What Can A Tablet Do? (Cheapish Andropad Thing)

cbrer

Thinking of buying a cheapish Andropad/iNote/HTC mini-tablet for xmas.

Probably around 5000b.

One with a USB port. What sort of things can I do with one though? :huh: Never had a touchscreen device or computer that doesn’t run on Windows.

Can I:

Download loads of ebooks and use it as an e-reader? (very important for me)

Download ‘What Apps’? Not that I know what that (or they) are, but am interesting in hearing. :D

Watch videos (docos, movies, music vids etc), presumably no problem.

I only have DSL internet cable in my house, so I presume I also need to buy an wireless adapter to make it wireless.

Main thing is downloading free books and using it as an ereader (not going for a Kindle as I want the wife to be able to use it for all the other stuff a tablet can do too.)

Thanks.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, just reading that 'Whatsapp' is only a messaging service. I don't care about that.

I thought it was a program of some sort that you can download lots of applications/games etc!

So with one of these tablets can you easily download stuff like games, applications etc. for free?

Edited by cbrer

The difference in the screen on a Kindle for reading is amazing. Be sure to look at both. The display of fonts on a Kindle is a whole different technology from any tablet I've seen. I bought a good tablet for dual purpose, and only after that I saw the Kindle. Then I had to have both.

Well this would be a (thinly disguised) xmas present for the missus. So kindle is out of the equation. Thanks.

I will be taking it with during the day though and would be using it fro reading, few games and whatever, and whatever she can use it for during the evening.

Answers to the Q's most appreciated thanks.

Edited by cbrer

This sounds good:

Android Market:

All of the Android Tablets we sell include access to the Android Market. This means you will have access to 1000's of Apps to download! Android Apps download straight to your Jexaa Tablet and include the latest games, business utilities and multimedia tools. You will find everything you could ever need for your Tablet computer on the Market.

Games:

Browse the Android Market for all the latest games, from Angry birds and Need for Speed to Solitaire! Nearly all of our Tablets support Flash 10.1, so if you love games, make sure your Tablet has Flash support! The Accelerometer really comes into it's own with racing games; use the Tablet as the steering wheel!

Microsoft Office:

You can view, open and edit Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Excel documents with Docs2Go application.

Ebook reader:

Read all the latest E-books in ease from your Tablet PC with thousands of titles available for download online. Kindle for Android is available for free download allowing you to synchronise your purchased titles from Amazon. Most E-book formats are supported including PDF. For other formats, great free software such as Aldiko Reader can be downloaded through the Android Market.

http://www.jexaa.co.uk/canido

So Flash is important!

Are the cheapish ones Flash supported?

Thanks.

I use my tablet for all the things you mention.

apps are often free with adverts but I prefer to pay a few hundred baht to get away from the adverts.

eBooks are a pleasure to read, but I find that PDF files (for me) need the bigger screen as the do not resize like a text document can. (I have the 10.1).

With my Samsung note I listen to a lot of music and watch a lot of videos too. Before I bought it I was unsure of how much use it would get but have been surprised by how much I like it.

I even find that I watch videos on it leaving my wife free access to the TV and saving arguments.

• Like 1

^ Thanks.

I'm torn between a 7 or 9 inch. Will probably go for the 9 inch though.

I know nothing of 'Ebooks' and thought I would mainly be downloading PDF's and reading them that way. Glad to hear that other, better ways are possible. :)

Sure, you can do all the stuff you asked about with a lower cost Android tablet...most likely made in China or Thailand. I would make double sure it comes installed with Google Play to ensure you can download Apps and keep those Apps automatically updated through Google Play; some of the lower cost tablets are not compatible with Google Play which means you would have to download your Apps from other Apps sites/markets.

