Thai (Non Thai) Id Card For Permanent Residents

Can you open a Thai bank account with only your Pink ID card and not your passport? Is that sufficient? In some cases it might be preferred to avoid home country compliance reporting (ie. USA).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes, I have opened new accounts at KBank and SCB with only ID card and copy of Tabien Baan. No passport etc.

At SCB I could see on their terminal screen there were three options for ID. Thai ID, Alien ID or Passport. It's the same if you apply online for "SCB Easy" internet banking.

I believe that everyone has to make a FATCA declaration when opening a new account in Thailand, Thai or foreigner. Not sure about that though.

Fatca only applies to US citizens as they must declare world-wide income.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes but whoever you are, the Thai bank will ask you to declare whether or not you are a US citizen or resident. The US government has forced them to do that..

• 2 weeks later...

I read a couple of members who consider changing bank. That may be a good decision but the reason should have nothing to do with a pink ID card or not.

It is difficult to find a professional bank in Thailand, I have tried 4 different banks here the last 24 years and I am now using Siam Commercial Bank, I find them more professional than Bangkok bank and... much more professional because of the branch I go to.

The key takeaway is that branch matters a lot, the branches in the department stores don't know that much, go to one in an office building or the head office branch and it's a different story

Mikey

• Like 1

I went to UOB Bank the other day to get some documents on my bank account. They asked for my passport. I gave them my Pink ID card. They wouldn't accept it. They called the head office and the local branch still wouldn't take it. So I asked if I wanted to open another account could I do so only with the Pink ID card. They said No, I would have to show my passport.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I went to UOB Bank the other day to get some documents on my bank account. They asked for my passport. I gave them my Pink ID card. They wouldn't accept it. They called the head office and the local branch still wouldn't take it. So I asked if I wanted to open another account could I do so only with the Pink ID card. They said No, I would have to show my passport.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yeah, my experience with the card is also hit and miss most of the times. Some places will accept it, some won't. Unless there is an official directive from interior ministy declaring that the card can be used in lieu of passport for foreigners, it will remain hit and miss like this I guess

Still have to use PP for cash advances on a foreign credit card. Even Thais have to use their passport when getting a cash advance on a foreign credit card. This is the only time I have to use my PP....and I only give them a signed copy of it since they know me very well. I also give them a signed copy of my pink card just for GPs....

has anyone with a PR book tried applying for a pink ID card at the Khet PATHUMWAN District in Bangkok?

Not me. But a Japanese friend said he did. Now, this is hear-say, I haven't seen his card yet.

Pathumwan is a district of Bangkok where many foreigners live, in any case I don't think you would be the first one. In the outbacks ("up-country" as they say here) is a different story.

• Like 1

This morning I opened a new company bank account for my new company in Ubon Ratchathani at a SCB bank. Myself and the other three Thai directors. I used my pink ID card. I always use this card whenever I travel within Thailand. At the airports and checking into hotels. I have no problems. My passport stays at home.

• Like 2

has anyone with a PR book tried applying for a pink ID card at the Khet PATHUMWAN District in Bangkok?

Not me. But a Japanese friend said he did. Now, this is hear-say, I haven't seen his card yet.

Pathumwan is a district of Bangkok where many foreigners live, in any case I don't think you would be the first one. In the outbacks ("up-country" as they say here) is a different story.

Many thanks!! Called PATHUMWAN DISTRICT in Bangkok today (I think they are located in central Siam Square right at BTS Siam)....front desk officer said "no such thing".....but went up the ladder....much more senior officer said no problem (since 2008) to get a pink ID card for permanent residents. It's not that common, so you need to talk to more senior people.

Just need to come to District (Khet) office and provide:

White Permanent Residence booket (blue colored for newbies),

Red Alien booklet (the giant one you need to register every 5 yrs at the relevant police station),

Blue Tabien Baan booklet (my condo unit booklet with my name and ID number 8-XXXX-XXXXX-XX-X 13 digit number in it),

Passport booklet (issued by my home planet)

will try soon.....

smile.png

• Like 1

Isn't Khet Pathumwan on the corner of Soi Chula 5 and 34? A longish walk from Hualamphong MRT?

you may be right...I went there ages ago when I got my blue tablien baan booklet completed (closer to BTS National Stadium?)

anyway I will set up an appointment soon and check it out...

Isn't Khet Pathumwan on the corner of Soi Chula 5 and 34? A longish walk from Hualamphong MRT?

you may be right...I went there ages ago when I got my blue tablien baan booklet completed (closer to BTS National Stadium?)

anyway I will set up an appointment soon and check it out...

