2013 Platinum Px250 Enduro 67,000B

NomadJoe

Faults aren't always life threatening, but it would be nice if they spent a few more minutes cleaning up the casting moulds, or the paint gun, or a few seconds welding together 2 parts cleanly.

post-63954-0-81988200-1357308872_thumb.p

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok always had a bit of a problem with back break from new,it never really done anything probably still some packing oil in there from manufacturing it?

took it off and it was glazed, changed the pads for some yamaha pads ,now its superb only 380 baht fitted.

And have sauced myself a really nice set of noble's (IRC's the same make fitted to Honda crf) slightly more aggressive than the Honda tire leaning more to off road (IRC Enduro's) ,from mr PoP Bike rentals , Chiang mai,,thank you mr PoP for ordering them from BKK (special order 17in) they are surprisingly very good on this shiny oily tarmac here in Chiang mai,

will take photo and upload when i get chance.

Edited by DEANEBURNE

The PX250 is a nice looking bike and at that price worthy of an enquiry.

We live north of Kanchanaburi and after looking at the Platinum website it lists a dealer nearby in Suphanburi.

Wifey has just got off the phone with him after a long chat.

Basically he gave up the dealership a while ago. His issue was too many warantee claims and not being able to get replacement parts. His final advice was not to buy due to the poor quality.

I wanted to give it a chance but if this is what an ex dealer is saying I'll take notice and look elsewhere I think.

^

and therein lies the problem , people talk about these companies need to det up a dealer network ,the problem is people don't want to sell these bikes because of too many comebacks ,certain shops will sell them for a while then after so many complaints the shops are not interested in selling them anymore,as deaneburn is finding out with the dealer putting the phone down on him twice

Edited by taninthai

We live north of Kanchanaburi and after looking at the Platinum website it lists a dealer nearby in Suphanburi.

Basically he gave up the dealership a while ago. His issue was too many warantee claims and not being able to get replacement parts. His final advice was not to buy due to the poor quality.

I wanted to give it a chance but if this is what an ex dealer is saying I'll take notice and look elsewhere I think.

I guess most people are aware that there is a risk in buying such cheap bike. The dealers want to sell. Most dealers don't like to help in repairs or warranty claims. They don't like to order parts from Bangkok. Its all too much hassle for them. And of course they blame the poor quality of the bikes then after they gave up selling them. But often they are simply to stupid and too lazy to order parts. I read a lot of such stories. Bikes standing at the dealers for months, while the dealer makes promises and excuses. Typical thai. One should not rely on thai dealers. Everyone knows that its better to do it yourself.

This is no excuse for poor quality of course. Speedometers should work, brakes should work, everything on the bike should work. A warranty claim should be the exception. I like it that now we have first hand information from an owner, not just speculations. If the PX250 isn't better than the PX175, than it will not sell. It is so easy. Other companies will be happy to produce better quality and sell their bikes for a low price. Let it be japanese or chinese. Thats how the market works.

@DEANEBURNE

There are basically two choices you have on th long run: Do it yourself or find a good mechanic. These bikes are easy to work on. If a dealer is not willing to help you there isn't much else you can do.

Hello all. Just got the px250 this morning. Nothing is not working yet (20km done :-)))). For shure it'not a honda or ktm but .ot the same price too. I wanted a cheap bike, that's it.

Had the tires changed at the shop strait away... Once back home noticed the chain was much too tight (feeling it when riding too). Do it yourself is the best way as I was doing when riding on tracks in europe. So yes the do it yourself is the best way and that with any brand imho.

Will report here when something breaks down or in a couple months if i'm still happy with it.

Have a good ride

I am sure Thai people even do not like to lose face by selling these bikes even if they make money:lol:

No parts or a long waiting time, lots of angry and lost customers especially on small towns. Who wants that?

It is funny as thai people does not even want to sell these and i never or rarely see thai people on chinese bikes so clearly they do not want to buy it too:D

Is it only us farang insistive on these bikes?