Flash is important to some Apps/website and all tablets will come with some version of Flash installed...as FYI Adobe (the maker of Flash) is no longer updating Flash for the Android operating systems past Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.X which a low cost tablet will probably come with. So it's pretty much up to the individual tablet manufacturers to tailor a version of Flash to work with their tablets and update it as necessary/if required...even if the tablet is running the later Android version of Jelly Bean 4.1.1 or later. But a lot of Apps don't use Flash or are moving away from it to HTML5. Just be sure the tablet comes with a version of Flash installed which is required for many Apps to run; no doubt it will and will probably be Flash version 10.2, 10.3 or 11.1 (11.1 was the last verson)...the version installed can be checked by going into the Applications menu.

I would just recommend you do some more research on various tablets, especially the hardware specs like screen resolution, memory installed, etc. There is an ongoing ThaiVisa thread titled "Choosing A Tablet" which provides a lot of good info on low cost Chinese/Thai tablets. Link

Good luck and Happy Holidays.

• Like 1

If the tablet does not have Jellybean (4.1/4.2) then flash isn't a problem as it will normally come with it. That is Android 4.0.x (Ice Cream Sandwich). Otherwise you will have to sideload Flash. So far my tablet has Jellybean 4.1.1 and I sideloaded Flash but still doesn't behave right.

• Like 1

^ Thanks.

I'm torn between a 7 or 9 inch. Will probably go for the 9 inch though.

I know nothing of 'Ebooks' and thought I would mainly be downloading PDF's and reading them that way. Glad to hear that other, better ways are possible. smile.png

I forgot to mention that although you can connect to your PC to download apps and ebooks, you would be much better off with a wireless router.

A few weeks ago there was another thread on this forum about transferring books to a phone or tab, that may be worth a read.

Depending on the type of books you like you can get newer titles from the likes of Amazon, but I prefer older classics that are out of copyright and these can be got from the likes of manybooks.net. I also have subscriptions to a number of magazines in PDF format which is a lot cheaper than arranging for overseas delivery.

• Like 1

If the tablet does not have Jellybean (4.1/4.2) then flash isn't a problem as it will normally come with it. That is Android 4.0.x (Ice Cream Sandwich). Otherwise you will have to sideload Flash. So far my tablet has Jellybean 4.1.1 and I sideloaded Flash but still doesn't behave right.
When I updated my Onda V971 tablet from ICS 4.0.X to Jelly Bean 4.1.1, Flash 11.1 was part of the JB upgrade...when it was still running ICS before the JB update it had Flash 10.3 installed. In both cases the Onda V971 came with Flash which could "not" be uninstalled by simply clicking the Uninstall button as that button was greyed out...greyed out since I expect Onda had tailored their ICS and JB firmware to only work with that particular version of Flash. And when I tried to install the latest verson of Flash from Google Play (it downloaded OK) the V971 would not let me install...said I needed to uninstall the current Flash version first...but a person couldn't uninstall the Flash version since the Uninstall function wouldn't allow it....Uninstall button greyed-out. Note: now I could have went ahead and uninstalled the current version of Flash by other means since the V971 comes "Rooted" but I decided against it since I figured the Flash version that came with the Onda V971 ICS or JB was tailored for the V971 and might cause problems if I uninstalled it and installed another Flash version. Plus, all my Apps which required Flash were working fine. I figure that unless the tablet allows normal Flash uninstall/update then it may not be a good idea to try another version of Flash. Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

When I updated my Onda V971 tablet from ICS 4.0.X to Jelly Bean 4.1.1, Flash 11.1 was part of the JB upgrade...when it was still running ICS before the JB update it had Flash 10.3 intalled. In both cases the Onda V971 came with Flash which could "not" be uninstalled by simply clicking the Uninstall button as that button was greyed out...greyed out since I expect Onda had tailed their ICS and JB to only work with that particular version of Flash.

I've heard that some Chinese tablets have gotten it implemented. In my case, I just got an ASUS tf700 and Chrome isn't happy with my sideloaded Flash 11.1.

