Global Survey Ranks Bangkok Taxis Fifth Best In The World

Lite Beer

I can't see how a BKK taxi driver make anything off a ride with the meter on. How could it even cover the fuel and costs to run, let alone a person that might want to make a living.

I will tell you one thing, I doubt to many taxi driver in BKK could ever afford 1 week off to go explore their own country on the islands.

Freaking spoiled western baby boomers, I refuse cheap people all the time my services just on principal. I feel guilty knowing how little these guys make for working their butts off and getting lung cancer.

• Like 2

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This survey is definitely based on ridiculous, spurious statistics and bogus imaginations! Thailand taxis is conclusively not on the fifth! They are the worst by any countries standards! Especially the way they drive. All they ever know is just slam the accelarator and then slam the brakes at the last minute. They never learn to calculate the distance and the speed velocity of their own vehicle with the others and then by slowing down but instead they drive at necking breaking speed and at the last moment slam the brakes. So retarded & spastic!

Service is just as bad! I've met numerous taxi drivers who demanded on taking the longer distance with the heaviest traffic jams and when I insisted on taking the shorter, more efficient and less traffic route; was told to get out and still have to pay for the meter fare. They are mercenaries and road bullies. Totally uncivilised, uneducated, uncultured & uncouth! The worst of its kind!

Now I drive.

This survey is definitely based on ridiculous, spurious statistics and bogus imaginations! Thailand taxis is conclusively not on the fifth! They are the worst by any countries standards! Especially the way they drive. All they ever know is just slam the accelarator and then slam the brakes at the last minute. They never learn to calculate the distance and the speed velocity of their own vehicle with the others and then by slowing down but instead they drive at necking breaking speed and at the last moment slam the brakes. So retarded & spastic!

Service is just as bad! I've met numerous taxi drivers who demanded on taking the longer distance with the heaviest traffic jams and when I insisted on taking the shorter, more efficient and less traffic route; was told to get out and still have to pay for the meter fare. They are mercenaries and road bullies. Totally uncivilised, uneducated, uncultured & uncouth! The worst of its kind!

Now I drive.

When does one realize it may not be everyone else that has the problem?

Nonsense. A quick phone call, sms or use a smartphone app brings a taxi within minutes.

Good luck when you call in Singapore at 3am a taxi. They will tell you on the phone call again their are no taxi's currently available. Calling a cab at rush hours is not a problem. Many cab's prefer to be waiting in front of Marina Bay Sands at night or on Geylang Road. I am talking about Toa Payoh, Bedok, Simei etc.

I think they're great!

That's why many people dream about Bangkok style taxi meters in ... Pattaya.

That would make a huge difference moving Pattaya forward towards the world class urban beach resort that the politic leaders give lip service to wanting.

I don't go to Pattaya too much but last time I was there (i think 6 or 12-months ago), I saw a number of Pattaya taxis. If I recall they were all mini van type vehicles and painted in yellow/blue similar to company ones you find in Bangkok. I didn't take one but saw a number of them and assumed they were metered and work just like they do in BKK. Is that not the case?

Where is Singapore?????????? i have never had a problem with a Taxi there, but i have in BKK and London!!

Taxis are different class in Singapore. thumbsup.gif

Yeah. but there's a big minus point in that you have to be in Singapore to get one.

You not only have to be in Singapore but also at a designated stop and often have to wait in line to pay more for what is usually an older taxi. Am sure there must be an upside but having it cost more and be harder to catch a cab in Singapore are certainly not positives in my book..

Where is Singapore?????????? i have never had a problem with a Taxi there, but i have in BKK and London!!

Taxis are different class in Singapore. thumbsup.gif

Yeah. but there's a big minus point in that you have to be in Singapore to get one.

You not only have to be in Singapore but also at a designated stop and often have to wait in line to pay more for what is usually an older taxi. Am sure there must be an upside but having it cost more and be harder to catch a cab in Singapore are certainly not positives in my book..

During peak hours 6-9.30am and 6pm-11.59pm, you have to pay additional 25%. Midnight to 5.59am, extra 50%. Call cab extra S$2.30-3.30, advance booking (min 30mins), extra S$8.00. Extra surcharges for some places you wish to go, extra surcharge for city area pick up, extra surcharge for additional passengers, extra this, extra that! It's amazingly confusing if you are not a Singaporean or someone who knows these charges.

FYI, its almost impossible or very very long wait to get a cab during peak hours. That's because most people calls for a cab and pays extra resulting in lesser cabs turning up for those waiting in long queues. More over, its impossible to get connected to the call centers (+/- 10 taxi companies)...sometimes calling for over 30mins! If you are trying to get a cab like 15mins or less before the next surcharge increase...eg before 12am where its 50% extra...don't bother. Walking or taking other forms of transports is a much better option. If you're in an emergency situation, call the ambulance. Otherwise, you will just need to wait! Serious...

So...now you know why Singapore is not in the list.