Recurring Back Pain - Where Do I Go From Here?

KED

For the last few years, I have had a recurring back pain which reappears about every 4-6 months in the same area of my back. It starts as a dull pain and a stiff back, but after a few days, the pain is so strong that I cannot stand or walk for a few days. After a few days of bed rest and the use of a heating pad, the pain diminishes and finally is gone.

I went to BNH Hospital two years ago and explained to the doctor my symptoms and concern that it was perhaps a kidney problem or herniated disk/slipped disk or something serious. His reply was "so what do you want to do?" I'm not sure if it was a cultural issue, but I was looking for him to be more pro-active about how to proceed since he was the doctor. So, I ended up getting a regular x-ray which did not show any obvious spine/vertebrate problems.

Recently, I have had another episode and this one has lasted much longer than ever before. I have felt strong pain for almost two weeks now - and am only just now feeling better.

Now that I am more mobile, I would like to get to the source of this back pain. But, after a less than stellar experience with the previous doctor, any suggestions on what type of doctor I should make an appointment. Should I be aware of what tests I want done?

I have been very lucky in my 50 years not to have any serious illness and am grateful that Thai medical expenses are so much less than in the U.S.; however, I need to find someone who can explain to me what the problem could be and how to proceed.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Edited by lopburi3
correct font

When there are some fairs in QSNCC or Impact about Thai products I usually see some foreign doctors looking at peoples backs and giving them hints and also telling them what kind of treatment they require, maybe look on those two places websites to see when the next fairs are.

Sorry cannot be more helpful.

If you have that problem in your lower back, then we have the same problem,

except that i have it every day of my life.

You can eventually prevent it, if you build muscles,

but whenever you exercise, make sure to lock your back before you do your reps,

that is, do not bend your back at all in any exercise, just give it a static work/load.

Other things that help, massage, tramadol, creme that generate heat,

(put a shirt on for more heat)

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

If you have that problem in your lower back, then we have the same problem,

except that i have it every day of my life.

You can eventually prevent it, if you build muscles,

but whenever you exercise, make sure to lock your back before you do your reps,

that is, do not bend your back at all in any exercise, just give it a static work/load.

Other things that help, massage, tramadol, creme that generate heat,

(put a shirt on for more heat)

Yes - from my internet research - building up core muscles and back muscles should help - will definitely start concentrating on this area.

I have been using SalonPas and it works really well in dulling the pain.

Have you been able to get your condition successfully diagnosed? sciatic nerve? disc degneration?

I would feel better if I just understood more what is causing the back pain.

Thanks

You have my sympathy, I know exactly what you mean.

Like a previous poster I have suffered from lower back pain for years, had x-rays that revealed nothing.

As for what causes it, I have no idea.

But for prevention, the following works for me, exercise swimming is the best, posture, when driving I have a cushion on my seat, I drive for no more than 3 hours at a time, then get out and have a walk round. posture when sitting down, especially at the computer, keep that back straight.

You dont mention weight problems?

I also have a lower back massage at least once a month, go to a proper masseur not one of these el cheapo places where they dont know what they are doing.

Voltarene is the only thing that works for me, that with pain killers for the first two days to dull the pain, then another two days of voltarene only.

Like you I wish I knew what the cause is, but no doctor has been able to tell me, and I have seen plenty.

• Like 1

The doctors said i have chronic inflammation in the muscles, and 'get use to it'.

the therapist one of the doctors sent me to believed it was a nerve in squeeze causing the inflammation.

But anyway, that program of static load she taught me did make wonders after a year,

unfortunately i stopped exercise, and it came back, tho i now am making a new comeback hopefully.

And forgot, anti inflammation pills help too, like celebrex

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

Pulsed Electromagnet Field Therapy could be a way forward for some of you.

My wife has suffered with CFS and Fibro for a number of years. A while back the pains in her shoulders, back and arms flared up and she spent a lot of the day lying down and taking paracetamol to help her sleep at night.N ow I knew of PEMF (Pulsed Electro Magnetic Field Therapy) and its claims and I eventually managed to contacted a Dr in the US who manufactured a ‘proper’ PTMF m/c … capable of pulses up to 1920Gauss/193mT. He told me that he had recently supplied one m/c to Thailand, actually to a Dr in BK.

So I took my wife to this guys practice, gee was he expensive but even after the first treatment I saw quite an improvement. Hearing stories from some of his patients whilst in the waiting room convinced me of the value of this m/c. So I talked again to the Dr who is the sole distributer and as luck would have it he was coming to Thailand in a couple of weeks time to do some demonstration. So he brought me one and over three days spent time training us to use it along with a friend who is a physiotherapist.

I know for a fact that he took orders for m/cs from a notable BK hospital, a BK Plastic surgeon and a ‘lady’ who owns several ‘health clinics’.

So my wife is hugely better and is looking forward to restarting playing golf again. Now a friend used our machine for a shoulder problem that had been ongoing for weeks and it’s now OK, in addition this guy whenever he drove more than 100kms or so developed a pain down his right leg. We have just been down to Krabi with them and he didn’t have any problems during the drive. I’ve had lower back pain and an SI joint problem for years and it has really helped.

If you want any more info you can PM me.

Edited by JAS21

Yes - from my internet research - building up core muscles and back muscles should help - will definitely start concentrating on this area.

Also stretching. Search for back and leg stretches.

I would feel better if I just understood more what is causing the back pain.

In most cases, weak core & back muscles, inflexible and out of balance. Also leg muscles pulling on the back. Add in being overweight.

Takes time & effort to get everything right after years of neglect.

It will go downhill from here. Severe, chronic back pain, constant sciatica, a bracing of the lumbar discs. Slipped discs usually don't show on x-rays since they are soft tissue, but on MRIs, and that's when you learn that Thai medicine is more expensive than in Europe. More than 20k Baht in BPH per picture. Disc problems are most likely the cause, a minute slip of 1/100 of an inch can cause pain. They shrivel by themselves and you return to normal within days or weeks, but if you can't stand the unrelenting pain, can't hold urine or stool, experience paralysis in one or both legs, or inability to achieve an erection, you need surgery. Please look this up and see if you can identify some of the markers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipped_disk

Could be a muscle ache, but did you ever have one that took you down for two weeks, and forced you to stay in bed?

If you don't know what medication helps you, for slipped discs it's a painkiller (Paracetamol 500mg every 6 hours), an anti-inflammatory drug (Diclofenac 50mg every 12 hours), and to help with the anxiety and to sleep a couple of hours, Xanax.

• Like 1

Before considering ANY of the many suggestions given you need to determine what the cause of the pain is and rule out serious structural causes. See a good orthopedic surgeon specializing in spinal problems. If it proves to be a soft tissue problem then indeed the right exercises may do the trick, but you could also harm yourself with exercise if in fact there is more going on.

• Like 1