Had no idea you could do all that........... the only tablet things I have seen are Thai girls [yep went into BKK 3 months ago] looking at themselves or doing there eyes or hair, so they have a cam......... thought they were expensive mirrors, like latest fashion thing to have...

Never to old to learn something new, just to old to see such a small screen for any length of time.

I forgot to mention that although you can connect to your PC to download apps and ebooks, you would be much better off with a wireless router.

A few weeks ago there was another thread on this forum about transferring books to a phone or tab, that may be worth a read.

Depending on the type of books you like you can get newer titles from the likes of Amazon, but I prefer older classics that are out of copyright and these can be got from the likes of manybooks.net. I also have subscriptions to a number of magazines in PDF format which is a lot cheaper than arranging for overseas delivery.

Thanks. I am exceedingly cheap. I want everything for it to be free, including my ebooks. So was planning on downloading them on torrents (through my main PC and then transferring them to the Tab), which I presume is easy enough.

I will also probably have to buy the wireless router(?) to plug my DSL cable into so it can connect to a wifi signal.

Edited by cbrer

Also the amount of memory should be considered. If only 8 or 16GB then it should have at least a SD or micro SD card slot for expansion.

Thanks.

TBH almost everything will be kept on my main PC and External HDD's, and will plug in a USB to watch/load stuff.

That's the plan anyway.

Thanks, I have to make a list of things to check.

It has Flash.

It has Google Play.

If only 8 or 16GB then it should have at least a SD or micro SD card slot for expansion.

That's three. smile.png

BTW, I suppose that none of these come with a DSL internet plug? It would mean not having to buy a whole wireless router.

Edited by cbrer

TBH almost everything will be kept on my main PC and External HDD's, and will plug in a USB to watch/load stuff.

In that case make sure the tablet has a proper micro or mini usb port on it to be able to plug the externals into. Seems becoming more common for them to be missing for cost competitive reasons. Of course if you have a wifi router then you can stream to the tablet from your pc.

• Like 1

Thanks. I am exceedingly cheap. I want everything for it to be free, including my ebooks. So was planning on downloading them on torrents (through my main PC and then transferring them to the Tab), which I presume is easy enough.

I will also probably have to buy the wireless router(?) to plug my DSL cable into so it can connect to a wifi signal.

There are many books available on torrents.

However I have found it hard to find individual books but going for a download of several humdred MB will give you a great selection if you like pot luck. I keep my collection of books and paperas on the PC in Calibre library (yes it s free) and then I can browse the library and select the book(s) to transfer to my tablet over the in house wi-fi.

The books on sites like Manybooks..net are free and legal but of course generally older as they are non copyright,

Edited by thaimite
  • Like 1

I don't know what your PC is, or if it's a PC. If it is, you don't need a router. You can enable ICS and it will become the router. The PC has to have both a wired and wireless ability, and your internet to your PC has to be wired. I can't see your topology so this is just one idea.

IF your PC has wired internet from the modem, then enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and the PC becomes a router. It has built in DHCP and then is the gateway for all wireless computers within range. I forget the max number of computers which can use it at once, but it's several. The PC will now assign itself and any wireless computers on the LAN non-routable IP addresses just as a router would. Your PC is now a wireless router.

It takes a little setup in your software, but all versions of Windows since (I think) Windows 98SE have this ability.

Google is your friend. Start here and go.

Edit. In reading again, if it happens that your PC is a tower and no wireless, then you can install a second wired network card if the tablet can be wired. One network card is wired to the modem and the other to the tablet. Again, Google is your friend, but we used to do this all the time before wireless routers became fast and cheap. The two wired ports were always fast, considering that at best we had DSL.

Edit again. It's early in the morning here. :) If your PC is a tower, you can also put a wireless expansion card in it and make that the gateway and have a wireless router. I pay about $15 US for wireless cards to enable towers to be wireless with my router, but the card could also be used as a gateway on any box that's wired to the modem.

