Home Schooling In Thailand For Your Child.

cbrer

I hear about it often, but know nothing of it. I presume most don't want their child studying in a Thai school and cannot afford International School fees.

Who does it on here?

How does it work?

Presumably a group of people would do it together.

Any info and ideas and contacts appreciated.

Thanks. :)

have not heard of it. my advice would be to look into private thai language schools - good quality but cheaper than english language farang teacher schools - or move back home. i don't see home schooling as a realistic option. for one thing, it is a full time job, which begs the question - why not just get a real job and use those funds to send the kid to school? and secondly, children require socialization which they get by interacting with their peers and being involved in group learning and competition. sitting alone memorizing facts is otherwise arbitrary.

there is a family forum section on this website, probably post there.

If you don't work you could do it all yourself. I believe countries like the US and the UK have books you can buy to teach them from the govt or examination boards. I looked into this briefly a while back and I think that's how it works. You will need to have your child tested regularly, but I'm not sure if this is home testing or you will need to find an affiliated school to do it.

Yes, there are plenty of homeschooling families here in Thailand, with most of them being Thai, although there are some expat families as well.

Here are a couple of homeschool threads that I've replied to in the past:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/237246-home-schooling-in-los/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/343714-anyone-homeschooling-their-kids-in-thailand/

Are you interested to homeschool your own children? And if so, are they Thai or non-Thai or both?

If they are Thai, they will need to follow homeschool laws in Thailand which means they follow one of the following paths:

1) they register with the Ministry of Education (MOE) directly; this is free, but families must present their scope and sequence of study as well as other details to their local MOE official. The process varies greatly depending on where you register and who you are working with at the MOE where you are, as requirements vary widely.

or

2) you register with a Thai umbrella school. This costs 2-3,000 baht/term/child. When you register with the school, your child is in the system as a student at the school, but you are free to determine the curricula, materials, etc. You simply report grades and such to the school; reporting requirements vary depending on the school.

If the children are non-Thai, you simply need to follow the requirments for their home country and/or any country they may move to in the future.

Most families do much of the teaching within the family (there are legal limitations to homeschooling other people's children). Homeschool groups often get together for extra curricular things like music and art and such.

If you can give more particulars about your situation, I am happy to answer specific questions.

• Like 1

Thanks.

It's a few years away yet, but good to begin researching the best options.

Thai will be half Thai half Western, born in and being raised in Thailand.

I think I'd prefer a type of half half situation. Half taught at home using Western curriculums, and half at school for things like P.E., Art, Thai history etc. and also to be social and not feel like the odd one out.

I don't want them lining up every day being condition about how great they are as a Thai and sitting in a classroom of 50 with the fear of being hit by some 'teacher' who's educated to the average highschool graduate in the West.

http://www.secularhomeschool.com/sitemap/f-58.html

http://www.homelifeacademy.com/

http://www.hslda.org/default.aspx

https://www.facebook.com/groups/homeschoolnetwork/ in Thai,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/137679809682751/ also in Thai

.. and doubtless many others.

A problem for me is that many organisations are non secular.

I dislike the suggestion that this is an option for people that can't afford international schools: this is an option for people that want to see their children educated properly. School teachers especially get quite agitated by the suggestion that children will learn better in a class of one than of 30 to 50..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'd prefer a type of half half situation. Half taught at home using Western curriculums, and half at school for things like P.E., Art, Thai history etc. and also to be social and not feel like the odd one out.

Slightly delayed reply, as my TV notifications are apparently not working. If you go this route, with some at home and some classes at a school, then you just need to work it out with the school about what you will do with them and what you will do at home. Most people I know of who go this route do not register anywhere else. But when you are at this point, will probably be a good idea to check on the current regulations with the Thai Homeschool Association.

In addition to the Thai Homeschool Association, this group is also a great resource. It is comprised of Thai families homeschooling here, and you can easily connect with other homeschoolers in your area through this group. The expat homeschoolers can be reached via their Yahoo group "Bangkok Homeschoolers"-- the involvement varies with this group, as families are often coming and going.

Edited by Niranut

• 3 weeks later...

I am an American singer here in Bangkok and am interested in partnering with other homeschoolers in order for my daughter to meet other children so please let me know if you interested in linking up. I used to homeschool back in the States and being a part of a group was great for the social aspect of learning.

• 2 months later...

Homeschooling has been working very well for us (British family) for the past few years. We live in Pattaya and homeschool 2 daughters age 4 and 10 using British, Australian and Singapore curriculums.

Last year my friend began to homeschool her 2 children too. We both have expat packages that pay for school fees and yet we chose the homeschooling path as a better educational option for our children and family lifestyles.

If any homeschoolers are in Pattaya and would like to join up for some outings/classes/social time etc Please PM me.

• 3 months later...