Pattaya Police Arrest German In Fake Driving License Scam

Rimmer

Pattaya Police arrest German in Fake Driving License Scam

license-5.jpg

PATTAYA:--A German resident of Pattaya was arrested at the culmination of an undercover operation early on Wednesday Morning, accused of offering fake driving licenses to other foreigners.

Earlier, Mr. Daniel Wetzer aged 48 from Switzerland had reported the case to Pattaya Police. He explained how he had met Mr. Arthur Grudda aged 38 in Hua Hin. The pair discussed a service that Mr. Grudda can provide for a fee of 15,000 Baht where he claimed he could obtain Thai Driving Licenses direct from the Ministry of Transport without the license holder attending a testing center. Telephone numbers were exchanged and it transpired that both men resided in Pattaya.

Mr. Wetzer was suspicious and reported the alleged scam to Pattaya Police who organized an undercover operation whereby the money was handed over in exchange for the completed license.

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/68182/pattaya-police-arrest-german-fake-driving-license-scam/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-12-12

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

German Faker arrested selling forged Licenses

l-300x210.jpg

PATTAYA:--Pattaya: German man caught selling fake driving licences

Arthur Wilhelm Grudda , a German national, was arrested by police and found to be in possession of one of his own poor quality fakes which wouldn’t have passed the scrutiny of even the sight impaired.

His arrest followed a chance encounter by the police with one of his customers, a Swiss visitor, 48 year old Daniel Wetzer. Mr. Wetzer informed the police that he had bought a licence from Grudda, whom he met a month ago in the city.

A trap was laid for the faking foreigner and when he arrived, Police had the chance to hear him talking before they moved in to arrest him in a Thepprasit Road restaurant.

Police believe the man made a living from lying to other foreigners and lied by making claims that he had an “in” to the Licensing office” and could supply the genuine licences for 15,000.00 baht. The end product, as you can see below, doesn’t even resemble a modern Thai driving licence.

Full story:http://www.pattaya103.com/german-arrested-fake-license/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2012-12-12

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The old style licence would still just about be valid if it's made to look like it was issued about 4 years ago. However, the old licence cannot be used to rent cars overseas now as it has the date of birth in Bhuddist years, unlike the new ones which are accepted just about worldwide.

Edited by technologybytes

For all you guys wondering why anyone would pay 15K for something you can get for a fraction?

1) Time spent in the test center and chasing down documents would cost many expats here more than 15K in lost wages. (Yes, some do- a lot in fact. Get over it)

2) Not everyone has the documents required to get a license. Heck, not everyone here has a valid passport, much less a valid visa (and willing to darken the door of their embassy and a Thai government office for other needed papers).

I'd gladly pay someone 15K to bring me a legitimate Thai DL with no fuss or bother. Sadly, it wouldn't be legitimate if I got it that way.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

I did get my Thai licence through legitimate means, with some help from my GF. I'm colour blind with red and green, which wasn't a problem in Australia because a colour blindness test isn't required, but it is here. When the guy pointed out the colours on the chart my GF whispered what colour it was, so I cheated basically. When my 5 years is up I may have to go to her village and grease some palms.

Mr. Wetzer is just another foreigner that loves to make an impression with the police most probably working as an volunteer for the tourist police trying to screw his fellow countrymen. The volunteers all have something very tragic, they are mostly suffering from an inferiority complex. I never comprehend what these snitches are after. They will appear on the radar of the local police who do precisely the same (issuing licenses for money) and next time Mr. Wetzer is the hunted instead of the hunter. Today he screws a foreigner tomorrow he get screwed himself by a Thai hotshot that works with a foreigner which will be a typical case of somnamnaa.

True, the Tourist Police are bullies looking for an outlet, but they also get royally served and "allowed" to play this role because they play this pivotal role of directing how and what should happen.

In many Thai resort cities beginning with the letter P - there is a regular trade in "instant" driving licences. The normal going rate is 4,000 baht and if you have passport with valid visa, driver licence size photographs - your new licence - with international date and all legit stamps - properly laminated - will appear the same afternoon.

However, you can go to the Pattaya Expats Club and they will arrange for you to travel with 3 or 4 or 10 members to the Test Centre and ACTUALLY do your Testing - this costs - including the round trip - under 1500 baht - and you receive exactly the same driver's licence as above - but heck - you sleep very well and never worry about "extra problems" at a road block.

For those who are nervous of taking exams - you will notice that very often the "Clerks" at the Test Centre will give you a "pencil copy" of the writtten test. This costs anywhere from 500 baht to 1,000 baht. The examination paper you receive is correctly marked faintly in pencil - which is why they will also give you a pencil - you then complete the paper in ink - and hand it back. 3 of your exam questions are incorrect. Why? Because no one is perfect and a perfect paper may be scrutinised more carefully.

This last "route" is nothing to do with the Pattaya City Ex-Pat Club. But it does illustrate how very helpful Thai officials and administrators can be.

Mr. Wetzer is just another foreigner that loves to make an impression with the police most probably working as an volunteer for the tourist police trying to screw his fellow countrymen. The volunteers all have something very tragic, they are mostly suffering from an inferiority complex. I never comprehend what these snitches are after. They will appear on the radar of the local police who do precisely the same (issuing licenses for money) and next time Mr. Wetzer is the hunted instead of the hunter. Today he screws a foreigner tomorrow he get screwed himself by a Thai hotshot that works with a foreigner which will be a typical case of somnamnaa.

True, the Tourist Police are bullies looking for an outlet, but they also get royally served and "allowed" to play this role because they play this pivotal role of directing how and what should happen.

...in their role as liaison in a country where being "Tourist Police" is a specially allotted role that has more to do with the direction and flow of money, which is more important than what naive people think should be doing the right thing (i.e., me, thinking the tourist police are actually here to "help"). They have an agenda, my experience has shown, and it's not to make things morally superior here. I have not seen police in any country who are not corrupt, and I've lived in 3 continents, and I come from a family of lawyers. The police are what Martin Scorsese calls "muscle", in his film, "Gangs of New York", which essentially shows the role of police at it's basic level. There to back up whoever controls the money. If this one man got caught, it's because he rubbed someone the wrong way.

Edited by me313

In many Thai resort cities beginning with the letter P - there is a regular trade in "instant" driving licences. The normal going rate is 4,000 baht and if you have passport with valid visa, driver licence size photographs - your new licence - with international date and all legit stamps - properly laminated - will appear the same afternoon.

However, you can go to the Pattaya Expats Club and they will arrange for you to travel with 3 or 4 or 10 members to the Test Centre and ACTUALLY do your Testing - this costs - including the round trip - under 1500 baht - and you receive exactly the same driver's licence as above - but heck - you sleep very well and never worry about "extra problems" at a road block.

For those who are nervous of taking exams - you will notice that very often the "Clerks" at the Test Centre will give you a "pencil copy" of the writtten test. This costs anywhere from 500 baht to 1,000 baht. The examination paper you receive is correctly marked faintly in pencil - which is why they will also give you a pencil - you then complete the paper in ink - and hand it back. 3 of your exam questions are incorrect. Why? Because no one is perfect and a perfect paper may be scrutinised more carefully.

This last "route" is nothing to do with the Pattaya City Ex-Pat Club. But it does illustrate how very helpful Thai officials and administrators can be.

A few corrections to your post regards Pattaya as the process has changed. The photo for your license are taken by the Transport Office staff, you do not hand over your photo for laminating as the drivers license is similar to a credit card. Secondly the road rules exam is done at a computer terminal, it's not a written test paper

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1