It moved mid last year, now it's on soi rong muang 5. Two streets west of chula 5. Right near that rong muang post office. Edited by samran

Many thanks!! Called PATHUMWAN DISTRICT in Bangkok today (I think they are located in central Siam Square right at BTS Siam)....front desk officer said "no such thing".....but went up the ladder....much more senior officer said no problem (since 2008) to get a pink ID card for permanent residents. It's not that common, so you need to talk to more senior people.

Just need to come to District (Khet) office and provide:

White Permanent Residence booket (blue colored for newbies),

Red Alien booklet (the giant one you need to register every 5 yrs at the relevant police station),

Blue Tabien Baan booklet (my condo unit booklet with my name and ID number 8-XXXX-XXXXX-XX-X 13 digit number in it),

Passport booklet (issued by my home planet)

will try soon.....

smile.png

I've had my blue one for more than 20 years....I hardly travel anywhere...tongue.png

Edited by johnh869

God luck, trajan. Looking forward to your success report. :-)

Just finished at the Pathumwan District office (3PM appointment when it is quiet)..very smooth...

entire process took 40 minutes (including three different officers..front line officer, photo/thumbprint officer and ID card officer)...have signed photocopies of the documents I listed above ready....

the ID card machine is right there...they take your photo and thumbprints (both hands)....and hand you the card...

you should take a native speaker if you cannot read and write Thai because there is a form...but pretty simple....they ask your religion and bloodtype...I just put in "----" for both..no problem...

the card is good for 10 years (if you are under 60 years of age).....

the Pathumwan District office is now used to the process...they get a foreigner with PR now about once a week according to the officer....

• Like 2

Great! So you need to make an appointment before turning up?

Will they accept the one-page extract from the tabien baan or does it need to be a copy of the real thing?

you should make an appointment if you want to make it as smooth as possible (and also streamline the wait & time your visit during quiet times) (I made an appointment a week in advance)

they looked up my records in advance (based on ID number in my tabien baan) so it was as streamlined as possible.

I was advised (just in case) to bring all original booklets, but the officers never cracked them open (nor took them out of the clear plastic folder I put them all in). They only looked at the signed photocopies.

Oh, by the way, the fee for the ID card is a nominal Baht 60....

• Like 1

Just finished at the Pathumwan District office (3PM appointment when it is quiet)..very smooth...

entire process took 40 minutes (including three different officers..front line officer, photo/thumbprint officer and ID card officer)...have signed photocopies of the documents I listed above ready....

the ID card machine is right there...they take your photo and thumbprints (both hands)....and hand you the card...

you should take a native speaker if you cannot read and write Thai because there is a form...but pretty simple....they ask your religion and bloodtype...I just put in "----" for both..no problem...

the Pathumwan District office is now used to the process...they get a foreigner with PR now about once a week according to the officer....

That's great that you got the card immediately. I guess it means that whatever software problem BORA had up till now has finally been fixed.

Only about 6 weeks ago I had a replacement card issued but the same issue (as discussed earlier in this thread) came up where they took the photos and scanned thumbprints OK but couldn't print the card. I had to come back a couple of weeks later after it had been printed at BORA headquarters (they said).

The replacement card I have is better quality than the first one and has holograms on it. Though for some unknown reason they removed the Thai text saying "Permanent Resident". Does your card have PR mentioned?

• Like 1

That's great that you got the card immediately. I guess it means that whatever software problem BORA had up till now has finally been fixed.

Only about 6 weeks ago I had a replacement card issued but the same issue (as discussed earlier in this thread) came up where they took the photos and scanned thumbprints OK but couldn't print the card. I had to come back a couple of weeks later after it had been printed at BORA headquarters (they said).

The replacement card I have is better quality than the first one and has holograms on it. Though for some unknown reason they removed the Thai text saying "Permanent Resident". Does your card have PR mentioned?

The big black ID card machine is right in front of you at the Pathumwan District Office (near Chula University campus)...the card is issued within minutes after your photo and thumbprints

the new pink ID card has round holograms in it, but no "Permanent Residence" lettering in Thai underneath your 13-digit ID number (like some have reported in older cards earlier in this thread)

however, the back of the card states that you cannot leave your "area" unless you have an alien certificate [meaning permanent residence status] or unless you have written permission

• Like 1

however, the back of the card states that you cannot leave your "area" unless you have an alien certificate [meaning permanent residence status] or unless you have written permission

Ack! If I had the card I think I'd be reluctant to show it at one of those military checkpoints near the border in Tak or Chiang Rai without my Alien's Book to back it up. Printing "Permanent Resident" on the card would seem to solve the problem. And now they have gone and changed it!

I thought the whole point of the card was to stop everyone from having to carry the red book or the documents the migrant labourers carry.

Ack! If I had the card I think I'd be reluctant to show it at one of those military checkpoints near the border in Tak or Chiang Rai without my Alien's Book to back it up. Printing "Permanent Resident" on the card would seem to solve the problem. And now they have gone and changed it!

