Extension Of 30 Day Visa On Phuket?

Flying Clog

Never had to use them In Thailand or anywhere else.

In Thailand that could be because they have no legal basis or value.

Don't know where hole you dug this tidbit from, but bury it back up -- 'cause you are Wrong.

Thailand is in fact part of the International Convention that adopted the IDP (International Driving Permit),

Unless you possess a Thai License, the ONLY legal way a foreigner can drive is to be in

possession of an IDP together with your original valid home country DL. And, even then, only permissible,

for period of 6 mos. after arriving in Thailand, and then the foreigner must obtain Thai License.

Despite the foregoing, it is of course true that many/most car and motorbike rental places will be satisfied

with just your home country DL. But, that doesn't make it legal -- and, if stopped by Thai Police, or worse you get

in an accident; you could be in deep doo-doo. (and, it will also be an excuse for any supposed insurance coverage

you thought you had, to be denied).

Here we go again, again somebody who claims a IDP is required without knowing the facts but accompanied by the usual scare mongering. Please do a search, also here on the forum and the motorforum, and you'll find differently. Or please show here the Thai law requiring an IDP.

See e.g. this thread.

Never had to use them In Thailand or anywhere else.

In Thailand that could be because they have no legal basis or value.

Don't know where hole you dug this tidbit from, but bury it back up -- 'cause you are Wrong.

Thailand is in fact part of the International Convention that adopted the IDP (International Driving Permit),

Unless you possess a Thai License, the ONLY legal way a foreigner can drive is to be in

possession of an IDP together with your original valid home country DL. And, even then, only permissible,

for period of 6 mos. after arriving in Thailand, and then the foreigner must obtain Thai License.

Despite the foregoing, it is of course true that many/most car and motorbike rental places will be satisfied

with just your home country DL. But, that doesn't make it legal -- and, if stopped by Thai Police, or worse you get

in an accident; you could be in deep doo-doo. (and, it will also be an excuse for any supposed insurance coverage

you thought you had, to be denied).

Here we go again, again somebody who claims a IDP is required without knowing the facts but accompanied by the usual scare mongering. Please do a search, also here on the forum and the motorforum, and you'll find differently. Or please show here the Thai law requiring an IDP.

Respectfully, unlike you, I have done my Research; and as a Harvard Law grad with 30+ years of experience, I'd say my opinion might just have a 'wee bit of validity. You asked for it, you got it -- here is the applicable law:

Thai Motor Vehicle Act B.E. 2522 (1979)

Title 3: Driver's License

Section 42

Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver's license. The driver must carry the driver's license and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request. This does not apply for those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.

If the driver is an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver's license specified in the Section 42-2. In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver's license, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Section 42-2

In case there's a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver's license, an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver's license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

What all that means, is that a foreigner may only drive when in possession of both his home DL accompanied by the International Driver Permit (IDP); or a normal Thai DL, which should be obtained once one becomes a regular resident (Retirement Visa).

Again, I note that is well-known that many/most car and motorbike rental companies will rent to you with just your home DL, but that does NOT make it lawful. And, if you are stopped by Thai Police who wish to strictly enforce law; OR worse still you are involved in an accident; you may have big problems. Most importantly, any insurance coverage you thought you had may and most likely will be denied if you don't have required IDP or Thai License.

If you want to call that "Scare-Mongering", fine ... but I call it good advice!

Edited by Mrjustice

@Mrjustice.

What you have posted makes no mention whatsoever of an international driving license; just a valid license from your home country.

You think mentioning that you're a lawyer of some sort should inspire trust?

Edited by KarenBravo

Respectfully, unlike you, I have done my Research; and as a Harvard Law grad with 30+ years of experience, I'd say my opinion might just have a 'wee bit of validity. You asked for it, you got it -- here is the applicable law:

Thai Motor Vehicle Act B.E. 2522 (1979)

Title 3: Driver's License

Section 42

Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver's license. The driver must carry the driver's license and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request. This does not apply for those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.

If the driver is an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver's license specified in the Section 42-2. In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver's license, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Section 42-2

In case there's a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver's license, an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver's license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

What all that means, is that a foreigner may only drive when in possession of both his home DL accompanied by the International Driver Permit (IDP); or a normal Thai DL, which should be obtained once one becomes a regular resident (Retirement Visa).

Again, I note that is well-known that many/most car and motorbike rental companies will rent to you with just your home DL, but that does NOT make it lawful. And, if you are stopped by Thai Police who wish to strictly enforce law; OR worse still you are involved in an accident; you may have big problems. Most importantly, any insurance coverage you thought you had may and most likely will be denied if you don't have required IDP or Thai License.

If you want to call that "Scare-Mongering", fine ... but I call it good advice!

Did you read the thread I pointed you to? Obviously not.

And, if you are stopped by Thai Police who wish to strictly enforce law; OR worse still you are involved in an accident; you may have big problems.

Lucky, with the BiB. There 'law enforcement' is connected to the amount of money, that will be available as part of the monthly share!

So you get an valid driving license, after you paid. Valid for the day, you paid, or for up to 2 weeks (some regions did that. Know it from Khao Lak, some years ago).

No one, in Thailand, is interested, to stop the money flow into the country "Oh, you can't my bike/car, you don't have license!" cheesy.gif

" We charged you, b/c you don't have license. We can't let you drive. If you do, much more expensive, and we have to confiscate bike/car"

clap2.gifwhistling.gif

Na, will never happen!

They like to charge you tomorrow again, much better. And less complicated, 'cause Farang think, 500 Baht cheap for no license, no helmet, ....! And b/c they can drive afterwards again with no helmet, no license!coffee1.gif