Thai Woman Drops To Her Death In Lift Plunge

webfact

Woman drops to her death in lift plunge

THE NATION

30194663-01_big.jpg

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- A woman succumbed to severe injuries on Sunday night, in the first legally recognised death caused by a falling lift. The accident happened on Saturday at a furniture showroom in Nakhon Ratchasima.

It took place at the Home Furniture Class showroom when Siripun Kaysoong-nern led two customers, including a heavily pregnant woman, up in the lift.

While ascending, the lift suddenly started dropping from the fourth floor, possibly because a sling chain snapped.

All three people in the elevator sustained critical injuries. Prapawarin Jaidee had a miscarriage and is under intensive care at the Maharaj Nakhon Ratchasima Hospital. The other customer, Kris Chuaychua, is stable but is still in hospital.

Police have not yet pressed charges pending examination of evidence. The investigation will determine whether the accident resulted from recklessness.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11- 20

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lifts usually are run by electric motors driving traction cables or counterweight systems and they have automatic brakes in the event of slippage but I don't think they have anything to offset a cable breakage. If it is established it is cable breakage, I would think the owners could be held culpable as any 'regular' maintenance would require cable inspection and replacement if old. T.i.T., and like so many other 'mishaps', there will be a lot of finger pointing and the problem swept under the carpet after some payoffs. Sad for the injured and the pregnant lady's miscarriage.

• Like 2

Is there a Thai word for maintenance?

'extra work'

Extra expense!

A tragic accident that should have been avoided.

Actually "unnecessary cost". Don't expect any changes though. Sadly, the victims will settle for a couple of hundred thousand Baht knowing that's the best they can get. :(

• Like 2

"time for go home already"

Something I've wondered about is where the elevators out here are made, and if the maker is also the entity that installs it. I've noticed most of the ones in big buildings are made in Europe, Japan, or US. The ones without a plate announcing the maker I assume to be of lesser quality. I would think China must be making these, maybe Taiwan.

This incident has me wondering if the elevator in question was made in Indonesia or Malaysia.

Edited by bendejo

The invention of the safety brake for elevators is literally what made lifts in buildings practical. Somehow the brake on this one must have been disabled or could it have malfunctioned? Awful.

It's like brakes on Thai bicycles...either they don't work or they don't have any.

As with all other rules and regulations in Thailand: They are there, just as in any other (developed) country.

Problem is enforcement, maintenance and safety-awareness.

Usually, a (small) disaster need to happen first before something will be done to prevent it in the future.

Usually even a (BIG) disaster doesn't result in real changes in Thailand...just results in saving-face rhetoric.

• Like 1

Something I've wondered about is where the elevators out here are made, and if the maker is also the entity that installs it. I've noticed most of the ones in big buildings are made in Europe, Japan, or US. The ones without a plate announcing the maker I assume to be of lesser quality. I would think China must be making these, maybe Taiwan.

This incident has me wondering if the elevator in question was made in Indonesia or Malaysia.

you cant say lifts make in certain countries are of inferior quality or without certain safety features...nonsense...lifts without auto brakes system is unimaginable ,,there must be minimum standard....i would believe there is a lack of regular maintenance or non replacement of certain parts because of whatever reasons that lead to this....with maintenance, the lift will be given a certificate that you can see hang in it....

It doesn't only happen in Thailand. People get killed in lifts the world over, including USA and UK. Here's just one example - http://www.dailymail...nge-woman.html. You can find plenty more yourselves. If the company were negligent they should be punished, but this is nothing to do with Thailand in general. If it was there would be a lot more of these incidents, which there aren't. Some of you need to get over your constant anti-Thailand rants.

So...let me get this straight: you are basically saying that the safety- regulations in the US or UK are as abysmal as the safety regulations - or better:the enforcement- in Thailand?

I guess, that also goes for safety- belts in cars, helmets on motorbikes, car- safety in general, blocked or locked fire- exits in nightclubs or hotels or thelistisendless?!

IMHO the fact that not more accidents of this kind happen in Thailand is a) pure luck b ) due to the fact, that maybe you can not read Thai eg Thai-language newspapers or c) pure luck!

When things like this happen in the US or UK (or France or Germany) they are a) accidents b ) followed up by an investigation and c) a fine, for the entity who is responsible...plus there are controls, that can and mostly will not be gettin' over with by a littl epresent of...let's say...300 Baht for the person controlling.

• Like 2

Lifts usually are run by electric motors driving traction cables or counterweight systems and they have automatic brakes in the event of slippage but I don't think they have anything to offset a cable breakage.

Just the opposite, the emergency braking system is meant to handle exactly that emergency.

Elisha Otis would demonstrate his invention in front of crowds by being hoisted up in an open wooden elevator and then having the rope holding it cut to demonstrate that it would not fall more than a few feet.

• Like 2

you cant say lifts make in certain countries are of inferior quality or without certain safety features...nonsense...lifts without auto brakes system is unimaginable ,,there must be minimum standard....i would believe there is a lack of regular maintenance or non replacement of certain parts because of whatever reasons that lead to this....with maintenance, the lift will be given a certificate that you can see hang in it....

A few years back this subject came up at the AGM of my condo. There was a 30 day inspection of the lifts (as required by law, and the BMA do occasionally visit condos / office buildings etc., and check lift maint. records) and the maintenance company (Thai company, quite professional) had indicated that the cables needed replacement (about 400,000Baht), they provided photographs and they had organized for a few members of the committee / condo owners to look at the actual cables to see what was worn etc. Maint. company owner also suggested we get a second opinion from an engineering company etc. That didn't hapen.

Bottom line at the AGM - most owners wanted to just forget about it and not replace the cables and they 'won' the vote. The Maint. company owner attended the AGM in case they were needed to answer any specific questions. He immediately indicated he was cancelling the contract and said he would provide a small refund.

One of the owners said immediately: 'never mind, I can organize a fake certificate to say the lifts are inspected every 30 days, so we can cancel the lift maint. totally and save money.' No further discussion, next agenda item...

• Like 1

A few years back this subject came up at the AGM of my condo. There was a 30 day inspection of the lifts (as required by law, and the BMA do occasionally visit condos / office buildings etc., and check lift maint. records) and the maintenance company (Thai company, quite professional) had indicated that the cables needed replacement (about 400,000Baht), they provided photographs and they had organized for a few members of the committee / condo owners to look at the actual cables to see what was worn etc. Maint. company owner also suggested we get a second opinion from an engineering company etc. That didn't hapen.

Bottom line at the AGM - most owners wanted to just forget about it and not replace the cables and they 'won' the vote. The Maint. company owner attended the AGM in case they were needed to answer any specific questions. He immediately indicated he was cancelling the contract and said he would provide a small refund.

One of the owners said immediately: 'never mind, I can organize a fake certificate to say the lifts are inspected every 30 days, so we can cancel the lift maint. totally and save money.' No further discussion, next agenda item...

What law is this?

This is indeed a very unfortunate accident. I myself use the lift every day but often wonder what would happen if the cable was to break.

That being said I drop the thought when I realize there are millions of lifts in the world and up until today I have never heard of one falling like this one and killing some one. So I will continue to use them with out any more worry than before. It is a big world and there will always be strange things happening in it. Rare and imposable things.

Take the oil spill in the Carriabian. If you knew all the safety factors involved to prevent it you would say it was impossible.

I heard engineer who was working on what happened there and their were so many safe guaurds that it supposidly could not happen. Yet it did.