Just Had An Accident.

WebBangkok

I just hit a motorbike in the carpark. The guy has no license and not admitting faiult but I got Thai witnesses with me saying its his faultand got the insurance company on there way...

I was just driving straight on the main path and he just came out of the carpark really fast and didnt even look. Him and his gf were lucky as a shoe was under one tire.

Im thinking i should win as he doesnt have a license and i got witnesses backing me...

What do u think?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Let the insurance company rep handle everything, you sit back and chill.

Exactly. The witness is a key element in this and has a lot of weight with the police. The insurance person will be the intermediary between you, the other individual and the police. This is assuming the police are involved. This is based on personal experience.

License or no license is not important, the only difference is a fine for him.

Let the insurance handlte things, but be prepared that your insurance may ask you to pay for the accident, provided you have first class insurance and he has no money. It shouldn't happen but it does happen. If you don't want to do that, stick to your guns.

I find l have my eyes unconsciously glued to every side road or opening cos of whats happened to you. Where l am it really is a daily occurrence, near accident that is, and for the life of me l do not understand the natives logic, as virtually everyone does it. sad.png

• Like 2

I'm just glad to read that you are all okay and noone hurt. What was the extent of damage to the car?

The damage is estimated to be about 5,000 baht from the insurance guy, the right bumper bar has about 10 thick scratches and there is a hole and crack through bumper bar. I think 5,000 is probably a little too much, but nothing serious.

nearly all m/bike riders drive out of sois and filling stations without looking and its not just the young guys, its so easy to have a coming together and even if you get a good result it still a lot of unwanted hassle that nobody needs.

Well, that is why we are all taught to slow down at intersections and side roads. You may be in the right, and have a right of way... But avoiding an accident takers precedence. It is the same with people pushing to get into your lane and not following the queue... It might be worth closing them out to show your anger, but is it worth a scratch or the complication of an insurance issue? For me, not, so I happily give way whenever that is required. Bikers require me to always have my eyes on my mirrors at all times. Defensive driving as I was taught at my school definitely helps.

nearly all m/bike riders drive out of sois and filling stations without looking and its not just the young guys, its so easy to have a coming together and even if you get a good result it still a lot of unwanted hassle that nobody needs.

Well, that is why we are all taught to slow down at intersections and side roads. You may be in the right, and have a right of way... But avoiding an accident takers precedence. It is the same with people pushing to get into your lane and not following the queue... It might be worth closing them out to show your anger, but is it worth a scratch or the complication of an insurance issue? For me, not, so I happily give way whenever that is required. Bikers require me to always have my eyes on my mirrors at all times. Defensive driving as I was taught at my school definitely helps.

...we mast have gone to the same school biggrin.png ...on the other hand,I've noticed,if you let one driver sneak in,they all will try try to squeeze in,one after another...

• Like 1

...we mast have gone to the same school biggrin.png ...on the other hand,I've noticed,if you let one driver sneak in,they all will try try to squeeze in,one after another...

Yes but there's closing a gap and there's outright stupidity.

Well done getting the wife on the scene, nothing says take responsibility for your actions more than a Thai woman used to a westerner's lack of jai yen yen...

Sent from Android please allow errors in type or judgment.

Edited by 2unique

It's because car drivers are supposed to leave a lane on the left for m/cs to travel along.

It's why foreigners in cars cause so many crashes involving m/cs.

The Thai m/c driver assumes all car drivers are Thai and understand the rules of the road.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

The Thai m/c driver assumes all car drivers are Thai and understand the rules of the road.

cheesy.gif Sometimes you crack me up Tommo.

• Like 2

Be happy that just a shoe was under your wheel. Let your insurance guy deal with it. There'll be a meeting with a cop, (if they're involved), you and the guy who'd caused the accident.

The cops make an offer, if the guy's willing to pay that, or even less, case is solved. If there's no settlement possible you might have to leave your car at the cops until somebody shows up.

I had the 'luck' that a flying motorcycle hit my front bumper. Glad that it wasn't the guy who drove on a tractor. Freaking nothing happened to him.

A lot of wasted time......biggrin.png

Edited by sirchai

It's because car drivers are supposed to leave a lane on the left for m/cs to travel along.

It's why foreigners in cars cause so many crashes involving m/cs.

So you are arguing that foreigners drive tight in the curb and Thais don't?! What nonsense. Everyone more or less drives a meter from the curb, be they foreigner or Thai, from what i have seen, but when a motorcycle swings out from a turning, it invariably travels on arc that is wider than one meter, especially if it is taken at speed and without looking, and so if you happen to be passing in your car at the precise moment a bike turns into the road, a collision is quite likely and hard to avoid. You could understand this madness more if it wasn't the motorcycle riders lives the lives that are put on the line. Laziness and haste seem to get the better of sanity and self preservation.

Hmm, vehicles on the left have right of way. Is that the reason roundabouts are such a mess?

That is odd as I know in a roundabout the one on the right that has already entered into the roundabout has the right of way.

I have a feeling that that is a bad translation. It comes from a law firms site and my guess is that on reading it an american substituted right for left as that is what he is used to.

Hmm, vehicles on the left have right of way. Is that the reason roundabouts are such a mess?

That is odd as I know in a roundabout the one on the right that has already entered into the roundabout has the right of way.

I have a feeling that that is a bad translation. It comes from a law firms site and my guess is that on reading it an american substituted right for left as that is what he is used to.

Sorry, Americans don't do roundabouts either.

But does explain why the few in LOS are a bloody shambles. The law in most countries dictates that traffic already on the roundabout does have right of way. However, I bet if someone get's sideswiped from the left while already in the roundabout and quotes the 'junction' law as stated earlier, the MiB will say, "But this is a roundabout, not a junction. You pay!"