To Pay Duty And Tax On The Merchandise From China

ZerOlivier

Hello,

I would like to buy inflatables from China, all products are in PVC.

For a total of USD6,800 + shipping USD420, I can pay with Paypal or T/T whatever +3%

6800+420+3%= USD7,437

But what about the duty and tax ?

I found this :

1. Rates of Duty
    There are six duty rates for imported goods, excluding vehicles which have special rates. These duty rates are as follows:

• Duty rate is 0% for goods that government policy provides not to collect duties

• Duty rate is 1% for raw materials

• Duty rate is 5% for primary products and capital goods

• Duty rate is 10% for intermediate products

• Duty rate is 20% for finished products

• Duty rate is 30% for government protected goods

Or If I choose by express, it costs 1803USD by DHL to your door for about 3-4 working days, I don't need to do the customs clearance and pick up the goods yourself.

6800+1803+3% = USD8,860

What is the best choice ?

Thanks for your help

Oliver

I advise to use

or standard postal services (slow but cheaper)

or express (faster, expensive).

DHL has a good reputation worldwide but I do Not recommend the Thai branch.

For custom rates I rely on http://internet1.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/traders+and+business/customs+tariff/hs+system/hssystem

P.S. I assume you import the goods for personal use.If not other rules apply.

I thought there was a Trade Agreement (special economic zone?) between Thailand & China that either eliminated or reduced duties between the two. Perhaps someone will have info on this. I found this trade agreement, Article II. Thailand-China

There are actually two Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) in place: One is between Thailand and China, the other between China and ASEAN (and thus also applies to Thailand).

The reduced or exempted import duties apply not to all goods but to the goods listed in the agreement. If the OP advises the HS codes of the goods he intends to import, it can be looked up on the Thai Customs' site which import tariff finally applies.

However, you cannot just receive goods by courier or mail service and pay no import duties. There are Rules of Origin: The supplier has to prove that these goods are actually manufactured in China. This he does by applying for a Certificate of Origin (C/O). There are different forms for each FTA. The supplier must be licenced by the Chinese government to issue this, and they will verify that he uses at least a certain amount of local content (usually 40%, I am not particular sure about these FTAs), and they are very strict.

That said, the C/O can only be used if you make a formal customs clearance. Courier companies don't usually do that, they have a special regulations with customs for small parcels or samples. It would be important to know what kind of volume (in terms of weight, dimensions and value) we are talking about.

• Like 1

It appears that the Trade Agreements have no weight when it comes to customs. I have had two bad experienced with the local branch of DHL importing from Australia.

If this is not only a one-off trade then you will need a custom agent.

At the moment I am dealing with a Custom Agent that appears to be very professional, recommended to me by a colleague. If I have a good experience (that I expect) this time I will contact you by email and I will put you in contact with them.