The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Thai Express (chain restaurant from Singapore) at Royal Garden Mall, ground floor level beachside front.

I glanced in there today whilst on my way to Sizzler for a salad lunch. I was surprised to see it quite full with what looked like Thai diners. The prices are way too high for my taste so that's as close as I'm likely to get!

Yes, I noticed the customers looked mostly Thai as well. Some might take that as a good sign.

• Like 1

Yes, Centara Corporation offers good buffets, but rips you off on water, because they can.

An opposite of Centara Corp. is Everest Indian restaurant, where I dined again this evening.

Everest is a mom 'n' pop Indian, hidden down a side soi (soi 10 on the dark side of Second Road).

So nobody goes there, tho the Scandinavian restaurant next door is crowded every evening.

It's a strange scene. Two small restaurants, side-by-side, on a side soi; one crowded with convivial Northern Europeans; the other empty, tho open and welcoming. It's like this every evening.

It was an easy choice for me. I like Indian much more than Danish (food that is).

I can relate to my tablet much better than I can chat with foreigners; Everest's Wifi is excellent.

So is the food! IMHO the Indian mom here can really cook well.

I would like to nominate her as the up 'n' coming Mrs. Balbir of Pattaya.

I've become addicted to her Kadhai Chicken (200) and her Daal Makhani (140). What a Combo!

But this Sunday evening I was again the only customer. My emotions were mixed.

The flavors were heavenly. It was quiet at one of the four tables inside as I dined.

But I couldn't help notice the crowd outside next door, yet again, as always.

I feel sorry for the Indian mom who can cook well, but has a most unfortunate location.

May I appeal to those few of you who might like to save a starving Indian restaurant, to spend just a littlle bit more in the Mom-n-Pops, spend just a little bit less in the Corporatocracy that threatens to rule us all.

Yes, that Friday buffet isnt bad but watch out for the water (local, plain, small bottle) which will set you back another 100B or so. That's simply a rip-off and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Haven't yet tried the Saturday one.

It's only the British who have the Indian curry addiction but we like to eat it late and our Thai girls hate Indian food.

• Like 1

The best burger I had was at the mam and pop place soi 21 so buakao.Real brisket not minced slops. It's speciality is pork ribs

I don't follow you. Burgers have ground (mince) meat by definition. Brisket? Huh?

More on Ukraine Restaurant, mentioned here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608166-the-hit-and-run-restaurant-review-thread/?p=10722331

Revisited to try some new dishes.

Had the refreshingly COLD Okroshka soup with chicken. Just small cubes of chicken and made with their excellent Kvas. 150.

This was the first time I've ever had Okroshka soup anywhere.

It kind of reminded me of Gazpacho. Not the flavor but the cold and the chopped vegetables.

I loved it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okroshka

VARENYKY with cottage cheese. 150

This is a Ukrainian classic. Kind of like large ravioli dumplings served with sour cream.

I actually tried to order cottage cheese with dill but there was no dill. Other options were cabbage, potatoes, cottage cheese no dill, or MIX

licklips.gif The pasta was remarkably good.licklips.gif Perfectly al dente. Sure tasted like gourmet home cooking.

The flavor of the cheese was on the SWEET side. Not complaining at all because that flavor worked very well with the dish.

Highest Jingthing marks.clap2.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierogi#Ukraine_and_Ruthenia

I was able to determine this time that there is a Ukrainian lady CHEF and the lady server is Russian. So didn't want to bring up Eurovision. whistling.gif

Looks interesting , I learned something new today . Pierogy or Ruthenia is a common dish all over Eastern Europe, and even in the US in some states.

Looking forward for a visit.

The best burger I had was at the mam and pop place soi 21 so buakao.Real brisket not minced slops. It's speciality is pork ribs

I don't follow you. Burgers have ground (mince) meat by definition. Brisket? Huh?

A type of gourmet burger uses ground beef brisket. The taste is delicious. Try it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-burger-bar-recipe.html

Bronx pizza by the slice open late closed Tuesdays on soi Diana east of 2nd road on the north side of street. NO ambiance, but good slices of New York Style pizza, very thin crust. Two slices 115 baht, one for 70, topping included, already baked. The pies are a bit pricey (480?) but I imagine large and arroy.

