Electricity On The Islands.

Rooo

It was February 2013 when the cable was laid from Khanom.... (photo taken Feb 15th @Maenam) March when it was actually connected, if memory serves....

Then been a few months of running the new lines and perhaps still are.... one still seeing them working on some of the main lines.

maenam%2520beach%2520%2520Feb%252015%252

The problem the PEA needs to come to grips with is clearing trees/ branches and vines, growing through the power lines... and doing a proper job of it.whistling.gif

On Soi 5 Maenam for instance, they trimmed the branches of many trees recently, but many are still touching the power lines crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.giffacepalm.gif

This is I think the main problem when the power goes out... heavy branches resting on the lines... or coconut fronds falling down... every time there is a heavy wind or rain rolleyes.gifbah.gif

I doubt the power would be turned off for "regular maintenance" at the end of the "regular work day"..... (?)

Just when people are getting home, eating, showering etc etc.

I use gas stove and cold water. wink.png

and candles? ... nothing worse than trying to find them, to start with and walking around the house / kitchen to find things, especially when cooking ! tongue.png

No matter the time of the power cut, you will always get people complaining about it:

Between 09.00 - 18.00: "Power cut during working hours, my business is losing money balblabal"

Between 18.00 - 23.00: " People are getting home, showering, blablabla"

Between 23.00 - 09.00: " I cant even sleep, no air con, no fan, it's too hot, i cant shower blalblalbal"

smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

I dont think there is a right time to do it but hey, it has to be done and there's only 24Hrs per day. We just have to be patient.

The power was out approx 7.15 to 9.15 pm in Bangrak and Plai Laem. Back on now

Seems like it's rolling around the island, that brings back memories! w00t.gif

Yes and if so what a stupid and thoughtless time to cut the power. Just when people are getting home, eating, showering etc etc. Perhaps they could apply some thought and common sense to their "rolling schedule"

Do you think those underwater cables are just phantoms because to be fair, were nearly one year on now and the electric system is still as <deleted> as it ever was?

No matter the time of the power cut, you will always get people complaining about it:

Between 09.00 - 18.00: "Power cut during working hours, my business is losing money balblabal"

Between 18.00 - 23.00: " People are getting home, showering, blablabla"

Between 23.00 - 09.00: " I cant even sleep, no air con, no fan, it's too hot, i cant shower blalblalbal"

smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

I dont think there is a right time to do it but hey, it has to be done and there's only 24Hrs per day. We just have to be patient.

The power was out approx 7.15 to 9.15 pm in Bangrak and Plai Laem. Back on now

Seems like it's rolling around the island, that brings back memories! w00t.gif

Yes and if so what a stupid and thoughtless time to cut the power. Just when people are getting home, eating, showering etc etc. Perhaps they could apply some thought and common sense to their "rolling schedule"

Do you think those underwater cables are just phantoms because to be fair, were nearly one year on now and the electric system is still as <deleted> as it ever was?

No people don't always complain at the time of a scheduled power cut.

Oh and yes, i have been patiently waiting for the electric to be fixed for about ten years now but thanks for the advicesmile.png

Unfortunately that is the exact reason why rolling power cuts usually happen between 6 - 8 pm. Peak demand. As you say, people returning home/hotel and switching on lights, a/c, fans and having a shower etc etc.

The underwater cables are not phantoms - I have seen them where they come ashore. But.... they are not connected to the grid yet.

Jimmy is also correct. We will always have power cuts on Samui. Even if they put in another 10 undersea cables. The problem is the weather and the flora. Big rain, strong winds, broken branches and 'bang' - no power.

It doesn't help either when others then hang all their cables (phone and internet lines), onto the electricity ones. BTW, do they ever use a spirit level, or something like that when they install those concrete pylons? :-)

Why would you need a spirit level they are self leveling poles. Dig a hole put pole in, place a little dirt wait for rain and then the pole will settle one way or the other. No one says they have to be straight.

Unfortunately that is the exact reason why rolling power cuts usually happen between 6 - 8 pm. Peak demand. As you say, people returning home/hotel and switching on lights, a/c, fans and having a shower etc etc.

The underwater cables are not phantoms - I have seen them where they come ashore. But.... they are not connected to the grid yet.

Jimmy is also correct. We will always have power cuts on Samui. Even if they put in another 10 undersea cables. The problem is the weather and the flora. Big rain, strong winds, broken branches and 'bang' - no power.

Power back on in Bophut now after a nice little too hour fai dap!! I'm starting to think these rolling cuts are following me around the islandbiggrin.png

Power back on in Bophut now after a nice little too hour fai dap!! I'm starting to think these rolling cuts are following me around the islandbiggrin.png

Carmen you will be happy to note we can't blame the electricity company this time. The reason for this cut was a big truck coming down the hill from Nathon going to-wards Maenam as you get to the bottom of the hill there are some nice house behind the white fences on the left well this truck sheared of one of the big high power poles he made a hell of a mess of his truck not sure he survived. They replaced the pole and power back in a couple of hours job well done for once.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It has been quite a while but... Power just went off in my area on Ghost Road behind Bang Rak. I was just starting to hear the pleasant sound of raindrops in the garden, when there was a gentle poof in the distance, and all went dark. Anyone else has power outage?

• 2 months later...

Blackout for the last 50 minutes, that big clap of thunder & lightning hit something alright.

Sir, sir, sir...it's all Jimmy's fault whistling.gif

Amazing no electric problems have been posted since Sept 9th! That has to be a longevity record for no power outage reports... clap2.gif(hope I have not jinks that! w00t.gifwink.png )

• Like 1

Blackout for the last 50 minutes, that big clap of thunder & lightning hit something alright.

Sir, sir, sir...it's all Jimmy's fault whistling.gif

Amazing no electric problems have been posted since Sept 9th! That has to be a longevity record for no power outage reports... clap2.gif(hope I have not jinks that! w00t.gifwink.png )

Yes sorry about that guys and gals.... w00t.gif .... next time I'll keep my mouth shut... (well maybe! tongue.pngwhistling.gif )

Not had a problem here, in my area of Maenam, despite very heavy rain over night and this morning!... no flooding around me yet, but not been out of the house yet.... thumbsup.gif