And the risk of not finding your dealer the next day? It is not worth the risk imho.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by loserlazer

Mr pop the bike rental in Chiang mai used to deal in platinum biles, first time he saw the badge Platinum he said no good,his honest opinion.

as you may know he has mainly Honda and Kawasaki for rent, he has over 100 bikes,

he said platinum no good make in china,

then i showed him the picture of PLATINUM MADE IN THAILAND side of engine,

he couldn't wait to jump on my bike ,little as he is he disappeared for a good 10 minuets , and when he came back said VERY GOOD

i think the more the Thais know and realize this is made in Thailand the more friendly the service will get and more Thais will buy

Edited by DEANEBURNE

Mr pop the bike rental in Chiang mai used to deal in platinum biles, first time he saw the badge Platinum he said no good,his honest opinion.

as you may know he has mainly Honda and Kawasaki for rent, he has over 100 bikes,

he couldn't wait to jump on my bike ,little as he is he disappeared for a good 10 minuets , and when he came back said VERY GOOD

i think the more the Thais know and realize this is made in Thailand the more friendly the service will get and more Thais will buy

If Tiger motorcycles are anything to go by Deane the Thais will shun Platinum. Tiger sales are abysmal and Thais just don`t care about Thai brands, which is strange for such an uber nationalist people.

If Tiger motorcycles are anything to go by Deane the Thais will shun Platinum. Tiger sales are abysmal and Thais just don`t care about Thai brands, which is strange for such an uber nationalist people.

I sold my Tiger to a Thai man and he was very happy. But OK, i made him a really fair price, because i lost my trust in the bike smile.png

If you look at the sales e.g. for fans, than its obvious that most Thai people prefer Hatari, a Thai brand. Its the best value for money. I guess if the cheap bikes would be cheaper more people would buy and accept them. They are too expensive, thats the main problem why you don't see many of them on the streets. They are only cheap if you compare them to japanese brands (made in Thailand). And the japanese brands (made in Thailand) are only cheap if you compare them to the prices in western countries, where everything is much too expensive smile.pngsad.pngsmile.png

I sold my Tiger to a Thai man and he was very happy. But OK, i made him a really fair price, because i lost my trust in the bike smile.png

If you look at the sales e.g. for fans, than its obvious that most Thai people prefer Hatari, a Thai brand. Its the best value for money. I guess if the cheap bikes would be cheaper more people would buy and accept them. They are too expensive, thats the main problem why you don't see many of them on the streets. They are only cheap if you compare them to japanese brands (made in Thailand). And the japanese brands (made in Thailand) are only cheap if you compare them to the prices in western countries, where everything is much too expensive smile.pngsad.pngsmile.png

We`re talking bikes here, you can discuss fans over in the Fan Forum smile.png . But joking aside, most Thais will buy a Honda because they trust the name and are willing to pay more than for the Tiger alternative.

We`re talking bikes here, you can discuss fans over in the Fan Forum smile.png . But joking aside, most Thais will buy a Honda because they trust the name and are willing to pay more than for the Tiger alternative.

This is an very interesting thought. Never heard this before. Should i agree or do you want to start a discussion about it?

tongue.png

Most thais and ferang would and do choose Honda scoopy/wave/click over a platinum/lifan nothing to do with price as the lifan is cheaper than some of the honda offerings they want quality and years of reliability ,people don't want to be taking a new bike back to the dealer every 5 minutes becausecthis or that don't work.

Look at the kawa ksr it's a great seller here and again more expensive than the platinum Thais no not to buy cheap as it costs you more in the lOng run ,no matter how many threads you start wanton it ain't gonna change for at least 5yeats minimum if ever

Talked to an Aussie guy here in CNX - he owns 5 bikes. One is a Platinum 200cc Enduro model he has had for quite a while.

The engine is an exact copy of the 185cc Honda which was made for years. Honda engine parts fit right on - he has a clutch, sprockets, etc from Honda on it.