The new harbor mall has an all you can eat Thai buffet for around 120 Baht, I have not yet tried it but looks ok for the price and amount of food and your Thai companion might be happy there.

• Thanks 1

Sorry but nowhere on any map I can find this restaurant, any help ?

Hi, I am looking for a vietnamese restaurant and it seems that there is only one ? I can't find it on any map.

• Like 1

Hi, I am looking for a vietnamese restaurant and it seems that there is only one ? I can't find it on any map.

I have posted the address, directions and a map on this thread.

If that is not enough, then nothing is.

Surprise is very good.

The name of the restaurant is Surprise? coffee1.gif

You don't know JT ? ...... surprised.

Sorry I checked everywhere and I cannot find the map.

I have posted the address, directions and a map on this thread.

If that is not enough, then nothing is.

OK, I think I know what you mean about the ribs place on Soi 21 now. You mean the place with the adverts for the cheap ribs? Never been inspired to try that place as I'm not really big on ribs. Anyway, about the burger supposedly made with ground brisket meat, is that for real, and is it actually good, or just cheap? Cheers.

OK, I think I know what you mean about the ribs place on Soi 21 now. You mean the place with the adverts for the cheap ribs? Never been inspired to try that place as I'm not really big on ribs. Anyway, about the burger supposedly made with ground brisket meat, is that for real, and is it actually good, or just cheap? Cheers.

I was thinking the same, brisket to my mind is tough and cheap.

A type of gourmet burger uses ground beef brisket. The taste is delicious. Try it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-burger-bar-recipe.html

Thanks for your help. I could not bothered to explain and anyway the original burgers were sliced meat and not minced up left overs. Minced meat/burger beef/has always been, whether on local butcher level or Mc D's industrial level,about reclaiming inedible meat stuffs including tumours, eyelids, teats, factory floor scrapings etc. So do me a favour jingthing please ignore my recommendations and eat the shut you know about.

How rude. So these sandwiches which are obviously not burgers are delicious then at the specific place mentioned in Pattaya rather than some gourmet place in London? I happen to like brisket meat but had never heard of a brisket burger before. Asking someone polite other than the jag off (yeah used to live in chitown) who called sliced meat burgers.

Heck I'll probably try it. Sliced brisket on bread sounds good.

BTW ... dude people can't read your mind ... post stuff and people do often ask follow up queries.

Also nobody said mcds is good certainly not me but there is such a thing as burgers made with high quality ground beef.

Edited by Jingthing

Just ate at a new place insideTukom (that computer/phone store) called The Coffee Club. It was actually good. They have a 99 bhat special now for a select number of dishes, including two that I like: Sweet and Sour Chicken, and Singapore Noodles. The food is made with quality ingredients. And the staff are nice.

• Like 1

A new Ukrainian coffee shop/cafe opened up 1 week ago in soi Chaiyapruek. It's located next to Chlll Out coffee or opposite 7 eleven. I spoke to the Ukrainian owner, he speaks good English. Since I was a new customer he offered me a free coffee and homemade chocolate, because he wanted my opinion and feedback. Well I gave him a positive feedback, not to be nice but the black coffee with milk was very good. His Ukrainian wife makes home made cakes and chocolate. Try the cinnamon bun with jam , it was delicious.

Please give this place a try if you are in this area. I would rate this 45 baht coffee as one of the best in Jomtien. And the cakes from 35 baht and up. Not too sweet as many Thai cakes, so this is the real deal from Ukrainia.

I wish them all the luck and hope they can survive.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Just ate at a new place insideTukom (that computer/phone store) called The Coffee Club. It was actually good. They have a 99 bhat special now for a select number of dishes, including two that I like: Sweet and Sour Chicken, and Singapore Noodles. The food is made with quality ingredients. And the staff are nice.

A few branches around town.

The original being in Royal Garden.

A few branches around town.

The original being in Royal Garden.

Yes, but it's my impression the one at Tukcom has a different menu. I haven't seen the 99 baht Asian noodle stuff promoted at their other places. I could be wrong, as I've never eaten at any of them.