I thought the whole point of the card was to stop everyone from having to carry the red book or the documents the migrant labourers carry.

the officer explained that the deletion of the "permanent residence" words beneath the 13 digit ID number was to make the card for use for ALL aliens (non-citizens) not just PRs...

however, if your individual ID number starts with "8" it is supposed to automatically categorize you as a PR (with alien certificate)....

next two digits of "10" denote "Bangkok",

next two digits of "07" identify you as from "Pathumwan District of Bangkok..

next 7 digits are the chronological number in your category assigned to you..

last digit is a "check sum" or verify digit (dont quite understand that)

does you ID number start with "8"??

• Like 1

The replacement card that I had issued recently is actually my third card. On the initial replacement (second card), where the text saying "Permanent Resident" had been was replaced with something like "Unspecified Group". Fortunately my wife was with me at the district office changing her own ID card and according to her that text might be interpreted as some kind of refugee. She told them that she wouldn't accept the card like that. An argument ensued over the phone with BORA head office with her insisting that they take that text away and revert it back to PR. They refused and she told them she wouldn't accept that and would escalate the issue.

In the meantime, we noticed that on that card they had also omitted my middle name. So in any case, the card needed to be printed again. A couple of weeks later when I went alone to collect the third card I could see that they had just removed all text from that field so perhaps that was BORA's compromise. When my wife saw it she wanted to fight with them again but I told her I can't be bothered. I don't expect it to make any difference whether PR is mentioned or not.

I have had the card for over 2 years now and in that time I have gradually changed almost every place I am registered from passport number to 13 digit ID. I use it for everything where ID is required and not one single time has anyone mentioned that stupid text on the back of the card. I don't worry about that at all now. Very few officials have any clue what an Alien Book is. Not even police, even though it is them that issue it.

• Like 1

Right. I have been asked for my passport near the Burmese border, and then on one occasion they asked why there was no visa. I tried to explain I had an Aliens Book, but not with me, but they just didn't get it. Anyway, they could see my last entry stamp, so they moved on to hassling the Burmese on the bus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The replacement card that I had issued recently is actually my third card. On the initial replacement (second card), where the text saying "Permanent Resident" had been was replaced with something like "Unspecified Group". Fortunately my wife was with me at the district office changing her own ID card and according to her that text might be interpreted as some kind of refugee. She told them that she wouldn't accept the card like that. An argument ensued over the phone with BORA head office with her insisting that they take that text away and revert it back to PR. They refused and she told them she wouldn't accept that and would escalate the issue.

In the meantime, we noticed that on that card they had also omitted my middle name. So in any case, the card needed to be printed again. A couple of weeks later when I went alone to collect the third card I could see that they had just removed all text from that field so perhaps that was BORA's compromise. When my wife saw it she wanted to fight with them again but I told her I can't be bothered. I don't expect it to make any difference whether PR is mentioned or not.

I have had the card for over 2 years now and in that time I have gradually changed almost every place I am registered from passport number to 13 digit ID. I use it for everything where ID is required and not one single time has anyone mentioned that stupid text on the back of the card. I don't worry about that at all now. Very few officials have any clue what an Alien Book is. Not even police, even though it is them that issue it.

You are saying that you holding this card (with no text mentioning PR) for 2 years ? I just got my PR ID card issued from Pravet District a few months ago, it had to be printed by Bora (not instant) , and it does include the PR text. So I don't think that the PR text has been removed at all from the ID card. Maybe in your case due to your wife fighting it, they deleted it. Maybe just one off case.

• Like 1

You are saying that you holding this card (with no text mentioning PR) for 2 years ? I just got my PR ID card issued from Pravet District a few months ago, it had to be printed by Bora (not instant) , and it does include the PR text. So I don't think that the PR text has been removed at all from the ID card. Maybe in your case due to your wife fighting it, they deleted it. Maybe just one off case.

No. Read the previous posts then read my post again.

• Like 1

Small heads up.

I got one today with yellow tabien baan (no PR). ID number starting with 6. In Bangkok. Took only 40 mins.

They have a category in the computer for 3,4,5,6,7,8 starting numbers. I saw that on the screen. So each of these starting numbers appears to be eligible for the pink ID card.

On the card itself it says "general alien", so I'm considering to apply for the new X-Files season, only half was done :)

• Haha 1

Small heads up. I got one today with yellow tabien baan (no PR). ID number starting with 6. In Bangkok. Took only 40 mins. They have a category in the computer for 3,4,5,6,7,8 starting numbers. I saw that on the screen. So each of these starting numbers appears to be eligible for the pink ID card. On the card itself it says "general alien", so I'm considering to apply for the new X-Files season, only half was done smile.png

That seems to be an interesting development. So it seems that any foreigner with a yellow tabien bahn can go and make this card?