He did need to remove all the bolts and Loctite them, replace standard nuts with Nylocks, install better quality fuel line.

It has never let him down.

Remember that these off road bikes are tall bikes, there is a smaller percentage of Thais than can ride them without difficulty.

yes im almost 6ft and can beerly touch the floor on the platinum 250 even after having the seat shaved at least 2 inch of foam off,

its a bit tricky trying to do a hillstart in an off road track when you cant put ither food down, a small thai would have no chance,

i ride my new scoop knees up to my chin ass in the cubby box and propper uncomfortable, ok for small people thats why thais buy them,

this bike again has don 4 hours of extreme offroading around doi suthep and never faltered new shooes on her it was great

Remember that these off road bikes are tall bikes, there is a smaller percentage of Thais than can ride them without difficulty.

yes im almost 6ft and can beerly touch the floor on the platinum 250 even after having the seat shaved at least 2 inch of foam off,

its a bit tricky trying to do a hillstart in an off road track when you cant put ither food down, a small thai would have no chance,

i ride my new scoop knees up to my chin ass in the cubby box and propper uncomfortable, ok for small people thats why thais buy them,

this bike again has don 4 hours of extreme offroading around doi suthep and never faltered new shooes on her it was great

Any update the speedo repair ,there is a whole group of guys in change mai that do some tough off roading you should hook up with them believe they go out every Friday.

Oh and well done 4 hours with no problems.

yes have you ever tried four hours non stop off roaring , i go with a couple of crf,s that go to the menders every now and then due to the terrain so i realy think this platinum its holding its own

crf having to have there forks refilled, shocks re gassed bits straitened , yes they are honda but they are not invincible like people are making out,

and 4 hours was just today i go most days

Not trying to top you but I've done 4000km of off roading in the last 5 months usually out for 4-6 hours at a time ,of coarse the hondas aren't invincible when your throwing the bike around things will break I've only managed to smash the radiator up a and bent the clutch foot pedal of coarse every piece off plastic is scratched as for regaling the shock I thought their sealed units so can't be regassed

Judging by the pictures of your bike it looks brand new doesn't look like it's done too much hard off road riding

Not knocking you or your bike but I think your jumping the gun a bit you have only covered 1000km and already had brake and speedo problems ,let's see how it's going in say 5-6 months time or when you have done 4-5000 km

Edited by taninthai

Not trying to top you but I've done 4000km of off roading in the last 5 months usually out for 4-6 hours at a time ,of coarse the hondas aren't invincible when your throwing the bike around things will break I've only managed to smash the radiator up a and bent the clutch foot pedal of coarse every piece off plastic is scratched as for regaling the shock I thought their sealed units so can't be regassed

Judging by the pictures of your bike it looks brand new doesn't look like it's done too much hard off road riding

Not knocking you or your bike but I think your jumping the gun a bit you have only covered 1000km and already had brake and speedo problems ,let's see how it's going in say 5-6 months time or when you have done 4-5000 km

looks clean as i keep it top paint side up, 1000k was old post iv done a lot more than that now, and of course it looks new its about 7 weeks old and gets cleaned regularly , in the pictures you may see iv changed the bark busters yes i toasted them and its got knocks,

anyway i thought the idea of a forum was to give information about the bike to people who were possibly thinking of purchasing?not for those who have never rode one owned one or actualy seen one with own eyes to slag them off,

sorry for anyone reading this thread to find something out about this bike they will have to read through a lot of crap

Edited by DEANEBURNE

^

lol only problem is now his speedo don't work so no way of knowing how many km covered.....