Edited by NeverSure

I don't know what your PC is, or if it's a PC. If it is, you don't need a router. You can enable ICS and it will become the router. The PC has to have both a wired and wireless ability, and your internet to your PC has to be wired. I can't see your topology so this is just one idea.

IF your PC has wired internet from the modem, then enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and the PC becomes a router. It has built in DHCP and then is the gateway for all wireless computers within range. I forget the max number of computers which can use it at once, but it's several. The PC will now assign itself and any wireless computers on the LAN non-routable IP addresses just as a router would. Your PC is now a wireless router.

It takes a little setup in your software, but all versions of Windows since (I think) Windows 98SE have this ability.

Google is your friend. Start here and go.

Edit. In reading again, if it happens that your PC is a tower and no wireless, then you can install a second wired network card if the tablet can be wired. One network card is wired to the modem and the other to the tablet. Again, Google is your friend, but we used to do this all the time before wireless routers became fast and cheap. The two wired ports were always fast, considering that at best we had DSL.

Thanks.

My landlord lives in the house next door and he's graciously hooked up a DSL cable to come into our house from his 10m/b connection. This plugs straight into my PC. So I don't have any access to the router. I'll have to check it all out. Cheers.

Edited by cbrer

My landlord lives in the house next door and he's graciously hooked up a DSL cable to come into our house from his 10m/b connection. This plugs straight into my PC. So I don't have any access to the router. I'll have to check it all out. Cheers.

Is your PC a tower or a laptop? If laptop it should also have a wireless adapter built in. You enable ICS in the laptop's wireless, and it becomes a router and will connect to other computers including your new device wirelessly. I promise. You just need to read and follow directions about enabling Internet Connection Sharing (ICS.)

Is your PC a tower or a laptop? If laptop it should also have a wireless adapter built in. You enable ICS in the laptop's wireless, and it becomes a router and will connect to other computers including your new device wirelessly. I promise. You just need to read and follow directions about enabling Internet Connection Sharing (ICS.)

It's a Tower.

Actually I was reading your link, went through some of the settings and it seems it's only a few button clicks away (if that - On Windows 7). TBH I'd look at setting all that up after I buy the tablet.

Thanks for the great help. :)

OK, well in the tower you'll need a second NIC, and I'd go wireless. With that, not only could you connect your new toy, but friends could connect with laptops. Again, I pay about $15 US for a wireless NIC. Link I don't know what you'll pay for one in LOS. Prices seem to be similar.

Then you just enable ICS for the new NIC, and you have a wireless router.

• Like 1

1. You don't need a wireless router, a cheap repeater/range extender will do the job perfectly and connect your tablet and the PC with the Internet.
  2. Look for an Android tablet with HDMI output, so you can connect the device with your TV and watch movies or browse the Internet in Full-HD!
  3. Buy a tablet with a newer Dual-Core CPU. They are much faster/smoother than the older Single-Cores. (My newer Dual-Core renders Internet sites two/three time faster than my previous single core.)

• Like 1

1. You don't need a wireless router, a cheap repeater/range extender will do the job perfectly and connect your tablet and the PC with the Internet.
  2. Look for an Android tablet with HDMI output, so you can connect the device with your TV and watch movies or browse the Internet in Full-HD!
  3. Buy a tablet with a newer Dual-Core CPU. They are much faster/smoother than the older Single-Cores. (My newer Dual-Core renders Internet sites two/three time faster than my previous single core.)

You need a wireless router if you don't have one already in range and you want a wireless LAN, and his incoming internet is wired. A range extender/repeater lacks a DHCP server and an internal switch and can't itself route traffic by IP. It just acts as a, well, repeater of what the router is doing. It's like a relay in a way.

The best ways to get wireless from a wired modem is to hook a wireless router to the modem, or to enable ICS in the gateway computer if it has a wireless NIC. Not Gateway brand, but the gateway to the internet.