be a long one but a journey that will no doubt open your eyes, if not your mind. Put down that book about nothing and walk on the wild side - look up from the sidewalk and smell the roses, if there were roses but now there are only sewers and rats, but you get my point?

Question, when you find intellectual conversation how do you recognize it? If you lose a debate do you concede it was stimulating? They say great minds think alike, somebody said that, I didn't, sounds rather boring to me. Two guys nodding their heads in agreement all the time.

Have a wonderful Friday and don't worry if your search is fruitless on day one of your journey. What you are looking for is not easy to come by anywhere, not to mention on TV, Bangkok or Earth for that matter. Keep looking. One day you will wake up a say this is not my beautiful house, that is not my beautiful wife, what have I done?

Thank you very much James.

That was interesting.

Do you really belong to RBSC? I've never though of joining.

What do you in the British Club? I honestly don't know about these places.

I'm afraid your questions are now too intellectual for me. I have to go to sleep. I've been up much too long.

It sounds as though you have a very full life. I hope you're happy.

I went to the RBSC once, but either I didnt have enough money to join or they didnt appreciate flip flops = i was thrown out. What do I do at the British Club? I sit in the bar and look out at the window and frown at the farangs with their thai wives in tight bathing suits playing silly in the pool - how dare they bring disrespect and envy to such an esteemed place. I have a very full life thanks, and am happy as I ever have been = thanks to the wife and kids.

Not that intellectually stimulating to go 'ga ga goo goo' to my 3 month old, but when my 3 month old says something like 'daddy, what the hell is that stupid man thinking' I canr find the words to say 'son, dont swear at that asshol_e'.

Have a good sleep, wake up tomorrow and think about this. If it rains again does that mean it rained yesterday? Will it rain tomorrow and the day after? Do I have to wear brown shoes while having a curry? Tough decisions..

Edited by bkkjames