Ok but back to info regarding this bike , deaneburn if you ride with guys with crf,s perhaps you could have alittle go on each others bikes and give us a report on how the ride is between the two bikes.

looks clean as i keep it top paint side up, 1000k was old post iv done a lot more than that now, and of course it looks new its about 7 weeks old and gets cleaned regularly , in the pictures you may see iv changed the bark busters yes i toasted them and its got knocks,

anyway i thought the idea of a forum was to give information about the bike to people who were possibly thinking of purchasing?not for those who have never rode one owned one or actualy seen one with own eyes to slag them off,

sorry for anyone reading this thread to find something out about this bike they will have to read through a lot of crap

Yes dean the point of the thread is to put info out there ,which is why I asked a couple of threads back what's happening with the speedo last we heard the dealer kept putting the phone down on you ,most peopl who had a 7 week old bike with brake and speedo problems wouldn't be to happy with it, you ignored my question and went on to compare your bike and talk about crf problems.

People want to know are the dealers helpfull and capable ,so is the speedo fixed now or are you riding a brand new 7 week old bike with no speedometer ,could you also give us more info about this problem is it just the speed reading not working or has the whole dashboard packed up i.e do all the warning lights and indicator lights still work this is what people what info info info

P.s have you checked the fuse for the speedo as when I installed a USB charger on my bike I blew the fuse for the dash a couple of times obviously an easy fix you can do yourself if that's the problem

Edited by taninthai

I for one like it that someone pushes this Platinum hard and compares it with other brands. Would be nice to see some pictures of it out there in the dirt, covered with mud...

But not forget, we are talking about a Dual Sport, Enduro, however you want to call it. Its mainly meant to be ridden on the street, but can occasionally be ridden on light offroad tracks. Same for most other dual sports like the KLX or the CRF. Its a big mistake to think such bikes are street legal "offroad" or "motorcross bikes". Doing so is the best way to destroy your bike in very short time. I guess we are talking about light offroad riding anyway, not "hard motocross style". But however, if the PX250 is capable to do more than 1000km with a good amount of offraod riding than i think this is already a good information smile.png

Its good Deaneburne told us about the problem, but i am not really interested in this speedo problem. If the speedo is really broken than you can easily fix it with replacing the speedo. But the new speedo will be of poor quality too, so it may will break down again one day. Had this on my Tiger Boxer. Seems to be a problem with these cheap "thai made" bikes. And we all know that most thai dealers aren't helpful. I would try to get direct contact to Platinum and order my spare parts there directly. Hope they have a parts list??? And warranty? Warranty maybe is a good argument for selling bikes, but thats all. I wouldn't rely on it with the experiences i made. Not with Platinum and not with any other brand.

^

lol only problem is now his speedo don't work so no way of knowing how many km covered.....

Ok but back to info regarding this bike , deaneburn if you ride with guys with crf,s perhaps you could have alittle go on each others bikes and give us a report on how the ride is between the two bikes.

i think thats been done already and yes the crf is better,, twice the price ,, but not twice as good,

and speedo got fixed .it was due to changing tires they had not put cable on properly,

this was posted yesterday i think when i mentioned at the same time i had my rear break done,

as i said its hard to see whats been posted about this bike for all the other crap being posted

Edited by DEANEBURNE

Looking at the pictures just noticed this bike has drum brakes on the rear, that is going to cause you constant problems when your in thick mud the whole drum will fill with mud and <deleted> it never dries out and just destroys all the brake components happens on my honda click all the time and even happened with our 4x4 truck just spent 8,000 bht replacing both rear drums and pads on the car because of this pics below

post-105817-13575568656596_thumb.jpg

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

Looking at the pictures just noticed this bike has drum brakes on the rear, that is going to cause you constant problems when your in thick mud the whole drum will fill with mud and <deleted> it never dries out and just destroys all the brake components happens on my honda click all the time and even happened with our 4x4 truck just spent 8,000 bht replacing both rear drums and pads on the car because of this pics below

post-105817-13575568656596_thumb.jpg

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

Yes agreed , drums are not good at all however my gripe is that the rear break never realy worked properly from the showroom but all is good for now,i will have to check if my Toyota pickup has the same on the rear and go a bit easy round the pools and mud