Tig Welding Stainless 304 In Bangkok (Lad Krabang) Leo Vince

karlos

Does anyone know of a workshop in Bangkok (Lad Krabang area would be great) that can TIG weld my 304 stainless Steel Leo Vince Exhaust?

A shop that i won't mention installed the exhaust using the stock 2012 Ninja 650's long bolt instead of the two shorts bolts that are required to mount the Leo, meaning the two individual brackets were squeezed inwards and the excess pressure caused the right hand bracket to snap at it's welds.

I'm a little pi55ed off but it's only the right hand side mounting bracket that has snapped off. The break is a clean break of the weld and should be easy for a Thai to gob a bit of weld on top of, but i would ideally like the weld to look close to original. smile.png

Edited by karlos

The only good tig welding i have seen not in bkk but in pattaya. The shops that build stainless gates and fences seem to have tig mastered...

You're on to something there, good thinking Batman!! smile.png

There's a shop that makes them a stones throw from my house, i'll check it out tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for that Yankee99 smile.png

Edited by karlos

A shop that i won't mention installed the exhaust using the stock 2012 Ninja 650's long bolt instead of the two shorts bolts that are required to mount the Leo

:cheesy:

Sorry.

Thai mechanics using their expertise again eh. :D

Shouldn't be too hard to find a quick weld job luckily enough.

Why would 2 longer bolts make any difference compaired too 2 shorter bolts?

Once they are tightened they will be exactly the same length from the clamp point to the bolt head.

I didn't mention 'two longer bolts' The standard fitting kit uses a single 8-10" bolt.

To be honest I painted a pretty vague picture so i'll help to show you what i mean.

In the picture below you can see that the fitting kit uses two short bolts to mount the Leo Vince to the bike's subframe.

The original exhaust used one long bolt that slid through and clamped tight up against the bike's subframe/exhaust rubbers due to the original exhausts design.

The mounting points on the Leo Vince are completely different, simply using the original long bolt will not tightly secure the exhaust, sure it will be mounted under the bike but it will just be hanging on to the original bolt. The two short bolts actually clamp the Leo Vince to the bike's exhaust rubbers and doesn't allow the Leo vince to vibrate and jump up and down, which is what was ahppening using the original bolt and eventually lead to the material surrounding the welds to crack/ break.

Hope this rushed reply help to shed some light for you? smile.png

post-59428-0-63952600-1353742852_thumb.j

To use the original 'long bolt' would require a metal tube to be installed between the Leo Vince's two brackets to stop them from bending inwards once the exhaust is tightened up, or using a shorter bolt both sides does the same job and with less weight.

Edited by karlos

^ Hard to believe that the Thai working on it who felt he knew better than to follow the installation instructions, ended up breaking the product due to not doing so.

The sheer (baseless) arrogance and incompetence here really is astounding at times. blink.png

• Like 1

The best TIG guy in Pattaya is up on Suhkumvit Rd at the engineering shop where they repair boat propellers and outboard motor castings.

BSJ could you narrow it down a bit more please Suhkumvit is a very long road.

I could ride there and be bang on the money....but directions don't come easy! I think the nearest well know Soi is Watboon. And the engineer shop is on the west side 2 doors from a small soi or lane. Blink and you will miss it. I have to go out that waY in the morning so I will try and get you more info.